BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 3:35 pm  #1

Irene's cameo

What did you think about Irene's cameo? Do you think she's a permanent fixture of Sherlock's mind palace? 

January 16, 2014 3:55 pm  #2

Re: Irene's cameo

Only if they can get Lara again. 

January 16, 2014 4:02 pm  #3

Maybe. It was a nice scene which I really liked. "Get out of my head, I'm busy." 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2014 4:03 pm  #4

Considering everything that happened involving her it's not surprising that The Woman has a place in the Palace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2014 4:20 pm  #5

A small article I found here:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-06/sherlock-season-3-lara-pulvers-irene-adler-makes-brief-appearance-in-the-sign-of-three

I like it very much when some things or person from former epsiodes suddenly re-appear. Even if just briefly. It "keeps the episodes connected" and I get the feeling of: "Oh, hi! Nice to see you again!"
And like Tonnaree said: In Irene's case it shows us how important she still is to Sherlock - in a way.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2014 6:09 pm  #6

Well, supposedly, Benedict said they did have dinner after he saved her in Karachi 

In any case, I found it all very telling - she's the only Woman in his mind, even after two years. It seems to me that in his mind palace the Woman has a different persona from the one we knew in ASiB, she looked quite tender, almost soft (!), not in the seductive dominatrix role we have come to known. In comparison to the other women in the mind courtroom, she was simply all class and mesmerising.

And naked, of course.

BTW I just loved how annoyed Sherlock was at Vicki's crassness, I did laugh out loud when he made that face after she said "Estee Lauder" 

January 16, 2014 7:35 pm  #7

shezza wrote:

Well, supposedly, Benedict said they did have dinner after he saved her in Karachi 

In any case, I found it all very telling - she's the only Woman in his mind, even after two years. It seems to me that in his mind palace the Woman has a different persona from the one we knew in ASiB, she looked quite tender, almost soft (!), not in the seductive dominatrix role we have come to known. In comparison to the other women in the mind courtroom, she was simply all class and mesmerising.

And naked, of course.

BTW I just loved how annoyed Sherlock was at Vicki's crassness, I did laugh out loud when he made that face after she said "Estee Lauder" 

Molly's in his Mind Palace too.  And we've only seen part of it, who knows who else might be lurking in the corners!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 16, 2014 7:39 pm  #8

The woman who beat him will obviously be there...
Tho I confess, I wasn't pleased to see her!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2014 7:54 pm  #9

I think Irene's appearance was meant to illustrate how everything was going wrong in that scene. Sherlock couldn't find the solution to the Mayfly Man case. Mycroft was in his mind but only shouting at him and it wasn't helping. Then Irene shows up - she could have helped him like she did in SIB when they deduced the boomerang accident together in Sherlock's dream. But she says nothing and just makes advances that he really can't use in that moment. So he sends her away. The solution for him then is to go back to reality, to John who always keeps him right. Then he solves the case.

(And perhaps Irene was also there for the subtext just so that the possibility of Sherlock being interpreted as heterosexual didn't go completely overboard after all the other stuff they put in TSO3 ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 16, 2014 7:57 pm  #10

Liked her. And since she's probably not going to come back as a character, it's nice to see her in the mind palace. Wonder what role she could play, maybe warn him for seduction. 

January 16, 2014 7:58 pm  #11

Hang on a minute.
They did NOT deduce the boomerang together.
Sherlock had already deduced it.
He set Irene the challenge and she correctly worked it out, too.
But he was not asking for her help.
She just showed him how clever she was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2014 8:03 pm  #12

Yes, but keep in mind that Irene isn't real in either of the two scenes. That version of her is just a figure in Sherlock's mind. He sees her as clever, and imagining to talk a case through with her is apparently a helpful way for him to sort his thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 16, 2014 8:06 pm  #13

I disagree.
He is not thinking of the case at that time.
It's already solved before he even leaves 221B.
His 'dream scene with Irene' is just a convenient way of explaining to the viewer what happened...
It's the S2 equivalent of the Anderson interview!(ooh, controversial!. Ha)

January 16, 2014 8:25 pm  #14

I thought the real Irene was actually talking to him when he was drugged in his bed when she left the coat. 

January 16, 2014 8:30 pm  #15

Yes.

January 16, 2014 9:46 pm  #16

besleybean wrote:

The woman who beat him will obviously be there...
Tho I confess, I wasn't pleased to see her!

Right there with you BB.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 16, 2014 9:53 pm  #17

As some of you already know - I LOVE Irene!
In my opinion she´s the only woman who could get along with Sherlock. She´s kind of equal.
She´s clever, she does everything to achieve what she wants. And behind her "mask" he saw her feelings. That might impressed him.
I would be very excited, glad and cryin´ loads of tearsof joy if they send us back Lara Pulver.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

January 16, 2014 9:57 pm  #18

Glad to see her there--and not in real life!

Yes, it was a nice bit of connection between the seasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 27, 2014 5:10 am  #19

There was an implication that she's still capable of distracting him....plus, I'm seeing certain similarities between her and Janine.

January 27, 2014 5:19 am  #20

shezza wrote:

I remember a Sherlock/Irene shipper posting that they wished this had happened...but what is your source for Benedict saying it?

Board footera