BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2014 1:43 pm  #1

Vikings

I can't be the only one who is watching this awesome show, right?

March 21, 2014 2:33 pm  #2

Re: Vikings

I heard about it, but never watched it. 
It's about Ragnar Lodbrok right?
I made an oral presentation about him in my Swedish course when I was younger haha

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 21, 2014 2:33 pm)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 21, 2014 4:00 pm  #3

Yep....but above all it is about Lagertha, my favourite female character currently on TV.

March 21, 2014 4:43 pm  #4

I'm watching it. I have seen first two episodes of the second season so far.

March 21, 2014 4:54 pm  #5

Don't know it at all. Is it on German tv? DVD? Internet? What is it about?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpg

March 21, 2014 5:24 pm  #6

It's on history channel...they somehow stream it? I think Pro7 bought the rights, but they didn't air it yet, so the only DVD available is in english (and naturally only the first season).

Well, it's about Vikings in general and Ragnar Lothbrok specifically....since it airs on History Channel, it's somewhat faithful (they certainly put a lot of effort in realistic setttings, clothing, battle tactics aso), but they do play fast and loose with the timelines. It's hard to describe - think of something along the lines of The Borgias, but with a lot more effort put into it.

March 21, 2014 9:07 pm  #7

It's also available to stream through lovefilm (or amazon as they now took over lovefilm). That's how I'm watching it.

April 19, 2014 3:12 pm  #8

Pro7 will show it from the 24th onward...and to those who are interested, they can peek at myvideo:
http://www.myvideo.de/TV/ProSieben/Vikings

The second season is so far even better than the first one! At this point, I'm just as obsessed over Vikings than I am over Sherlock...and that is saying something.

April 19, 2014 3:25 pm  #9

Yes, spotted it and I think I will give it try.

Last edited by gently69 (April 19, 2014 3:27 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170428/gxfakjvq.png
Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 19, 2014 5:51 pm  #10

I really recommend it...it starts a little bit slow, but it keeps getting better and better.

The first season will be available for free at MyVideo for the rest of april, so that's the opportunity for some advertising free watch (I really can't get used to the voice they picked for Lagertha, though....can't wait for the Blueray, for an uncut watch in the original language).

April 19, 2014 6:00 pm  #11

I will record  it anyway to skip the ads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170428/gxfakjvq.png
Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 24, 2014 2:14 pm  #12

Well, it's Pro7....I usually avoid watching anything there because at this point, it is an advertising channel with TV breaks instead of a TV channel with advertising breaks. Even if you skip the ads the constant interruptions are just annoying.

June 4, 2014 1:13 pm  #13

Just started watching Series 1. Really liking this. I am a 'fan' of Viking history and visited the big exhibition at the British Museum many years ago. Also, no adverts...even better! That Aussie's Scandinavian accent is great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg

June 9, 2014 10:50 am  #14

Second season is even better!!! I really look forward to the third one....

June 16, 2014 12:27 pm  #15

Flipping heck! What have I been missing? Part way through series 1 and I am blown away by this. It is soooooo gooood! I think you can watch on Amazon Prime too. Next episode is on Tuesday evening and I cannot wait.

Love much of the cinematography and the episodes' directors have done splendid work (including Johan Renck, who also directed some episodes of Breaking Bad). I love the sets, scenery, costuming (bit of artistic license but hej!) and the fight choreography is fantastic. Having some of the actors with an advanced martial arts skills base, such as Cive Standen and Katheryn Winnick, was a good move. I particularly like that the actors actually act during the fight scenes and not just fight (if you know what I mean), Gustav Skarsgard is wonderful as the mildly eccentric Floki (understatement of the year). And Travis Fimmel? What can I say? Like a fine wine, he improves with age and those eyes! Blimey!

If you haven't seen this series you are really missing something very special. Not recommended if you don't like violence, although it is more restrained in this respect than GoT. There is violence but not nearly as graphic. What is quite amazing is that you rapidly start rooting for people who actually engage in these sorts of acts of violence. The Lindisfarne scene is an example of this, which was a truly appalling incident (historically documented at the time).

I also find the clash of cultures and religions very well handled.

Ragnar Rocks! (See what I did there?) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2014 6:35 pm  #16

I am ridiculously proud of myself for spotting a continuity error in one of the episodes. Typically, for me perhaps, this involved Ragnar riding a horse! Series 1- After he has his leg slashed with a sword, been shot by an arrow (not a very good day at the office!) and is then kneeling in front of Earl Harald (wonderfully played by Gabriel Byrne by-the-way) he then manages to jump onto a nice grey horse to escape. As he leaps on, he takes the reins in his LEFT hand and has his RIGHT arm hanging down (oops, that's not the injured side) the very next shot, as he rides away, he has the reins in his RIGHT hand and his LEFT arm is the one hanging down (which makes sense injury-wise). Has anyone else spotted any? 

June 21, 2014 8:11 am  #17

Like I said, wait until you come to the second season....I am as obsessed about Vikings as I am about Sherlock and that is saying something! All hail Lagertha!!!!!!

June 21, 2014 7:36 pm  #18

So frustrated having to wait a week between episodes and also being a season behind. Even contemplating watching it through Amazon Prime or something.

I am also totally, totally obsessed with this series already. I think it all started with that very first scene in the very first episode- cue lightening hitting tree, cut to Ragnar/Travis Fimmel and his EYES, fight, fight, fight, brothers (Norse) knackered, blood, sweat and tears...Then the raven... Odin... wow! Just WOW! Such clever, clever stuff. So much established in one scene.

I have just bought a genuine, Viking small finger ring made of carnelian. Yes, I really am that obsessed! 

June 23, 2014 2:57 pm  #19

I was hooked when the brought Athelstan into the picture and totally obsessed when Lagertha's role slowly expanded. At which episode are you now?

I have ordered the season 1 BlueRay...I can't wait to rewatch the whole thing. Without any stupid cuts!!!!

June 26, 2014 6:30 pm  #20

I've just watched episode 7 (I think), where they 'visit' the Northumbrian royal court for dinner for the first time!  I loved this episode so much and the character development is coming along nicely (especially Rollo/Rolf). Ragnar's sarcastic smiles, eye contact avoidance and eagerness to copy the king at times (or at least to place himself on something like an equal footing).

I have, without much effort, completed converted my daughter to this programme. We watched the first 4 episodes in one hit, the following 2 the next day and now the most recent. She is as smitten as I am (she is 'in love' with Ragnar and 'those eyes' and general cheekiness,  Rollo is 'hot' and Floki is 'adorable'). Plus she is adamant that she must have Viking blood (partly due to her flaming red hair). She cut her thumb really badly when cooking on Monday. She then posted a photo of the wound with #Vikings (bit mad, she is). 

Anyhow, my beautiful little finger ring has arrived and it fits really well. It feels very weird knowing you are wearing something that someone once wore such a long time ago (bit spooky).

Cannot wait until the next episode! 

Board footera