BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



January 15, 2014 4:19 pm  #21


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Btw: Is "you could print that on a t-shirt" a common expression? I recognized it has been used two times - which....err.... I didn't like that much the second time. 

But in general I LOVE S3!!! 


__________________________________

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan
 

January 15, 2014 4:20 pm  #22


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, finally! The thread I was looking for!http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

YES - I DO LOVE SERIES THREE!
It was definitely worth the wait.
I wouldn't hesitate to have this written on the front of my T shirt.
And on the backside, of course.http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

 
I'll have it tattooed on my backside!  *giggle*


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

January 15, 2014 4:21 pm  #23


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

I'm not sure if I got your point, silverblaze, but to me "Sherlock" is the expensive wine, while most other shows are party wines. After S3 even more so.

Watching Sherlock spoiled me for not-so-brilliant crime shows. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

January 15, 2014 4:33 pm  #24


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

SusiGo wrote:

I think the writers have been quite courageous in making some daring choices which one may like or not. They could have gone on as before relying on things that worked and were successful which would have been the safe thing to do. 
And I love to see how the characters develop and change and change again and interact. For me Sherlock has always been more drama than crime series and in series 3 this becomes quite clear. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly.Also with the first two series I for myself could never decide which one is my favourite episode, I can´t put them in a row like others do. The same with series 3, I love them all, it depends on my mood which one I like to watch. The writers experimented indeed a lot and I love that - no risk is boring and gets predictable. And it worked for me.
I am sometimes a little sad because of the reviews of episode 1 - I think it´s an amazing film, and Mark Gatiss had the bad luck to start with all the expectations people have built in the previous two years. This nearly can´t work well. But it´s such a good film and when you watch it with a little distance it works even more.
And in the last days I also came to the conclusion that it´s quite good to show them so short after another, because they belong to each other, at least because of the changing atmosphere. So you are going on a long rollercoaster with the ups and downs which are shown.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 15, 2014 4:36 pm)

 

January 15, 2014 4:53 pm  #25


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

The thing I loved most about series 3 (apart from the things that have already been mentioned here) was the route they took with Mary. Her character is just great IMO. And then especially the fact that Sherlock liked her. So much even that he made a vow to protect her, not just because she's John's wife but because he really likes her as a person and allows her to be one of his closest friends. I didn't expect that and I thought it was a wonderful idea. Although Sherlock had his problems with the fact that John didn't live in Baker Street anymore, all three of them made an effort to get along and it worked most of the time.
In general there was so much about friendship in this series, it was even more in focus than in S1 and S2, and I thought it was wonderful.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140302/9ovmk4uv.jpg
… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.
 

January 15, 2014 5:07 pm  #26


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

In addition: They have clearly experimented with different genres, you get three different types of films in the end, connected with an underlying ground theme (friendship). TEH was an experiment around the 4th. wall, TSoT a pure crime comedy mixed with features of an episode drama, HLV is a dark psycho thriller. Good mix.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 15, 2014 5:10 pm)

 

January 15, 2014 5:10 pm  #27


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Good analysis. There are people who appreciate experiments and others want everything to stay the same. Imagine what would have happened if there had been no character development, no new approach … http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

January 15, 2014 5:16 pm  #28


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

No, I wouldn´t like that, too. And I think this is also new now, this genre experiment. THoB was one as well, of course (horror genre), and maybe one can say ASiP (and probably also TGG) are going a little bit in the direction of a gothic novel (but more from the atmosphere). But the rest I couldn´t define so easily, which is fine by the way, I love them, too. It´s just that this time they handled it differently, they tried something new and I appreciate that.

 

January 15, 2014 5:22 pm  #29


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

You know what? If you asked me which series was my favourite or least favourite, I don't think I could give you an answer. And it should be simple, because every series only has three episodes, right?

What I mean is that I love each and every series for what it is. Each one has its strong points and weaknesses, and I think every series also has its own flavour and ambiance. I can definitely say that, so far, I've always liked the middle episode least, but I still liked it and would rewatch it at any time.

I will admit that I haven't been able to follow each and every thread here on the forum on series 3, and, yes, there has been a certain amount of criticism posted online, but I didn't have the impression that series 3 was widely lambasted. Quite often the negative tends to be more memorable to us, so we focus more on it. Let's remember that we've also heard lots of squeeing and overall positive opinions about series 3.

I think some of the "problem" is that series 3 had a bit of a different feel, and the human mind is made to be instinctively wary of change. It may just take some "getting used to", although of course this doesn't apply to the casual viewer who will probably not watch an episode more than once.

I also think that a lot of the criticism is what we call "high level whining" in Germany. All things considered, Sherlock is still quality television. But when you're constantly raising the bar as a series creator/writer, the viewers start to expect a constant or even increasing level of quality. When it falls short in one or more aspects or doesn't meet viewer expectation in terms of story resolution, the internet gives everyone who is even just slightly disgruntled the perfect outlet for their outcry. This may be what we're seeing here.

So much for my take on it. I, for one, loved season three, and am looking forward to series 4 like an excited child awaiting Christmas the first week of January.


