BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 3:38 pm  #1

Revamping the forum banner - need some input

Our lovely administrator Sherlock Holmes and I have plans to revamp the forum banner, and we'd like some input from all of you as to what our new banner could or should look like.

Specifically, we would welcome suggestions in terms of specific pictures/screencaps/characters to include. Obviously the banner should harmonize with the rest of the page's layout, but are there any colour theme preferences? Should the text stay the same, or would you like to see something else?

Any feedback is welcome, so comment away!

Last edited by TeeJay (February 9, 2014 3:44 pm)

February 9, 2014 3:50 pm  #2

Re: Revamping the forum banner - need some input

Why don't you hold a contest? Have people submit banners and choose a winner. But you set rules, obviously.

Just an idea though. No worries if you're not interested.

February 9, 2014 4:29 pm  #3

I'm fine with putting up a contest, but someone else would have to organize it. I offered to make a new banner and SH suggested to ask forum members for input, but if we want to expand it into a contest, I'm afraid I don't have the kind of time to manage that since I'm already running several other online projects that need organizing, voting, uploading, etc.

February 9, 2014 4:35 pm  #4

TeeJay wrote:

I'm fine with putting up a contest, but someone else would have to organize it. I offered to make a new banner and SH suggested to ask forum members for input, but if we want to expand it into a contest, I'm afraid I don't have the kind of time to manage that since I'm already running several other online projects that need organizing, voting, uploading, etc.

Like I said, it was just a thought. It would probably be simpler anyway just having some input from forum members.  

There are so many fab pics for suggestion. We're spoilt for choice.

February 9, 2014 4:46 pm  #5

I'm really not an expert when it comes to banners, layout, graphic design and stuff like that. But I could imagine that it would go nicely with the page's layout if pics were mainly black-and-white and the colour of the text would be a dark blue or a dark red... something like that. Might have more of a classy/classic look...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 9, 2014 7:23 pm  #6

An iconic image from each episode might be nice, although now that it's up to nine, it might be tight.

February 9, 2014 7:24 pm  #7

veecee wrote:

An iconic image from each episode might be nice, although now that it's up to nine, it might be tight.

I like that! But I'd need help with picking the images. I think it would be nice if it was a bit of a mix of the characters, and not just focus on Sherlock & John.

February 9, 2014 7:40 pm  #8

Maybe you could use a nice pic from all the main characters if the space is sufficient. And I would really like another font and/or colour for the forum name. Maybe more like the original font as long as this is allowed. The wallpaper should stay by all means. Thanks for your efforts. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 9, 2014 7:44 pm  #9

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe you could use a nice pic from all the main characters if the space is sufficient.

So who would the main characters be? John, Sherlock, Mary, Molly, Mycroft, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson?

February 9, 2014 7:47 pm  #10

I know there's limited space, but can we  have a rogues gallery?
I would like to see Moriarty!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2014 7:48 pm  #11

And a pic of that very door with "221B" would be nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 9, 2014 7:48 pm  #12

I definitely agree with the suggestion of having sight of the other characters on the banner, after all, we love them just as much as Sherlock and John!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

February 9, 2014 8:12 pm  #13

TeeJay wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe you could use a nice pic from all the main characters if the space is sufficient.

So who would the main characters be? John, Sherlock, Mary, Molly, Mycroft, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson?

Sounds fab.
And perhaps Moriarty? Or are we sticking with the good guys?

Actually, there is this fab pic of all the cast together -

http://images.contactmusic.com/images/feature-images/sherlock-s3-main-cast-636-380.jpg

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (February 9, 2014 8:14 pm)

February 9, 2014 8:14 pm  #14

I want Jim!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2014 8:19 pm  #15

I will miss the picture of the Epic London Meet-Up of 2013 if it comes down - but whatever goes in it's place, if something does, I will support it wholeheartedly!  Keep calm and banner on!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 9, 2014 9:37 pm  #16

Yeah, that's a good point. All the banners so far have only involved Sherlock and John. Let's get the other characters involved too. They are equally as awesome! (Especially Mary xD)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 9, 2014 9:45 pm  #17

Do we have to have The Woman?(Sulks).

February 9, 2014 9:51 pm  #18

Well, if you guys have specific pics in mind you'd like me to use, post away. It'd save me some serious Googling to find something I can use.

February 13, 2014 2:05 am  #19

To be honest, banners work best when they are simple, clean and convey the purpose of the site. For this reason I prefer the banner at the bottom of the site over the one at the top - it's just a bit frenetic for me.

That's the only feedback/input I can really offer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 1, 2014 9:10 pm  #20

So I finally had some time to play around with the banner tonight. This is just a first suggestion, and I'm open to do something else if this isn't what you were envisioning.

Board footera