BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 11:39 am  #1

Potential "Fake Moriarties"

I really don't believe that Moriarty is alive. In my eyes there are three possibilities.

1. The whole thing was just designed to pull Sherlock back from his assignment from someone who wanted to rescue him.

That was my initially believe, and if this had been the last episode of the whole series, I would have stuck to it. But it doesn't really offer a lot of material for a new season. Unlike possibility two.

2. There is an entirely new villain

But that would mean an astonishly lack of built-up from the side of the writers. So I now go for option three

3. It is a villain which is connected to Moriarty in some way

That leaves basically two option. The first one is Professor Moriarty's brother. There is next to no canon material about him, though. He technically doesn't even have a name, because is is given as "James" in the book, and that one became the first name of Professor Morarty later on. Therefore I am currently inclined to hope for the second option:

Colonel Sebastian Moran.

Yes, I know, Moran already turned up in TEH. BUT (and that is something I didn't realize for a long time) his first name was never given. He was only called "Lord Moran". I was a little bit confused that none of the characteristics which "belong" to the character of Sebastian Moran made it into the episode - a card player, a sharp shooter, an adventurer, a part of Moriarty's net aso. But when I was working on my reference list, I realized that there are two Moran's mentioned in "The Empty House" - Colonel Sebastian Moran and his father Sir Moran. So what if the character we saw in TEH is not Sebastian Moran but the interpretation of Sir Moran (who is only mentioned in passing in Canon, pretty much like Moriarty's brother)? This would mean that Sebastian Moran is still out there, and might now want revenge, not necessarily for Moriarty, but because Sherlock is responsible for the arrest of a relative of his (not necessarily his father).

Thoughts?

January 14, 2014 11:46 am  #2

Re: Potential "Fake Moriarties"

I agree. In fact they use the name of Moran in THE, but not what is character truly represents in the Canon. there is still room to make it appear under another identity. I would not be surprised if they merge the role of Moran in the Canon with some vilian connected to Moriarty (his brother - if I remember well the colonel Moriarty is mentioned in the beginning of The Empty House)

'The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes'

January 14, 2014 11:51 am  #3

Colonel Moriarty is mentioned at the start of "The Final Problem", and the only thing said about him was that he defended the memory of his brother.

January 14, 2014 1:14 pm  #4

I think it will be a Moriarty; and it will be played by Andrew Scott. Whilst the multi-broadcast is open to the possibilty that anyone could be behind it; there is the further broadcast as the credits finish and program ends. That leaves no doubt as to who it is.
And we were told to watch right to the end.

January 14, 2014 1:32 pm  #5

Maybe, but this threat is supposed to be about potential culprits if it isn't Moriarty.

January 14, 2014 1:34 pm  #6

dartmoordoggers wrote:

I think it will be a Moriarty; and it will be played by Andrew Scott. Whilst the multi-broadcast is open to the possibilty that anyone could be behind it; there is the further broadcast as the credits finish and program ends. That leaves no doubt as to who it is.
And we were told to watch right to the end.

Thats true, i hadn't thought of that. I was starting to think it must be another villain, and the clip was just a hoax. But like you say, why would they add that bit right at the end after the credits if that was the case? It must be Moriarty. Or A Moriarty. 

Anyone else have any theories regarding that little end clip and why it was put there?

Edit: Sorry Swanpride, realise this is off topic. Will move to a different thread.

Last edited by macytree (January 14, 2014 1:37 pm)

January 14, 2014 1:38 pm  #7

"Yes, I know, Moran already turned up in TEH. BUT (and that is something I didn't realize for a long time) his first name was never given. He was only called "Lord Moran". I was a little bit confused that none of the characteristics which "belong" to the character of Sebastian Moran made it into the episode - a card player, a sharp shooter, an adventurer, a part of Moriarty's net aso. But when I was working on my reference list, I realized that there are two Moran's mentioned in "The Empty House" - Colonel Sebastian Moran and his father Sir Moran. So what if the character we saw in TEH is not Sebastian Moran but the interpretation of Sir Moran (who is only mentioned in passing in Canon, pretty much like Moriarty's brother)? This would mean that Sebastian Moran is still out there, and might now want revenge, not necessarily for Moriarty, but because Sherlock is responsible for the arrest of a relative of his (not necessarily his father)."