___________________________________________
"Oh please. Killing me, that's so two years ago."
DominionFans.com

 
 

January 15, 2014 5:27 pm  #30


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Very well said, TeeJay!
That's the reason why I needed to watch each episode of S3 twice at least. Because I am "used to" several things, so my first reaction was: WHAT!? 
I had to change my point of view then. And it worked for me.
And it's true: It is a very interesting and challenging experiment!


__________________________________

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan
 

January 15, 2014 5:58 pm  #31


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

It was my favourite season, too, I think.   I absolutely loved it. (Although I do have a few issues with some things.)

I loved the mind-palace stuff, I  loved the stag do, I loved the Parliament blowing up, I loved the twists, I loved Sherlock's speech, I loved Mycroft, I loved the Holmes family, ...
 

 

January 15, 2014 6:34 pm  #32


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Mattlocked wrote:

Very well said, TeeJay!
That's the reason why I needed to watch each episode of S3 twice at least. Because I am "used to" several things, so my first reaction was: WHAT!? 
I had to change my point of view then. And it worked for me.
And it's true: It is a very interesting and challenging experiment!

It was surely difficult to surprise people since so many theories had already been discussed. But the writers managed a lot of exciting twists. I like it better if they take risks to make something new and unexpected than if they only try to live up to people's expectations. It can go wrong but it's worth it.
The nods to the fandom were funny though (especially in TEH) and the amount of subtext in TSOT ...


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140302/9ovmk4uv.jpg
… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.
 

January 15, 2014 6:43 pm  #33


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

silverblaze wrote:

What did I love? OMG, what DIDN'T I love! I'm not on the haters/critics team on this. 
 

Oh, can we please please please not use this word 'haters'. It's such a brutal word and doesn't fit into the context at all. I mean, I am sure that nobody here in this forum does actually hate series 3.

It's right there are a lot of discussion going on at the moment especially about the things people don't like. But that has nothing to do with hate or with belonging to a "like/don't like team". It's true people often tend to expose at first the negativ things or do nit-picking at something brilliant ("high level whining" like TeeJay said). Therefore this thread is a very good idea to visualize all the wonderful and brilliant moments we had with series 3.

But still, it must be also ok that people can talk about the things they didn't like or perhaps find confusing. I am sure this forum is for many of us the only way to really communicate and share opinions with other fans. I like the respectful contact we have all with each other. Please let's not disturb this with unnecessary love/hate "team building".

(@silver: I am sure you don't meant it like that. Please don't see this as an accusation. I just had the feeling that it was a necessary thing to say. There was a love/hate-discussion at the Hobbit thread a couple of weeks ago which had made me sad a bit. By the way, I like your metaphor with the wine. I totally agree with that!)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."
 

January 15, 2014 6:49 pm  #34


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

It is absolutely okay that people write about what they do not like. It was my personal wish to open this thread to counterbalance the IMO one-sided negative criticism. This is not about creating factions but to appreciate what is good about the series. 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

January 15, 2014 6:55 pm  #35


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

SusiGo wrote:

It is absolutely okay that people write about what they do not like. It was my personal wish to open this thread to counterbalance the IMO one-sided negative criticism. This is not about creating factions but to appreciate what is good about the series. 

Definitively! That's not what I meant. I just wish to avoid the word 'hate' and that people might get the impression that criticism push them into a certain corner. I don't know if I could make my intention clear. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/worried.png


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."
 

January 15, 2014 7:08 pm  #36


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

In the spirit of loving series 3.... It's.........

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/185/f/7/sherlock_brilliant__gif_by_sherlocksscarf-d55svm4.gif


___________________________________________
"Oh please. Killing me, that's so two years ago."
DominionFans.com

 
 

January 15, 2014 7:10 pm  #37


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

It's fine, stoertebeker. I do not like the word hate either. 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

January 15, 2014 7:19 pm  #38


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

anjaH_alias wrote:

In addition: They have clearly experimented with different genres, you get three different types of films in the end, connected with an underlying ground theme (friendship). TEH was an experiment around the 4th. wall, TSoT a pure crime comedy mixed with features of an episode drama, HLV is a dark psycho thriller. Good mix.

Thanks for putting into words and writing down what I haven't quite been able to get my head around up until now. I guess these differences in genre are what made it a bit difficult for me at first to fully come to terms with S3. It felt different, it didn't feel as homogeneous as S1 and S2, I didn't really feel like a comfortable flow. At first. But now I appreciate that they tried something else - and still stayed true to so many things we've come to love during the first two series. This mix you're talking about is challenging, I'd say, because we were used to something a little different.

Okay, and now I need to watch one of those episodes again. Desperately. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?"
http://picload.org/image/wcodogr/jungssignatur.jpg

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

January 15, 2014 7:48 pm  #39


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Honestly, I loved it all!  It was far different than what I expected and that made it even better.  I especially loved the interactions between Sherlock and Mycroft.

 

January 15, 2014 7:55 pm  #40


Re: The "I love series 3" thread

Yes, the whole Sherlock/Mycroft development was wonderful. The brutal beginning in Serbia and you think nothing has changed between them. But the moment Sherlock returns to London things begin to change. The Operation scene, Mycroft in his mind and mind palace, Mycroft fully knowing that for Sherlock caring may not be an advantage and therefore feeling for him ... not to mention the end. Wow. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum