BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 10:23 am  #1

The Hug

Ok, everyone this is my dark secret, and I think I might very well be alone in it (please, please say of I am not), but I have watched three times now and I still cringe every time I see the hug. I think my issue is the publicness of it, and the everyone clapping thing. I would have loved John and Sherlock's fist hug to have been a private affair, more like the beautiful handshake in HLV. 
So is it just me?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 15, 2014 10:46 am  #2

Re: The Hug

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I would have loved John and Sherlock's fist hug to have been a private affair, more like the beautiful handshake in HLV. 
So is it just me?

I think some people are never satisfied.
This hug was 1. a hug (!) 2. very spontaneous and 3. completely genuine and honest.
So: No, I don't have a problem that it was in public. Quite the converse: This way John showed all his friends and family how much he loves Sherlock!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 15, 2014 10:48 am  #3

I absolutely agree. I loved the hug and it was very much in character. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 10:50 am  #4

I also think it was perfect the way it was. In TEH John says himself that emotions aren't easy for him, and in TSoT there just comes the point when he is clearly very moved by Sherlock's speech. So he gets up and hugs him, and I think for both of them it's very much in character. Sherlock doesn't even really hug him back, and still it works perfectly (for me).

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 15, 2014 11:09 am  #5

No, Sherlock just mentions that he's not finished, yet.    Loved it.

January 15, 2014 1:45 pm  #6

It was perfection.  As others have stated the wedding was just the right environment for the hug to finally happen.  Even utterly hetrosexual manly men are allowed to hug each other at weddings. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 1:56 pm  #7

Does anyone remember the hug between Billy Mack and his manager in "Love Actually"?  Just saying. 

January 15, 2014 2:06 pm  #8

I agree. And  I also think - when they are in private Sherlock and John don't need to hug, because they have their own language to express what they want to express (looks, silences, etc)

January 15, 2014 2:17 pm  #9

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I would have loved John and Sherlock's fist hug to have been a private affair, more like the beautiful handshake in HLV.

Gosh, you talk about it like it was sex.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 15, 2014 2:17 pm  #10

Ozma wrote:

I agree. And  I also think - when they are in private Sherlock and John don't need to hug, because they have their own language to express what they want to express (looks, silences, etc)

Eye sex.

Sorry, I'll just go stand in my corner again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 2:31 pm  #11

Mattlocked wrote:

Does anyone remember the hug between Billy Mack and his manager in "Love Actually"? Just saying.

Yes, yes, YES! Absolutely love it! These two guys are my favourite pairing in that movie anyway.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 15, 2014 2:34 pm  #12

SolarSystem wrote:

I also think it was perfect the way it was. In TEH John says himself that emotions aren't easy for him, and in TSoT there just comes the point when he is clearly very moved by Sherlock's speech. So he gets up and hugs him, and I think for both of them it's very much in character. Sherlock doesn't even really hug him back, and still it works perfectly (for me).

Perfectly put, Solar. I agree in all points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2014 9:36 pm  #13

Mattlocked wrote:

Does anyone remember the hug between Billy Mack and his manager in "Love Actually"? Just saying.

haha! yes!! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 15, 2014 10:20 pm  #14

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had a giggle! Loved Jacco's and tonaree's comments especially!

I think my reaction to the hug must be my own issue to take to therapy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

Board footera