BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2014 3:49 am  #1

I wish you weren't.........

Okay... After one week, this is still bugging me so....

At the end of the episode, when Janine is impressed by Sherlock's pirouette or whatever you call it, she says:

"I wish you weren't................ whatever it is you are."

And Sherlock replies "I know."

Of course, when I heard her say "I wish you weren't....", my Johnlock heart screamed "Deeply in love with John" but erm, I guess this is not what she was implying... (though I find it funny that John walks in at that precise moment)

So what exactly does she imply?

I mean, she looks interested in him, and I just can't see what could discourage her from trying her luck... (she doesn't know him so she's not supposed to know he's never had a girlfriend and considers himself married to his work and therefore doesn't care about relationships). He's been really nice to her (if he had acted with her the way he acted with Molly in ASIP, I would understand... and I would complete her sentence by something like "such an asshole!"), let her know he found her pretty (he looks at her when he says "unaware of the beautiful" in his speech), danced with her, impressed her by his deductions...

She's basically seen the best of Sherlock (except maybe when he looks a bit mad, slapping himself to get Mycroft out of his head or things like that, but well...) and yet there's apparently something that makes her think "Don't try your chance with that man."

What is it? What's the end of her sentence supposed to be?

Just like old times...

January 12, 2014 4:06 am  #2

Re: I wish you weren't.........

If she's close enough to Mary to be the Maid of Honor, she's more than likely heard a great deal about Sherlock, good and bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 12, 2014 4:23 am  #3

Punch me in the face wrote:

Okay... After one week, this is still bugging me so....

At the end of the episode, when Janine is impressed by Sherlock's pirouette or whatever you call it, she says:

"I wish you weren't................ whatever it is you are."

And Sherlock replies "I know."

Yeah, that's bothered me, too, as I can't figure out what is actually meant by that phrase.  Tonnaree, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 12, 2014 4:26 am  #4

I thought it was pretty obvious that Jeanine was attracted to him, but realized that it would never work out as he is obviously not boyfriend-material.  Here's the better question: Was Sherlock being sincere in his 'attraction' for her?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 12, 2014 9:57 am  #5

Have been thinking a lot about this, too.

My result so far:

"I wish you weren't................ whatever it is you are. But surely not the right person for me./for a relationship."
I think she may have no special idea, just a kind of feeling that a relationship with him is not possible/makes no sense.

Then again it is a bit early. If she really likes him - and he shows her he likes her! - she could give it a try, right? So why doesn't she?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2014 10:26 am  #6

'Whatever it is you are...' What about married to his work?

I'd like to see them become friends though. 

January 12, 2014 11:08 am  #7

I think it is just another example for how gorgeously ambiguous the show is. Everyboby can interpret it in a way that fits their likes. It could  mean "I wish you weren't in love with John / Molly / Irene / Lestrade / asexual / married to your work / ..."

We will never know, and isn't that lovely?

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 12, 2014 11:09 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2014 11:17 am  #8

Schmiezi wrote:

I think it is just another example for how gorgeously ambiguous the show is. Everyboby can interpret it in a way that fits their likes. It could  mean "I wish you weren't in love with John / Molly / Irene / Lestrade / asexual / married to your work / ..."

I agree with this. I love that the show is about possibilities and so much is left unsaid. TBH that's very consistent with the canon.

I also have a leftfield hope, that I am 99% sure isn't going to come true, that Janine will actually have some part to play in His Last Vow and that this line will become sigificant. I did like her character. And I also thought she was quite an odd character, no background, scarcely interacting with Mary, etc. I would love the whiplash from discovering she was actually a spy or a plant or something. And it would tie into the whole "Sherlock knows a lot more about Mary than he has revealed" thing.

Last edited by beekeeper (January 12, 2014 11:19 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 12, 2014 11:45 am  #9

I liked their interaction because it shows that Sherlock is capable of being normal. Same as with Mrs Hudson. He just doesn't do it a lot. 

