BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2014 10:04 pm  #1

How many laptops does one man need?

Has he not heard of multiple browsers?? Why does he need like...8 laptops or however many it was to talk to all those different girls in the chat room?

I know it's visually pleasing on screen to see all the laptops spread out all over the table but...in reality...WHY?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 10, 2014 10:07 pm  #2

Re: How many laptops does one man need?

Because Sherlock is too lazy to deal with multiple window!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2014 10:11 pm  #3

I have no idea. First I thought it was just a symbol for the open tabs but then he snapped back into reality and there they stood. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 10, 2014 11:36 pm  #4

And now he hasn't even got John's laptop when he wants to look at naked women.

January 10, 2014 11:55 pm  #5

so do you think he has like 20 laptops in his flat?

Or does he just call Mycroft and says, 'Mike! Fetch me 20 latopts so I can investigate, quick!'

January 11, 2014 12:07 am  #6

Yeah that was rather implausible. But that's the joy of creating a television show I guess. Not everything has to be 100% realistic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 11, 2014 12:33 am  #7

Sherlock lives alone now. John is not there to fetch things anymore. Sherlock needs several laptops in every room because he's so lazy.

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (January 11, 2014 12:34 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 11, 2014 12:36 am  #8

Because he's Sherlock.

I think that's all the information one needs XD

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 11, 2014 1:25 am  #9

"Loaners" from his homeless network?

January 11, 2014 1:30 am  #10

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Sherlock lives alone now. John is not there to fetch things anymore. Sherlock needs several laptops in every room because he's so lazy.

we will need to fix that now then, won't we...

January 11, 2014 1:58 am  #11

Swanpride wrote:

I guess he originally did it in order to filter as many people as possible...after all, he started out with a room full of potential victims and had to sort out the ones which he had to pay attention to.

Oh, sheesh!  It's only after reading this comment that I now realize that Sherlock wasn't actually physically in the same room with all those women when talking to them!    I did kind of wonder why he was having a chat session with them later on... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 11, 2014 2:04 am  #12

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I guess he originally did it in order to filter as many people as possible...after all, he started out with a room full of potential victims and had to sort out the ones which he had to pay attention to.

Oh, sheesh!  It's only after reading this comment that I now realize that Sherlock wasn't actually physically in the same room with all those women when talking to them!    I did kind of wonder why he was having a chat session with them later on... 

really?? lool! did you think he actually went into a courtroom with a bunch of random women, with Mycroft appearing mysteriously behind him?

lol

January 11, 2014 3:17 am  #13

Well...kinda, yeah... 

I thought he'd done his due diligence and found all these other women who could have something to do with the situation, but he needed to see them in person to "read" them and disqualify them.  So he talked to the remaining women face-to-face and then chatted with them later on as a follow-up.  Talking to Mycroft--no, I did think that was in his head.  But the whole scenario seemed a little weird...!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 11, 2014 11:35 am  #14

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Well...kinda, yeah... 

I thought he'd done his due diligence and found all these other women who could have something to do with the situation, but he needed to see them in person to "read" them and disqualify them.  So he talked to the remaining women face-to-face and then chatted with them later on as a follow-up.  Talking to Mycroft--no, I did think that was in his head.  But the whole scenario seemed a little weird...!

I see. I thought that scene was so beautifully done. The Benedict was hyptonising me with his chant of 'Not you, not you, not you, not you...."

January 11, 2014 11:54 am  #15

Ozma wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Well...kinda, yeah... 

I see. I thought that scene was so beautifully done. The Benedict was hyptonising me with his chant of 'Not you, not you, not you, not you...."

It was beautifully done indeed, but it also took me a moment to orientate myself.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 11, 2014 11:56 am  #16

I think the part that gives away that it's a chat is that Sherlock "pauses" a woman mid-talk.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 11, 2014 1:17 pm  #17

Ozma wrote:

so do you think he has like 20 laptops in his flat?

Or does he just call Mycroft and says, 'Mike! Fetch me 20 latopts so I can investigate, quick!'

Mike!! LOL. I think Sherlock would only call him Mike if he were really angry. 

January 11, 2014 1:18 pm  #18

Just a new way of visualizing his mind palace. 

Slightly off tangent I read an old article by Gatiss where he was saying he consulted Derren Brown when he came up with the idea of using mind palaces.

January 19, 2014 3:27 pm  #19

This confused me as well.
Also in the Empty Hearse, they watch the video of the security footage on a samsung laptop and then video chat with that train guy with a Mac...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 19, 2014 3:34 pm  #20

Maybe he wanted different IP addresses for each chat session. That would be hard to do with just one laptop without serious hacker skills, but with separate laptops you can install IP masking software on each of them and pick a different IP for every one.

Board footera