BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2012 9:23 am  #1

British Academy Television Craft Awards Nominations Announced

http://www.bafta.org/press/british-academy-television-craft-awards-nominations-announced-for-2012,192,SNS.html

Seven nominations for Great Expectations
Five nominations for Frozen Planet and Birdsong
Four nominations for Appropriate Adult
Downton Abbey, Top Boy, Sherlock and The Crimson Petal And The White all receive three nominations
The X Factor, Terry Pratchett’s Choosing To Die, The Royal Wedding and The Hour have two nominations each in a wide-open race for the Broadcasters
This prestigious ceremony once again justifies its reputation as the most loved within the industry. Supporting their colleagues and presenting Awards on the night will be Shaun Dooley, Nicholas Parsons, Andrew Scott, Joe Thomas and Kierston Wareing. More names to be announced.

A hugely diverse range of programmes compete in each category for the coveted BAFTA masks. Leading the way with seven nominations is BBC One’s three-part adaptation, Great Expectations, starring Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Douglas Booth.

Tying for second place with five nominations each are the BBC’s natural history epic Frozen Planet, which took viewers on a captivating journey to one of the most remote parts of the world, and Birdsong, the BBC’s war-time adaptation of the bestselling book.

Four nominations go to the ITV1 contemporary two-part drama Appropriate Adult, based on the true story of serial killer Fred West and the events between the Wests' arrests in 1994 and his suicide on New Year's Day, 1995.

Drama continues to do well at this year’s Awards with ITV’s international hit Downton Abbey, Channel 4’s gripping rendition of inner-city urban drug and gang culture Top Boy, BBC One’s modern re-telling of Sherlock and BBC Two’s journey into a Victorian tale of love, lust, desire and revenge with The Crimson Petal And The White all receiving three nominations each.

The nominees in the Break-Through Talent category are writer Tom Basden for the university-based comedy Fresh Meat, co-producer Kwadjo Dajan for Appropriate Adult, writer Stefan Golaszewski for the unique couple comedy Him & Her and Clare Johns producer/director for The Truth About Adoption (Panorama), which highlights the human cost of the 65,000 children in Britain looking to be placed within a new family.

The British Academy Television Craft Awards recognise skills across 18 different categories: Break-Through Talent sponsored by Sara Putt Associates, Costume Design, Digital Creativity, Director: Factual sponsored by ProductionBase, Director: Fiction sponsored by ProductionBase: Director: Multi-Camera sponsored by The Farm LA, Editing: Factual, Editing: Fiction, Entertainment Craft Team sponsored by Hotcam, Make-up and Hair Design sponsored by MAC, Original Music, Photography: Factual, Photography & Lighting: Fiction, Production Design, Sound: Factual, Sound: Fiction, Visual Effects and Writer.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 16, 2012 9:27 am  #2

Re: British Academy Television Craft Awards Nominations Announced

Television Craft Awards
Writing, make-up, editing, lighting, special effects... these are the crafts that TV is built upon. BAFTA's annual Television Craft Award honour the behind-the-scenes professionals in TV production. The Awards in 2012 will take place on 13 May at The Brewery in East London.

Eligibility and Judging procedures for the British Academy Television Craft Awards.

This year's British Academy Television Craft Awards will take place on Sunday 13 May 2012. The following information outlines the Awards’ entry and voting procedures:

ELIGIBILITY

Entries are invited for the British Academy Television Craft Awards from cable, satellite and terrestrial broadcasters and independent production companies. Individuals may also enter themselves.
All programmes in contention must have had their original transmission in the UK between March 1 2011 - February 15 2012.
VOTING PROCEDURE

The TV-voting constituency of the Academy casts its votes online, for all those programmes entered according to the aforementioned criteria.
Those programmes which have attracted the most votes from the Academy membership are then put up for further scrutiny by category juries specially selected by the Academy Television Committee.
Each jury, which consists of nine individuals (with a quorum of seven) aims to be balanced in age, sex, experience, ethnicity and in broadcasting allegiances, with a track record of achievement in the genre and with no direct association with a short-listed programme. It must also comprise a real level of expertise within the category. These juries decide upon the four nominations and the winner of the Awards.

Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia has 3 nominations

EDITING: FICTION
Charlie Phillips - Sherlock (A Scandal In Belgravia)
BBC One/Hartswood Films for BBC Wales in co-production with Masterpiece

SOUND: FICTION
John Mooney, Jeremy Child, Howard Bargroff, Doug Sinclair - Sherlock (A Scandal In Belgravia)
BBC One/ Hartswood Films for BBC Wales in co-production with Masterpiece

WRITER
Steven Moffat - Sherlock (A Scandal In Belgravia)
BBC One/ Hartswood Films for BBC Wales in co-production with Masterpiece

Last edited by kazza474 (April 16, 2012 9:30 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 16, 2012 9:43 am  #3

Let's keep our fingers crossed, thumbs pressed or whatever you good luck 'thing' is wherever you live.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 16, 2012 9:45 am  #4

YAY, come on guys, they deserve more awards!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 16, 2012 10:10 am  #5

Yay!!!! =) Come on Sherlock! It HAS to win!!!! At least one award... People don't understand how epic it is!!! =) =)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 16, 2012 10:22 am  #6

I do!  I do!

