BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2013 10:47 am  #1

Secret Santa Stories 2013

Hey all,

from tomorrow on, the Secret Santa fics will be posted under this thread.

Please don't comment on this entry here, the thread should remain inactive till the first story is up.

Season's Greetings (#Sherlocklives)!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 1, 2013 10:03 am  #2

Re: Secret Santa Stories 2013

Happy Holidays, Amy1oMM (BrettianHolmesFan)! 

I hope I managed to do your wishes justice (except for Lestrade, whom I didn't include in the story). Enjoy!

Come Hell Or High Water

The call comes on a Tuesday evening in November. Sherlock has been fidgety all afternoon, pondering. He has just closed a case, but something about it is still bothering him. There are cracks in the ceiling of the living room which he usually ignores but which are also bothering him today, along with the London traffic ("too loud, stupid council") and the sunshine ("too bright, stupid weather") and he snaps at everything John says. Both of them are secretly relieved when Sherlock's phone rings- a momentary distraction, a respite. 

Sherlock takes the call with a flourish of his arm, swirling around where he stands. The graceful movement however  comes to an abrupt halt which nearly overbalances him, and then he freezes, tensing visibly as he listens to what is being said at the other end.

Possibilities race through John's mind- Mycroft and Moriarty being the most resounding ones. With a frown, John senses that he's in the wrong there, somehow- Sherlock isn't bristling, as he usually does with either of them. He looks- unreadable, really, but his face is chalk-white all of a sudden, and he is staring ahead blankly.

When he finally speaks (a feeble "thank you"), his voice is low and bare of its strength. He ends the call, then stares at phone as though he has never seen it before and can't decide whether it's of demonic origin. 

"Sherlock?" John prompts tentatively. 

The detective looks up at his friend, his expression confused and his eyes wide. Then he sags, legs threatening to give out under him. 

Moving quickly, unthinkingly, John closes the distance between them and supports him, as Sherlock doesn't seem in control of his limbs any longer. The phone falls to the floor with a clatter, but neither of them pay it any heed. John eases Sherlock onto the sofa and sits down next to him, keeping one hand on his shoulder because he looks as though he is going to keel over any second, and waits for him to say something.

Sherlock doesn't meet John's gaze when he finally does, but he sounds vaguely surprised: "Mycroft's dead."

There are situations in which reality seems to retreat, making way for a state of mind that is open to all kinds of strange thoughts, leaving one questioning whether one is actually awake or if one is merely caught in a bad dream. Which is how John feels while he's standing next to Sherlock on the boardwalk of the Albert Embankment, near Lambeth Pier. Silently, they are watching as a sleek, partially damaged black car is being pulled out of the water. There are too many lights and noise, all of it grating on John's nerves. He can only imagine how Sherlock is feeling right now. The detective is standing rigidly, frozen by the meaning of it all. And yet he has to see it, has to smell the river and feel the cold air because otherwise the phone call might just be a figment of his imagination, a mockery of his own hyperactive mind. 

The area is cordoned off, but there are onlookers around it, of course. The police are directing the traffic on the bridge. An officer has been talking to them earlier, and while John had done his best to listen, Sherlock seemed unable to take in even a single word. He had kept close to John and just waited for it to be over,  his eyes already on the water. 

Later, after the car has been secured and given a preliminary check, the officer comes to talk to them again. Sherlock remains as silent as before, though John notices how his jaw is tensing at the words he doesn't want to hear: no bodies found yet... due to high tide... strong current... doors open, one torn off... survival unlikely. 

Sherlock's gaze is drawn to the river again. He has questions, but for the life of him, he can't remember how to speak, how to raise his voice above the horrible, tearing sensation in his chest. It even keeps him from walking over to the wreck of the car and look at it more closely; for the life of him, he can't move a muscle. Mycroft is a pest and a bore, able to annoy Sherlock to no end within a millisecond after meeting him, someone whom Sherlock avoids when possible. And yet now, all he wants for Mycroft to be there, to be his condescending, confident self. He can hear his brother talking as though he were standing next to him: "Sentiment, Sherlock. All lives end, don't be so melodramatic." 

It's all he can do to keep his knees from buckling. 

His legs only do give out under him when they are back in Baker Street; a small mercy that there's no other witness than John. Twice in one day, an inner voice says sardonically when he finds himself on the floor, but Sherlock couldn't care less. He feels nauseous and the room is swaying until John's hands are there, his voice as calm and reassuring as usual: "It's okay, Sherlock. Take deep breaths." 

Hating his own weakness, Sherlock doesn't want to be coddled, and he has things to do. Things to find out.

"I need to-"

"No." John's hands are keeping him right there, on the floor. Sherlock doesn't know that he's still white as a sheet. His friend is taking his pulse while he is steadying him, providing a lifeline. 

Only when Sherlock's erratic heartbeat has returned to something akin to normal and he has stopped shaking (he wasn't even aware of it until John pointed it out), John allows him to get up. He never lets go of his friend, supporting him as he gets to his feet. 

"I can stand," Sherlock protests, his voice sounding hollow and far away to his own ears, but John doesn't release his hold on him. 

"Come on," he says, gently, and pulls Sherlock with him.

"Where are we going?"

"To your bedroom."

"Why? I don't want to lie down. Why did we come home at all?"

John wisely refrains from telling him that he's just had a major shock, even though he'll very likely not admit it. With a firm grip, the doctor steers Sherlock to his room and makes him sit on the bed, switching on only the lamp on the nightstand. 

He then begins to peel Sherlock out of his coat:"I'm going to make you some tea."

Sherlock immediately stands up again: "I don't want tea. I don't want anything. I want to see the car."

"No." John shakes his head. "You're not going anywhere right now, and you certainly won't have a look at the car."

Sherlock's whole body tenses: "I am and I will. You can't stop me. I should have looked at the car while we were there, it's a mistake I didn't. I need-" 

"The MI5 is probably on it already, Sherlock, they won't even let you get near it. And I'll tie you down if necessary."

Sherlock snorts; he makes to push past John, but the doctor is as stubborn as he is, and grips his arms with surprisingly strong fists: "Sherlock," he pleads, with a voice that does not at all match his stance, but betrays his concern for his friend. "Don't." 

Sherlock's gaze is fierce: "I just want to find out-"

"We will. In time."

The understanding and sadness in John's tone are nearly too much to bear. If John doesn't have any hope that maybe the police were wrong, that Mycroft could still be alive, there is no hope at all. And yet hope isn't the only thing that Sherlock has in mind. Everything else might still be fuzzy, but one fact is very clear: he wants revenge. He is certain that it hasn't been an accident which has forced Mycroft's car off the bridge, and he wants to know who, how and why. And once he has found that out, those who are responsible are going to regret it, he is going to make sure of that. 

These thoughts are not him, he is ever so dimly aware of that. They do feel good however; the burn they are providing in his heart are distracting him from the other emotion which is palpable, raw and terribly: loss. It is one thing to say my brother is a pain in the rear. It's a completely different thing to say my brother is dead. The thought however sticks, reeling around in his head until it feels empty, superseding his thirst for revenge for the time being and leaving him exhausted. 

After a few minutes of mute wrestling which slowly turns into petrified stillness, Sherlock visibly deflates. He doesn't protest as John presses him down on the bed once more, sitting down next to him in order to make sure he's calm now. 

"It doesn't make any sense," he says, after an unaccounted amount of time. His voice is not so far away any longer; John has been right to insist they go into Sherlock's room. There are less distractions in here, no phone, no laptop. It's helping him to focus.

"I know." John's voice is calm. 

The doctor waits for a while; when nothing else it forthcoming, he gets up: "I'll make that tea now."

Once his friend is out of the room, Sherlock closes his eyes, listening to the sounds from the kitchen. All of a sudden, he realizes just how tired he is; he feels like he's carrying leaden weights on his shoulders, has had to solve a thousand riddles only to discover that the very last one unlocks a thousand more. He slowly crawls further onto the bed where he curls up, his back to the door. His eyes soon fly open again; this isn't right, he is useless, he should be looking for clues right now, but all the energy he usually possesses seems to have vaporized, and his body feels too heavy altogether. He tries not to think of cold water and the inability to breathe; he concentrates on listening once more, staring into the semi-darkness of his room unseeingly. It's difficult, but it's better than seeing things in his mind.

There's a faint "yoohoo," in the hall, then he can hear Mrs Hudson and John talk with each other. Their lowered voices tell Sherlock what they are talking about; not long afterwards, he hears approaching footsteps, then there's a presence other than John's in the room. 

Mrs Hudson hesitates and, after half a minute of deliberating, tentatively sits down on the mattress. Sherlock doesn't acknowledge her, but he doesn't shrug off the hand which she puts on his shoulder either. 

She can feel that he's trembling and instinctively knows that he doesn't want to hear any words. So she stays silent, quietly keeping him company until John comes in with the tea.

Sherlock can barely taste it. He is distraught by how shaken the concept of Mycroft being dead is leaving him, how small and insignificant it makes him feel, rendering him helpless when he really should be looking for clues, anything to help find out who did this. He is actually grateful that John and Mrs Hudson are there, sitting on either side of him, each with a mug of tea in their hands.

Sherlock wonders if he has noticed before how small Mrs Hudson's hands actually are. Mycroft's hands always seemed big to him. As a little boy, he loved it when his brother hid behind those hands in order to suddenly spook him; later in their lives, they had become the hands of a stranger, just like the rest of the older Holmes boy. Eventually, Mycroft turned into someone Sherlock felt inferior to, a notion he didn't like at all. Around his brother, he usually felt his control slip away, which bothered him greatly. Had felt, he automatically corrects himself with a pang, had bothered. 

He laughs bitterly into his mug, causing John and Mrs Hudson to look at him: the doctor openly, the landlady tentatively, just a brief glance. 

"Even now," Sherlock mutters, aware that he probably sounds like a madman, but unable to stop himself: "Even now."

"Even now what, dear?" Mrs Hudson sounds almost timid.

"He's doing it," Sherlock spits, "he's making me lose control. Even in death, he can't just let me be!"

The look John and the old lady now share is one of alarm, and John gently puts his hand on Sherlock's arm: "You're having a completely normal reaction, Sherlock."

"No, I'm not." The detective's voice is acerbic: "Other people might react like this, but not me. Usual standards don't apply to me, in case you forgot. I don't have feelings, I don't break down because of something like this."

John once again holds his tongue, keeping himself from telling Sherlock that he is wrong, and that this is exactly the opposite. 

"Still, you should probably lie down," Mrs Hudson unexpectedly chimes in, "and try to sleep." 

John is amazed by the understanding in her voice. 

Predictably, Sherlock shakes his head at that, but at least he doesn't snap at her.

They stay where they are until long after midnight. 

Mrs Hudson eventually leaves to go to bed, and John can feel his own fatigue crawling up on him. He didn't exactly like Mycroft, which doesn't make the situation easier; he feels sorry for him, if more so for Sherlock, and his thoughts keep wandering back to the accident- he is determined to call it accident as long as there's no proof of the opposite. Of course he has thought of Moriarty already, but Sherlock didn't have any phone calls, text messages or letters or anything else really which could have been used as a means of gloating, so it doesn't seem to be related to their best enemy. The thought is relieving, somehow, and John immediately feels bad about it. There shouldn't be any relief, not when Sherlock looks like this, forlorn and shaken and not at all his usual self. 

