BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2014 10:11 am  #1

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

So who’s excited about the Eurovision in Copenhagen? I know I am!

As some of you may know I’ve become a delegation host for Ireland! Which I am really, really looking forward to. I’ve been a huge fan of The Eurovision Song Contest for a while!

The other day I was at a meeting where they let us know a lot of awesome stuff about the show; some of it is even secret!

At said meeting they also asked us to advertise their website: www.JoinUs.dk

If you like dancing, or don’t mind it and if you like singing you can get involved in the show!

All you have to do is record yourself singing along to Emmelie De Forests song ‘Only Teardrops’ or record yourself dancing from your mobile! They are even picking a few dancers from the video to Copenhagen and dance on stage!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2014 5:26 pm  #2

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Yes, I'm also excited about the ESC - but for different reasons.
My son and his band "Aarzemnieki" ("Foreigners") happened to win the Latvian national finale last weekend and are going to represent Latvia in Kopenhagen. They will be performing in the semi-finale on Tiuesday, May 6th. It remains to be seen whether they'll make it to the Grand Finale on Saturday then.

Though the ESC songs aren't really my kind of music I will of course be there this year!  love the contest not so much for the music but for the fun, meeting people from across Europe and beyond, the big party,  all the mutual support the people in the audience would give to each other - and not exclusively to the musicians of their respective countries.

I was lucky to be able to be part of the audience when the ESC took place in Germany three years ago (one semi-finale, the finale and the aftershow party), and I enjoyed it very much. I felt that the actual competion was rather a secondary matter.

So I'm very much looking forward to København.
Maybe we'll even be able to meet, busy Phantom Lady?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 27, 2014 5:52 pm  #3

That is so amazing, Tobe! Congratulations! I love that song! You have my vote! 

I honestly never thought I would get to see the shows live; I was lucky that my mother gave me a ticket for one of the semi finals as a Birthday present. Now I can get to watch them anyway! As far as I know we even get to go to the semi final 'our' country isn't in! Yay!

The Eurovision has always meant a lot to me; it's a place where you can be who you are and you don't have to worry. It's all happy people and glitter! I will be insanely busy I've been informed but it's worth it for this experience!

It would be awesome if we met! I've never met a fellow fan before!

Btw, your son is in good hands; I briefly met the latvian delegation host and they were lovely! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2014 6:17 pm  #4

Thanks in advance for the vote!
And good to know about the lovely delegation hosts - as if there was any doubt!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 27, 2014 6:19 pm  #5

I wish you lots of fun and success for Aarzemnieki! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 27, 2014 6:36 pm  #6

...and there it is again. Welcome back, earworm.
"I've got a cake to bake....... lalala...:" 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 27, 2014 7:53 pm  #7

Oh, I love the ESC so much, it's so much fun to watch. My family all visit our house and we all sit around the tele, having a really good laugh.

....If only we ever came in a good position!!!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 27, 2014 8:26 pm  #8

The finale is on May 10th! Semi finals are on the 6th and 8th! 

I'm just waay early with my excitement!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2014 8:31 pm  #9

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

The finale is on May 10th! Semi finals are on the 6th and 8th! 

I'm just waay early with my excitement!

So am I...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 28, 2014 8:23 pm  #10

Pity, the semi-final with Aarzemnieki is not the one we can vote for  . I like the song, it's so cheerful and the line about the genius at Baker Street, great  !! Chapeau to your son tobe!!!

I'm really curious who the German competitor will be. But to be honest I am not very fond of any of the candidates we have this year (I really hope, it will not be Unheilig *shudder*  ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 28, 2014 8:32 pm  #11

stoertebeker wrote:

Pity, the semi-final with Aarzemnieki is not the one we can vote for . I like the song, it's so cheerful and the line about the genius at Baker Street, great !! Chapeau to your son tobe!!!

Thanks, stoertebeker, I will tell him. And his friend Guntis, who wrote the song.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 28, 2014 8:42 pm  #12

I hope he'll make it to the finale with the cake baking song, it's so cute!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 28, 2014 9:25 pm  #13

Mattlocked wrote:

...and there it is again. Welcome back, earworm.
"I've got a cake to bake....... lalala...:" 

I know, I know!  I keep hearing that song, too.  Runs through my head constantly - that and Paldes Latinum .  Catchy stuff!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 1, 2014 12:36 am  #14

This just is a good spirits song. I keep the fingers crossed that it "works",.tobe. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 1, 2014 10:08 am  #15

A friend of mine wrote a song and applied for the contest in order to start for Austria - apparently in Austria everyone can enter a song and then whoever wants to can vote for the favourite song online. Sadly he wasn't among the Top Ten, but I really love the song - it's sort of a homage to the whole ESC, and it grooves. Here's the link, if anyone wants to listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotEKcQ9rao

And tobe, I already told you how happy I am for you and your son, this is so exciting...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 1, 2014 10:14 am  #16

Humour, Charm and Lush! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 1, 2014 10:24 am  #17

Lush, now that's a great word...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 9, 2014 3:14 pm  #18

Denmark picked our song last night! I don't think we're going to win with it... but I can't get it out of my head! And yup I voted for it...

Basim with 'Cliche Love Song'
http://youtu.be/KRHKkYrXSjM

And I'm a bit proud of the singer; he won X-facter several years ago... and since then I've seen him sing in a few malls... in front of 5 people... that can't have been easy! He seems genuinly happy to have won this! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 9, 2014 3:15 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 13, 2014 7:34 pm  #19

Germany will vote their artist and song today. The show has just started. I'm curious who will win. Anybody else watching?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 13, 2014 7:37 pm  #20

It's just started here, too.  And it's still running. And I'm still pondering. No Aarzemnieki. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera