BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2014 1:26 pm  #41

Re: Mary's Death

/love your signature, Tinks!/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 5, 2014 1:34 pm  #42

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

/love your signature, Tinks!/

Thank you
Yours is pretty cool, too

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 5, 2014 3:40 pm  #43

Just joking when I say this but maybe the way to deal with Mary and the baby is to change the time line and the next episodes all take place before TRF and show us the cases that Sherlock alluded to at the wedding.  I'd love to see how the elephant got in the room or what was in that matchbox .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/lianafuller/qwer_zpsbebc7b3b.png

February 5, 2014 4:02 pm  #44

that would be also nice...but hardly probable considering the "Moriarty" thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 5, 2014 11:45 pm  #45

I think Mary is going to die while pregnant. I don't see adding a baby being a good thing for the show in the long run (although I do want to see Sherlock awkwardly babysit!). 

I want some kind of dramatic death. Like.... Sherlock and Mary have been captured by a villain (Moriarty?) and John only has time to save one person. He thinks he has time to save both, but of course he doesn't. Then I want to see some sort of soul-crushing death scene for Mary, because what's an episode of Sherlock without the feels?! Then Sherlock feels guilty so he will be very kind to John. John obviously will be a mess after this and will probably move back in with Sherlock as he recovers emotionally. Then slowly, with the help of Sherlock he gets better and they continue solving crimes. Fin.  

March 3, 2014 6:56 pm  #46

However hard I try I just cannot like mary. I mean she shot sherlock and I feel like she came between sherlock and john, I find her really irritating! And breath....

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 3, 2014 8:14 pm  #47

Noooo, I don't want to see John grieving AGAIN. 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 3, 2014 8:39 pm  #48

Ozymandias wrote:

Noooo, I don't want to see John grieving AGAIN. 

Seconded. I really hope that whatever Moftiss have up their sleeve, it doesn't involve John looking tragic. Martin is a very fine actor but he doesn't have the face for it ...

March 3, 2014 9:38 pm  #49

I think Moftiss are fanboys when it comes to Martin acting emotional!
And he's very very good at it.  But I agree - I don't want any more of it for a while.
Whether they feel the same remains to be seen, of course.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 3, 2014 11:13 pm  #50

I would be sorely disappointed if Mary and her child will be just killed off in S4. I hate it when a TV series such as „Sherlock“ includes a plot in which an unborn child dies. It seems like too serious a plot for a series written partially as a comedy and it reeks of lazy writing to me.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif

March 4, 2014 4:12 am  #51

Ok I never post to these things but I decided to do so here.
I knew that Mary would not be killed off at the end of series 3 because it would have made very little sense to do so after having spent a whole episode, when there are only  3 the begin with, on the wedding. I mean why 'waste" a whole episode on a marriage that lasts a month?  And they didn't have to kill her if they really wanted to get rid of the character--Mary's lying  to John about her past/shooting Sherlock could have ended her right there. In fact, Moffat once said in an interview that he wanted to look at the idea of Sherlock and John living apart  but didn't  know if he would have John get married. He obviously had his reasons for deciding to do that.
Sorry folks, but the baby is the issue here. That's because the idea of the pregnancy/baby is so far out of canon that to bring it into the story and then just have it go away (loss of pregnancy/baby death/child living elsewhere) just for the sake of canon is pointless.  Add to that, the fact that they throw canon out the window all the time. Now Moffat and Gatiss have been known to introduce  pointless plot developments into their stories (Molly's engagement, for example), but I don't think this is one of them. This all has to do with the fact that Moffat is very fond of the idea of family. The idea of "family" is all over his past projects--Coupling,  Jekyll, even Doctor Who (Amy and Rory were the first married couple to be The Doctor's companions. They even had a child--although that didn't work out like it usually does, but still...). And you couldn't miss the family bonding theme in this 3rd Sherlock series.  Anyway, what Moffat is doing here is something  that is sometimes done in genre TV--giving a/the protagonist a surrogate family. Through John and Mary, he is giving Sherlock a kind of family (i.e., couple/child) that he will never have on his own. This has nothing to do with what is or is not canon and everything to do with an idea that Moffat is partial to. And as it's his show, he can do whatever he wants. I'm not saying that Mary/baby will be playing a big role in upcoming series but they will be there.  I'm looking foward to the scene set 17 or 18 years in the future where Sherlock and John are interrogating one of the girl's dates before the couple heads out.

