BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 1:05 am  #1

Mike Stamford and the violin.. among other things

I woudl very much like to understand where Mike Stamford is - I really do love the rol ehe played in both the canon and the BBC series. Was David Nellist already otherwise engaged?

And why does Sherlock have a new violin if the whole of Baker Street was preserved untouched? I know it was not a plot point but I reckon they would have to make it one for the music enthusiasts!

And maybe as a bonus episode:

"Sherlock describes the mystery of a French decathlete found surrounded by 1,812 matchboxes, all empty except one. This relates to a previously published case, The Inexplicable Matchbox, on John’s blog, which he is unable to recount due to the Official Secrets Act. However, he does mention Sherlock dressing as a clown and Mrs Hudson being pushed out of a helicopter." (from Metro, more info on the updated John blog)

January 18, 2014 12:41 pm  #2

Re: Mike Stamford and the violin.. among other things

I think John might have been lying in that blog post. 

The other things probably had practical reasons. Maybe they broke the violin or something and I guess the actor wasn't available. 

January 18, 2014 3:35 pm  #3

I'd like to see more of Sherlock actually playing the violin. He's basically only done it once this Series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 18, 2014 8:20 pm  #4

Plot got in the way. Annoying. 

January 19, 2014 1:02 am  #5

And they ran out of rehearsal time - this time Benedict didn't even try to play - mostly judging by how his bow hand and elbow indicate no string change and thus no active playing besides moving the bow up and down on a string.

And I just realised they also switched violins between series 1 and 2.. still, like Boss I can always hope for more violin elements in the upcoming series. It could be much more than only active playing too.. after all, the violin represents quite a lot!

Last edited by The Doctor (January 19, 2014 1:15 am)

January 19, 2014 11:03 am  #6

Oh, dear, this board is going to find every single mistake they made.  The doctors here have already debunked every medical aspect of the show and now the violin players do the rest. 

January 19, 2014 11:32 am  #7

Somewhere on tumblr I read a rant how bad Benedict's violin performance was, a thing that got me quite annoyed. He does brilliant actng work, carries the whole episode 2 on his shoulders and then people start nit-picking about every detail. 
Reminds me of the Buddhist story with the wall consisting of 998 perfectly set bricks and two crooked ones and you only notice those last two. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2014 11:39 am  #8

Susi, excellent comparison.
But you have this kind of criticism everywhere. Why can't they just enjoy what is good (or even brilliant)? No, they are looking for the slightest mistakes... making mountains out of molehills.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera