BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2014 3:08 am  #1

Benedict and Internet Fame

Fascinating article about celebrities and the disconnect between their internet fame and their 'real world' recognition. Benedict is featured prominently:

"To a certain group of fans, Benedict Cumberbatch is the most important person on Earth. These people — Cumberbitches, as they have named themselves on Twitter and elsewhere ...When he was recently denied the American cover of Time (he remained on international editions), the Cumberbitches pilloried the magazine on Twitter.Time presumably made this decision because a majority of its readers have no idea who Benedict Cumberbatch is. Despite a prominent if spoiler-protected role in the very profitable Star Trek Into Darkness and 3.2 million viewers for Sherlock — plus, of course, the hard work of the Cumberbitches, who tweeted about him roughly 700,000 times this year — Cumberbatch only has a 10 percent awareness rating in America, according to the market research firm E-Score, which provided data for Vulture’s Most Valuable Stars equation. Put bluntly: He is an enormous star on the Internet — outside of that, not so much.

"
http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/how-valuable-is-internet-fame-in-hollywood.html

what really surprised me was that Jennifer Lawarence has such a low recognition rating - not as low as Ben's, but fairly low.  Read the entire article. 

Last edited by kaye (May 25, 2014 3:09 am)

May 25, 2014 4:15 am  #2

Re: Benedict and Internet Fame

We are all obviously way ahead of the curve.

......................and did they have to do the "bitches" thing?  It's so two years ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 25, 2014 7:06 am  #3

I can't work out if they're having a go at Ben, at his fans, or both!!!
I think it's true of many celebs that they're more famous on the internet than in real world terms - they're definitely more subjected to hateful abuse on it, too, so it's very much a double edged sword.
Ben looks so different in all of his roles too - so people might know him as Sherlock, rather than by his real name.
I think he's yet to establish himself as in the big league as an Actor in terms of recognition, and I think we're all sensible enough to realise that.
But he's got the talent and ability, and he's on his way, that's for sure!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 7:34 am  #4

Oh he's way up there, he just hasn't received the awards he deserves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 7:54 am  #5

I agree with that, definitely. I actually find it quite sad that (as far as I'm aware) he, too, hasn't received a BAFTA for Sherlock; strange as it seems, I don't think his acting performance in the role, and the thought he's put into portraying the character, really gets enough acknowledgement.
But for global recognition and for recognition as a Movie star, I think he himself knows that's still a work in progress.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 8:07 am  #6

I think Star Trek moved him on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 11:51 am  #7

Well, he's not as famous as Tom Cruise, or Christian Bale, but he's getting there! Too rapid a rise in fame isn't healthy either. But the downside to this not-so-famous state is, as Tinks has said, probably hindering him from getting the award worthy recognition he deserves. And it's really high time that he gets recognized for his talent! And not just be clickbait on the Internet. 

May 25, 2014 12:05 pm  #8

Honestly, I am not sure if I would want him to be as famous as Cruise or Pitt (apart from the fact that as an actor Tom Cruise has nothing on Benedict). He has a totally different background as an actor. I would not want to see him in most of the parts Cruise has played. I see him more in the category of actors like Ian McKellen or Jeremy Irons who are well-known and respected but not in such crazy Hollywood never-without-a-bodyguard dimensions.  

And as for the Cumberbitches - I never want to read that word again. Or see otters in connection with him. Or read silly jokes about his name. Please. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 25, 2014 12:08 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 25, 2014 12:08 pm  #9

What Susi said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 25, 2014 12:23 pm  #10

Yep
Not a Tom Cruise but I want people to define him by, and recognise him for, his work and not for his fans, if that makes sense.
And for him to be on the Arts and reviews sections of newspapers and magazines, rather than papped shots in the gossip columns.

Last edited by Tinks (May 25, 2014 12:28 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 12:32 pm  #11

Agreed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 25, 2014 12:55 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

Or read silly jokes about his name. Please. 

I am still trying to wrap my brain around what's the big deal with a perfectly normal first name like Benedict and an easy to pronounce and phonetically spellable last name like Cumberbatch!

Benedict is a super common first name in my culture; there are two in my immediate family. And what the heck is so hard about Cumber(cumbersome, Cumberland)batch?!

I have a ridiculous name that is unpronounceable and difficult to spell that I avoid using as much as possible and every time I hear a stupid joke about Benedict's lovely name, especially when he's making it, I wish I could reach across the screen and show him what a real pain in the %&$#$ name sounds like!

