BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2014 10:39 am  #81

Re: Least favourable fan review of S3 I've read so far...

This is about development. About perspective, John's POV versus Sherlock's POV. About going new ways. About not being static. Listen to Mark and Steven talking about series 3 in the DVD extras. I cannot find anything surreal in that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

January 22, 2014 11:07 am  #82

I think it boils down to "I don't like the direction they took". Which is fine, but that doesn't mean that the direction is necessarily bad. I for my part enjoy the hell out of it. I agree though that next season I want at least one "propper" case episode. For the stories they picked this time around a character driven approach was the right one imho, but depending on which stories they pick for the next season, cases are important, too.

January 22, 2014 11:10 am  #83

That's what I wanted to say. I haven't got the DVDs yet. And what is realistic in Sherlock's pirouette for example? It's clearly too much. Nobody would do that outside a dance studio.

January 22, 2014 11:11 am  #84

Be, I understand what you mean, although 'surreal' seems to be too strong a word to me.

We see a lot of things happen for the first time, and I wonder how some of these things might have felt like if we'd seen them happen in S1. Sherlock dressing up as a waiter, for example. The situation in itself is a bit unusual, nevertheless it made me wonder what the Sherlock we've seen in S1 might have done with it.
There are other situations which felt pretty unfamiliar and novel to me - Sherlock doing those Opera House napkins, the way in which he treated Molly, the way in which his mind didn't seem to work as solidly as before... But to me most of those things make sense when you think about where he's probably coming from after those two years. The people he has left behind have moved on and changed (at least a bit), Sherlock also has changed. 
I mean let's face it, after two years he's coming back from the dead. That in itself certainly is a surreal situation, especially for John. So everything that happens between Sherlock and John also feels a bit not quite right.

What do you suspect, Be?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 22, 2014 11:18 am  #85

Be wrote:

That's what I wanted to say. I haven't got the DVDs yet. And what is realistic in Sherlock's pirouette for example? It's clearly too much. Nobody would do that outside a dance studio.

Does it have to be realistic? What is realistic in the series? People do not jump from buildings and play dead for two years. So why not a pirouette whilst being alone with just one other person in the room? Sherlock just solved a case/saved a life and and does something he likes, that is dancing. Why should we not grant him this short moment of exhilaration?

Last edited by SusiGo (January 22, 2014 11:19 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2014 11:34 am  #86

I don't think they had the option not to change. If they had made three episodes similar to series two it would have trailed off a bit. They have to go in new directions all the time.

January 22, 2014 12:00 pm  #87

Back when I still could do a decent Pirioutte, I was doing it from time to time when I was sure that nobody was present who would laugh at me. It's a really fun thing to do. Though I am really impressed Sherlock managed to do it in dress shoes.

One thing for sure, there was a lot of stuff in those three episodes which I didn't predict to happen but still made sense to me. That's a good thing. There are other things I would have loved to see but didn't get, like a scene with Sherlock and Donnovan, more interaction between John and Mycroft, and a more fleshed out Sebastian Moran. But that's what happens if you only have four and a half hour, there is simply not enough room for some stuff. Perhaps next season.

January 22, 2014 12:27 pm  #88

I didn't say that I can't appreciate character developement but in series one and two the developement was subtle and reasonable. Comedy elements were planted carefully and had a purpose. For example Sherlock in a sheet was funny, had a purpose, pointed out the character, his relationship with Mycroft and the establishment.
Now the comedy elements have almost a life of their own. Sherlock's mind doesn't work "as solidly as before"." It's a surreal situation, especially for John."

January 22, 2014 12:31 pm  #89

I really enjoyed the first two theories...for me, they tempered my expectations and set the tone for the episode.  I never thought either were real, and was laughing immensely.  I've never taken tv too seriously and always enjoyed when a show could have fun with the audience.  I see it as a sign that they care about us...and how often does that happen these days?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 22, 2014 1:01 pm  #90

Just wanted to add that I fall solidly on the side of not offended by the fan references in TEH.  I was actually tickled pink.  It made me happy to be a part of this wild wonderful fandom.  It felt like Mofftiss were going  "wink wik nudge nudge" We love you daft buggers!    Just my feeling.

"Back when I still could do a decent Pirioutte, I was doing it from time to time when I was sure that nobody was present who would laugh at me. It's a really fun thing to do. Though I am really impressed Sherlock managed to do it in dress shoes."

Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that this was our Benedict.  Benedict can pirioutte!  Seriously, my jaw dropped.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg

January 22, 2014 1:13 pm  #91

John: ...please tell me you haven't just gone out of your mind.
Sherlock: I'd rather keep you guessing.

January 22, 2014 2:56 pm  #92

I understand about what the writers' thought about the fall. There are so many solutions to it, which would they choose? Also, they had to make sure the fans were happy with such an explanation, so they decided to leave it open. The only problem I have with it is the fact that too many people were involved and knew Sherlock was alive. I mean his homeless network knew(at least 25 of them), Molly knew, Mycroft knew, and his parents knew. That's alot of people to know that Sherlock is alive. Too many. They put all that emotional trauma to John and to me, that was a bit not good. Yes, I know Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson didn't. But still, to me, it lessen the impact of TRF. Of course, my opinion. 

Series three as a whole to me was strange. To me, I thought Sherlock was going to wake up and this whole series was something Sherlock dreamt up to cope with what he dealt with during his two-year isolation. Heck, Sherlock was acting pretty strange and I guess that's why the tone it the way it is and I'm okay with it. But from what I watched of HLV, Sherlock is just the same old guy when in the two episodes, something really looked emotionally wrecked about him. He was hitting himself when he was in his Mind Palace. I still think Sherlock is out of character but I thought his OOC was a purpose to show us that something is wrong. But no. You could say "Well, it has been two years and he was taking down Moriarty's network. Of course, he would change." But there is the problem. Sherlock is the main character and Series three seemed to be in his point of view. Perfect opportunity to give us a glance at what he dealt with in those two years. They showed a piece in the beginning of TEH, but that was it.  