I like this theory and it sounds entirely plausible to me.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 14, 2014 1:38 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg

January 14, 2014 2:37 pm  #8

Swanpride wrote:

Maybe, but this threat is supposed to be about potential culprits if it isn't Moriarty.

I'm well aware of that. Thats why I put forward 'a Moriarty'. One who will be played by Andrew Scott.
One of your options you put forward is Moriartys brother. My suggestion was also another Moriarty, (that could well be a brother), Yet that  is off topic?

January 14, 2014 2:39 pm  #9

Interesting. I've been thinking of the same thing and came to the upposite conclusion. 

I think they dealt with Moran already, they didn't seem to find him very interesting as a villain and they already had Lord Moran, I think his storyline is really over. 

I've read a few good theories why it could be Moriarty but I'm still not willing to believe it for two reasons:
1: he always worked in the shadows, no one knew what he looked like. Bit strange for him to suddenly flash his face on national television. Not really what he does.
2: he's blown his brains out. 

I find the second argument rather convincing, personally. That leaves the new villain, Moriarty's brother or Mycroft. All three of them could have used some old footage to create the little film. 

New villain: He must be a copycat of sorts. Why would he make the film? The only thing I can think of is that he is a terrorist of sorts. No idea who it could be, maybe Von Bork from His Last Bow? It's not impossible to pull off a new villain without buildup, but why would the writers use an old villain to introduce a new one? Seems counterproductive to me.

Brother: If Morarty's brother really is a twin who looks a lot like him, why doesn't he make a proper film of himself? Ergo, it's not a twin or the film would have been better. If it's his brother, he probably doesn't look like him a lot. Again, he'd have to be some kind of terrorist. He has a motive, revenge, or possibly taking over his brother's legacy. Narratively he has the same problem as the new villain, he'd probably pale in comparson with Moriarty. 

Mycroft: his motive is obvious, he probably has access to Moriarty footage, his PA could easily make the film and he'd probably be capable to work out a way to broadcast it. I still think this is the most elegant solution, though perhaps not the most exciting one. It will probably be a bit disappointing for people who expect Moriarty to be back. However, I could picture the Moftiss thinking that this might be an unexpected twist (sorry Moftiss).

If I were the writers, I'd go for Mycroft. It does provide new opportunities for conflict and to get Mycroft in real trouble. He's too powerful as a character and (as someone else has mentioned here already) a bit of a deus ex machina sometimes. Exploiting his weakness would make the show more interesting and this is what you could do with that film. I'm sure his employers wouldn't be pleased if they found out that used government money to stage a terrorist attack in order to save his brother. Mycroft needs to go down. 

January 14, 2014 2:39 pm  #10

The 3rd option might be the next plot and even moriarty might be back both sherlock and moriarty think almost the same way if sherlock can fake his 'death' than even moriarty is capable of doing that. And moriarty stil lives!! but just in sherlock's mind palace!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/hidp.png/

January 14, 2014 2:48 pm  #11

What puts me off Mycroft's trail is that this would be such a public move. That is not really Mycroft's style. He prefers to act from the shadows.

@dartmoordoggers Oh, sorry, now I get it...so you are for the "twin brother" theory?

Last edited by Swanpride (January 14, 2014 2:50 pm)

January 14, 2014 4:04 pm  #12

Swanpride wrote:

What puts me off Mycroft's trail is that this would be such a public move. That is not really Mycroft's style. He prefers to act from the shadows.

So does Moriarty. Nobody knew even his face when he was active so broadcasting it on every channel is a bit of a leap for him too. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png
 But we agree that it's unlikely to be him.

I can't think of a motive for a new villain either, Moran or otherwise, don't they all prefer to be a bit more subtle? Why would anyone do this? 

The only one with an obvious motive is Mycroft. There are a lot of not so subtle clues that he doesn't want his brother dead. He needs to pretend he doesn't care but he does, it's his weakness and it will be exploited when people find out (yes, when, not if, I think it's gonna happen). The film was so convenient for him, he can keep up appearence and save his brother at the same time. 