As for internet fame versus IRL fame, I hope for his sake that he manages to keep a little anonymity. It's not fun when you start getting recognized at the store while buying toilet paper or people recognize your house and knock on the door so they can meet you.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 25, 2014 4:02 pm  #13

SusiGo wrote:

Honestly, I am not sure if I would want him to be as famous as Cruise or Pitt (apart from the fact that as an actor Tom Cruise has nothing on Benedict). He has a totally different background as an actor. I would not want to see him in most of the parts Cruise has played. I see him more in the category of actors like Ian McKellen or Jeremy Irons who are well-known and respected but not in such crazy Hollywood never-without-a-bodyguard dimensions.  

And as for the Cumberbitches - I never want to read that word again. Or see otters in connection with him. Or read silly jokes about his name. Please. 

I agree with your words in 200%

I find it prefectly ok that Benedict is not so recognizable because it shows that he is known and appreciated because of his hard and decent work and he is not "famous because of being famous"  like some of the Hollywood's stars.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 25, 2014 5:25 pm  #14

I'm not an expert but for me, if one of ten people in the USA recognises you, it is fame! And it's only America, what about the rest of the world? Also, people who use Internet exist in "real life" so of course he is known in the real life. Sure, there are people who don't use Internet but there are also people who don't watch any films and TV shows, and it would be something wrong with Benedict's career if they recognised him. So when they say it's "only" 10% or less than 50% for Ryan Gosling is "a low awareness", I'm glad it's only 10%.

And I can't agree more with mary. No stupid jokes about Benedict's name and let him have some privacy and anonymity! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 26, 2014 2:17 pm  #15

I find that original article a bit US-centric and inaccurate.

Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan is known as an actor to 4 billions of people and is loved by them, yet I doubt he would be recognised by an average US person. What does it says about his fame?

Also, the fame of many Hollywood stars is constructed artificially and those people are known for issues other than acting. Hollywood seems to be in a deep creative crisis for a long time now and the formula driven movies spilled out from there are not exactly challenging for a really good actors. Personally, I would like to see Benedict in UK productions more than in the American ones - they seem far more interesting to me.

Last edited by nakahara (May 26, 2014 2:23 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 26, 2014 2:20 pm  #16

I'm just selfish and prefer it when he's in this country!

May 26, 2014 3:02 pm  #17

Completely agree about preferring to see him in UK productions - I think they suit him better and I think his roles are bigger, too. I personally am far, far more excited at the prospect of seeing him as Richard III, than seeing him in a bit part in a Hollywood Movie, in fact there is some fantastic TV being made now, if you look for it and I feel like he could walk into a great TV show easily, rather than this seemingly endless kicking his heels while his Movie projects get pushed back.
I'm as "guilty" as anyone else of drooling over the Monaco pictures, and if someone offered me a ticket for that weekend, I'd bite their hand off!! So I don't blame him for going, but those pictures will now be all over the internet for us fans to gaze at, whereas he's not got a film or TV show out for quite some time... Yesterday, as much as it was nice to see him, I found myself wishing he'd keep his head down for a bit and get back to being an Actor:/
But, hey, it's his life and if he feels he wants to try to crack it as a Movie Actor, then of course that's up to him.

And yet again, I've dragged a thread off topic - sorry

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 26, 2014 3:12 pm  #18

I agree with many things you say.
However, I think he has been doing all this non-acting stuff in order to stay in the eye of the public (although the F1 things may also have been fun for him). He has had no acting work for months. I suppose his agency and publicists recommended at least some of the events he participated in. The media tend to forget people quickly which is a shame but there you are. 

May 26, 2014 3:27 pm  #19

I think it's a double edged sword, though - I honestly understand the various reasons behind some of the stuff he's doing this year, but I'm beginning to think there's too much of it.
It might not even be the case that there are no offers - I mean he has two very exciting projects lined up for next year, and who knows what else he might be in talks for.
But all the public appearance stuff this year is giving people the idea that he has no work - and I can't thnk that's a good idea. I really don't want people accusing him of being famous just for being famous, you know? He's better than that.
I'm sure his publicists know their stuff, but sometimes I do wonder...

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 26, 2014 4:36 pm  #20

He can say no!
As long as he doesn't become a full time sports presenter, I don't mind!

Board footera