BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2014 5:07 am  #1

Did this episode seem like a "one off" to anyone else?

It felt so detached from the rest of the series, except to maybe do character development, and make gay references.

Character development, as in, Sherlock is willing to experiment on his "friends" in a most nasty way, and he acknowledges to John that he is his friend.

Otherwise, there seems to be no connectivity to the rest of things. 

============================================================
And I'm assuming she scrubbed your floors, by the state of her knees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbie: You're too modest, Mr. Holmes.
Holmes: I'm really not.

January 24, 2014 8:20 am  #2

Re: Did this episode seem like a "one off" to anyone else?

There's not any connection really. Same with the original story. ACD took them away from London and wrote a novella length story. Most of the others are short stories set in London.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 26, 2014 8:43 am  #3

Wholocked, what is that GIF on your signature?

============================================================
And I'm assuming she scrubbed your floors, by the state of her knees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbie: You're too modest, Mr. Holmes.
Holmes: I'm really not.

January 27, 2014 3:04 am  #4

Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch as Victor Frankenstein & Monster in NT Live stage production where they alternated roles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

February 2, 2014 3:37 pm  #5

I must admit I like the original story so much more. I was very disappointed by the approach to it in this episode. Thinking about it, I did not care for the second episode in the first series either.

February 2, 2014 3:59 pm  #6

I think it did drag abit, but I did enjoy it. I felt really bad for Henry in this episode. 

It did seem abit off in continuity, but when I found out that this episode happened during A Scandal in Belgravia, the episode did seem to make sense as well as why that Sherlock was acting the way he was in the beginning. 

February 2, 2014 4:30 pm  #7

I know many see this as the weak episode of Season 2, but I really liked it - in fact I prefer it to SiB!
There's really good character play in it, interesting case, and some humour ("is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" - one of my favourite moments!)
The one thing I did wonder though, is if Benedict was unwell or something during filming, because - and please don't lynch me here) there were a couple of very rare moments - the scene where his nerves are shot to pieces in the Bar being one of them - where I felt he doesn't quite deliver his usual high standard of performance.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

August 26, 2014 9:43 pm  #8

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

I think it did drag abit, but I did enjoy it. I felt really bad for Henry in this episode. 

It did seem abit off in continuity, but when I found out that this episode happened during A Scandal in Belgravia, the episode did seem to make sense as well as why that Sherlock was acting the way he was in the beginning. 

Hey, thanks for that bit of background.  Of course they would have had other cases during the long timeframe of SIB.  That makes sense.

I actually like this episode very much.  Most of ACD's stories were one-off cases, and I would like to see more of these in the future.  I feel we could give the soap opera aspects a rest now and then and just let Sherlock and John do their thing.

Last edited by Sherlockismyfix (August 26, 2014 9:45 pm)

Board footera