He is silent and tense, sitting on the edge of his bed like a statue, still in his suit and with a blank face. 

At one point, John's eyes close on their own account. He jerks awake with a crick in his neck and feeling disoriented, though he hasn't dozed for longer than twenty minutes. 

Sherlock sits upright, listening intently. When John opens his mouth to ask what he's heard, the detective holds up his hand to prevent his friend from speaking, then slowly gets to his feet. He hasn't so much as touched the doorhandle when there's a scream from downstairs. In an instant, Sherlock and John are out of the room; the scream has come from Mrs Hudson, undoubtedly. 

Who nearly collides with them in the door to her flat; it is all that Sherlock, who has snapped out of his stupor for the time being, can do to grab her by her arms in order to steady her. Her eyes are wide and she is gasping (apparently not even caring that her dressing gown's not closed): "Sherlock! Kitchen!" at the same time that he and John are asking whether she's okay. There's a moment of confusion, and John makes to push past them in order to check whatever is going on, but then he freezes. There, in the dimly lit hall of Mrs Hudson's flat, stands Mycroft Holmes. 

For a moment, nobody moves or says anything. The stunned silence is only broken when Mrs Hudson begins to mewl: "Sherlock, you're hurting me." He hasn't noticed he is still holding her arms, and his grip has tightened considerably at the unexpected turn of events. He lets go now, never taking his gaze off his brother: "What happened?" he asks, his voice flat. 

Mycroft looks nothing like his normal self. His hair's dishevelled and he's wearing only a shirt, trousers and socks, a sight made slightly more absurd by the fact that he's still got his tie. It is torn in places however, just like the rest of his clothes, and he looks damp, if not soaking wet anymore. He is pale and shivering and John, to whom the older Holmes brother strangely looks less tall than usual, does remember he's a doctor at the sight and moves first, wordlessly taking an unresisting Mycroft by the arm and steering him back into the kitchen, where he can sit down. 

Briefly, John is struck by how much this resembles the situation earlier, but he can't dwell on that now; from this close, Mycroft looks even worse for wear, and he must be freezing. John goes to get a blanket while Mrs Hudson begins to make tea. Sherlock keeps his distance, regarding his brother with narrowed eyes: "What happened," he repeats. 

"You know what happened," Mycroft manages to sound aloof, despite appearances. However, he does seem relieved when John arrives with not one, but two blankets which he wraps around the sitting man. 

"It was such a shock," Mrs Hudson more or less babbles over the din of the electric kettle, "first we thought you were dead, and then you are suddenly trying to break into my kitchen. I thought I had heard something, could have been some cats, of course, but you never know.."

Mycroft looks vaguely apologetic: "I didn't mean to scare you," he says softly, "I simply wanted to avoid using the front door."

John's gaze immediately is drawn to the back door, which seems intact. 

Sherlock however has more questions: "How did you get out of the car?"

"When I realized what was going on, I took the precaution to roll down the window. Luckily, the impact on the water didn't render me immobile or worse, so I could get out immediately."

John, worried about the slight tremor in Mycroft's voice and the blood he's seen in his still damp hair when he brought the blankets, cuts in: "I think you'd best get warm before Sherlock continues his interrogation," he says firmly. "A shower and then you should lie down."

Mycroft subdues a smile; the doctor's stance and tone make it very clear that this isn't up for discussion, and frankly, he does feel numb with cold by now. A shower sounds heavenly, even if it means having to use the slightly shoddy facilities of 221B. 

"Come on, I'll find you a towel," John says, beckoning him to follow. 

Sherlock watches them go and turns towards the door as well, but then hesitates: "He doesn't take milk in his tea, only real cream," he tells Mrs Hudson. "If there's no cream available, he prefers it black. Two sugars."

With that, he leaves the kitchen. 

Half an hour later, Mycroft is sitting up in Sherlock's bed, covered with an additional blanket on top of the comforter, and cradling a mug of hot black tea in his hands. The shower has revived him somewhat, and Dr Watson, who has already taken care of the cut on Mycroft's head and made sure he wasn't injured otherwise, was adamant he should not stay on the sofa. 

Mycroft is wearing an old, long-sleeved shirt, a pair of pyjama pants and socks from Sherlock, who unfortunately doesn't possess any proper night attire of the kind Mummy would have approved of. 

While he waited for the water in the shower to heat up, Mycroft could hear his brother and Dr Watson through the door: "I don't have anything he can wear, he's too fat."

"Don't be ridiculous, Sherlock, he is not."

"He'll wear my things out."

"He won't, and besides, they already are quite worn."

"They are not."

"The shirts you're sleeping in are faded and frayed at the hems and whatnot. And that's totally beside the point. If you prefer a clothed Mycroft to a naked one, I suggest you stop being ridiculous and go find something for him to put on."

Silence followed, though Mycroft was convinced he could hear his brother sulk. A few moments later, Sherlock came in with a few things, which he put on the clothes chair. Mycroft, who had just stepped into the shower and felt a little dizzy, peered around the curtain: "Thank you. Oh, and I did tell you I was on a diet, didn't I?"

Sherlock only hummed non-committally and turned to go.

"Sherlock." Mycroft's voice sounded strained all of a sudden.

"Yes."

"Could you stay in here, please? I'm... not feeling too well."

Sherlock stood rooted to the spot; for Mycroft to admit something like that and if ever so indirectly ask for assistance, he truly must have experienced something awful. 

"Okay." The detective pushed the clothes aside and sat down on the old wicker chair. "Don't dawdle, though."

Mycroft supported himself on the wall while he showered, and somehow managed to stay on his feet. The realization of everything which had happened was only then beginning to dawn on him, and it was alarmingly terrifying. There had been attempts on his life before- something which the job brought with it- but never anything of such a scale. 

He tells Sherlock so while he's sipping his tea, savouring the sweet, hot drink. 

"What about Anthea?" John asks, "was she...?"

"No. I was on my own. The driver suddenly veered into the oncoming traffic, and when I checked on him, I saw that he was unconscious. Dead, more likely, but there was no time to assert that."

"And you definitely don't think it was an accident."

"It wasn't, because someone was obviously operating the steering wheel by remote control."

"Well, I'm glad whoever is responsible didn't succeed," John says, and Mycroft gives him a vague smile. 

"We saw the car," Sherlock states, rather abruptly, not looking at anyone. "When they pulled it out of the river. We thought you were dead."

"Sorry to disappoint," Mycroft murmurs into his mug.

Sherlock's head whips up:"Don't be ridiculous," he snaps, "do you think this is funny?"

"No, Sherlock, I don't think it is."Mycroft sounds tired. "Just as it isn't funny that you keep considering me to be your archenemy."

"I never called you that."

"Not in such explicit words, probably."

A heavy silence falls between them. John, who is leaning against the doorframe with folded arms, can see that neither of them is going to give in, stubborn as they are (he takes a shot in the dark concerning Mycroft there, but if Sherlock is anything to go by, his brother probably has just as thick a head as he does). John can also see that Mycroft is using the very last of his remaining strength to keep himself upright, and decides to break it off there and then.

"Maybe you two could continue this in the morning," he suggests in a firm voice which doesn't leave room for discussion, "after you both have gotten some sleep."

For the first time since Mycroft's shower, Sherlock looks at his brother for more than two seconds, and he sees what his friend means. Mycroft needs to rest and replenish his energy. 

"Good night," he murmurs and slips out of the room. Seconds later, they can hear the violin being tuned. 

John and Mycroft share a look.

"He'll always hate me," Mycroft states softly. 

No, John thinks, he won't. Loudly, he says: "I wouldn't necessarily say so, judging by his reaction earlier."

He leaves Mycroft to ponder this, though, judging by the way he looked just now, he probably won't do that for long. 

Sherlock is fiddling with his violin; he didn't begin to play after tuning it, meaning he's too upset to concentrate on the music right now. John, resigning himself to the fact that he won't get much sleep this night, possibly none at all even, joins his friend on the sofa: "Thoughts?"

"It's possible that we're being watched," Sherlock drawls in a deliberately bored voice, "but not very likely."

"'kay," John looks at him, deciding to tackle the issue head-on: "Quite a development, huh?"

"Yes."

"But?"

Sherlock sighs. "I wonder why he's here."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Of course I am. The whole affair has hardly been a laughing matter."

"And now you're just playing with words. You know what I meant."

"I suppose." Sherlock's voice is so low it's barely audible. Probably because this is almost a concession. 

"You know why he's here," John says, gently. 

"He needs my help. He wants me to investigate."

The doctor pinches the bridge of his nose and inwardly counts till five. 

"Or maybe he simply didn't have anywhere else to go," he suggests, "and you're his brother. Maybe he just wanted your company."

"Would you seek Harry's company if something like this happened to you?" Sherlock asks, sceptically.

John shakes his head: "You can hardly compare her and me to Mycroft and you. But no, I wouldn't have. Harry's neither reliable nor very dear to me."

Sherlock snorts, trying to make it sound derisive, but somehow, he can't. The whole night has been so surreal that he hasn't completely processed it yet, but he finds that a surge of relief is flooding through him each time he remembers that Mycroft's here, alive and relatively well. He's still insufferable, of course, and Sherlock doesn't doubt that he'll be sent a pair of expensive, "proper" pyjamas as soon as Mycroft will be able to arrange it, but nevertheless: he's still there. 

"You look knackered," John states softly, nudging Sherlock's shoulder with his own. "Get some sleep, Sherlock."

"You too."

"I sure will." John stands and stretches, promptly beginning to yawn. "God, I'm tired."

"John." Sherlock doesn't look at him, but he seems to sense that he's got the doctor's attention back: "Thank you for... earlier. Staying with me, and... looking after Mycroft."

If John weren't so tired, he'd probably come up with a more witty reply, something slightly mocking perhaps in order to commemorate this moment- Sherlock actually expressing his gratefulness with words happens too rarely altogether, after all. Instead, the doctor just smiles: "Anytime."

Long after John has disappeared upstairs, Sherlock is pondering this, lying on the sofa. John keeps astonishing him, and it's strangely reassuring to know that he didn't even have to think twice about being there for Sherlock, that it was understood he'd help and assist in any way he could, even if it cost him his sleep. The detective has never known anyone like him, though maybe that's putting it wrong- he has never had a friend like him. A friend who obviously intends to stick with him even though he by now knows a lot about Sherlock. Who admittedly cares deeply for John himself, but he is rather unskilled at showing it sometimes. Most of the time, if he is honest with himself. If the doctor weren't so patient, he'd probably have left already. Still, Sherlock hopes that he'd do the same for John, if the situation were reversed- being there for him, being patient. Well, maybe not as patient as John because that seems impossible, but he'd try.

To have a friendship like that is also a little unsettling- it makes a person vulnerable (John would probably argue: it also makes a person stronger), and furthermore, a lot is at stake if someone messes up. And Sherlock is certain that he under no circumstances wants to lose John again, so he must not mess up. The way John said "anytime" was startingly spectacular in its implicitness- the doctor didn't even have to think about it. Sherlock involuntarily smiles, but quickly turns serious again as his thoughts wander back to his brother. He doesn't know whether Mycroft has someone like that in his life, but he doubts it. If he had, he'd probably not have ended up here tonight. 

You're his brother... Maybe he wanted your company. John's voice says in Sherlock's mind. 

