BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2014 10:48 am  #41

Re: Which stories and characters would we like to see in series 4?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will pick The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter. More Mycroft would be absolutely wonderful. It would also give Sherlock and Mycroft an opportunity to play another game of deductions. I loved that scene in season three when they threw the hat back and forth.

January 29, 2014 6:44 pm  #42

Regina Alexandra wrote:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will pick The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter. More Mycroft would be absolutely wonderful. It would also give Sherlock and Mycroft an opportunity to play another game of deductions. I loved that scene in season three when they threw the hat back and forth.

Oh yes, I would love that !

'The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes'

January 30, 2014 1:24 am  #43

thanks for the info  abt the ship's name.  The greek interpreter  story was done with Jeremy Brett.   It's a good story.   and I want to know,  in addition,  what Mycroft meant when he said,  "You know what happened to the other one."   The other WHAT?   PPl think there's a third Holmes  brother, but I'm not sure.   OOOHHH  so many possibilities,  and yet  STILL  only three episodes per season.   BAH!!!   us fans are still pushing for more episodes,   and those showrunners are still saying NO.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 30, 2014 6:34 am  #44

This fan is not pushing for any more episodes per season, because I trust the judgement of the BBC Sherlock team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2014 12:37 pm  #45

I would like to see Silver Blaze - and John win a big wager!

January 30, 2014 1:21 pm  #46

They could do an Ascott related episode out of it - wouldn't that be fun?

January 30, 2014 5:00 pm  #47

No!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2014 6:42 pm  #48

sherlockskitty wrote:

It's a good story.   and I want to know,  in addition,  what Mycroft meant when he said,  "You know what happened to the other one."   The other WHAT?   PPl think there's a third Holmes  brother, but I'm not sure.  

According to Sherlockin lore there was a third Holmes brother, Sherrinford, who was a few years older than Mycroft, but we never hear about him in the stories so I am unclear on exactly where scholars have got this idea from.
It may simply be yet another fanboy canon comment on Moffat's and Gatiss' part. Just like the mention of Sherlock's full name.

And speaking of brothers. There was supposedly three Moriarty borthers as well, though we only hear about two of them in the canon stories. So I assume that the "returned" Moriarty is one of these brothers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 31, 2014 6:40 am  #49

If he's returned at all!

January 31, 2014 8:37 am  #50

besleybean wrote:

If he's returned at all!

Why do you think I put returned in quotationmarks? All I said was that there is cnonical basis for more than one Moriarty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 31, 2014 10:25 pm  #51

Victoire wrote:

What I would like for season 4 :
- Inspirations from canon stories : Musgrave ritual - The Illustruous Client and The Devil's foot
- Character : Mycroft as present as in season 3
- Overall the focus shifting again on solving cases instead of personal/background stories about the characters. I would like them to keep a part of mystery.

And I definitely love the idea of David Tennant as special guest http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Solving cases is something we have missed a little bit on the last season.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ohmtth.gif
The begining of a great adventure!!!

February 2, 2014 7:35 am  #52

I  thought that Sherringford was a name that Conan Doyle had made up, to name the detective  we now know is Sherlock Holmes.  I  Also read the name sherrngford in connection with Harry Potter.  I'll have to go to my mind palace;  i'll be back in a few.     

Yeah....those two (SH  & JW)  solving cases  is something  I  missed  mostly  in   the empty Hearse and in the sign of three.  His Last Vow I'm not sure of.   So,  next season really ought to be focused on solving mysteries,   not in  skipping back and forth between the charries and the smaller cases  which had nothing to do with Doyle's lot.   

Last edited by sherlockskitty (February 2, 2014 7:39 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 2, 2014 8:32 am  #53

It wouldn't happen but I'd quite like to see Damien Lewis play a villain!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 2, 2014 8:36 am  #54

As  much as I like him, I somehow don't fancy Lewis in Sherlock...
There's only ONE Etonian I would like to see in Sherlock...

February 2, 2014 8:53 am  #55

Oh yes!!!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg

February 2, 2014 2:03 pm  #56

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  thought that Sherringford was a name that Conan Doyle had made up, to name the detective  we now know is Sherlock Holmes.  I  Also read the name sherrngford in connection with Harry Potter.  I'll have to go to my mind palace;  i'll be back in a few.     

Yeah....those two (SH  & JW)  solving cases  is something  I  missed  mostly  in   the empty Hearse and in the sign of three.  His Last Vow I'm not sure of.   So,  next season really ought to be focused on solving mysteries,   not in  skipping back and forth between the charries and the smaller cases  which had nothing to do with Doyle's lot.   

You're right; Sherrinford was on Conan Doyle's list of possible names for his detective. It eventually became part of fanlore as the name for an older brother. The reason for that is in one story (Greek Interpreter I think) Holmes mentioned that he and Mycroft were descended from country squires. Since neither one if them seemed to have inherited a country estate, fans reasoned there must have been an older brother who did.

February 2, 2014 10:57 pm  #57

The Red-Headed League. That leaves some interesting possibilities for casting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 7, 2014 11:09 am  #58

Oh Sebastian Moran.

February 20, 2014 1:48 am  #59

LoveBug54 wrote:

Aytoun wrote:

Stories; -
Musgrave ritual, Speckled band, Greek Interpreter, Devil’s foot.

Characters;-
More of all the supporting characters, especially Lestrade who was given almost nothing to do in ‘His Last Vow’ and Donovan who was in series 3 for all of five minutes.

Harry Watson – I was disappointed that she didn’t appear at the wedding and where did all the gay people go in series 3? I’m not talking about Johnlock here, I mean characters like the couple who ran the hotel in Baskerville.

