BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2014 9:17 pm  #1

Jonathan Small as the Mayfly Man

What exactly was the point of this? Did he find out things about Sholto from these women?

It confused me because Sherlock mentions the possibility of them "all working for the same person" or something like that...and then I thought he was somehow ruling that possibility out.

February 2, 2014 9:22 pm  #2

Re: Jonathan Small as the Mayfly Man

He dated all those women who were working for Sholto and aquired information about when and where to meet Sholto through them. Tessa must have mentioned the wedding, so he knew Sholto would be there.

Last edited by Lily (February 2, 2014 9:23 pm)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

October 12, 2016 1:03 am  #3

Re: Jonathan Small as the Mayfly Man

I wondered about this, too.  Apparently all these women had worked for Sholto, but none currently did, or Sherlock would have recognized the name.  He asks to see if they all work for the same person, and it turns out they don't (now) and probably didn't at the same time.  He says something at the reception, when he's figuring it out, about frequent turnover in staff for the sake of security (although having known, loyal staff would make Sholto far more safe than bringing in strangers regularly).  But it still doesn't work.  The Mayfly Man met each of these women outside work, and took each of them to "his place."  If he'd gone to their place, he might have seen the wedding invitation on a table or something, but why would they be discussing their employer's comings and goings with a first date, at his place?  There would be no way for him to get the information he wanted without asking questions that would be very strange, in context.

Board footera