Slowly, Sherlock gets up and pads through the quiet space that is 221B. It is still dark, but he knows his way around well enough not to bump into furniture or other obstacles. 

The door to his bedroom opens soundlessly, and Sherlock slips in unheard. Trying not shake the mattress too much, he eases himself onto the duvet; Mycroft's breathing is deep and evenly, he seems sound asleep. Sherlock stretches out next to him. As a small boy, he used to sneak into Mycroft's bed sometimes; it was comforting to listen to his sleeping brother, in fact still is. Is. Another wave of relief washes over him, relief that he can still use the present tense. He is a little shaken by it, he doesn't like to be overwhelmed by his emotions like this. Well, at least Mycroft doesn't know about it, and Sherlock intends to make sure it stays that way. 

In a minute, he'll go back to the living room and follow John's advice to get some sleep, but right now, he'd like to listen to his brother just a little bit longer. 

With an inaudible sigh, he closes his eyes. 

The End

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 3, 2013 5:51 am  #3

Happy Holidays, DrWholocked!

Dear Wholocked,

I liked your prompt very much because it pointed to exactly the kind of genre I wanted to write. So, without further ado, I hope you’ll enjoy reading your story and I wish you a wonderful Christmas season!

Prompt: “John keeping a secret from Sherlock (not unrequited love). Can be silly.”

A Funny Night

A/N: This story is set shortly after “The Great Game”.

“Some lovers try positions that they can't handle.”

It really did take a lot to leave Sherlock Holmes speechless. He could count the times this had happened on the fingers of one hand. And now, at exactly 2:37 a.m. on a regular Tuesday night, John Watson had just added another item to this short list of speechlessness.

“Sorry?” Sherlock finally managed to get out.

He had been sitting at the kitchen table, bending over his microscope while preparing an experiment he wanted to perform on several thumbs that he had recently acquired from the morgue. Sherlock really hoped Mrs. Hudson wouldn't find them – she had the unfortunate tendency to ignore any pleas or threats and just pitch such things in the bin.

But ever since that wonderful, though also dangerous game with Moriarty several days ago, it seemed like the criminal world had decided to go on strike. Nothing interesting was happening at all, there were no exciting cases, just petty little problems of private clients. And Lestrade had refused to call Sherlock in on anything until he'd worked through ‘that bloody amount of paperwork your little game left behind.’

So Sherlock had been climbing the walls, ready to die of boredom any minute, and he'd had several fights with John who got more and more irritated the longer this slump in detective work continued.

Until 20 seconds ago, when John had appeared in the doorway, a slightly battered version of Gray's Anatomy in his hands, and uttered this ridiculous sentence.

Sherlock cleared his throat, looked back down into his microscope and to hide his momentary surprise, reiterated: “Would you care to elaborate, John?”

“I need to catch up on some medical topics,” John declared, waving the anatomy book around to emphasise his point. “So I have just been studying the eight carnal bones, and that's the mnemonic for remembering them: Some for scaphoid, lovers for lunate, try for triquetrum, positions for –”

“Yes all right, I get it,” Sherlock interrupted while he adjusted the slide he was examining. “But may I ask why you suddenly decided to study the carnal bones in the middle of the night?”

“I... I don't know.” John looked surprised at his own realization. He seemed to think for a moment and then added, in a voice which Sherlock recognized as his 'soldier-voice': “We are under threat. Threatened by an individual called Jim Moriarty, and possibly others. If one of us gets injured, I need to be prepared.”

“Prepared to name the carnal bones?” Sherlock said doubtfully. Somehow, John’s words didn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense tonight – but then again, he was certainly used to that feeling.

“Hmm, you might be right,” John answered, frowning while he stepped closer and dropping the book onto the table.

“I think what I actually need to do... is to train my shooting skills,” he concluded. “Where did you leave my gun? I want to see how many times I can hit that smiley face in the eye.”

Now Sherlock was well and truly baffled. Of course, he himself had shot the wall not too long ago in a fit of immense boredom, but he remembered only too well how upset John had become over this for some reason. Even Sherlock knew that shooting inside their flat in the middle of the night would be considered a bit not good, especially by Mrs. Hudson.

What the hell was going on? John was supposed to be the sensible one of the two of them, and Sherlock did not want to take over that part, thank you very much. He looked up and regarded John closely, who was now standing right beside him.

He was wearing his blue-striped pyjamas and had obviously just got out of bed, judging by his ruffled hair and the glassy look in his eyes, staring at Sherlock with a somewhat vacant expression.

In that moment, everything clicked into place in Sherlock's brain. Well, this was simply brilliant. He'd just found a very interesting experiment to conduct.

“Well, John,” he said carefully, thinking fast, “I'm not sure where the gun is right now. But why don't you...” What could he possibly make John do? “Why don't you cook us a little midnight snack? I'm actually a bit hungry and, you know, I need to keep up my strength, with all these threats hanging over us.”

The fact that John accepted this absolutely ridiculous and decidedly un-Sherlockian statement was the final proof that he was not all awake.

“Very good idea,” John said, practically beaming. He turned and walked, somewhat slowly, to the stove, where he took several pots and pans out of the cupboard.

Sherlock watched with a barely concealed grin on his face as John proceeded to grab everything from the lowest shelf out of the fridge. This resulted in quite a weird mixture of ingredients: the week-old risotto that they'd forgotten to throw out, the blackberry jam, a half-empty can of baked beans in tomato sauce, the mustard and two leftover eggs.

John carried the food to the counter, clumsily dropping the mustard tube on his way there. Sherlock picked it up and tucked it next to the other things.

“What is it that you're cooking, John?” Sherlock inquired in a very casual manner.

“It's a John Watson speciality,” John explained, still smiling broadly while looking somewhat dreamy. “It's called 'Surprising Risotto'. You'll love it.”

Sherlock very much doubted that, but then he wasn't really planning on eating anything that John was currently cooking anyway.

“Well, I just don't want to get food poisoning or something,” he said while watching John cracking the eggs into the pan, where the risotto and the beans were already simmering in a truly awful-looking mixture of tomato sauce, slowly dissolving mustard and jam. “I'm right in the middle of an important experiment, you know.”

“No worries there, Sherlock,” John said cheerfully, “I can make risotto in my sleep.” He grabbed the pepper and the cinnamon from the spices and added a very generous amount of each to the pan.

“Yes, I can see that,” Sherlock murmured under his breath, while John declared the meal as “finished and ready to enjoy.”

“So, what is this important experiment about, Sherlock?” John asked while he began loading the contents of the pan onto two plates.

“Well, did you know that people can actually commit murder while sleepwalking?” Sherlock said, watching John's expression very carefully. “For example, in 2008, a man in Wales killed his wife while sleepwalking, thinking she was a burglar. He was even acquitted of the charge of homicide. Unlike this guy in Arizona in 1999, who apparently just pretended to have sleepwalked... but there also was a Canadian who murdered –”

“What were you studying under the microscope, then?” John interrupted, now rummaging around in the cutlery drawer.

“That was... some brain tissue, from the biopsy they did on a sleepwalker,” Sherlock said, inventing wildly.

“Brilliant,” John said in that voice full of awe he usually reserved for the most amazing accomplishments of Sherlock's deductions. “I used to suffer from somnambulism too, you know.”

Sherlock was impressed with how he managed to pronounce the difficult word with only the slightest stumbling.

“I kept wandering around at night as a child, especially whenever I was under stress,” John continued, “and it also happened once or twice during my time in Afghanistan.”

“Good thing it hasn't re-occurred since you came back,” Sherlock commented dryly.

“Yes, isn't it?” John agreed happily, taking a few slow steps to the kitchen table with a knife and a fork in his left and the other plate of food in his right hand. “And also, I haven't killed anyone while sleepwalking. At least I don't think so. Let's eat!”

“Well, you know what, I think I'm not actually hungry after all,” Sherlock began, “Why don't we save this, ah...” Poison? Hazardous material? “... this food for tomorrow, sit down on the couch instead and tell each other our deepest secrets? I'll even be nice and let you start.”

John stopped dead in his tracks. “Secrets?” he echoed, turning around slowly to face Sherlock.

“Yes, John, secrets,” Sherlock said patiently. “What, for example, is the last secret you kept from me?”

He was more than eager to hear the answer to that one. So far, this was turning out to be a splendid night after all these days of insufferable boredom.

“I'm currently reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey',” John whispered mysteriously and he took a step towards Sherlock.

Fifty shades of what? Sherlock didn't quite know what to make of this ‘secret’. Maybe it had something to do with Gray's Anatomy that John had been reading? He didn't have time to ponder about it, though, as John continued to come closer, raising the fork and knife in his left hand.

“But tell me, Sherlock Holmes,” hissed John, his voice no longer cheerful, “are you suggesting you're not going to eat the meal that I cooked?”

His icy voice, combined with that glazed, far-away staring look in his eyes was starting to alarm Sherlock somewhat. He backed away until his back hit the kitchen counter. “Well, no, I just...”

Those cases of alleged sleepwalking murderers couldn’t possibly be true, could they? But he had indeed read that the mood of sleepwalkers could change rapidly and even become quite aggressive...

“Then,” John whispered, now standing inches away from Sherlock, knife and fork still raised somewhat menacingly, “you are at least going to taste a little of it. Go ahead.” He lifted the plate he was carrying until it was right in front of Sherlock's face.

Sherlock tried to think about what to do. It was a myth that you should never wake up a sleepwalking person because it could be dangerous. But then, it would be almost fatally embarrassing if he woke John enough to let him realize he'd let himself be backed into a corner by someone who wasn't even fully conscious. John would presumably mock him about it for weeks.

So he decided to take the food poisoning risk and indulge John's demands just this once.

“Yes,” he said carefully and in what he hoped was a soothing voice, “I'll try the nice meal that you cooked, and then you can go back to bed and get a good night's sleep, right?”

John nodded slowly, before offering him the fork he was holding. It didn't escape Sherlock's attention that John did not let go of the knife.

Sherlock took a deep breath, reminding himself that he probably – no, hopefully – wouldn't die from whatever John had put together on that plate, and pushed a forkful of the meal into his mouth.

He didn't quite like most food in general, but this truly had to be the most revolting thing he'd ever tasted. He spluttered and coughed, wishing he could just spit it all back out again, but swallowing the whole bit at once instead.

“Tastes really good,” he managed to lie, his eyes watering from all the cinnamon and pepper, feeling the horrible mix of jam and mustard on his tongue.

“That's what I thought,” John said, apparently quite satisfied, and stepping back. “I'm really tired now, Sherlock. I want to go to bed.”

Sherlock thought he'd better make sure that John indeed went back to his bed and not out of the door, or a window for that matter. Even though his flatmate had just threatened and tried to poison him.

“I'll take you to your room, all right?” Sherlock said and slowly took John's arm so as not to startle him. John nodded, and Sherlock managed to carefully guide him back to his bedroom and into the bed.

As soon as he was under the cover, John curled up and closed his eyes. “Night, Sh'lock,” he mumbled.

“Good night, John,” Sherlock replied quietly. He waited two minutes, until John's breath had evened out and he seemed to finally be asleep.

Then Sherlock went back down to the kitchen, sat down on the table where the thumbs were still lying under the microscope. Those could go back into the fridge for the time being. He had found a much more interesting distraction.