January 12, 2014 12:14 pm  #10

"I wish you wouldn´t be.....gay...."
Obviously :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

January 12, 2014 12:16 pm  #11

beekeeper wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

I agree with this. I love that the show is about possibilities and so much is left unsaid. TBH that's very consistent with the canon.

I also have a leftfield hope, that I am 99% sure isn't going to come true, that Janine will actually have some part to play in His Last Vow and that this line will become sigificant. I did like her character. And I also thought she was quite an odd character, no background, scarcely interacting with Mary, etc. I would love the whiplash from discovering she was actually a spy or a plant or something. And it would tie into the whole "Sherlock knows a lot more about Mary than he has revealed" thing.

Interesting.

I really don't think Sherlock was attracted to her, or cared about her. I think, in TSoT, she was part of his 'how to be the best - best man' plan -  which included dancing with the bridesmaid and being decent to her - and to everybody else (although I guess he manages only partially). He only gets upset at the end because he wanted to dance - and from what he told her when they were rehearsing he expected to dance with her - but not because he wanted her in particular.

As for the 'whatever you are' - I didn't consider she could be meaning he 'loved' John (in whichever way) and therefore there is no room for feelings for somebody else on the same level - and how nice and 'romantic' this idea is, I like to have it as an option.

January 12, 2014 2:04 pm  #12

I seeJanine as a very hip, urban woman who knows how to flirt with the best of them.  I also think she can read men better than she lets on - especially when it comes to having gaydar.  As a Johnlocker, my first thought was that she was about to say "gay" because she can sense Sherlock's attraction to John.  But even if that wasn't the word she was going to use, she's smart enough to know that emotionally Sherlock is unavailable to her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 12, 2014 3:13 pm  #13

KeepersPrice wrote:

I seeJanine as a very hip, urban woman who knows how to flirt with the best of them. I also think she can read men better than she lets on - especially when it comes to having gaydar. As a Johnlocker, my first thought was that she was about to say "gay" because she can sense Sherlock's attraction to John. But even if that wasn't the word she was going to use, she's smart enough to know that emotionally Sherlock is unavailable to her.

Yea.  This is totally my headcanon.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 12, 2014 4:19 pm  #14

KeepersPrice wrote:

I seeJanine as a very hip, urban woman who knows how to flirt with the best of them. I also think she can read men better than she lets on - especially when it comes to having gaydar. As a Johnlocker, my first thought was that she was about to say "gay" because she can sense Sherlock's attraction to John. But even if that wasn't the word she was going to use, she's smart enough to know that emotionally Sherlock is unavailable to her.

Can she, though.....?

January 12, 2014 5:22 pm  #15

I took it to mean that she accepted he was unavailable for whatever reason. The issue for her was that he was unavailable; not the why.

January 12, 2014 10:39 pm  #16

Ozma wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Can she, though.....?

Ah ha, Ozma!  Now I know what you're cryptic little comment meant.  I nearly had a heart attack when she walked out of his room!
But I should have known it was not what it looked like.  I did read the ACD story where Holmes gets engaged.  It just took me awhile to remember it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2014 10:56 pm  #17

I think Mofftiss are brilliant. Trolling us as usual - but making sure we know that nothing has actually changed for Sherlock.

January 12, 2014 10:58 pm  #18

I did wonder for just a moment if they'd actually had sex.  Then she made her "just once would've been nice" comment and I was relieved!  I"m a bad person.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 12, 2014 11:06 pm  #19

I'm the same, don't worry. I didn't like to think of him having sex. hehe.

January 12, 2014 11:38 pm  #20

Ozma wrote:

I'm the same, don't worry. I didn't like to think of him having sex. hehe.

Yeah, I was feeling a bit yucky about it myself for while there.  I just kept saying over and over to myself, "It can't be! It can't be!". I did enjoy John's reaction though.  Sherlock's telling him about their worst arch villain yet and all John can say is, "You've got a girlfriend?"  Very funny.  These guys are the best at juxtaposition for surprise and humour!

Board footera