BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2014 3:51 am  #1

To fans of both “Sherlock” and the Jeremy Brett series

If you were a fan of “His Last Vow” then I recommend “The Master Blackmailer.”  It is a feature film from 1992 that is an extended adaptation of “The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.” You will probably enjoy seeing the similarities and differences between that episode and the original story that is being depicted here (for example, details such as Milverton’s Mansion being called “Appledore Towers" as well as a Holmes having a fake romance).  The Blackmailer this time is played by Robert Hardy and just like Lars Mikkelson, he does a great job portraying the despicable snake that is C.A.M. I personally find it to be one of the darkest and most entertaining of adaptations that Granada made.

Really worth a look if your interested, Here are some links:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102416/

and if you want to watch it on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHH-K4JHF-I

Last edited by BrettHolmes (November 6, 2014 11:36 pm)

May 12, 2014 11:23 pm  #2

Re: To fans of both “Sherlock” and the Jeremy Brett series

Yeah, you're right, it's an awesome adaptation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 24, 2014 9:04 am  #3

Thanks for share…

harry

October 27, 2014 8:06 am  #4

"The Master Blackmailer" with Jeremy Brett as Holmes is one of my Granada favourites.
All the original stories to read can also be found on
http://sherlock-holm.es/stories/html/cano.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 24, 2015 12:12 am  #5

The "Master Blackmailer" was a great version of Holmes, Jeremy Brett was a gifted actor that portrayed the Sherlock that I had envisioned while reading my dad's novel when I was seventeen. I'm 55 now, but I still read the Complete Works of Holmes. Before I retired  I have it on Kindle so I could pass the time in between details required for my work, and still re-read the stories over again when I am sitting in my deer blind. I do not care for the new version of Holmes because I prefer the old Victorian lifestyle. But to each there own,that is what makes art so interesting.

Board footera