[Sent 03:15:21]

Mission “Saving Sherlock's Sanity” successfully accomplished. - JW

[Received 03:15:58]

Did he really fall for it? - GL

[Sent 03:16:44]

Absolutely. I even managed to take a little revenge by forcing him to eat awful stuff. He didn't get the joke about Fifty Shades of Grey though. - JW

[Received 03:17:37]

?? Think I don't want to know details... But well done for giving his majesty a nice distraction, mate. Think I'll finally call him in the morning, got a weird speckled body for him. Gnite - GL

[Sent 03:17:59]

Sounds good. See you tomorrow then. - JW

John deleted the messages, then put his phone on the bedside table and closed his eyes, smirking.

Hopefully Sherlock would never find out.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 5, 2013 6:06 am  #4

Happy Holidays, stoertebeker!

A Christmas Memory

“You promised.” John remained adamant. After three glasses of mulled wine he felt he was able to cope with two Holmeses. He pointed at the empty red wine bottle lying on the living room floor and grinned. “Your turn, Sherlock.” He paused. “And Mycroft, you will keep your mouth shut for once.”

Sherlock rolled his eyes. “Go on, John, truth or dare? “

“Truth.”

“Fine, what do you want to know?”

Mycroft opened his mouth, but John was prepared. “No snide remarks, no threats, no objections. Are we clear on that? So, Sherlock, tell me about your happiest Christmas memory.”

Sherlock raised an eyebrow.

“You know what Christmas is, don‘t you? Tree, mistletoe, presents, silly hats, lots of food, bright-eyed children …“

“You know I do Christmas just to keep you and Mrs Hudson happy.”

Before John could say anything Mycroft spoke. “Heavens, John, this is ridiculous. Sherlock never had any sentimental fondness for Christmas. When he was five he deduced the contents of the presents from the colour of the bows and the exact amount of hot toddy Father had drunk from the angle of his tie.“ He turned to look at Sherlock. “And what about the Boxing Day you used your new chemistry set to blow up Mummy’s best Wedgwood?”

“It was an experiment,” Sherlock replied haughtily.

“And I remember you deducing the vicar’s affair with …”

John got to his feet, raised his arms and yelled “Stop it!” Stunned silence. “Just this once. Do you know what the word H-A-P-P-Y means? Do you have any idea of the concept behind this word? Or are your brilliant minds incapable of grasping what that means to the general public?”

Awkward silence.

“So please, just this once and just for me, Sherlock - do what you are told.”

He fell back into the chair, crossed his arms and looked expectantly from one brother to the other.

Sherlock cleared his throat and threw Mycroft a look John might have called insecure if this word had existed in connection with the Holmes brothers.

“Well, there is one thing I remember. I must have been nearly four. Some weeks before Christmas Mycroft and I went into town. There was a toy shop which had this big, colourful pirate ship in the window, completely made of plastic, with lots of skulls, and treasure chests, and little people wielding plastic swords. It was totally tasteless and very expensive. And I loved it.”

There was something in Sherlock‘s voice that John had never heard before. Longing? Wistfulness? He looked over at Mycroft and detected a softness in his face he had not noticed before and which he would have deemed impossible had he not seen it with his own eyes.

“Of course I did not tell my parents about it. They preferred strictly educational toys made of natural materials. Or musical instruments.”

There was something in the atmosphere that made John nearly hold his breath.

“Well, Christmas came and I kept thinking about this ship. I dreamt of being a pirate at that age. Sentimental, of course, but there you are.” He took a sip from his wine which would have been cold by now. “On Boxing Day I did not expect a surprise as I still remembered

the Montessori Hundreds Board I‘d gotten last year.” He made a pause and looked at the wine in his glass. “And then there were the presents. Lots of useful stuff, a nice globe, a kids‘ introduction to chemistry - and a very big box in different wrapping paper with garish colours and toys printed on it. Suddenly my heart was hammering. My hands trembled when I ripped open the paper and there it was - the pirate ship from the shop window. So Mycroft had told them. It was the first time my parents got me something they did not approve of but which I wanted. And for a second I believed that there might be a Father Christmas after all.”

John turned his head when he heard a soft chuckle. “What, Mycroft? This was a wonderful story and you‘re poking fun at –“

“No,“ Sherlock said suddenly, his voice sounding slightly choked. “No, he isn‘t. Pocket money?”

Mycroft shrugged. “Four months and Aunt Claire‘s birthday allowance.”

“I never thanked you.”

“You never knew.”

“But I do now.” Sherlock got up and clinked his glass against Mycroft‘s. “Cheers, brother.” He looked at John. “Happy?”

“Oh, God, yes.”

December 7, 2013 7:59 am  #5

Happy Holidays, GoSherlocked!

A Study in Monsters

Dear GoSherlocked, The bill was romance, drama, hurt/comfort and Johnlock. I have tried my best and I hope you enjoy!

Sherlock was back. Pacing around the Baker Street flat, ranting on the sofa. Lestrade visited them more often now, and Mrs Hudson poked in more too. Just checking he really was there. And he really was. Sherlock was back. With his high cheekbones and his long coat with collar turned up, and his rants about his superior mind. Sherlock was back. But so were the nightmares.

They came to John the first night of his return. Monsters with severed limbs and blown apart guts. This time, the monsters fell, long and slow, face down on the ground. First he was watching the monsters, crouched away from the scene in terror, next he was falling with them. He woke up in his upstairs bedroom, lying in a pool of sweat, screaming.

Sherlock was back. A week or two passed and he asked John to come with him on a case.

“You are going to love this one John, it’s just up your alley.” Sherlock said. His body was lithe, poised for action, just as it had always been before they rushed off in a cab to a crime scene.

“OK” replied John. That was easier than saying no. He didn’t move from his chair.

“Well come on then John,” Sherlock said sharply, putting on his scarf. “We really haven’t got all day”

John blinked and stood up. Without thinking he put on his leather jacket and followed Sherlock down the stairs and into the awaiting cab.

In the cab, Sherlock smiled at John, and he found himself smiling back. A tingle of the old excitement whispered on his skin. This is who they were after all, wasn’t it. Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson, world-renowned consulting detectives. He even hoped this would be a tricky one, one that would capture Sherlock’s interest and his own sense of adventure. This was how it was supposed to happen, wasn’t it?

Then he saw the body.

A pool of dark red blood oozed from beneath the figure of a slim woman in a grey business suit. She had been stabbed in the chest and abdomen repeatedly, her skirt was hitched up and her legs were bruised. The monster had sat on top of her whilst he did his butchering and God knows what else. The woman’s face was frozen in a scream of agony and desperation.

John blinked.

The monster was still there.

Sherlock was saying something to him, his voice bubbling away as he circled the body and made his mental notes. But John’s attention was on the dark figure sitting on the woman, a vulture eating the spoils. His mouth was dripping with the woman’s blood.

“GET HIM OFF HER!” John screamed.

The monster laughed, the evil sound creeping into John’s bones.

“GET HIM OFF HER!” John screamed and screamed.

And then it went white.

When he woke up, it was still white. A white hospital bed and white sheets. The wall was cream with a picture of a beach scene and a dog playing in the waves.

A nurse took his temperature and gave him an injection. The monsters were sleeping, snoring on their big fluffy pillows. John closed his eyes.

The voices spoke quietly around him, with snatches filtering into his consciousness.

“Delayed post-traumatic stress reaction. Very common in ex- military, especially if there have been re-traumatising events.”

“Poor boy… The shock of Sherlock coming back was just too much... Can’t wait till he comes back home so I can make him a nice cup of tea and a few biscuits. That will fix him up.”

“Only my brother would fake his own death, come back to life three years later, and expect everyone else to just get on with it.”

“John”

Sherlock’s warm baritone cut through the others. John put his hand out from under his hospital blanket. He felt a firm squeeze of pressure close around his fingers.

“Hold my hand,” whispered John, eyes still closed.

The hand stayed and the monsters let John sleep.

In his dreams, the monsters danced again. One was a women, her chest bleeding, the other could only be Moriaty, a flamboyant figure in a Westwood suit. The two waltzed together through the night, whilst John looked on in terror. When he could bear it no longer, he pushed through into consciousness.

“Why?” he asked. He turned his head a met a pair of green blue eyes.

Sherlock gulped.

“WHY!” John yelled. “WHY!”

Sherlock reached for his hand again. Ah, that was good. The warmth of his hand settled him.

“I think you might need to go now, sir,” a stern voice said, “He needs his rest, and visiting hours are almost over”

“No!” said John, holding on to his hand tighter, “Please don’t go. No!”

“Maybe stay a little longer then, but just hold his hand. The psychiatrist said he wasn’t ready to talk yet” said the nurse.

When the monsters swarmed around him this time, pushing him into the dank murky pool, the hand pulled him out.

John opened his eyes and looked at Sherlock, sitting by his bed, his warm hand still steadying him.

"Thank you." John said.

"Of course," replied Sherlock, his eyes wide in surprise.

John smiled and drifted, for the first time in what felt like years, into peaceful, dreamless sleep.

He kept his eyes closed and felt for the hand as he drifted in and out.

“His brain activity and heart rate are back to a normal pattern, that's really great news"

"Don't you want to go home, Sherlock love, you've been here for days. I'll stay with him"

"Stubborn boy... You'll make yourself ill with worry"

When the voices, quietened, John opened his eyes to find Shelock gazing at him intensely.

"You know, I saw monsters too,” he said in a low voice, his gaze not leaving John's face. "When I was in hiding, actually almost every night for the first year. And each time they came for me, they hurt you to get to me. That was Moriaty's game, his final problem. Here was someone I loved more than myself, and they only way I could protect him was to leave him. Love was death, and death was love."

"Sherlock" John gasped. "It's OK, you don't need..."

"No, John, I need to say it. When I came back I thought I had solved the problem, found a way you could live, and I could be alive too. So not only was there love, but there was hope. What a fool I was. The damage had already been done"

“You’re here now,” John smiled.

Sherlock bent over and placed a warm kiss on his forehead.

“What a pair we are.” Sherlock’s smile was bittersweet, as the monsters slinked off defeated for now, into the recesses of John’s mind.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The night before Christmas.

“Where did you put the turkey legs? I need to get the dinner on.” John stared into a crowded fridge as he screamed to Sherlock from the kitchen.

“Behind my feet” replied Sherlock calmly.

John slammed the fridge shut and stormed to the door way of living room where Sherlock was pacing up and down.

“Your feet? Your feet,” repeated John.

“Yes, my feet” replied Sherlock, he stopped pacing to turn and look at John. “Molly donated some spares from the morgue for me. Very kind of her, I must say.”

“Come over here,” said John.

“What?” replied Sherlock, walking up to John.

“Mistletoe,” he smiled, reaching for his hands and pulling him into a long and sensual kiss.

When they let go of each other, Sherlock beamed at John, speechless for once.

“And we’re getting take-away,” John said calmly, although his heart was still beating a million times a minute.

“Take- away it is,” replied Sherlock, reaching for John and pulling him close into another embrace.

It was their first Christmas together in three years, and there were no monsters to be seen.

THE END.

December 8, 2013 8:10 am  #6

Happy Holidays, NotYourHousekeeperDear!

You requested a fanfiction story with ‘a bit of romance and angst’. So I wrote a Johnlock story as well as a sickfic. I hope you don’t mind either of these genres. And please don’t worry about the angst-issue, you can take the title literally :-) Have fun!

