BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2014 1:22 am  #1

Review in "The New Yorker" Magazine

Here's a great review:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/01/27/140127crte_television_nussbaum?currentPage=all

For people not familiar with The New Yorker, it's a weekly highbrow magazine known both for its longform articles on serious topics and its cartoons.  It also has extensive sections of reviews of arts and cultural happenings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 29, 2014 1:59 am  #2

Re: Review in "The New Yorker" Magazine

wow,  nice spin, and a fun read.     Thanks for the link!

January 29, 2014 7:29 am  #3

Well-written and thoughtful review, thanks for posting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2014 10:40 am  #4

Nice to read a review by someone who understands Sherlock.

January 30, 2014 4:09 am  #5

At last someone who 'gets' the 'love story' aspect for what it really is.  Wonderful review!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 14, 2014 2:06 am  #6

I know I'm late, but this was such a nicely written New Yorker review by Emily Nussbaum.   
One wonders her additional thoughts had she written this after episode 3. 

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Mostly, though, they’re a god and a mortal, mutually besotted— the most impossible love affair of all."

"Holmes sees connections but can’t connect. He’s like a Google algorithm, if it were sexy and wore dashing wool coats."

The Empty Hearse:
"a coded confession of its own status as fan fiction."

The Sign of Three:
"what Watson is to Holmes:  inverts the central love dynamic an episode about Sherlock Holmes as a fan—the god stooping to praise the human."

Board footera