BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2014 4:13 pm  #1

Trying to Upload a Video But...

I spent ages making a Sherlock video and added a great track from the movie Inception which worked really well with the theme. I uploaded it to YouTube only for them to mute the music. Sigh.

Is there any music I can use that they're not going to mute? I don't want to work hard at working the music to the video again, only for them to mute it again.

Would all soundtracks be copyrighted/muted?

I don't understand why mine was muted when there are loads of Sherlock videos that haven't been muted (not that I want them to be, of course,...I'm just frustrated!).

I know this isn't exactly a link to a Sherlock video, but it is about a Sherlock video that I hope to eventually link to. So I hope it's ok to post  this question.

Thanks for any advice!

February 6, 2014 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Trying to Upload a Video But...

I'm fairly sure YouTube is very vigilant with enforcing adherence to copyrights. In Germany any video using music that is under GEMA license (the media licensing authority in Germany) will be blocked. They don't just silence the video, they block it altogether. I think this is done in other countries too. It doesn't surprise me that you're having this problem.

As to why yours was muted and others weren't, it may just be bad luck or you used music that was easily recognized as being copyrighted.

You could try alternative video hosters. I think Dailymotion is also very strict, but I've found that Vimeo is so far rather lenient. Their big caviat is that if you have a free account, it can take up to an hour for them to process your video after it's uploaded.

February 6, 2014 7:04 pm  #3

Re: Trying to Upload a Video But...

TeeJay wrote:

You could try alternative video hosters. I think Dailymotion is also very strict, but I've found that Vimeo is so far rather lenient. Their big caviat is that if you have a free account, it can take up to an hour for them to process your video after it's uploaded.

Thanks! I might give Vimeo a try just for that one video.

Board footera