Everything will be OK

1. A waste of time?

John had just finished his breakfast and was about to get ready for work as Sherlock called from his favorite spot on the sofa. “We are going to meet Lestrade at the Yard in an hour.”

John looked at his partner and sighed. “You are going to meet him. I am going to work.”

“You have work today?” Sherlock asked in astonishment.

“Yes,” John replied and pointed towards the small calendar on the kitchen wall.

“Oh!”

Sherlock, though gifted with a massive intellect and a remarkable ability to notice and remember even the tiniest details at a crime scene, was somehow not able to memorize whether John had a shift at the hospital or not (or maybe he just deemed the information as unimportant and deleted it right away). So John put the calendar on the wall and marked every day, he had to go to work.

John only took a part-time job at a hospital near Baker Street. It was ideal; he could assist Sherlock with his cases and keep practicing as a doctor. Although Sherlock sometimes complained about John having not enough time for him, he also knew that John was very devoted to his work as a doctor. And of course, Sherlock would never really try to keep John away from his profession. Everything that made John happy, made him happy too.

Their relationship had changed a few months after Sherlock’s return from his death. It took a while until Sherlock was able to figure out these strange new feelings towards his flatmate. And it took some more time until he was able to confess. First, Sherlock had tried to ignore the confusing emotions that bubbled inside him whenever John was around. Then he tried to get rid of them by avoiding John’s presence. He spent long evenings in the lab and didn’t ask John to accompany him to crime scenes anymore. Until one day John was fed up with Sherlock’s behavior and suggested leaving Baker Street because obviously Sherlock did not need him anymore. On that point, Sherlock was finally able to tell John the truth about his feelings towards him. It took a night’s sleep and some hours of shock and musing, until John could admit to himself that he reciprocated.

After being a couple for almost 8 months now they had developed a fairly good routine in their relationship - anything far from ordinary of course, but normal enough for them.

“When will you be back?”

“My shift ends at 3pm. But I have an appointment with Sean afterwards to discuss my examination results.”

Sherlock rolled his eyes. “Waste of time,” he said.

John sighed again. They had this discussion already. John, as a responsible doctor, always made a general medical check-up once a year. He tried to convince Sherlock to do the same, although he already guessed his partner’s reaction.

“That’s completely ridiculous! We are both in an absolute perfect health. Such an examination is a total waste of time!”

John had resigned that argument rather quickly. He had hoped Sherlock would be a bit more reasonable after the events of last winter, where a very tough case of flu rendered the detective bedridden for almost a week. After that Sherlock had admitted that a flu vaccination (which he had refused as dull previously) could be (perhaps!) an appropriate precaution next time.

“However,” John said after putting on his jacket. “I should be ready at about 4pm; shall I meet you at the Yard or Bart’s?”

“I’ll text you.”

With a quick kiss on Sherlock’s temple and a ruffle through his partner’s curls, John left.

----------------------------------------------

“You are in pretty good health, John,” Sean said and smiled at him.

Sean O’Mara was a former colleague of John from university but both men lost contact after John joined the military. Sean had started to work in the hospital a few weeks after John. They were more than surprised as one day both accidently bumped into another, John leaving the elevator, Sean entering it. Since then, they kept close contact and sometimes went for a drink after work, frequently accompanied by Mike Stamford.

“Blood pressure, cholesterol level, blood sugar, everything within the optimal range,” Sean continued while he looked at the test results. His smile had faded a bit.

“But?” John asked noticing the small frown on his colleague’s forehead.

“Your liver values are not OK,” the other doctor answered. “Look.” Sean handed the paper to John and pointed at some figures with his biro.

“Mmhh, yes, I see. They are a bit too high,” John agreed with a frown.

“You had any problems recently? Fatigue, pain?”

John thought for a moment, then shook his head. “None at all.”

“Well then,” Sean said. “It’s most likely just a spontaneous deviation or even a mistake in the analysis. But I will draw another blood sample and send it for a second analysis, just to be on the safe side.”

“Right, go ahead,” John nodded and rolled up the right sleeve of his jumper. Of course he knew that irregular results could happen without any actual cause.

“If you don’t hear anything from me within the next few days, everything is fine,” Sean said after labeling John’s fresh blood sample. “Otherwise I’ll call you.”

“Fine. Going for a pint again soon?”

Sean grinned. “Sure!”

With a tiny bit of worry John left the hospital. His phone beeped. It was 4pm exactly; of course, Sherlock had took him by his word.

Barts. Lab. Meet me there. SH

On my way. JW

John had hardly entered the laboratory, before Sherlock begun to tell him about the latest case. A car mechanic had been stabbed in his garage. John asked about some details that Sherlock deemed unimportant and had left out. Then they started with the experiments Sherlock deemed important to do. He was bent over the microscope and several test tubes while analyzing different types of engine oils. John on his side handed him ingredients and took notes about the results.

Quarter to nine, after Molly’s third attempt to get rid of them and John’s loud growling stomach, Sherlock finally gave in to leave the lab.

“By the way,” Sherlock asked while the two men waited for a cab to arrive. “How were your examination results?”

John had already forgotten about his conversation with Sean. “As you said,” he answered without thinking. “Perfect health.”

Sherlock huffed. “I told you so, total waste of time.”

On their ride home, Sherlock was franticly typing on his phone, John wondered whether he should have told Sherlock about the abnormal liver values. But finally he shook his head. Don’t be silly, he told himself. It’s nothing. No reason to worry.

December 8, 2013 8:19 am  #7

Everything will be OK

2. Something is wrong

Three days later, John had just started the morning shift; he got a call from Sean. “Hey Sean. What’s up?”

“Hello John. I just got the results from your blood analysis.”

John felt that small pang of worry again. Sean had said, he would only call, if something wasn’t right. “So, the liver values are still too high?” John asked.

“I’m afraid yes. Would you mind, coming over today? I would like to make an ultrasound scan.”

“Sure. What time?”

John felt uncomfortable lying on the examination table while Sean put some gel on his stomach. The doctor seemed to notice John’s tension. “Doctors are the worst patients, mmhh?” he teased smiling as he started to move the ultrasound head over the area he wanted to examine.

“Yeah,” John said also smiling. “We know everything better.”

John couldn’t see the screen of the device from his position on the bed. He didn’t like that because, yes, he was a doctor and he wanted to know what was happening inside him. But he knew how unnerving a doctor-patient can be, so he kept quiet and just observed Sean’s reactions. Like some days ago the smile on his colleague’s face disappeared. He is just concentrating, John told himself. You are always extra careful, when examining a colleague.

After a few minutes Sean finished the scan and handed John some paper towels. “You can put your jumper back on. I’m going to make some prints, so we can discuss them.”

OK, John thought while wiping the rest of the gel from his belly. Something is wrong.

They met a few minutes later in Sean’s office. “There are irregularities on the scan,” Sean said and laid the pictures on the desk, so that John could see them. “Here,” he drew a circle around a certain area with his pen. “and here.”

John nodded. It was on all the pictures and clearly visible from the different angles. There was definitely a change in the tissue structure, but it was not explicit enough to reason the kind of abnormal formation. It could be anything. It could be harmless but also… “OK. What’s next?” he asked, stopping this train of thoughts. “MRI scan, I suppose?”

“Yes,” Sean nodded and picked up his phone. “I’ll see whether you can get an appointment tomorrow.”

Sherlock was occupied with some experiment in the kitchen when John came home.

“How was your day?” Sherlock mumbled after John had bent down and put a kiss on his partner’s head.

John hesitated for a moment. He got his appointment for the scan tomorrow at 10am. He was worried but also tried to be reasonable about it. The ultrasound pictures didn’t mean anything yet. It could still be a harmless tissue change which will go away by itself. No reason to worry Sherlock.

“OK, but strenuous patients today,” John said because he knew Sherlock would notice that something was up. “I’m tired.” He considered his options for a moment then he added. “I have to go to work tomorrow too. Won’t be long, just a couple of hours I suppose.”

“Why?” You don’t have work tomorrow,” Sherlock looked up from the microscope. “I looked at the calendar,” he added with a slightly proud tone that reminds John of a child begging for praise. He chuckled a bit.

“Yeah, just some paperwork that remained undone today. I’ll hurry.” John tried to sound as casual as possible. He saw Sherlock’s frown. It did happen sometimes, that John’s working schedule changed from one day to another but just a few hours due to paperwork, that was unusual.

“Well,” John said, knowing perfectly well which buttons to push to distract Sherlock. “What about the case? I already thought about a nice title for the blog. What do you think about ‘His last service’?”

“I suppose, I don’t have to tell you how the procedure is going to work, Dr. Watson?” Allison, the radiology assistant, asked while John tried to find a comfortable position on the stretcher of the MRI device.

“No. I have been in such a thing a couple of times already,” John replied. He had several MRI-scans for his shoulder and leg after his injury in Afghanistan. “It will be cold, loud and boring,” he said smiling.

Allison laughed. “I’ll get you a blanket and there are these of course,” she gave him a set of “Mickey Mouse” hearing protectors. “I’m afraid I cannot do much against boredom. The newer devices include the feature of playing music over the headphones. But I’m afraid we don’t have one of those.”

“Pity, some Beatles songs would be really nice now,” John joked and Allison laughed, she suggested he should sing to himself, she wouldn’t mind. Allison was a nice woman and previously, before he and Sherlock became a couple, he would have probably asked her out on a date. The thought of Sherlock made John felt guilty for lying to his partner about the appointment today.

“Ready?” Allison asked after she fixed John on the stretcher and tucked the blanket around him. He nodded.

The stretcher drove into the small tube and soon the rumbling and knocking of the machine began. John closed his eyes. The noise was still loud despite the ear muffs but was also so monotonous that he dozed off a bit.

John looked at the pictures of scan and a cold shudder ran down his spin. Sean and Dr. Brian Atkins, a radiologist, who was more experienced in the interpretation of MRI-scans than Sean or John was, had just explained the results to him. “A tumor,” John said and tried to gulp down the lump that formed in his throat. “Cancer.” It was more a statement than a question.

“Not necessarily, no. The pictures do not show all the typical indications for a cancer tumor,” Dr. Atkins said.

“But it could be?”

“Yes,” Sean replied with a struggle. “Yes it could be. We need to look at it more closely.”

“You mean surgery?”

“Yes. The sooner, the better. If it is cancer, the chances of a full recovery increase each day the earlier we start the treatment,” Dr. Atkins sounded cold and distant. But John knew he was right and at the moment he was glad for the doctor’s professionalism.

The next hour passed in a blur. The surgery to remove the tumor was set up for next Tuesday at 1pm. The necessary examinations for preparation were carried out. Sean and John talked about the procedure and risks of the operation. When everything was finally settled John felt numb. He couldn’t quite associate the situation with himself. It felt like he was watching someone else.

“John,” Sean said in his best comforting-doctor-voice as he accompanied his colleague towards the exit. “Please don’t worry too much. You know, it’s most likely something benign. An adenoma or even a FNH maybe.” John nodded but wasn’t really convinced. “I know, it’s still a surgery containing some risks,” Sean continued. “But besides of your liver you are in a good condition. Everything is going to be ok.”
John had just hailed a cab when he found a text from Sherlock on his phone, saying he should meet him at the latest crime scene as soon as possible. John hesitated a moment. He actually thought of heading directly back home but sitting alone at the flat would probably drive him up the wall at the moment. He needed time to process the events of today. Maybe the case would provide him with enough distraction to clear his mind and prepare for the talk he was going to have with Sherlock.