I'm sorry if anyone who likes Series three takes offense to my disappointment, but I just felt like Series three was lacking where Series 1 and 2 had. I'm not saying that Series three can't be different. No. Change can be good, but if the ideas aren't executed properly, I question it. That's how I feel. Series three had great ideas, but I felt they weren't executed properly. 

I can't wait to see what Series four has in stored for us. I just didn't like Series three as well as the past two.  But I don't hate it.

January 22, 2014 3:08 pm  #93

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

I understand about what the writers' thought about the fall. There are so many solutions to it, which would they choose? Also, they had to make sure the fans were happy with such an explanation, so they decided to leave it open. The only problem I have with it is the fact that too many people were involved and knew Sherlock was alive. I mean his homeless network knew(at least 25 of them), Molly knew, Mycroft knew, and his parents knew. That's alot of people to know that Sherlock is alive. Too many. They put all that emotional trauma to John and to me, that was a bit not good. Yes, I know Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson didn't. But still, to me, it lessen the impact of TRF. Of course, my opinion. 

Series three as a whole to me was strange. To me, I thought Sherlock was going to wake up and this whole series was something Sherlock dreamt up to cope with what he dealt with during his two-year isolation. Heck, Sherlock was acting pretty strange and I guess that's why the tone it the way it is and I'm okay with it. But from what I watched of HLV, Sherlock is just the same old guy when in the two episodes, something really looked emotionally wrecked about him. He was hitting himself when he was in his Mind Palace. I still think Sherlock is out of character but I thought his OOC was a purpose to show us that something is wrong. But no. You could say "Well, it has been two years and he was taking down Moriarty's network. Of course, he would change." But there is the problem. Sherlock is the main character and Series three seemed to be in his point of view. Perfect opportunity to give us a glance at what he dealt with in those two years. They showed a piece in the beginning of TEH, but that was it.  

I'm sorry if anyone who likes Series three takes offense to my disappointment, but I just felt like Series three was lacking where Series 1 and 2 had. I'm not saying that Series three can't be different. No. Change can be good, but if the ideas aren't executed properly, I question it. That's how I feel. Series three had great ideas, but I felt they weren't executed properly. 

I can't wait to see what Series four has in stored for us. I just didn't like Series three as well as the past two.  But I don't hate it.

Personally, I think the reason Sherlock is OOC is because of his situation with John.  He came back fully expecting everything to be back as it was, and it completely shocked him when it wasn't.  In episode 2, he's so devoted to making John happy because it's too devestating to think about what life will be like without him there.  I liked seeing this vulnerable side to his personality, though.  It was nice to see Sherlock on the backfoot for once.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 22, 2014 3:39 pm  #94

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

weirdos and misfits, morons and madmen 

Where did these "words" come from, btw.? I think I've read them about ten times in this thread now.... Must be something special? A quote?
And these "words", are they addressed to me? Because I liked S3? And I feel quite fine about that....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 22, 2014 4:12 pm  #95

Interesting how we all have different perceptions of the show. None of the characters felt OOC to me at all, least of all Sherlock. He always had an emotional side, usually tucked away, but Benedict showed glimpses of that part of him very deliberately. Everything that they showed about that in series 3 was already there in the beginning, only now it was explored more. And the bits of backstory didn't surprise me either. My impression is that Benedict created a very rounded character that acts consistent with its backstory, whatever that is. He feels very realistic to me. 

January 22, 2014 4:29 pm  #96

Mattlocked: I have no idea where they come from. They are not from the article with which the thread started.

silverblaze: Well said. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

January 22, 2014 4:40 pm  #97

silverblaze wrote:

Interesting how we all have different perceptions of the show. None of the characters felt OOC to me at all, least of all Sherlock. He always had an emotional side, usually tucked away, but Benedict showed glimpses of that part of him very deliberately. Everything that they showed about that in series 3 was already there in the beginning, only now it was explored more. And the bits of backstory didn't surprise me either. My impression is that Benedict created a very rounded character that acts consistent with its backstory, whatever that is. He feels very realistic to me. 

Agreed

January 22, 2014 4:48 pm  #98

I was just grateful to find that Sherlock is a detective who is not haunted by his past and has to fight his inner demons in every episode.

January 22, 2014 4:54 pm  #99

dartmoordoggers wrote:

I was just grateful to find that Sherlock is a detective who is not haunted by his past and has to fight his inner demons in every episode.

God, this.  It's so, soooo tiring to keep seeing the "Broken Goods"-type detective/police show.

January 22, 2014 6:06 pm  #100

Everyone has their own interpretation of characters. I never disputed that Sherlock has an emotional side. He does. Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job in bring that out of the character. But Sherlock has acted more emotional in Series three than the other two series. He smiles and laughs more. He seems to try and be considerate of people like John and Mary. Look at how he was trying to make their wedding special and everything. It was a shock, but it made me smile to see such an act. 

But... Was I the only one who was waiting for the nail to drop on Sherlock? He seemed to be acting so happy yet his Mind Palace scene in TSoT was a bit shocking when he began to hit himself and it felt like he was in pain.

Something was wrong with Sherlock and I began to remember a certain quote from Molly during TRF: "When he was dying, he was always happy and cheerful except when he though no one could see."

I guess this is just me, but really, there were signs that something is going on with Sherlock mentally and emotionally. But that never seemed to be explored or answered. =(

Board footera