BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2014 5:39 pm  #1

Things, I wouldn't have done or bought

... without knowing Benedict or Sherlock.

Thought it would be funny to mention this in a thread... so...

For example I would have never ever thought about meeting 9 strangers in a hotel, just to spend a night with them (more or less), watching S3 of Sherlock in ONE room via  projector and on a small TV screen.

Or watching a play (Frankenstein and in March Coriolanus) at a cinema...

Or buying "silly" T-Shirts, pics are following later...

Or watching films in OV several times because of THE voice...

Or spending "ages" watching YouTube recordings on the smartphone...

Or planning to watch Hamlet in London, being sure I won' t understand a single word...

Ok, wanna join? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 7, 2014 5:48 pm  #2

Re: Things, I wouldn't have done or bought

One more...

I spent at least 70% of the day at this forum. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

February 7, 2014 6:09 pm  #3

I'm reading Keats' poetry again for the first time since school after hearing him recite Ode to a Nightingale

But gently, you must read Hamlet before going to see it so that you enjoy it more
It's a good story

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 7, 2014 6:17 pm  #4

Yeah, reading Hamlet is part of this plan. To be honest I know the story... not that good. 

(Tony Hadley)

February 7, 2014 6:23 pm  #5

gently69 wrote:

Yeah, reading Hamlet is part of this plan. To be honest I know the story... not that good. 

Oh ok - sorry!
I really like it but shouldn't presume that means everyone else would, of course!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 7, 2014 6:45 pm  #6

I would never have listened to audiobooks/radioplays/audio recordings if it wasn't for Ben. My first exposure to Ben's audio works was Ode to Nightingale, been checking out plenty other recordings and audiobooks since then (Thanks Ben!) but one of my all-time Ben favourites would be The Pillow Book. Rather underrated!

February 7, 2014 9:38 pm  #7

I would never have read around 2000 pages about British abolitionists, including original sources.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 7, 2014 9:42 pm  #8

I would never have read a 600 pages book about an English mathematician and computer pioneer during my holiday in Italy.

(And I can subscribe to about everything that gently has listed, including meeting strangers in a hotel room and listening to Benedict's voice coming out of a wastepaper basket). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 8, 2014 3:19 pm  #9

Ah yes, the wastepaper basket. What a great "invention"!

Wanted to show the silly t-shirts?

Last edited by gently69 (February 8, 2014 3:19 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

February 8, 2014 4:31 pm  #10

The correct spelling of 'appall' is this way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 4:56 pm  #11

I think both is ok. Found it British English "appal" and American English "appall".
And also subtitles of BBC said appal. Just checked it.

(Tony Hadley)

February 8, 2014 5:07 pm  #12

Serves me right for using the Webster's on-line dictionary!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 5:19 pm  #13

I rely on the BBC subtitles...

(Tony Hadley)

February 8, 2014 5:24 pm  #14

Very sensible.
The only time I have ever seen them, is when we've watched Sherlock with my son's Italian girlfriend.
Her English is fluent, but sometimes the actors don't always project as they should!

Last edited by besleybean (February 8, 2014 5:24 pm)

February 8, 2014 5:39 pm  #15

Well, I sculpt one of a kind dolls, and I wouldn't be in the middle of a Sherlock doll right now if it wasn't for Sherlock/Benedict existing!

(the work in progress doll can be found in the Fan Art section if anyone wants a peek and tell me what they think!)

I also wouldn't have developed a fascination and appreciation of cupid bow (is that the expression?) lips!  

I've also just bought an 'I've been Sherlocked' cushion cover for my living room, and I'm very tempted to buy the t-shirt version too!

February 9, 2014 1:02 pm  #16

I too have spent an inordinate amount of time on you tube - I would say waste of time but how can the lovely BC be a waste of time??  Less impressed with the film where people called him an a**hole because he didn't sign any autographs when leaving a hotel.  Leave the poor guy alone!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

February 10, 2014 6:48 am  #17

Oi… Sherlock!!  *shakes fist*     I was always a bit of an internet addict, but thanks to this show, a good part of that on an everyday basis is now Sherlock-related.  This forum (my first real long time 'regular' one), pinterests/tumblrs/youtube, etc.  It's completely swamped my browsing at times.
Plus broadening my movie base (including their online 'shorts') with ones I'd never heard of, simply because Ben or Martin were in them. 
Re-energized my enjoyment of the canon, going back and reading the several collections I never got around to.
Making several new work-friends (and creating several converts) simply because something about Sherlock was mentioned in an initial conversation.
Led to a five hour road trip with a family member, simply to catch an encore of Frankenstein (ok, so it helped that the city was one a cousin lived in that we could stay with and combine with a visit, but still…)  ;)
Yup… I'm addicted.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 10, 2014 7:50 am  #18

I wouldn't have cooked Eggs Benedict if not for Benedict...

I also wouldn't have burst out of my 4 year long writers block!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 3, 2014 10:52 am  #19

Well I wouldn't have stayed up for 30 hours just to watch the Oscars if not for him...

I also guess I wouldn't have started really minding and enhancing my own cupids bow when applying lipstick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 3, 2014 11:09 am  #20

On the same lines of Phantom, I would not have stayed up till early hours of the morning to watch the oscars, and other things involving him!

I also wouldn't have met all you guys who are the nicest people ever!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

Board footera