John arrived at the crime scene half an hour later. It was a business park which had seen better days. Most of the buildings were in poor condition and many shops were closed. Before he left the cap John took some deep breaths and put a neutral expression in his face. With a partner like Sherlock you develop some practice in not wearing your feelings right on your face. John entered the garage, in which its owner was murdered four days ago.

Sherlock was busy arguing with Anderson about the relevance of some clues Sherlock had found. Lestrade stood next to them and tried to end their argument but both men didn’t give him a chance to speak. When John approached the trio he heard Sherlock saying something like “… even a car jack is smarter then you.”

“That’s enough, Sherlock,” Lestrade barked and Anderson stalked away sulking. “Hello John,” the DI said when he noticed his attendance.

“Your paper work did take long,” Sherlock snapped, obviously annoyed by the lack of John’s presence during this case.

“Yeah, sorry, it was more than I had expected.”

Sherlock was too occupied with his anger towards Anderson and the stupidity of the Yard (which he proclaimed towards Lestrade several times during the next hours) to notice John’s tension. Luckily they were soon busy with the case again so John could shove the thoughts of the surgery to the back of his mind. In the afternoon, the case was solved. The owner of another garage, two blocks away, was arrested.

“Business rivalry! What a boring motive!” Sherlock exclaimed while they waited for a cab to arrive.

“Well, not for him obviously,” John just said.

That’s when Sherlock realized that John had been oddly quiet in the last hours. “Are you ok?”

“Yes. Yes of course, I am fine,” John replied quickly and smiled. Not now, he thought, this is not the right moment to tell him. “So what do you think? Angelo’s or the Chinese near Baker Street?”

“Chinese. Take away. I want to be home as soon as possible,” Sherlock said and gave him a look which sent a pleasant shiver down John’s back.

By the time Sherlock and John got together, they established (well, Sherlock demanded it) a simple rule: Not much (John demanded the ‘not much’ instead of ‘no’) physical contact during a case. Sherlock didn’t like any distraction from his precious work not even from John. So their relationship during cases was limited to harmless kisses (mostly from John) or light touches. But when a case had been solved, Sherlock was very eager to resume the physical aspects of their relationship.

Just as today.

When John awoke the next morning, the events of the day before smashed down on him immediately. I’ll have a surgery in a couple of days. I have a tumor in my liver. It might be cancer. He tossed and turned for a while, tried to calm his racing mind. He turned around facing Sherlock who was still in deep sleep. He was curled up on his side, the duvet wrapped around his naked body. Normally watching his partner sleep had a soothing effect on John but not today. He felt guilty, that he hadn’t talked to Sherlock the previous day about the surgery. But the evening had been so nice especially after they went to bed to, well, celebrated the resolution of the latest case in their own way. He just could not bring himself to destroy the peace they had.

John got more and more agitated each minute. He glanced at Sherlock once again. They had just finished a case that kept him awake for nearly two days, so he would probably sleep a bit longer. Carefully, John got up, put some clothes on and quietly left the room. He was unsure what to do but finally decided he needed more information. He had been a surgeon in the military and now worked in the A&E. He didn’t know much more about cancer therapy than the things he learned in university and that was ages ago.

John sat down in front of his laptop and began some research. He didn’t notice how much time had passed but after a while he had a first overview about types of liver cancer and treatment options. It didn’t really help to calm his nerves. John heard a creak from the room next door. He immediately shut the laptop and stood up.

“John?” a sleepy Sherlock emerged from the bedroom. “Since when were you awake?”

“Oh, just a couple of minutes. I was about to go to Tesco’s.”

“Now?” Sherlock wondered about John’s unusual haste, especially on a Saturday morning.

“Yes, we are almost out of milk. Besides we need eggs, I thought about pancakes for breakfast. You want anything else?”

Sherlock shook his head, still occupied with waking up.

“Ok, I’ll be back in a moment,” John said, put on his jacket and then left in a hurry.

When he was on the street John took several deep breaths. Maybe it was a mistake to look on these websites, before having a confirmed diagnosis. That’s what he always told his own patients. Be patient, don’t freak out. Now he experienced how hard it was to follow his own advice. A bit of air and a walk; that was exactly what he needed now to get his head clear. So he turned to the left and headed for the supermarket.

In the flat, Sherlock made coffee, still wondering about John’s odd behavior. When he returned to the living room, his eyes fell on John’s laptop. The power signal was on. Strange, Sherlock thought. He was absolutely certain, that he had shut down the device yesterday evening. Hadn’t John told him, he was awake only for a few minutes? Sherlock set his mug down and opened the laptop.

December 8, 2013 8:21 am  #8

Everything will be okay

3. I won’t lose you

John returned half an hour later with two shopping bags in his hands. He had settled down a bit and had already thought about how to tell Sherlock about the upcoming surgery. When he entered the living room he saw Sherlock sitting in front of his laptop. He was paler than usual and when he looked up, John saw an expression between fear, disbelief, anger and disappointment. Shit!

“Sherlock…” he began.

“When?” Sherlock said in a low and dangerously calm voice. “When had you planned to tell me this?”

“Look, I came back from the hospital yesterday. And then there was the case, and…”

“And what?” Sherlock interrupted once again, his voice trembling with anger now. “You hold me so superficial that I would find the case more important than your health? More important than finding out my partner has cancer?”

“It’s not definite, yet,” John replied, feeling his own temper rising. He understood Sherlock’s agitation but he would clearly appreciate the opportunity to give him a proper explanation.

“Oh great, very soothing!” his voice louder and dripped with sarcasm. “I suppose, you expect me to be grateful for not being distracted.”

Ok, that’s enough, John thought. A reasonable conversation is not possible at the moment.

“You know what! Yell at the wall, the skull or whatever. Throw your temper tantrum like a five year old! I am the one that may be seriously ill. I must come to terms with it first!” John finally yelled desperation in his voice. “I’m going for a walk. I need some air!”

Without waiting for an answer, John slammed the shopping bags on the ground, turned on his heels and left the flat.

There was this place in Regent’s Park - a bench a little of from the main path, hidden between some bushes near a small pond. John always went here when he and Sherlock had a fight. Sherlock knew about it but he seldom came here. He normally respected his partner’s wishes for privacy. Today was different though. About an hour after John’s leaving, he slowly approached the bench on which John sat with a very thoughtful and sad face. Sherlock felt his stomach contract by the sight of his partner. His emotions wreaked havoc after seeing the websites about liver cancer and treatment options, suddenly realizing the reason for John’s distant behavior in the last few days. But the only feeling left now was fear. Sherlock sat down next to John and both men said nothing for a while.

Finally, John raised one arm and run his hand gingerly through Sherlock’s curls. “I’m sorry,” he said quietly.

Sherlock shut his eyes momentarily, enjoying the feeling of John caressing his hair. He took a deep breath. “Me too. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

“It’s ok,” John replied.

“What happened?”

John told him about the first blood results, the assumption of a measuring error, the second sample and about the uncertain ultrasound pictures and results of the MRI scan yesterday. Finally, he told him about the upcoming surgery. “I am sorry,” John said again. “I should have told you earlier. At least yesterday, after the scan.”

“No,” Sherlock said and looked at John, anger and fear written all over his face. “You should have told me much earlier. Why haven’t you? Don’t you trust me anymore?” The desperation in Sherlock’s voice was hard to bear. “I know I can be ignorant sometimes, but...”

“No!” John interrupted, his heart clenched at his partner’s words. He cupped Sherlock’s face in his hands and stroked slowly with is thump along his cheekbones. “No, that’s not it. It’s... I didn’t want to worry you. And, I think, I didn’t want to worry myself,” John hesitated while Sherlock slowly relaxed under his touch. “I don’t know…as long as I didn’t tell anybody, it felt as if it wasn’t true. I could ignore it. But if I had told you, it would have become much more real. This doesn’t really make sense to you, doesn’t it?”

“A bit,” Sherlock replied with a tiny smile.

“I was afraid,” John finally admitted. “God, I AM afraid,” he said and his voice sounded hoarse.

Sherlock leant forward until their foreheads touch. He took Johns hands in his own. Both men stayed still for a long moment, just relishing the presents of one another and seeking strength.

“I won’t lose you,” Sherlock finally said with determination. “I won’t let that happen.”

---------------------------------------------

Sherlock received a call from Lestrade shortly after they had returned to their flat. “He has a new case,” Sherlock told John. “I will tell him, we won’t come this time.”

“No,” John said quickly. “It’s ok. Let’s go.”

“But…”

“Please Sherlock. I don’t want to spend the next days musing about the things that might come. I need a distraction. We need a distraction.”

Sherlock looked into John’s pleading eyes and nodded. “Right, I’ll ask him for the address.”

“Trouble in paradise?” Sergeant Donovan said snippy.

“Shut up, Sally,” Lestrade grumbled in a stern voice.

The DI immediately noticed that something was off. Sherlock was much more agitated as usual and surprisingly didn’t seem so eager about the crime scene as well. John also seemed a little tense but remained friendly and polite as always. “Everything alright? You two are a bit off the track today,” Lestrade asked as he and John stood near the victim waiting for Sherlock to finish his examination.

“What?” John was only listening with half an ear. “No, we are fine.” Lestrade had his doubts but didn’t ask further questions, hoping John would talk to him, if he felt the need.

“I need to see the victim’s flat,” Sherlock said after finishing his investigation of the crime scene. He stood next to John, much closer than usual. It almost looked as if he would have to suppress the urge to take his partner’s hand. Usually John and Sherlock kept their relationship as private as possible, especially around the Yard. But some of the Yarders, particularly those with whom they worked together frequently, knew.

After the victim’s flat they visited his workplace. John and Lestrade questioned the staff while Sherlock investigated the victim’s bureau. He glanced around constantly, to make sure where John was. As if he was afraid the other might just disappear.

The case proved to be more difficult than originally thought and kept them occupied the whole weekend. It indeed provided the kind of distraction Sherlock and John needed. Both men engrossed themselves deeply in the investigation and keep the dark thoughts about the things to come at bay.

On Monday around lunchtime Sherlock and John stood in Lestrade’s office and presented their results. Lestrade was impressed by the level of detail and accuracy they used - double-checking some of the evidences, comprehensible documentation. In addition, both had already written their statements down. Lestrade, though happy with the results, frowned. This was all very unusual. But he did not get to question their behavior, as Sherlock already turned to go. John gave the DI an apologetic you-know-how-he-is-smile and followed suit.
“Do you want to do something special today?” Sherlock asked cautiously on their way back to Baker Street. They hadn’t talked about the surgery much in the last two days. But now as the case was over the whole subject hung over them like a sword of Damocles once again.

“I’m not allowed to eat anything after 7pm. So let’s get an early dinner afterwards at Angelo’s.”

Angelo was delighted to see them and immediately put a candle on their table. But soon he noticed the strange atmosphere between his favorite costumers (well, guests, as they never paid for their meals). Both just pick at their food without actually eating much. Angelo tried to begin a conversation, asked about the things they were up to recently but Sherlock just ignored him and John gave only brief answers. Finally Angelo left them alone but occasionally threw a worried look in their direction. John gave him a light squeeze on the shoulder as they left. “It’s fine Angelo. Just not our day today.”

