BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2014 11:40 am  #16

Re: Red Beard Clue

As to why Mycroft says that to Sherlock, no idea. Sherlock says something along the lines of 'I'm not a child anymore'. Maybe he got attached to a toy with that name and it was taken away from him and Mycroft warns him that the same is gonna happen, but now for real? I don't think it's a plot clue. 

January 7, 2014 11:41 am  #17

oh, I think it very much is, otherwise Gatiss wouldn't have tweeted it.

January 7, 2014 11:43 am  #18

ozma. lol! Maybe CAM holds that minifigure hostage and blackmails Sherlock. He sure had a lot of creepy toys in his room... and a clown mask to boot...

January 7, 2014 11:52 am  #19

yes. And this explains why Sherlock is so mad at him.

When Sherlock gets into one of his moods, it's because he thinks of his toy.

trollooolol

January 7, 2014 12:00 pm  #20

Barbarossa is also the code name for germany's invasion of the Soviet Union during WWII.

January 7, 2014 12:01 pm  #21

What intrigues me is that when Mycroft mentions Redbeard Sherlock doesn't get annoyed, he gets visibly upset. It might be something small-ish like a toy but it certainly left a mark on him. 

January 7, 2014 12:11 pm  #22

My brilliant Red Beard minifigure theory was just shooting the breeze, since work is 'boring' atm. But in TRF John talks to Mycroft about Sherlock supposedly having smurfs or action men and how that could've caused bad blood or traumata between the brothers. Now, CAM had a room full of broken toys. Could he be someone from Sherlock's childhood, maybe just peripheral, like Moriarty?  CAM might have started to collect things about people quite early, as Moriarty started his villain carreer early, too.
#justanotheroddtheory

Last edited by sherlocked (January 7, 2014 12:14 pm)

January 7, 2014 12:25 pm  #23

Mrs. Watson, kids can get very upset, if something happens to their favorite toys. I told on the other thread (So3 theories), how my son reacted, when his Batman figure fell into a lake. Maybe somthing happened to a toy of Sherlock, and he couldn't explain it. It remained an unsolved mystery. That would be doubly traumatic for young Sherlock. And it would explain, why he is still upset. Not, because of a toy, but because he couldn't solve something. And this room of broken toys of CAM's WAS creepy.
#still anotheroddtheory

Last edited by sherlocked (January 7, 2014 12:28 pm)

January 7, 2014 12:37 pm  #24

Arrrrrrgh...I just realized something...I think they successfully mislead us....Think about it:

"Do you remember Red Beard?"
"I am not a child anymore, Mycroft!"

NOTHING in this says that Red Beard is in ANY way connected to Sherlock's childhood. Red Beard can simply be the name of one of Mycroft secret operation (involving CAM?), and Sherlock feels annoyed that Mycroft feels the need to remind him of the fact that said operation is going on. "Don't patronize me, I am not a child anymore!"

January 7, 2014 12:50 pm  #25

You could well be right, swanpride. At the moment we are just running away with theories. But the way it was said and had something to do with not getting too attached to people or things, leads me to believe, it has something to do with Sherlock's childhood.

January 7, 2014 1:02 pm  #26

Could it be that Mycroft codenamed CAM "Redbeard" in reference to how he pirates and loots and pillages blackmail information? As well as his beard? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/shocked.png

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/devious.gif

The clue that everyone missed?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6dc8e291b4cf352fceb1d34759d3de63/tumblr_mmrgjhabnZ1rvzxbzo6_500.gif

January 7, 2014 1:04 pm  #27

If we consider Barbe-Rouge story, we could even imagine Mary is CAM's adoptive daughter living under a fake identity because unlike him (and like Eric Lerouge), she wants to live a honest life, and not a "pirate" (baddie). (yet I'm sure the Holmes would know about that and again, I can't really imagine Sherlock leaving John marry Mary with that knowledge. Unless it's part of a plan: Sherlock may think he'd get to CAM more easily pretending he doesn't know about this, and sure he will be able to free Mary from CAM, hence his vow to protect her and John... A mistake??)

Also, I find it interesting that he calls her "poppet":

"~~The word poppet is an older spelling of puppet, from the Middle English popet, meaning a small child or doll." (wikipedia)

Puppet, huh? Is it to remind Mary, on her wedding's day, that she's just a puppet for him and that she can do whatever she wants to escape him (getting married, trying to live a normal life), he's still the one pulling the strings, and he can do what he want of her... and of John???

Just like old times...

http://i.imgur.com/lEZJjZh.jpg?1

January 7, 2014 1:07 pm  #28

Oh, I hadn't seen this part in the definition of "poppet":

"~~In folk-magic and witchcraft, a poppet, also known as Poppits, Moppets, Mommets and Pippies is a doll made to represent a person, for casting spells on that person or to aid that person through magic. They are occasionally found lodged in chimneys.[2] These dolls may be fashioned from such materials as a carved root, grain or corn shafts, a fruit, paper, wax, a potato, clay, branches, or cloth stuffed with herbs with the intent that any actions performed upon the effigy will be transferred to the subject based on sympathetic magic. It was from these European dolls that the myth of Voodoo dolls arose.[2][3] Poppets are also used as kitchen witch figures."

Ahem... Voodoo dolls now...

Just like old times...

January 7, 2014 1:13 pm  #29

I think redbeard is a metaphor that is tied to a painful childhood memory, maybe losing the toy or having it destroyed, something like that. It's Mycroft saying to Sherlock: 'don't get attached to people you'll only get hurt'. He's been saying that to Sherlock for two seasons now. He wants to protect him. Sherlock's remark 'Can't handle a broken heart, how very telling' could also be a reference. Maybe Mycroft got hurt too in the past and he doesn't want the same to happen to his brother.

(In my headcanon, Mycroft had a husband who was killed and Mycroft swore never to fall in love again, but that's probably not how they're gonna play it.)

Mark tweeting Redbeard: is he tweeting as Mycroft? Maybe he hints to us, don't get too attached to Mary. Something's gonna happen to her. 

January 7, 2014 1:19 pm  #30

Yeah, could be something like a teddy bear named like that simply because Sherlock liked pirates, and he lost it or whatever while he was attached to it.

I like your headcanon idea (well, surely because it reminds me of myself: my husband killed himself a year and a half ago and I swore never to fall in love again and I am as lonely as Mycroft, except i've got my little boy)

And yeah, Mark could just telling us not to get "involved" as well, not to get attached to Mary.

Just like old times...

Board footera