BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2014 2:11 am  #1

See Sherlock Dance

Did Sherlock's talent as a dancer seem a bit, well, out of the blue? He was so good he not only was coaching Janine but also was the one who taught John.

The violin-playing is from ACD, but not the dancing.

Dancing seems like something that people get good at when they're more, well, social, because it's usually something you DO socially.

You wouldn't think it would be something he would care enough to learn. And while I know we've beaten the Asperger's thing into the ground, people with Asperger's can be physically clumsy as well as socially awkward. It seems like the two go together, but perhaps that's a stereotype. And admittedly, other Sherlocks (like Brett) have been rather graceful. In ACD and the Brett series, Holmes is good at martial arts.

The Johnlocker in me wonders, maybe he just learned so he could practice with John...and have an excuse to hold John in his arms. That would make a great Johnlock fanfic...except then the wedding wouldn't happen. Unless we go back to that "understanding."

I must say, I am not as big a Benedict fangirl as some posters here...but Benedict twirling was very nice to watch. Wonder if that's why they wrote it in...

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 5, 2014 2:12 am)

February 5, 2014 7:22 am  #2

Re: See Sherlock Dance

I get the feeling that the dancing is somewhat private for Sherlock. He's too much of a show off to have not incorporated it into his normal crime solving routine. Not sure if he specifically learnt to dance for the wedding or if dance is something that he's always been good at (can't remember the episode/scene well enough to say). But I did get the impression that it's not something he wants the whole world to know.

As to why his dancing is more private to him than some of the other talents that he possesses, I have no idea. When he's not being in-your-face & generally speaking - an arse, he can be very subtle. Maybe dance is just one of his subtleties.

I don't ship so I can't say what the dance means for Johnlock It could also be that Benedict the actor just happens to be a good dancer in real life & the writers went "yeah, why not use that since we have a context now (wedding) where such a skill would be required".

Last edited by saturnR (February 5, 2014 7:22 am)

February 5, 2014 2:04 pm  #3

Sherlock Holmes' artistic nature is always highlighted in canon

"All the afternoon he sat in the stalls wrapped in the most perfect happiness, gently waving his long, thin fingers in time to the music, while his gently smiling face and his languid, dreamy eyes were as unlike those of Holmes, the sleuth-hound, Holmes the relentless, keen-witted, ready-handed criminal agent, as it was possible to conceive. In his singular character the dual nature alternately asserted itself, and his extreme exactness and astuteness represented, as I have often thought, the reaction against the poetic and contemplative mood which occasionally predominated in him." - Read Headed League

And as for dancing, does this count?

"Now he was dancing and laughing and wringing my hand. Could this be my stern, self-contained friend? These were hidden fires, indeed!" 

The Johnlocker in me wonders, maybe he just learned so he could practice with John...and have an excuse to hold John in his arms.

In my head canon, it is the truth

February 5, 2014 3:22 pm  #4

saturnR wrote:

I get the feeling that the dancing is somewhat private for Sherlock. He's too much of a show off to have not incorporated it into his normal crime solving routine. Not sure if he specifically learnt to dance for the wedding or if dance is something that he's always been good at (can't remember the episode/scene well enough to say). But I did get the impression that it's not something he wants the whole world to know.

As to why his dancing is more private to him than some of the other talents that he possesses, I have no idea. When he's not being in-your-face & generally speaking - an arse, he can be very subtle. Maybe dance is just one of his subtleties.

I don't ship so I can't say what the dance means for Johnlock It could also be that Benedict the actor just happens to be a good dancer in real life & the writers went "yeah, why not use that since we have a context now (wedding) where such a skill would be required".

Actually, when he fights hand-to-hand, that is a dance. Remember the scene with the big guy with the sword in The Blind Banker? Watch him move.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 5, 2014 6:57 pm  #5

Maybe it was part of his (classical?) education.. even Sheldon Cooper learned to dance fairly well that way

It really surprises me that someone could even remotely associate BBC Sherlock with 'physically clumsy'! (Words fail me when I try to elaborate..)

February 5, 2014 7:43 pm  #6

We know that his parents enjoy dancing as well, so maybe it's a family thing? I can imagine his parents sending him to classes since he probably was a very graceful child with lots of energy.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 5, 2014 9:36 pm  #7

I agree with the last two comments. Maybe he went to dance classes as a child and really enjoyed it. Kind of like Billy Elliot!!

February 10, 2014 9:16 pm  #8

Also, keep in mind that John hasn't lived at Baker Street during the months leading up to the wedding. But he and Sherlock practiced dancing there...so that means John had to really make time to be there, for the practices...

February 10, 2014 11:35 pm  #9

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Dance-Sherly-Dance-432612366

I'm not quite sure who to credit though, because I don't think the person who posted this, actually made it.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (February 10, 2014 11:36 pm)

February 19, 2014 1:02 pm  #10

Dancing needs Continuous practice guys, a Sherlock fan should know that.
And Sherlock is not a dancer, that's a fact.
End of story.

Board footera