BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2014 9:47 pm  #1

Goldfish: yours, mine and ours.

I can't get that line out of my head.

What's your take on what it means?

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 24, 2014 9:56 pm  #2

Re: Goldfish: yours, mine and ours.

Which line exactly?
Mycroft views other people as goldfish because their intelligence is so little compared to his superior mind. Since Sherlock now knows the benefits of having friends, he suggests that Mycroft might consider getting himself a 'goldfish' - someone who, even without a comparable level of intelligence, might make his life better.
I think that's what you meant...?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

July 29, 2014 6:00 pm  #3

Re: Goldfish: yours, mine and ours.

Lily, that is exactly what is meant, I think.  It is reinforced a little later when Mycroft says, "I'm not lonely, Sherlock."  And Sherlock replies, "How would you know?"

After two years away, Sherlock has matured and learned the value of the "goldfish" in his life, primarily John, but also Mrs. Hudson, Molly and Lestrade.  Mycroft presents us with a contrast to Sherlock here.  Previously, they seemed two peas in a pod regarding the need for others in their lives, but now, Sherlock recognizes that he himself had been lonely in the past, and has a new-found appreciation for his friends.

Board footera