April 16, 2012 10:29 am  #7

I do too!

BUT!!

I will get really angry if Martin and Benedict don't get their awards. Very angry.

And I would have nominated Steve Thompson for TRF, not Moffat for ASiB. But anyway I'm happy for it.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 16, 2012 10:41 am  #8

They are good actors. Correction: Unbelievable amazing actors. They and the rest of the cast have those characters down to a T. And yes: I have seen other Sherlocks...
My mum will want downton abbey to win.. =( she does "downtoning" like we do sherlocking!
Can't wait to watch it! (its on the 27th may isn't it?)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 16, 2012 10:45 am  #9

Irene_Adler wrote:

I do too!

BUT!!

I will get really angry if Martin and Benedict don't get their awards. Very angry.

And I would have nominated Steve Thompson for TRF, not Moffat for ASiB. But anyway I'm happy for it.

I think when you look at the two episodes, Scandal is the far more intricate of the two in all aspects; technically and story wise. Reichenbach just has a lot of puzzles in it; it is more written with the viewer in mind.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 7:19 am  #10

So on the back of a tweet by Loo Brealey, I had to go explore our nominations!

[url=http://www.bafta.org/television/awards/nominees-winner-2012,3256,BA.html]Nominations[/url] for Sherlock include:

Leading Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch

Supporting Actor: Andrew Scott & Martin Freeman (against each other?! NOOOOOO)

YouTube Audience Award: Sherlock. If we don't win this, it'll be YOUR FAULT *glares at all the UK based Sherlockians*

Subsequent tweets by Amanda Abbington and Loo Brealey did, however, point out that Sherlock is not listed in the Best Drama category. WHERE DO WE APPEAL?????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 24, 2012 7:26 am  #11

Arrgh,   a showdown in the Supporting Actor category.. congrats Martin and Andrew!

At least B.C. should be a slam-dunk for Best Actor I hope.

Crazy that Sherlock as a series is not nominated for Best Drama.

April 24, 2012 8:15 am  #12

Yeah, that's completely bizarre!

How do we vote for the other one?

April 24, 2012 8:20 am  #13

According to Loo on Twitter, Sherlock isn't eligible for Best Drama.

According to cumberbatchweb, there were rule changes and had it been nominated it would have to have been in the miniseries category.

So I am wondering A) why isn't it in the miniseries category? And B) MINISERIES???? Seriously? Do miniseries' run in seasons normally???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 24, 2012 8:22 am  #14

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, that's completely bizarre!

How do we vote for the other one?

I linked to it in the OP.
YouTube Audience Award
On my phone so hopefully that worked!

April 24, 2012 8:34 am  #15

Edit: Argh! Now Moff says we WERE eligible but didn't make the final four. How not???
(Note the Moff seems to think we should be happy with the awards and nominations we got, and that's valid, but still....)

April 24, 2012 8:35 am  #16

Here's the full list

http://static.bafta.org/files/tv-nominations-in-12-list-1425.pdf

I'm a bit disappointed that Sherlock didn't make into the final four (miniseries or drama, whatever it was), but I'm sure they'll get the audience award.
It's also a bit disapponting for me that Downton Abbey only has one nomination though it is for the great Maggie (I love her), that Spooks only has one as well (best drama series) on its last chance and... no Doctor Who? Wasn't it eligible this year?

I want Benedict to get his award this year, but take a look a it... John Simm is there too. That would be a hard competition, I think. And Martin, of course, is absolutely fantastic, but the big surprise for me and the great joy is seeing Andrew Scott nominated. I really wanted him there and now my heart is divided. Of course Martin is great but... this Moriarty was such a risky take on the character and Andrew played it so brilliantly that I really want him to win too.

Oh...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 24, 2012 8:38 am  #17

Just been reading Louise's tweets. Very funny!

April 24, 2012 3:34 pm  #18

It seems that Sherlock wasn't eligible for Best drama, because now a series needs at least 5 episodes to be nominated in that category. But I still don't understand why Sherlock isn't nominated for best miniseries  . Oh well, I'm glad Benedict, Martin and Andrew are nominated : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 24, 2012 5:49 pm  #19

I don't know why it wasn't nominated as a mini-series either! I think it's a plot by Moriarty and his web!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 24, 2012 6:38 pm  #20

Moriarty? Anderson's more likely I presume...   

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera