BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 2:37 pm  #1

Janine Moriarty

My boyfriend came up with the theory that Janine must be Jim Moriraty´s sister and I think he might be correct.

1. They look somewhat similar

2. Irish accent

3. She is way to convenient for Sherlock in series 3 story arc. Even stupidly so. What is in it for her? Why would she consider dating him?  This might be a reflection of Jim’s Sherlock obession.

4. What did Magnussen have on her to be able to flick her face like he did to Watson? And what was in it for her? Wouldn’t that make her very powerful, working for Magnussen?

5. The answer to the mysteries are usually right in front of Sherlock’s face… like Janine.

6. Janine in the hospital with Sherlock. She is not done revenging, she will need the occasional top up as she said. Revenge for what? Her brother’s death?

7. Miss Me? Me (Moriraty). Miss Moriarty. Did anyone notice that her surname is never mentioned, not even in the credits.

8. How did she and Mary meet anyway. One could say that Mary befriended her because of her connection with Magnussen. But then again. Janine might have befriended Janine because of Mary’s connection to Watson—> Sherlock. We are never told anything about their friendship. And she might have known about Mary’s past from Magnussen.

9. Both Mary and Sherlock knew that Magnussen was out of his office. Probably because Janine had told them so. She might have arranged their little encounter in the office.

10. It is obviously not Jim Moriarty’s voice in the end scene. Could it be Janine—> his Miss Me.

11. Who could possibly have the power to broadcast all over the country simultaneously…. well, Magnussen being dead, probably his closest assistant Janine.

12. In the canon a Moriarty brother is mentioned. Actually, it is another James Moriarty. Jim—> James—> Janine.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by EMAndersson (January 19, 2014 4:08 pm)

January 19, 2014 2:48 pm  #2

Re: Janine Moriarty

Interesting. I did notice the Irish accent & also the fact that both Jim & Janine are slightly demented. But I don't think she is related to Jim. I also don't think it's the last that we've seen her.

January 19, 2014 3:19 pm  #3

Good points. I don't believe she's Moriarty's sister, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there must be something more behind her story. There were too many things we weren't shown.

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (January 19, 2014 3:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 8, 2014 3:56 am  #4

I also think Janine looks and acts like another of Sherlock's famous antagonists to be that person's sister.

Dark brunette? Sexy? Constant sexual innuendo and really wants to have sex with Sherlock? Kinky (the "handcuffs" line)?

February 8, 2014 8:58 am  #5

I'm not entirely sure James Moriarty wanted sex with Sherlock or indeed anybody...
But it seems so strikingly obvious to me that Janine is his sister...is it just a screaming red herring?
Or indeed a happy coincidence..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 10:50 am  #6

I do think her Irish accent was added either as a clue to some connection with Moriarty, or a red herring just to make us speculate. Knowing Moffat, it's probably the latter.

February 8, 2014 7:56 pm  #7

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I also think Janine looks and acts like another of Sherlock's famous antagonists to be that person's sister.

Dark brunette? Sexy? Constant sexual innuendo and really wants to have sex with Sherlock? Kinky (the "handcuffs" line)?

I was trying here to point out similarities with IRENE.

February 8, 2014 8:03 pm  #8

Yes, I see that too...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 8:17 pm  #9

I think this is probably correct. A tip of the cap is due as it never occured to me. Well done.

February 8, 2014 10:47 pm  #10

What if she is the twin? - Janine Moriarty

Paraphrased
Sherlock: "Have you kept in touch with John?"
Mycroft: "Oh yes, we meet every Friday for fish and chips!"

February 8, 2014 10:49 pm  #11

Hell yes...

June 23, 2014 7:24 pm  #12

There might be another clue. In the first season first episode, the old lady describes Moriarty's voice as "so soft". I could not link Moriarty's voice in the third episode to that. Maybe it's in fact a woman's voice?

June 23, 2014 7:28 pm  #13

Hmmm
Are there any other characters who we don't get the 2nd name for?

July 10, 2014 10:18 am  #14

Janine is buying a cottage in Sussex. Sherlock once analyzed that Carl Powers's shoes had mud "from Sussex with London mud overlaying it". Could these be coincidence?

July 10, 2014 11:33 am  #15

Ahh. I like that one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 10, 2014 4:24 pm  #16

Yep, well spotted!

September 23, 2014 4:52 pm  #17

I like this theory a lot. My only thing is that Jim's accent sounds different than Janine's. Maybe it's just that it's less pronounced or that Yasmine Akram didn't think to coordinate her Irish accent with Andrew Scott's.

From a Freudian perspective the fact that passionate dark-haired beauties leave Sherlock cold may have something to do with his mother being a cool blonde mathemetician.

September 23, 2014 8:21 pm  #18

arabella wrote:

I like this theory a lot. My only thing is that Jim's accent sounds different than Janine's. Maybe it's just that it's less pronounced or that Yasmine Akram didn't think to coordinate her Irish accent with Andrew Scott's.

From a Freudian perspective the fact that passionate dark-haired beauties leave Sherlock cold may have something to do with his mother being a cool blonde mathemetician.

hmm..   cool?   blonde?    mathematician?       just thinking of Mary,  and those skip codes etc.
check, check,  and check.     sorry,   maybe not.  

February 26, 2015 12:59 pm  #19

Since I'm American, I'm not quite sure if my research into the British schooling system is correct. However, if I'm right, then most kids finish 6th Form at the age of 18. Therefore, unless he was a year or two older, John Watson would have been 18 or 19 by 10 June 1999. Add on 11 years to the presumed year of 2010 for when Sherlock begins, and John would have started out the show at the age of 29-30. Going by that, he would be 30-32 by TRF, 32-34 by TEH, and 33-35 by HLV.

ahsan

October 2, 2015 6:53 pm  #20

rachtw wrote:

There might be another clue. In the first season first episode, the old lady describes Moriarty's voice as "so soft". I could not link Moriarty's voice in the third episode to that. Maybe it's in fact a woman's voice?

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to address this point.

The old woman presumes the speaker is male.

From the Ariane transcript:

OLD WOMAN: He was so ... His voice ... 
SHERLOCK (urgently): No, no, no, no. Tell me nothing about him. Nothing. 
OLD WOMAN: He sounded so ... soft.

I am doubtful that Janine is supposed to be the next Moriarty.  But if somebody did want to have some fun with idea, consider another things the old woman said, while "speaking" Moriarty's words:

OLD WOMAN: I like ... to watch you ... dance.

And who did Sherlock dance for in TSoT? 

Last edited by Magingus (October 2, 2015 6:54 pm)

Board footera