BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 1:00 am  #1

Why did Sherlock leave the wedding early, looking so sad and dejected?

Emerging triumphantly from the challenge of being best man and solving a murder plot at the same time, why did Sherlock leave the wedding so abruptly?

I had to watch the episode three times before I suddenly got the simple and obvious clue as to the one huge disappointment Sherlock suffered, and how this triggered his sudden discomfort caused by standing in the middle of a room filled with happy, socially successful people.

But I don't want to answer my own question, so I'll leave this dilemma to you folks.

Last edited by Bruce Cook (January 8, 2014 1:01 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 8, 2014 1:05 am  #2

Re: Why did Sherlock leave the wedding early, looking so sad and dejected?

Urgent message to the site admins: why does the word Wrong! appear under my user name.  I'm new hear and I can't figure out why this rather disturbing comment is appearing on my post.  Help, please.

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 8, 2014 1:09 am  #3

Bruce Cook wrote:

Urgent message to the site admins: why does the word Wrong! appear under my user name.  I'm new hear and I can't figure out why this rather disturbing comment is appearing on my post.  Help, please.

You are given 'statuses' according to how many times you have posted.  "Wrong!" is the first tier, like when Sherlock texted "Wrong!" in the very beginning of Study in Pink.  Mine is "High Functioning Sociopath"...they aren't warnings of any sort, they change as you post more things.

Anyway, back OT, he leaves early because he realizes he's superfluous now.  John and Mary won't have time for him with a baby around, and John will have new priorities.  He doesn't really 'fit in' with the crowd, so he leaves to be alone.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 8, 2014 1:11 am  #4

"Wrong!" is the first level member titles (there's a whole thread about them here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=696). It's not an assessment of you

As for why he left early I thought that was rather obvious. Having done what was needed he found himself no longer needed by anyone, the woman who knew he loved to dance was dancing with someone else, John & Mary had each other. No-one needed him and he was feeling very lonely. Plus the sudden realisation, I think, of just how much on the 'outside' of John&Mary he really was hit him about then. And that he didn't really 'fit' in with the crowd of people either.

I also think his line "You won't need me around anymore now that you have a real baby on the way" is indicative of his feelings just then. John has just married and has a baby on the way. Where does Sherlock fit into that kind of life?

So he left. 

Last edited by Wholocked (January 8, 2014 1:13 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 8, 2014 1:25 am  #5

I thought he left early so that he could break the hearts of every viewer just that little but more.

'So sad'. As Mrs Hudson would say.

January 8, 2014 1:37 am  #6

Hel left to meet me in the back of our limo.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2014 1:44 am  #7

Moved this to The Sign of Three forum...trying to keep season 3 spoiler threads in the season 3 forums as much as possible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 8, 2014 2:08 am  #8

Wholocked wrote:

"Wrong!" is the first level member titles (there's a whole thread about them here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=696). It's not an assessment of you

As for why he left early I thought that was rather obvious. Having done what was needed he found himself no longer needed by anyone, the woman who knew he loved to dance was dancing with someone else, John & Mary had each other. No-one needed him and he was feeling very lonely. Plus the sudden realisation, I think, of just how much on the 'outside' of John&Mary he really was hit him about then. And that he didn't really 'fit' in with the crowd of people either.

I also think his line "You won't need me around anymore now that you have a real baby on the way" is indicative of his feelings just then. John has just married and has a baby on the way. Where does Sherlock fit into that kind of life?

So he left.

^ This... 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 8, 2014 3:48 am  #9

I think he was also dissapointed that after making everyone else happy, he was alone. He helped the bridesmaid (who was actually quite nice to him!) and put a lot of energy into making it a special day for John/Mary, and was even polite to Tom. But really, his entire role at the wedding was to be "useful". When that was done, no one had any time for him - except for Molly who noticed but didn't do anything, unfortunatley. 

January 8, 2014 5:01 am  #10

Wholocked wrote:

I also think his line "You won't need me around anymore now that you have a real baby on the way" is indicative of his feelings just then. John has just married and has a baby on the way.

So he left. 

And then the episode is called "The Sign of Three", not "The Sign of Four", after all...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 8, 2014 8:40 am  #11

Did we already mention that Sherlock throws the bouquet to Jeanine who was meant to dance with him and left him standing alone on the dance floor later on? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 9:01 am  #12

Oh God Yes.  :-(

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 8, 2014 9:16 am  #13

That all is so sad... and true. Poor Sherlock. I think the only one who would recognise and would do something about it, would have been John... if he wasn't distracted and busy with other matters.
I wonder if we will see any major consequences in their relationship in HLV. Well... could cry again.

Last edited by gently69 (January 8, 2014 9:16 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 9:27 am  #14

SusiGo wrote:

Did we already mention that Sherlock throws the bouquet to Jeanine who was meant to dance with him and left him standing alone on the dance floor later on? 

No, I think we didn't, and I was wondering: Is there some 'official meaning' to this, is this a wedding tradition or something...? Or was it just... Sherlock being utterly sweet?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 8, 2014 11:46 am  #15

It wasn't the bouquet though, it was his ...whatever it's called. Buttonhole! Yes, that.

January 8, 2014 3:08 pm  #16

It's called a 'boutonniere'. In a traditional wedding when the bride throws her bouquet (without looking) to all the gathered single women, the one who catches it is supposed to be the next to get married.  In this case, Sherlock knew the Maid of Honour was "looking" so I think it was a whimsical gesture on his part to throw to her. But I could go "deeper" in meaning about giving your 'flower' away - but not here at work 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 8, 2014 3:30 pm  #17

You could explain this in detail after you come home, KP. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 3:42 pm  #18

Exactly!

And poor Sherlock when the photographer says "only the bride and the groom" and Sherlock stays there, not having a clue, as if it was also HIS wedding.

Just like old times...

January 8, 2014 4:12 pm  #19

I've just seen on Louise 'Molly' Breakley's twitter that people have been giving her grief for the fact that Molly didn't run after heartbroken Sherlock at the end of the episode.

She said in one of her replies that Molly had to stay and dance with her fiance to make up for the fork attack. Love her.

January 8, 2014 7:11 pm  #20

But yes, he was playing John´s and Mary´s waltz and they were dancing to it.

Board footera