They retired to bed early this evening cuddling close together and trying to give each other comfort. But Sherlock was a bit restless. John could sense that something was on his partner’s mind. “What is it?” he asked.

Sherlock stayed silent for a moment. He began stroking through John’s hair before he finally spoke. “How risky is the surgery?”

“Well, it’s a surgical procedure on a major organ,” John said but noticed that this answer was not really sufficient. He sighed. “The liver has a strong blood circulation so the biggest risk of the surgery is blood loss, especially if the tumor is grown strong together with the surrounding.” John felt Sherlock’s tension and held him a bit tighter. “They’ll be prepared for this. They’ll have units of stored blood ready should the need arise.”

They fell silent once again, both just staring into the beginning darkness of the night.

“It’ll be fine,” John whispered. He sat up a little and gave Sherlock a tender kiss. “Let’s get some sleep.” He suddenly felt very worn out. Sherlock didn’t object. He continued stroking his partner’s hair as John slowly drifted off to sleep.

Sherlock lay awake for a long time.

December 8, 2013 9:42 am  #9

Everything will be OK

4. He’ll be fine

John woke up rather early. Sherlock next to him was still asleep, which John was glad about. He suspected that Sherlock had laid awake half the night, probably brooding. John felt relatively calm. He was relieved, that the day of the surgery was finally here. He wanted to get it over with and wanted certainty about his situation.

Sherlock and John spent the morning in silence both too much lost in their own thoughts. John had packed his bag for the hospital while Sherlock tried to occupy himself with his violin. It went quite poorly. This composition would go straight into the trash. Around noon, John was glad that they were finally able to set off. He felt incredible hungry and Sherlock’s tension was making him nervous too.

They were just about to leave the flat when Sherlock had a thought. “Maybe would should have called Mrs. Hudson. I think she would like to know that you are in hospital.”

Mrs. Hudson had left to go to her sister a few days ago but left her number in any cases of emergency.

“No Sherlock, please,” John said in a hurry. “I don’t want anybody to know about the surgery.”

“Why not?”

“I … I don’t want to worry anybody.”

Sherlock looked him in the eye and understood that it was more than just that. “You don’t want pity.”

“Yes. If everything is fine, we put this behind us, and it isn’t necessary for anybody to know,” John hesitated before he continued, “If the worst case happens, pity will come soon enough.”

Sherlock flinched inwardly by the words ‘worst case’ but nodded. “Ok, I won’t tell anybody then.”

“Thanks,” John smiled and took Sherlock’s hand. “I know you are nervous but do not worry too much. I’ll be fine. The probability is on my side,” John squeezed Sherlock’s hand a bit. “Let’s go.”

They hailed a cab and John suppressed a sudden urge to look back at the front door of 221B. Don’t be silly, he scold himself. I will be back in a couple of days. Everything will be fine.

When they arrived at the hospital everything was already prepared. John felt weird about being a patient in his own workplace. Maybe he should have chosen another hospital. On the other hand, these were his colleagues and he trusted them, much more then he trusts any foreign doctors. If the outcome of the surgery was bad, he would consider going to a different hospital for therapy. But now he was fine here.

A nurse took them to John’s room and soon after he had changed into one of these nasty hospital gowns, Sean O’Mara arrived.

“Good afternoon, John. Sherlock.”

“Hello Sean,” John answered with a thin smile.

Sherlock mumbled something about this hardly being a good afternoon. John shot him a reproachful glare, but Sean just shrugged and gave them a reassuring smile. Sean had met Sherlock a couple of times and knew that he generally was not the most social person. And especially in this situation, he didn’t expect him to be.

“Everything is prepared, John,” he continued. “Any further questions?”

“No. Let’s get over with it.”

“Fine. We’ll fetch you up in a few minutes. I suppose, you don’t need something to calm?”

“Course not,” John replied with a half-hearted grin.

“OK, I’ll leave you two alone, then.”

“Can I have something to calm?” Sherlock joked lamely after Sean had left.

“No,” John said and pulled Sherlock towards him. He cupped his partner’s face in his hands, made him meet his gaze. “Stop worrying. Everything will be alright. OK? I am in capable hands here.”

Sherlock made a quiet huff at this statement. The best doctor this hospital has will be on the operating table, he thought but didn’t say anything.

“Don’t drive the doctors and nurses up the wall. Promise?”

A small grin spread over Sherlock’s face. “I’ll try.”

John pulled Sherlock even closer and they kissed. The kiss was full of desperation, sorrow and fear on both sides. Neither of them wanted to let go, but soon they heard the door open once again.

“I love you,” John whispered.

“I love you too.”

“How long will the surgery take?” Sherlock asked. He accompanied Sean and the two nurses who pushed John’s bed towards the operation area.

“It depends on how deeply the tumor has grown into the surrounding tissue.” Sean answered and Sherlock had to suppress a shudder. This was the critical part of the surgery. “But I suppose not more than two hours.”

They reached the entrance of the OP-area.

“Claire,” Sean pointed towards one of the nurses, “will show you where you can wait. I’ll come around right after the surgery is over. OK?” Sherlock nodded weakly. “We’ll take good care of him, I promise.” Then the doors went open and they drove John away.

After three hours, Sherlock was about to kill someone. Something went wrong. Images of John bleeding out on the operation table ghosting through his mind, the steady tune of a flat line ringing in his ears. When a nurse passed the door, Sherlock sprinted forward grabbing her arm firmly and demanded to know what happened to his partner. The young woman stepped back from him anxiously, tears in her eyes as she hurried away. A moment later an elder nurse entered the room and told him that the surgery was still in progress. She gave him an unmistakable warning that she would call security if he got rough against the stuff one more time.

Sherlock was left alone once again and let out a frustrated groan. He paced through the waiting room, barely able to suppress the upcoming panic. After 20 more seemingly endless minutes Dr. Sean O’Mara finally came in. Sherlock immediately tried to deduce the doctor. He looked tired. That was all. That was all he could see. Sherlock was shaken with fear so much that he was unable to make any helpful deductions about Dr. O’Mara, the surgery or John’s condition.

“What happened?” Sherlock demanded before Sean even had a chance to open his mouth. “Something went wrong. Was it the blood loss? How is he?”

“Please Sherlock, calm down,” Sean said raising his hands in a placating gesture. “Yes there had been slight complications. John lost a certain amount of blood, so a transfusion was needed. And we had some problems with his blood pressure during the surgery. But he is stable now. He is in the ICU and if he doesn’t get an infection or any further complications, he will be fine.”

Sherlock stared at Sean, trying to perceive the information the doctor just told him. Blood loss. ICU. But stable. “What about the tumor?”

“We were able to remove it completely. It has been sent to the lab. The results should be back in about three days.”

Blood loss. ICU. Stable. Tumor gone. Sherlock snapped out of his thoughts when he felt Sean’s hands on his upper arms. “Sherlock, John is going to be fine,” he said in a calming voice once again. “Come, I’ll take you to him.”

Sherlock had to disinfect his hands and put a sterile coat over his clothes before he was allowed to enter John’s room in the ICU. John was surrounded by several machines which monitored his vital signs and a drip was attached to his left arm. He was ghostly pale and looked so fragile as if he was closer to death than to life.
An overwhelming rage came over Sherlock mixed with fear. He would like to yell to someone, throw something against the wall. But he knew that he would probably get banned from hospital after that. Besides, nothing of this would help to improve his partner’s condition. So he sat by John’s bedside, trying to get his emotions under control, and took his hand, waiting for John to wake up from anesthesia. Sherlock didn’t know how much time had passed but after a while John began to stir a bit and showed signs of wakening. “John,” Sherlock said softly. “John, wake up.”

It took some more moments until John finally opened his eyes. He looked around, disoriented at first but soon realization of his situation settled in. “Didn’t go as planned?” he asked weakly. He felt tired and dizzy. His whole body felt so heavy, even keeping his eyes open was a challenge.

“No. Not exactly. You are in the ICU. You lost blood during surgery.” Sherlock said, still holding John’s hand and stroking small circles on it with his thumb.

“Told you, that could happen,” John said.

“Are you in pain?”

John shook his head slightly. “No. I’m fine.”

“You gave us a little scare, John,” Sean O’Mara said. Sherlock looked up. He hadn’t heard the other man coming in.

“I’m sorry,” John mumbled at looked at his colleague. “How much blood?”

“Just one unit. But your blood pressure went a little crazy. We had to make a small break during surgery until it stabilized.” Sean explained briefly about the tumor being removed and sent to the lab. He checked John’s vitals and left him and Sherlock alone once again.

Both men spent the afternoon mostly in silence. John was too exhausted and weak for any conversation. He dozed most of the time while Sherlock held his hand or stroked his hair. Occasionally he asked his partner if he felt any pain. But John didn’t due to strong pain killers.

In the evening, John wasn’t allowed to eat yet but managed to drink a glass of water, Sean visited his patient and friend once again. “We’ll administer a mild sedation for the night so your body can rest and regain some strength, ok?”

John just nodded. “Doing me favor, Sean?”

“Sure.”

“Ensure Sherlock goes home afterwards.”

“But John…” Sherlock began but was shut silent by a slight squeeze of his hand.

“I’ll be asleep the whole night. There is nothing you can do here. Please go home and get some rest yourself,” John said and felt so exhausted by this little speech his eyelids began to drop.

Sherlock saw the fatigue of his partner and decided not to argue with him. “OK.”

“I’ll take care of it,” Sean replied as he administered the sedative into the drip.

“Good night, see you tomorrow,” John whispered before he felt into a drug-induced sleep.

Sherlock didn’t left immediately but stayed for another hour until he finally decided to keep his promise and go home. He stroke over John’s cheeks and pressed a kiss on his partner’s forehead. Panic rushed through Sherlock’s body as he touched John’s face again. His skin felt warm. Too warm.

December 8, 2013 9:46 am  #10

Everything will be OK

5. Was it worth it?

Sherlock had pushed the call-a-nurse-button immediately and only seconds later one of the ICU nurses entered the room.

“He has a fever,” Sherlock said, still touching John’s cheek.

The nurse left and returned moments later with a thermometer. “38.1 degrees,” she said. “It’s a mild fever.”

“Your unqualified opinion whether the fever is mild is not relevant,” Sherlock barked. “Call Dr. O’Mara!”

Despite his harsh tone the nurse didn’t seem to be offended. She worked in the ICU and was confronted with upset relatives every day. She just nodded and left the room.

It took Sean O’Mara only a few minutes to arrive at the ICU. Sherlock had to leave the room while he made a brief examination. “We are going to monitor his temperature during the night,” the doctor said after the nurse had let Sherlock in again. “If it goes up, we’ll administer fever-reducing medicine and we’ll make a blood analysis in the morning.”

“Is this all? You said early, an infection could be dangerous due to the blood loss. Now he is burning up and all you want to do is wait?” Sherlock almost yelled. He didn’t care whether he disturbed other patients.

“He has a low-grade fever.” Sean replied with a calm and soothing tone. “It does happen regularly that patients develop a mild fever after an operation. In most cases, it is a side effect of the anesthesia or a stress response of the body towards the surgery. That’s why I suggested the sedative, to let his body rest after the strenuous events of today.”

Sherlock’s gaze was fixed on John, holding his hand once again. Sean wasn’t sure if the detective had heard him probably.

“Sherlock,” he said and laid his hand gently on the other man’s shoulder. “The fever is most likely not a sign of infection. The surgery is just a couple of hours ago. It would be much too early for this.”

