BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2014 1:12 pm  #1

Why we love Mary!

Sorry, but all the negativity concerning her is ruining my squee. So, here a place for those who really like the character. I like her because:

1. I think she is honestly in love with John. I mean, look at her ex, she has definitly a type. And if she didn't care for John, she could have just made him to take the fall for her.

2. She gets John! She might be wrong about keeping her past from him, but she understands John's need for adventure and his special relationship with Sherlock

3. She is all kinds of awesome! Apparently she even managed to slip under Mycroft's radar - that is not an easy feat.

I for my part hope that she will be around for as long as possible and that the writers have a great arc set-up for her.

January 29, 2014 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Why we love Mary!

4. She likes Sherlock. And Sherlock likes her.

5. She can tell Sherlock to his face that she sees right through him, and he indulges her without even blinking. He really likes her.

6. Sherlock in fact likes her so much that he all but pushes John to forgive her. He wouldn't be doing that if he thought Mary was a bad person or a bad influence on John.

7. This ties in to no. 2., because not only does she get John, she also acknowledges that he's allowed to keep living his life, and keep doing things with Sherlock. She actively asks John to spend more time with his best friend. Yes, she's all kinds of awesome.

8. She's kickass. Full stop.

January 29, 2014 2:13 pm  #3

I've got nothing against Mary either. I think she's fun and adds another great twist to the show.

I'm not so sure that Mycroft isn't aware of her past though. Surely he knows everything about everyone. And if CAM discovered her past I'm sure Mycroft has too. Why he is keeping silent though remains to be seen.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/Forestina/newbanner3_zps1516d275.jpg

January 29, 2014 2:23 pm  #4

Love her character, but as for her liking Sherlock, I can't read whether that's for real or whether she knows that the best way to disarm him is to love him - it seems to inspire a gratitude and loyalty in him.
I do think she loves John.
I think she's been a great addition to season 3.
I love her hairstyle!!!
But I don't see her working as a long term character going forward.
What do I know though - I'm a viewer, not a writer:D

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 29, 2014 2:26 pm  #5

@silverblaze and teejah: I agree totally, I like her character and I think she is honest in her feelings towards John and Sherlock. I also think she´s a good addition to both. I don´t know what will happen to her, but I honestly doubt about hidden cruel plans of her or even plans of Sherlock against her - I was wondering about these theories because I think the emotions are well expressed by the actors. And I also have no problems with John forgiving her, it´s one of the greatest and noblest gestures I´ve ever seen. And so is Sherlock´s.

January 29, 2014 2:28 pm  #6

9. She adds to the dynamic of the show, in a good way.

10. She is the first really layered take on the character I have seen.

11. She offers a new perspective on Sherlock

January 29, 2014 2:35 pm  #7

I do love Mary, and the way she is portrayed by AA, but I don't see her as a long term character.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg

January 29, 2014 3:07 pm  #8

I'm not so sure...nobody expected Molly to become a long-term character, either. The writers would be certainly able to pull it off to have Mary around without destroying the dynamic between John and Sherlock. In a way, they already did.

January 29, 2014 3:34 pm  #9

@anja: I love the fact that you think of me when I'm not even in the thread, but surely you must have meant Swanpride. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

Love Mary too, for all the above reasons.

I love the bond that grew between her and Sherlock, and I think the shooting incident strangely only made that bond stronger. He trapped her into telling the truth and they have become powerful allies because of that. She sees through him as well, they are more alike than appears. 

She just cannot be evil, AA just doesn't sell evil to me. Whatever we learn about her past will probably prove that she's a good person who had to make some really hard decisions. 

January 29, 2014 8:35 pm  #10

I also really like Mary's character.    Would like her just as much next series if we saw a little bit less of her onscreen.

January 29, 2014 8:50 pm  #11

She's BAMF and super cool. And I do think she's actually quite nice as well. Look at the way she took in the neighbour from next door and sat her down, made her a cup of tea and listened to her problems, when John was all for leaving her standing her on the doorstep because he didn't particularly want to get out of bed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

http://9.asset.soup.io/asset/1715/0057_6c7d.gif

January 29, 2014 9:25 pm  #12

12. she has a great humor

Last edited by Swanpride (January 30, 2014 8:02 am)

January 30, 2014 6:56 am  #13

My opinion on Mary changes about 5 times a day ever since she shot Sherlock.
But basically she is a truly interesting and very controversial character and I like that about her. She isn't the nice housewivey Mary from canon, which is exactly what I hoped they would overcome in this adaptation. So in fact, I got what I wanted, they turned her into a strong and independent woman, and YAY for that. 
I like her sense of humour and she is played just superbly by Amanda Abbington.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 30, 2014 8:53 am  #14

Mary is an intresting character. She is complex. I really enjoyed the twist and her turning out to be a bit 'evil'. Whether she genuinly like Sherlock or simply knows that she needs to tolerate him for the sake of John, her relationship with Sherlock is intresting to watch. They seem to understand each other quite well.

January 30, 2014 9:19 am  #15

Okay, not my area here...
*shrugs and goes back into the corner*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpg

January 30, 2014 9:57 am  #16

Well, honestly I don't "love" Mary: she genuinely loves John and I think she likes Sherlock, but she is still a cold-blooded assasin with a morality/mentality of a cold blooded assasin. ("People like Magnussen SHOULD be killed").
That being said, I love
1. How they developed the character contrary to all fears about how she would fit in the show.
2. How they devlishly made us love her in first two episodes and then demolished our concept of the character.
3. The way Amanda Abbington plays Mary.

January 30, 2014 10:10 am  #17

Oh, I honestly agreed with her. And so did Sherlock, apparantly. Magnussen was about to take over the nation. 

January 30, 2014 10:42 am  #18

But this kind of stuff makes her interesting. John would kill in defense of someone, and wouldn't loose sleep over it as long as he hits a "not very nice" victim. Sherlock would kill when he considers it the only option available (and to protect John). Mary would do it when she considers it the right move. Of the three, she is the one most pushing the bondaries of what is usually considered morally sound.

January 30, 2014 10:57 am  #19

silverblaze wrote:

Oh, I honestly agreed with her. And so did Sherlock, apparantly. Magnussen was about to take over the nation. 

Totaly on your side.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 30, 2014 12:00 pm  #20

Swanpride wrote:

But this kind of stuff makes her interesting. John would kill in defense of someone, and wouldn't loose sleep over it as long as he hits a "not very nice" victim. Sherlock would kill when he considers it the only option available (and to protect John). Mary would do it when she considers it the right move. Of the three, she is the one most pushing the bondaries of what is usually considered morally sound.

I don't think that's true. People keep saying that what she did was selfish, but like John and Sherlock, she was protecting someone, namely her unborn child, possibly also John. CAM threatened to expose her past, I'm convinced that that'd kill her and the baby, so killing CAM was a calculated move, valuing the life of the baby over his.

Shooting Sherlock is more difficult to explain but I think that she believed that if Sherlock busted her in killing CAM, that'd expose her too, hence the liver shot. It's hard to say whether she was right, we don't know what Sherlock would have done, had he seen her killing CAM. It was a risk she wasn't willing to take. She might have done so if she wasn't pregnant.

And there's the reason why they wrote the baby in. 

Board footera