BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 11:53 am  #1

The missing months

I just wondered: Sherlock put John's chair back.
Months later around Christmas, he and Mary have barely spoken with each other.
Does that mean that inbetween he went back to baker street until he sorted his feeling out? Or did he live with Mary, but didn't talk to her at all?

January 13, 2014 11:55 am  #2

Re: The missing months

Yes I also had the impression that John had moved back to Baker Street. And I really hoped he stayed there, but it doesn't seem like that http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/errr.png

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 12:14 pm  #3

I was wondering about that too. Also about how the invitation to the 'rents' house came about, like - did Sherlock say to John ' Oh do you want to invite Mary so maybe you can work things out’?

I am torn between thinking John would have moved back in, and thinking that he would have lived with Mary but barely speaking to her while he worked things out.

I didn’t like her cheek when he asked her to talk and she said ‘Oh, we are talking now?’ , I mean…does she really have any rights to even be annoyed with him????

So wrong.

January 13, 2014 12:16 pm  #4

Don't forget, she's pregnant and therefore in some kind of an emotional state.

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 12:18 pm  #5

I think John was in Baker Street flat as well.can´t imagine him living with Mary and don´t speak a word. and maybe they tried to reunite because of Christmas and agreed to visit the parents of Sherlock and Mycroft, hoping that between other people the communication would be better.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 13, 2014 12:59 pm  #6

Marva wrote:

yes, but come on, that can't be the excuse for everything. Not in this situation - don't forget she didn't just nearly kill John's best friend, she lied to John for the whole time they knew each other.

January 13, 2014 1:24 pm  #7

Well, her cheekiness is one of the traits that both John and Sherlock like her for. 

Just saying.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg

January 13, 2014 1:31 pm  #8

there is cheekiness; and then there is cheekiness. Seriously.

January 13, 2014 1:41 pm  #9

Sometime people use cheekyness the cover that they are nervous.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 13, 2014 1:44 pm  #10

Criosdan wrote:

That's exactly what I got out of that scene.

January 13, 2014 1:45 pm  #11

I didn't mind...she must have been very much on the edge. after all, she trusted John with her deepest secrets, and expects him to see her different now.

January 13, 2014 1:54 pm  #12

Criosdan wrote:

I agree.  

January 13, 2014 2:17 pm  #13

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

yes, but come on, that can't be the excuse for everything. Not in this situation - don't forget she didn't just nearly kill John's best friend, she lied to John for the whole time they knew each other.

I think you can´t judge any of them with your personal view of everyday life. These people are different, they are living in an extraordinary world, they all are addicted to something in dangerous ways, they  have social problems, all of them are even murderers (for whatever reason, but they are). That´s what they say about themselves. We like them to bits because they are on the side of the angels . But they are not ordinary, so we can´t use our normal moral compass. That doesn´t work. But the characterizations are not arbitrary though, they work in their inner logic.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 13, 2014 2:18 pm)

January 13, 2014 3:02 pm  #14

anjaH_alias wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

I think you can´t judge any of them with your personal view of everyday life. These people are different, they are living in an extraordinary world, they all are addicted to something in dangerous ways, they  have social problems, all of them are even murderers (for whatever reason, but they are). That´s what they say about themselves. We like them to bits because they are on the side of the angels . But they are not ordinary, so we can´t use our normal moral compass. That doesn´t work. But the characterizations are not arbitrary though, they work in their inner logic.

yes, you are right. Ignore me, that remark was just me being emotional and ROYALLY PISSED at Mary

January 13, 2014 3:05 pm  #15

anjaH_alias wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

Interesting perspective, and one I agree with. 

-------------------------------------------------------
http://24.media.tumblr.com/1c91c2c3340cd40c775b387f6e2cea1b/tumblr_n2t4wkEfEM1runv2po3_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/2969a9941dc95712a4138c3e33c2105a/tumblr_n2t4wkEfEM1runv2po1_250.gifhttp://31.media.tumblr.com/c5f69407b75c1f4d396b661521df36e9/tumblr_n2t4wkEfEM1runv2po6_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/5f2ad6f34eb52cb5d1644803f0a3ef86/tumblr_n2t4wkEfEM1runv2po2_250.gif

January 13, 2014 3:26 pm  #16

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Funnywise my first reaction was after watching HLV: Wow. That´s not..... American, That´s not political correct. And I love it.
The Americans here might forgive me, please, I was really looking for a suitable adjective yesterday night and this was the only one coming to my mind . As excuse I have to say I had some prosecco in me already.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 13, 2014 3:27 pm)

January 13, 2014 3:29 pm  #17

anjaH_alias wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

Funnywise my first reaction was after watching HLV: Wow. That´s not..... American, That´s not political correct. And I love it.
The Americans here might forgive me, please, I was really looking for a suitable adjective yesterday night and this was the only one coming to my mind .

As an American I can say I see where you are coming from and also love it!

January 13, 2014 3:30 pm  #18

Weirdness wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

The Americans here might forgive me, please, I was really looking for a suitable adjective yesterday night and this was the only one coming to my mind .

As an American I can say I see where you are coming from and also love it!

Thanks, I am feeling better now . And tbh I could have said also: this is not German - we have such a lot of moral crap here on telly.

February 4, 2014 9:57 pm  #19

John and Mary were also working together. I can imagine them living together and not speking, it is not so rare, but working and not speaking? Or they might just talk strictly professionally.

February 4, 2014 10:21 pm  #20

I think what makes it so comelling is that we *do* view it through our moral compasses, our idea what is normal-- that's one important element of a fantasy world-- because it's so different from our own. 

Board footera