BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2014 8:59 pm  #1

New Banner Design: Voting Time!

Hello guys

Forum member TeeJay has very kindly spent a lot of time and effort designing these new, lovely banners for us. I totally didn't ask her too, btw, this was just completely because she wanted to give something back to the forum and I'd like to give a big round of applause for that. It's much appreciated and I think all of the designs are bloody brilliant.

A few of you put some special requests in; there was much debate over the font that should be used, and the pictures that should be included. As such, there are now 9 possible different versions of the banner. Some of them only differ slightly, others are completely different. Please have a look at all the links and then vote for which one you would like the best.

If you have any further comments to add then please feel free to do so. If it comes to a tie or we get a very close vote, then I will probably have the banners on rotation, perhaps changing them every three months or so.

Anyway, here goes...

Banner 1: http://i59.tinypic.com/n509c7.jpg
Banner 2: http://i62.tinypic.com/o7tx6b.jpg
Banner 3: http://i61.tinypic.com/16m7exj.jpg
Banner 4: http://i61.tinypic.com/vnnvhv.jpg
Banner 5: http://i57.tinypic.com/2iksklk.jpg
Banner 6: http://i61.tinypic.com/10r1zza.jpg
Banner 7: http://i61.tinypic.com/2vser76.jpg
Banner 8: http://i58.tinypic.com/rgx85j.jpg
Banner 9: http://i58.tinypic.com/2vtpa2q.jpg

Please vote in the poll for which one you like the best!

Thanks!

Which banner design do you prefer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 17, 2014 9:19 pm  #2

Re: New Banner Design: Voting Time!

Just to prevent people from missing something:
Banner 9 is REALLY different from the others. Different pics, different layout, not just different fonts.  Definitely my choice!

Last edited by Schmiezi (March 17, 2014 9:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 17, 2014 9:24 pm  #3

Right. I very much like the general appearance of that last one, all those frames.... hanging in front of THE wallpaper. Looks great. And a bit like a home - which it is for us, right? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 17, 2014 9:48 pm  #4

They're all beautiful but I've cast my vote! 

Great job, TeeJay!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 17, 2014 11:09 pm  #5

Thanks TeeJay!  Impressive.

*thinking*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 18, 2014 5:19 am  #6

Thanks you for all your suggestion, TeeJay!
I like no 9 best because I'm feeling less "observed" by this design. And it gives the impression that the pics could be changed in their frames one day. (Mary, you know won't be staying with us forever...)
And yes, it feels a little like 221B because of the wallpaper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 18, 2014 5:54 am  #7

I applaud and bow before the sheer amount of work you have done on this TJ
My favourite is number 9.....

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

March 18, 2014 6:43 am  #8

Top TOP work Teejay, well done and thank you for putting this effort in

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 7:59 am  #9

My favourite is number 1. I prefer that design to number 9, even though I really like number 9 too

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 18, 2014 8:55 am  #10

So far, 9 is the most popular. I'm thinking, if that one wins, maybe we could have the faces of all the characters (but without the title writing), as the footer??

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 18, 2014 9:16 am  #11

Good idea, Boss. I would love to have the characters somewhere on the page. And tbh, I could have done without the wedding pic but this is just my personal opinion. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 18, 2014 9:43 am  #12

Many, many thanks for your work, TeeJay.
I voted for No. 9 as well, because I like the idea with the frames. And also agree with the idea of our boss.
@ Susi
Yes, the wedding pic ... I think the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 18, 2014 9:44 am  #13

SusiGo wrote:

And tbh, I could have done without the wedding pic but this is just my personal opinion. 

...maybe we should take 'the other wedding pic'...?
No, just joking, of course...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 18, 2014 10:37 am  #14

Very very hard to choose because they are all great.

I love the main design because of all the characters being in it, but I thought the picture frame idea was really fun. As others have suggested, maybe you could add the pic with all the characters in (from the first banner design) in one of the frames or something?

But all fab, Teejay!

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (March 18, 2014 10:41 am)

March 18, 2014 10:42 am  #15

I voted for Nr. 9, too. What if we change the wedding pic and use another one instead with Mary in it?
Mary and John or Mary, John and Sherlock in HLV? Mary in 221 B being the client? Or one from the air field? I am not that fond of the wedding.  Mr. Cumberbatch with the slade is one of my favourite pictures from the set.

March 18, 2014 10:44 am  #16

Thank you, everyone. I'm glad the picture frames are so popular.

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Maybe you could add the pic with all the characters in (from the first banner design) in one of the frames or something?

I tried that, but then it gets so tiny that you can't make out the faces anymore. I'm afraid that if we want all the characters in the banner, it'll either have to be the characters only (as in the first banners), or I use one picture frame per character and add more picture frames (and then would probably have to remove the Speedy's picture because there's not enough space for everything).

As for the wedding picture (or any of the others), I can replace it with something else, but maybe we should keep in mind that not everyone is partial to Johnlock. I think Mary has become an integral character in series 3, which is why I added her, but of course I can put another picture there if people would rather see another character represented.

March 18, 2014 11:22 am  #17

I think it's got nothing to do with Johnlock. It's just that Mary is no constant character (yet). We could add her in form of a shadow, just like Moriarty. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 18, 2014 11:54 am  #18

I'm open to suggestions what other image to use. I think we need a nice John picture, but Sherlock/Benedict is already in a few of them, so I wouldn't want to use another John & Sherlock one. Or since John is in the one on the left with Sherlock, we could also put another character (or two in the same pic) there. Or maybe another behind-the-scenes image?

If anyone has specific images they'd like to use, you can post them right here in this thread and I'll play around with them.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 18, 2014 11:58 am)

March 18, 2014 12:54 pm  #19

TeeJay wrote:

Thank you, everyone. I'm glad the picture frames are so popular.

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Maybe you could add the pic with all the characters in (from the first banner design) in one of the frames or something?

I tried that, but then it gets so tiny that you can't make out the faces anymore. .

Yes, I thought that might be a problem.
And I suppose having the pic in a slightly elongated larger frame would take up too much room and kinda defeat the object of having several picture frames.

March 18, 2014 1:37 pm  #20

SpiralStaircase wrote:

And I suppose having the pic in a slightly elongated larger frame would take up too much room and kinda defeat the object of having several picture frames.

Yes, there's only so much you can do when you have limited space. I don't think we can use the cast image if we want to go with the picture frame design. However, I can surely use that image and make a banner (without writing) for the bottom of the page. Stay tuned.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 18, 2014 1:38 pm)

Board footera