BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 10:37 pm  #1

CAM's wedding message to Mary

She didn't seem best pleased to hear from him. She obviously knows who he is and possibly what he is capable of. So...what's their history together? Anyone care to debate? We've got a week to make our deductions...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 11:28 pm  #2

Re: CAM's wedding message to Mary

CAM = Charles Augustus Magnussen.
I am really worried!!!

January 5, 2014 11:29 pm  #3

Instant recognition of the name/initials. She looked anxious, upset and thrown off kilter for a while. A hidden secret/weakness/past indiscretion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 5, 2014 11:59 pm  #4

Most people have got secrets, it's what makes us vulnerable.

I don't like the way Sherlock looked at Mary in the end. There is something evil coming.

Last edited by bohemian_rhapsody (January 6, 2014 12:00 am)

"Oh, please, killing me. That's so two years ago. ”

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage, Sherlock.

January 6, 2014 12:09 am  #5

The telegram made reference to her absent parents who she clearly lost as a child, and referred to her as Poppet. As an orphan I wonder if CAM had some guardianship or other control over her.

Last edited by dartmoordoggers (January 6, 2014 12:10 am)

January 6, 2014 12:23 am  #6

dartmoordoggers wrote:

The telegram made reference to her absent parents who she clearly lost as a child, and referred to her as Poppet. As an orphan I wonder if CAM had some guardianship or other control over her.

Tying in to Sherlock's "Guardian" deduction in Empty Hearse? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 6, 2014 1:28 am  #7

dartmoordoggers wrote:

I don't remember the show ever telling us that Mary's parent's were dead.

I thought maybe the absent parents message indicates that CAM is holding her parents hostage or maybe CAM knows she is the illegitimate child of someone powerful who wants to keep her existence secret.

John:  So you scratch their backs...
Sherlock:  Yes, and I disinfect myself.

January 6, 2014 1:29 am  #8

In one of the flashbacks Mary refers to herself as an orphan.  She says she has friends instead of family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 6, 2014 4:15 am  #9

Or perhaps he manipulated her as a orphaned child, got her out of a bad situation by using her to run something illegal in her youth.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 6, 2014 8:54 am  #10

From the books we know CAM is a blackmailer. And I believe to remember that Mary is an orphan there.
I already hate him.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 6, 2014 10:31 am  #11

I thought they were two separate telegrams. The one where she is refered to as "poppet" she seemed to be happy about, but then the CAM one she was upset over. I don't think those are both the same telegram.

/random aside

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 6, 2014 10:50 am  #12

I am really intrigued as to how this will all come together next Sunday, and I am also a bit terrified.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 6, 2014 10:58 am  #13

Wholocked wrote:

I thought they were two separate telegrams. The one where she is refered to as "poppet" she seemed to be happy about, but then the CAM one she was upset over. I don't think those are both the same telegram.

/random aside

I rewatched that scene a couple of times now, and it's hard to tell whether these two are different telegrams or not. First I thought you were right, but if the poppet one was separate, wouldn't there have been the name of who sent it at the end?

It's also interesting that Sherlock doesn't seem to recognize the abbreviation "CAM", but in the trailer for HLV he speaks about him with such hatred, like he's known about CAM's doing for ages... Guess there must be some time between episodes 2 and 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

January 6, 2014 11:29 am  #14

Of course, he might have been acting - you can't really be sure with Sherlock... But it's also very Sherlockian that he got bored very quickly by all those messages saying the same stuff and therefore abandoning the whole thing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

January 6, 2014 11:51 am  #15

I watched the subtitles and these seem to be two different messages. IMO Poppet is not adressed to Mary, it is the signatory of the message. Then follows CAM's one-sentence message (in the subtitles they write Cam, not CAM).
This is also supported by Mary's face. She laughs at hearing "Poppet" and turns very serious the moment the name CAM/Cam is mentioned. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2014 12:47 pm  #16

Considering that Mary apparently does know CAM - the person who kidnapped John and tried to kill him - it almost seems like she could've known who sent her those text messages about John being in danger...? I mean, since they seem to know each other quite well, him knowing about her family and all. I like Mary but maybe she's, idk, in on the whole thing (for whatever reason)? And maybe she isn't actually pregnant but tried to make Sherlock believe she was by obviously behaving like it to make it a) seem like she's completely on their side and b) make it harder for Sherlock to go after her/maybe even kill her when he realises she's on the baddy's side, I mean, when he thinks she's carrying John's child he wouldn't just shoot her, would he? Just a theory.

January 6, 2014 1:30 pm  #17

Just a thought but I think, in the book, Mary's Father was Captain Arthur Morstan? Another CAM. So it may have been a nod to that and just coincidence that they're the same initials as the new baddie.

January 6, 2014 1:44 pm  #18

The_Gun_Flip wrote:

Just a thought but I think, in the book, Mary's Father was Captain Arthur Morstan? Another CAM. So it may have been a nod to that and just coincidence that they're the same initials as the new baddie.

But she's an orphan, isn't she? Wouldn't she have grown up in a children's home or something???

January 6, 2014 1:48 pm  #19

Hanka wrote:

The_Gun_Flip wrote:

But she's an orphan, isn't she? Wouldn't she have grown up in a children's home or something???

That would depend on when her parents died. But when I say a nod to it I don't mean that it's actually a telegram from her Father but that it's a reference that ACD fans might appreciate. The Sign of Four was about him.

January 6, 2014 5:22 pm  #20

Interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera