BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



January 7, 2014 7:44 am  #1


Red Beard Clue

I think the Red Beard discussion with Mycroft might be worth it's own thread for discussion:  There is this found by Wholocked
https://31.media.tumblr.com/77fd0318c1f387b0c3d366123cd79ccc/tumblr_mz0b9hOGkD1qevqqyo1_500.jpg

Plus the fact  he got Sherlock back on the phone just to mention it.  I think it is some sort of code from Mycroft letting Sherlock know that he needs to not let his emotions cloud his judgement.  Other ideas?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"
 

January 7, 2014 8:03 am  #2


Re: Red Beard Clue

I just found this on tumblr. Quite intriguing:

http://221books.tumblr.com/post/72491438657/conspiracy-theory-of-the-day


------------------------------

“I mean, we can formulate and explain things in scientific terms but it doesn’t take any of the magic away;
revealing the work, or the mechanism behind the beauty doesn’t destroy the beauty.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)


Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. And I'm also a great believer in
treating others as you would like to be treated. (Benedict Cumberbatch)


http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/TIG/534562b4-ac92-4d4a-a673-dd8a73c67655_zps9c021a04.png http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/2db8465a-9bcd-4b12-8659-23685990fd00_zps6ac94adf.jpg
 

January 7, 2014 8:17 am  #3


Re: Red Beard Clue

Great theory!  Thanks SusiGo


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"
     Thread Starter
 

January 7, 2014 8:27 am  #4


Re: Red Beard Clue

Interesting theory.
And Redbeard definitely has to mean something, I guess we all can agree on that.
I just wonder: If Mary is really hiding something, if she has taken on a false identity... why does Sherlock not deduce this? Maybe because he's already too involved, maybe because he has been too involved the first moment he met her? And that in combination with the fact that he doesn't seem to be his old self when it comes to his ability to deduce things... hm. Interesting.


___________________________________________________
"And John will cry buckets and buckets. It's him that I worry about the most. That wife! You're letting him down, Sherlock. John Watson is definitely in danger." (His Last Vow)

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcplrww/berlinsigneu4.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgo/berlinsigneu2.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgc/berlinsigneu3.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgw/berlinsigneu.jpg

Thank you very good much.
 

January 7, 2014 8:34 am  #5


Re: Red Beard Clue

yes, interesting. And Redbeard does have to mean something - especially after Gatiss's tweet!

But I keep thinking that, if the whole thing was so dangerous, and also so clear and known to Mycroft and Sherlock, why the heck would they not do anything about it?

To me, it seems Sherlock has overlooked things, and this is weird. Yes, he is involved, but he is Sherlock...and ultimately, he wants to make sure John is safe, and by overlooking things he is instead ensuring pain for him... weird.

 

January 7, 2014 9:55 am  #6


Re: Red Beard Clue

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville
 

January 7, 2014 10:01 am  #7


Re: Red Beard Clue

beekeeper wrote:

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.

 
This... Are there any screenshots from the first ep. when he deduces her? Maybe some hidden clues in there...

 

January 7, 2014 10:24 am  #8


Re: Red Beard Clue

b2s wrote:

beekeeper wrote:

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.

 
This... Are there any screenshots from the first ep. when he deduces her? Maybe some hidden clues in there...

I would say that there is nothing that indicates Sherlock has deduced more about Mary and keeps this from John. Why would he do that? Why would he allow his best friend to marry a woman who has secrets? Or... might that be part of a plan?


___________________________________________________
"And John will cry buckets and buckets. It's him that I worry about the most. That wife! You're letting him down, Sherlock. John Watson is definitely in danger." (His Last Vow)

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcplrww/berlinsigneu4.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgo/berlinsigneu2.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgc/berlinsigneu3.jpghttp://picload.org/image/lcpldgw/berlinsigneu.jpg

Thank you very good much.
 

January 7, 2014 10:33 am  #9


Re: Red Beard Clue

Well, there is the word "liar" popping up in his deductions about her. But to me his fondness of her seems quite convincing. 


------------------------------

“I mean, we can formulate and explain things in scientific terms but it doesn’t take any of the magic away;
revealing the work, or the mechanism behind the beauty doesn’t destroy the beauty.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)


Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. And I'm also a great believer in
treating others as you would like to be treated. (Benedict Cumberbatch)


http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/TIG/534562b4-ac92-4d4a-a673-dd8a73c67655_zps9c021a04.png http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/2db8465a-9bcd-4b12-8659-23685990fd00_zps6ac94adf.jpg
 

January 7, 2014 10:35 am  #10


Re: Red Beard Clue

SolarSystem wrote:

b2s wrote:

beekeeper wrote:

my hunch is that sherlock knows a lot more about mary than he is letting on. its not that he is failing to deduce its that he is either refusing to deduce or has deduced and is keeping stuff from John.

 
This... Are there any screenshots from the first ep. when he deduces her? Maybe some hidden clues in there...

I would say that there is nothing that indicates Sherlock has deduced more about Mary and keeps this from John. Why would he do that? Why would he allow his best friend to marry a woman who has secrets? Or... might that be part of a plan?

I agree that if he knew, he wouldn't just not tell him. John would perhaps get upset, perhaps even not want to listen to him, but he would try.

No. Sherlock has made a mistake...

 

January 7, 2014 11:18 am  #11


Re: Red Beard Clue

Redbeard. That's the only thing Mark tweeted? TROLOLOL.

I know that name though. In the 15th century or so, there was a famous pirate in the Midterranian sea called Barba Rossa, or Redbeard. That's where Pirates got the name Barbossa from. 

It's a pirate reference!

Never believed that knowledge would ever become useful. 

I don't have twitter, but if you do, can you tweet back Barba Rossa? 

 

January 7, 2014 11:22 am  #12


Re: Red Beard Clue

I'll tweet it now. And I am Italian, and Barbarossa is an Italian word. TROLOLOL indeed

edit: tweeted

Last edited by Ozma (January 7, 2014 11:23 am)

 

January 7, 2014 11:26 am  #13


Re: Red Beard Clue

Barbarossa is also the name of a German king....

 

January 7, 2014 11:36 am  #14


Re: Red Beard Clue

Red Beard is a Lego minifigure of a pirat. Since Mycroft talks about Sherlock's childhood, and we know, that Sherlock's original professional choice was the buccaneering business, I propose the bold theory, that something terrible happened to that minifigure 

 

January 7, 2014 11:38 am  #15


Re: Red Beard Clue

sherlocked wrote:

Red Beard is a Lego minifigure of a pirat. Since Mycroft talks about Sherlock's childhood, and we know, that Sherlock's original professional choice was the buccaneering business, I propose the bold theory, that something terrible happened to that minifigure

Maybe Cam stole it from him and threw it into a lake, and Sherlock never forgave himself for not having been able to save it. And then he cried all the way through his teens.

Mycroft, rolling his eyes, resigned himself to having to look after and protect his little brother forever as he is now forever traumatised.

Last edited by Ozma (January 7, 2014 11:40 am)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost Free Forums