March 4, 2014 8:59 am  #52

Well, that would fit with their interview when they said they won´t just kill her off in the hiatus and plan to keep her around some time, now they introduced her so extensively. I didn´t know Moffat was so partial to surrogate families in his work.

The good thing is that this minimizes the danger for unborn baby Watson.

But the thought really worries me.. I dislike their family-interaction in TSoT with a passion and I have no idea how they could possibly make it work after all that happened. I´m open to let their genius surprise me, but.. oh no, I don´t even want to think about Sherlock/John/Baby-interactions.. Mary being the benevolent mother for all of them.. nooooo!!! *runs away screaming*

March 4, 2014 9:22 am  #53

I swear, if I see the "Let uncle Sherlock change your diapers thing or omg she is so cute when you're holding her", I will turn off my computer. It's Sherlock BBC, not The Big Bang Theory or How I met your mother.... http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/bored.png

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 4, 2014 9:22 am)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 4, 2014 9:37 am  #54

Theywon´tletthathappentheywon´tletthathappentheywon´t.. 

March 4, 2014 10:49 am  #55

Yet they somehow made that baby more real when they let John reveal that she will be a girl (and she will probably be called Shirley after Sherlock, I bet.)

Too much effort if they just want to kill baby off in S4.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif

March 4, 2014 11:00 am  #56

nakahara wrote:

Yet they somehow made that baby more real when they let John reveal that she will be a girl (and she will probably be called Shirley after Sherlock, I bet.)

Too much effort if they just want to kill baby off in S4.

My impression was that the 'it's a girl' bit was John's explanation for why none of Sherlock's names could work; Sherlock doesn't know about the conversation between John and Mary on this topic, although obviously we do know because the writers made sure we know...

March 4, 2014 11:07 am  #57

Well if there's a Baby, and if Mary is sticking around, then I guess things will go on much as they did last season, with some focus on John's happy family life and him getting caught up in Sherlock's adventures whenever he goes to visit him.
It could also mean a season finale that sees the death of Mary, which is something I really, really don't want, but we wait and see.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 4, 2014 11:34 am  #58

Can′t she just be kidnapped by TARDIS or by the Weeping Angels? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png

Last edited by nakahara (March 4, 2014 12:26 pm)

March 4, 2014 11:38 am  #59

Couldn´t the baby just live in the lovely countryside with John´s parents, please? I can´t stand anything happen to babys/kids on the TV anymore since I have kids myself, but happy family life..?

But you´re right Tinks, wait and see.. (argh..^^)

Edit: That´s a neat solution, nakahara! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 4, 2014 11:39 am)

March 4, 2014 12:24 pm  #60

Tinks wrote:

Well if there's a Baby, and if Mary is sticking around, then I guess things will go on much as they did last season, with some focus on John's happy family life and him getting caught up in Sherlock's adventures whenever he goes to visit him.
It could also mean a season finale that sees the death of Mary, which is something I really, really don't want, but we wait and see.

Well, the opening show will be a big knockdown fight between Sherlock and whoever is responsible for Moriarty's gif, and I cannot see John being allowed in on that with the lethal killer nurse in tow; I'm voting for a resolution in the first episode.

Unless, of course, Sherlock's sabotaged plane is forced to make a crash landing, tragically killing Mary in the process, but with John nobly rescuing Sherlock from the blazing wreckage

Board footera