Moriarty – And I never thought I would say that as I’m usually a great one for leaving dead characters dead, but yes, I’ve missed him.

Mycroft – rapidly becoming one of my favourites.

I also want to know who Mary really is and then I want her to die or leave.  Not just because I think that they should have gone for matter of fact, understated Johnlock (and after series 3 I’m convinced that they never will) but because it just isn’t going to work as the Sherlock, John and Mary show. Romance or bromance Sherlock and John are the glue that holds the show together.

Aside from my comment about Harry I also hope that they drop all the babies, dogs, parents (and deep breath because I know many people will disagree) long lost Holmes siblings. Let’s not turn it into a soap opera.   If anyone’s wondering I regard Harry as a separate case because it was established right from the beginning that John had a sister.

Some more complex cases for Sherlock would be good too.

I agree. The Holmes Watson Watson Detective Agency would be a shark-jumping moment for the series. The "hitman with a heart of gold" trope is a tired one and I can't believe Moftiss went there.

I'd like some explanation for Sherlock being so off the whole series. Examples: 1. Inability to come up with any options for dealing with a bomb. Are we to believe that the man who can pick locks and open safes doesn't have at least some rudimentary knowledge of bomb defusing? 2. Slowness in figuring out who the target would be at Johns wedding even though John had told him his former CO had received more death threats than Sherlock? Is this the same guy who deciphered Adlers email in eight seconds? 3. Mary's "case." Sherlock had months to help her with Magnussen yet went to Appledore with no backup plan. Really? He had thirteen scenarios for escaping from Barts roof. What the hell is wrong with him?

But hasn't this series made it so that Sherlock is always "off his game" compared to how brilliant he was in canon? For a lot of season 1 and 2, we had either Irene or Moriarty around, both of whom could flummox or outsmart Sherlock. I think this Sherlock so often encounters people as smart as him that he doesn't have a normal "on his game" mode when he seems that brilliant.

But as far as how he handled Mary's case - it couldn't have helped that he'd been shot. I wouldn't have been blamed if he'd decided NOT to help her at all, on the basis of that.

I'm not advocating for Irene to come back...but if she has to, I think we could get a funny moment when John meets her. Something like, "Oh god, isn't anybody really dead anymore?" Because that would make three - although, if said at the wrong time in the wrong way, it could come out sounding like he wished Sherlock had really died.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 20, 2014 1:49 am)

February 21, 2014 9:46 am  #60

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

LoveBug54 wrote:

Aytoun wrote:

Stories; -
Musgrave ritual, Speckled band, Greek Interpreter, Devil’s foot.

Characters;-
More of all the supporting characters, especially Lestrade who was given almost nothing to do in ‘His Last Vow’ and Donovan who was in series 3 for all of five minutes.

Harry Watson – I was disappointed that she didn’t appear at the wedding and where did all the gay people go in series 3? I’m not talking about Johnlock here, I mean characters like the couple who ran the hotel in Baskerville.

Moriarty – And I never thought I would say that as I’m usually a great one for leaving dead characters dead, but yes, I’ve missed him.

Mycroft – rapidly becoming one of my favourites.

I also want to know who Mary really is and then I want her to die or leave.  Not just because I think that they should have gone for matter of fact, understated Johnlock (and after series 3 I’m convinced that they never will) but because it just isn’t going to work as the Sherlock, John and Mary show. Romance or bromance Sherlock and John are the glue that holds the show together.

Aside from my comment about Harry I also hope that they drop all the babies, dogs, parents (and deep breath because I know many people will disagree) long lost Holmes siblings. Let’s not turn it into a soap opera.   If anyone’s wondering I regard Harry as a separate case because it was established right from the beginning that John had a sister.

Some more complex cases for Sherlock would be good too.

I agree. The Holmes Watson Watson Detective Agency would be a shark-jumping moment for the series. The "hitman with a heart of gold" trope is a tired one and I can't believe Moftiss went there.

I'd like some explanation for Sherlock being so off the whole series. Examples: 1. Inability to come up with any options for dealing with a bomb. Are we to believe that the man who can pick locks and open safes doesn't have at least some rudimentary knowledge of bomb defusing? 2. Slowness in figuring out who the target would be at Johns wedding even though John had told him his former CO had received more death threats than Sherlock? Is this the same guy who deciphered Adlers email in eight seconds? 3. Mary's "case." Sherlock had months to help her with Magnussen yet went to Appledore with no backup plan. Really? He had thirteen scenarios for escaping from Barts roof. What the hell is wrong with him?

But hasn't this series made it so that Sherlock is always "off his game" compared to how brilliant he was in canon? For a lot of season 1 and 2, we had either Irene or Moriarty around, both of whom could flummox or outsmart Sherlock. I think this Sherlock so often encounters people as smart as him that he doesn't have a normal "on his game" mode when he seems that brilliant.

But as far as how he handled Mary's case - it couldn't have helped that he'd been shot. I wouldn't have been blamed if he'd decided NOT to help her at all, on the basis of that.

I'm not advocating for Irene to come back...but if she has to, I think we could get a funny moment when John meets her. Something like, "Oh god, isn't anybody really dead anymore?" Because that would make three - although, if said at the wrong time in the wrong way, it could come out sounding like he wished Sherlock had really died.

Actually Holmes was far from always brilliant in the Canon. He made many mistakes and more than one that cost people their lives, Five Orange Pips and The Dancing Men springs to mind here. He also quite often went off on a wrong lead or was flummoxed (God it's been ages since I heard that word last http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png
) but since Watson skirted the issue most of the times it occured it may be less noticable. So I would say that the portrayal we get of Sherlock over the three seasons is closer to the Canon version than the flawlessly brilliant detective Holmes is usually depicted as.

Board footera