Get me a scenario more convincing and I'll recoil in shame (ok, maybe not really). What could be a motive for a villain to advertise in this manner? 

January 14, 2014 5:28 pm  #13

If Moran wants personal revenge, he might have a good reason...it might be difficult to find Sherlock when he is deep undercover.

Either that, or it is part of a bigger plan. Like Moriarty's very public trial, which was mostly "advertising" for a computer code which didn't even exist.

Last edited by Swanpride (January 14, 2014 5:29 pm)

January 14, 2014 6:10 pm  #14

silverblaze wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

So does Moriarty. Nobody knew even his face when he was active so broadcasting it on every channel is a bit of a leap for him too. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png
 But we agree that it's unlikely to be him.

I can't think of a motive for a new villain either, Moran or otherwise, don't they all prefer to be a bit more subtle? Why would anyone do this? 

The only one with an obvious motive is Mycroft. There are a lot of not so subtle clues that he doesn't want his brother dead. He needs to pretend he doesn't care but he does, it's his weakness and it will be exploited when people find out (yes, when, not if, I think it's gonna happen). The film was so convenient for him, he can keep up appearence and save his brother at the same time. 

Get me a scenario more convincing and I'll recoil in shame (ok, maybe not really). What could be a motive for a villain to advertise in this manner? 

Not sure about Moriarty in the shadows. He did appear at the Old Bailey for the crime of the century. Featured as a key witness in the exposure of Sherlock in the press. Was heavily linked in the media to Sherlocks death and subsequent resurrection  And central to the trial that cleared Sherlocks name and exposed Richard Brook as being Moriarty.  
As to why. Advertising. 

January 14, 2014 7:24 pm  #15

So the villain, Moran, Moriarty, the brother or an unknown one, makes a movie to tell the world he exists and is powerful.

Moriarty is positively insane so if it's him he might just be in a playful mood or something. 

Moran and the brother want revenge, so they would use it as bait for Sherlock. I still find this a strange tactic; it's hardly a secret where he lives and he'd only gone undercover for about four minutes. Dropping by Baker Street would probably be a bit more effective. 

The unknown one: that could be interesting. Whoever he is, he's basically challenging the powers that be and telling them: 'hello, I'm powerful and you can't catch me'. 

I read another theory that it was Sherlock who made it. Don't believe that for a second. I still can't shake the feeling that this was suspiciously convenient for Mycroft. 

January 14, 2014 8:44 pm  #16

I'm in favour of the twin brother theory too, as played by Andrew Scott. It would neatly explain how he was able to get Richard Brook's CV and actual DVDs and appearances and so on, if he had a twin brother he could pull favours from occasionally.

On the other hand, it would be just like Moftiss to throw a complete spanner in the works of all the Moriarty/Andrew Scott fans and go for the Mycroft theory.

However, seeing as we've now guessed or aired all the possible theories, we can rule all of them out and expect Moftiss to do something completely different! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

http://9.asset.soup.io/asset/1715/0057_6c7d.gif

January 14, 2014 8:48 pm  #17

They hardly decided Sherlock's fate immediatly...there was certainly some time between christmas and Sherlock being send away. (I wonder when the FF-writer realize this and start to write prison-fics - though he was most likely held at a secret location and not a regular prison). So if you plan revenge and Sherlock suddenly drops from the face of the earth, and you have some connection and learns what is planned - well, than this would be a good move to get Sherlock back at a known location.

January 14, 2014 8:49 pm  #18

I don't like the twin brother theory for various reasons...and concerning the footage of him "it is all on DVD"

January 14, 2014 8:56 pm  #19

Oh, I'm an Andrew fan, he's gorgeous! And an amazing actor. I just can't seem to make the Moriarty storyline work in my head. I like the twin theory but then why such a silly animation if you can film a proper message? 

January 15, 2014 11:27 am  #20

I also thought his performance as Moriarty was great - but nevertheless, I would prefer a fresh villain. And the twin idea - it's just so soap-opera like. It would be very hard to sell this one to me.

Board footera