“But it could be?”

“Yes,” Sean replied with as much struggle as he had answers John’s ‘But it could be’-question a few days ago. “Yes it could be. But it is very unlikely.”

Sherlock said nothing, just stared at John. But at least he seemed to have calmed down a little.

“Go home,” Sean suggested. “We are monitoring him closely.”

“No.” Sherlock snapped. “I’ll stay.”

“Sherlock…“

“I. Am. Not. Leaving. Him. Now.”

Sean had finally relented. Sherlock stayed the whole night. The nurse who regularly came in to check on John didn’t try to kick him out either. John’s temperature didn’t go up but stayed around 38 degrees until in the early hours of morning it finally dropped a bit.

Eventually, Sherlock had fallen asleep with his head on John’s bed, still clutching his partner’s hand. The nurse carefully shook him awake when the light of the new day already shone into the room. “Sir?” he blinked at her smiling face. “His temperature is almost back to normal, 37.0 degrees.” Sherlock glanced at John who looked indeed a bit better than the previous evening. “He’ll wake up soon,” the nurse added.

Only a few minutes later John’s eyes blinked open. It took him a moment to become fully awake but then he looked at Sherlock with frown. “I thought I told you to go home.” his voice was hoarse and sounded still weak but also annoyed.

“Why do you think I hadn’t?” Sherlock said defiantly.

“I am sick, not stupid,” John said a bit more gently now. “Your coat looks ruffled and you have an imprint on your face. Sleeping in a chair bent over with your head on my mattress is not good for your back.”

“Your observation skills are improving,” Sherlock said and couldn’t help but smile. He was relieved that John obviously felt better.

“I learned from the best,” John replied, returning the smile. “So, what happened?”

“You had a fever during the night. Around 38 degrees but it subsided in the morning.”

“Aseptic fever,” John said and nodded. “Can happen after a surgery. I experienced it after all shoulder surgeries. It’s nothing serious. Sean should have told you.”

“He did. But I was afraid you might have got an infection.” Sherlock answered and looked down at their entwined hands. “I … I was scared,” he whispered.

John said nothing. He should have scolded Sherlock for his stubbornness. But in fact, he was glad that his partner was still at his side. Though he did feel a bit better then yesterday he still felt weaker than he had for a long time. “It’s ok,” he finally said with a strained voice and stroked Sherlock’s hand.

John’s condition did not improve much during the day. He didn’t felt any pain, but was fuzzy, as if his head was full of cotton wool. Sherlock stayed with him the whole time. Occasionally he read to him from the novel that John had packed in for hospital. But again and again John dozed off.

In the afternoon, Sean O’Mara announced that John would be moved into a regular room. “Your blood values are ok, no sign of infection. Your other vitals are stable too.” John seemed to be satisfied with this decision but Sherlock wasn’t convinced.

“Wouldn’t another night at the ICU be better?”

“No Sherlock,” John said before Sean had a chance to reply. “I’m fine.”

John was moved to the room which was originally prepared for him, just before supper. He did manage a small bowl of soup but declined the bread, the first meal he was allowed to eat after the surgery.

Before his shift ended Sean visited John once again. “I spoke to the lab. We’ll get the results of the biopsy tomorrow.”

“Good,” John replied. “That’s good.” He was fed up with waiting.

“And now,” Sean said and looked expectantly first at Sherlock and then at John. “I am going to keep the promise I gave yesterday.”

John grinned slightly. “Agreed.”

“Which promise?” Sherlock asked confused but soon realized what they were talking about.

Sherlock was annoyed that Sean and John forced him to leave the hospital. Sean even accompanied him towards the exit, as if to ensure the man would indeed go. “Sherlock, John is OK for now. The recovery proceeds very well.”

“But he is still so weak and tired,” Sherlock almost whined. He would have clearly preferred to stay at his partner’s side.

“Sherlock, John’s surgery is over for barely 24 hours now. His body needs time to recover from surgery, anesthesia and the blood loss. Besides, he got strong pain killers which made him a bit dizzy additionally. We’ll change the medication tomorrow. And we will run some examinations, like a MRI scan, to control the healing.”

Sherlock immediately looked alarmed.

“These examinations are completely normal and routine after those kinds of surgery.” Sean tried to reassure him. “Sherlock, I would never have ordered to move him from the ICU if I wasn’t sure about his state.”

Sherlock fixed his gaze on Sean but he saw no dishonesty. Finally he nodded. They reached the entrance hall. “Go home, try to get some rest,” the doctor continued. He gave Sherlock a slight pat on the shoulder and left to end his work day.

Sherlock was just about to leave the hospital when he spotted two people, obviously a couple, near the exit. He couldn’t help but stop and stare at them. A young man held his girlfriend in his arms who apparently was a patient in this hospital given the drip she pushed next to her. Her age wasn’t easy to estimate due to her bare head and fragile, skinny stature. Cancer patient, Sherlock thought and observed her posture closely. No unnatural gestures or careful movements to avoid pain that indicates any surgery. Leukemia, he supposed. With a sad face the man placed several kiss on the girl’s face until he finally left the hospital. The young women took her drip and slowly walked towards the elevator.

Sherlock stared at the closing door and wondered if he and John would say goodbye to each other in the same way soon.

Sherlock wasn’t able to concentrate on anything while he was at home. He tried to set up an experiment but messed up with the ingredients, so he left the kitchen table in a mess. Television was out of question. The stupidity of the people only increased his bad mood. The violin, which usually helps him to calm his mind, didn’t work either.

At some point Sherlock decided he could as well try to get some sleep. He was exhausted by the events of the last 2 days and the few minutes he napped in the hospital chair near John’s bedside weren’t exactly restful. He expected falling asleep would be difficult but his body demanded rest as soon as his head hit the pillow. Unfortunately his mind wouldn’t calm down as quickly as his body.

They were chasing a suspect through the streets of London. Sherlock ran ahead, John following close behind. He ran around a corner but the footsteps behind him abruptly disappeared. He stopped and turned around “John?”

“Sherlock,” he heard John’s voice, hoarse and weak.

Sherlock walked around the corner and suddenly wasn’t on the street anymore but in the doorway of their bedroom. John was curled in bed. He looked pale and ill, had lost several pounds of weight.

“John!” Sherlock said and rushed to his partner’s side.

All of a sudden the scenery changed again. They were no longer in the bedroom but in a hospital room. John was still in bed and Sherlock almost stumbled back at the sight of his partner. Johns head was bald and he was hooked up to various machines and a drip. The weight loss was severe. Face and cheeks were thin, pale and emaciated, his eyes sunk deep in their sockets. John’s eyes, their sight was more shocking than anything else. His eyes, which normally were so filled with life and love, were empty, unfocused and lifeless. Sherlock grabbed John’s skinny hand. “John,” he said quietly. “John, I’m here.” The grip of John’s hand increased very slightly as a response. Sherlock smiled, but the smile disappeared immediately from his face when he realized that John's figure got more and more translucent. “Don’t leave me John,” Sherlock said, tears streaming down his face. The grip of the other man got weaker and weaker as he slowly faded away.

John looked at him at last. “I love you,” he whispered. Sherlock read the words from John’s lips. His voice was barely audible.

“John!” Sherlock screamed. “JOHN!”

Sherlock woke up, panting, gasping for air. He was drenched in sweat; his shirt clung to his body. The scream of John’s name still burned in his throat. Sherlock felt his stomach turning and just made it to the toilet before being sick. He bent several times over the bowl and vomited until his stomach finally settled. Sherlock leaned up against the bathroom wall, eyes closed and tried to calm down. It didn’t work. His breathing became faster and faster, a feeling of suffocation. His heart pounded in his chest and he was shaking all over. Sherlock knew what was happening to him, it was the beginning of an anxiety attack. He experienced some during his drug addiction and withdrawal when he had miscalculated a dose or the craving for the drug was really bad. His fists dug into his pajama pants as he desperately tried to get his breathing under control. But it only got worse. A light whimper escaped his mouth as he curled up into a ball and gave in to the panic.

Sherlock couldn’t remember falling asleep. After a while the attack abated but left him so exhausted, that he had no strength to move back to bed. Now he awoke lying on the bathroom floor still curled up and shivering from cold. He slowly rose, untangling his limps, every muscle of his body screamed in protest. His stomach hurt and he had a foul taste in his mouth. Sherlock carefully stood up but his legs were so shaky he had to sit on the rim of the bathtub for a moment and took some deep breath. After splashing some water in his face and brushing his teeth he stumbled back to the bedroom. It was hardly 6am and he felt so worn out, he desperately wanted some more sleep.

Sherlock drifted in and out of a light slumber but wasn’t able to find really restful sleep anymore. At some point he gave up, lying on his back, just staring towards the ceiling. The images of the nightmare were still present in his mind. His stomach cramped slightly at the pure thought of it.

Sherlock turned onto his right side watching the empty space of the bed beside him. He wondered whether it was a good thing that he opened up for emotions by being with John. Of course, he would also be affected by his illness if they were not a couple but just friends. But he wouldn’t hurt so much - mentally and physically - if he hadn’t broken his sociopathic shell. He wondered whether it was worth it. On the other hand he didn’t really have a choice. The love that broke his shell, his shield, had grown inside him, inside his heart long before he was aware of it and it couldn’t be removed. But at the moment fear and sorrow were so intense, so painful Sherlock almost wished to have his heart of stone back.

December 8, 2013 9:50 am  #11

Everything will be OK

6. Audrey

When Sherlock approached John’s room at about 10am he was stopped by a nurse who told him that John had been taken to his examinations and he wasn’t allowed to be present. He initially wanted to wait in John's room but then decided to go to the cafeteria. He had not eaten dinner yesterday and also no breakfast this morning. The pure thought of food made him feel nauseas again but he should probably at least try to eat something.

Sherlock sat down at a table beside the window. He sipped at a cup of tea and nibbled a few tiny pieces of a biscuit while staring out of the window. The morning was grey and rainy just like his mood. A cheerful laughter interrupted his thoughts. Sherlock looked into the direction of the unusual noise and froze. Two tables away sat the young woman and her boyfriend he had seen in the foyer yesterday, both holding hands and giggling. The woman had her bald head covered with a knitted yellow hat with sewn felt flowers on it. She was wearing similar sweatpants like yesterday and a big bright green fleece jumper.

Sherlock observed the two closely who apparently were enjoying themselves very much. The man whispered something and his girlfriend burst in such a loud laughter that half of the visitors of the cafeteria looked in their direction. She looked around with an apologetic smile, but didn’t seem to be embarrassed. After a while Sherlock resumed his staring out of the window, wondering how those two people maintain their joyfulness despite of the severe illness of the girl.

“Haven’t you been taught that it's rude to stare at other people?” someone suddenly said.

Sherlock looked up. The young woman sat down across from him. “I beg your pardon?”He was surprised, he had not noticed her coming.

“You were staring. Yesterday at the entrance hall and now here,” she replied but did not seem angry.

“I’ve been told that tact is hardly one of my strengths,” Sherlock said, still surprised about this sudden encounter. “But I apologise if I made you feel uncomfortable.”

“Oh, don’t worry, you didn’t,” she said cheerfully and took a sip of her Coke. “Who is it?” she asked. Her tone has changed and was now soft and empathic.

“Who is… who?” Sherlock was not sure what she was getting at.

“The person you worry about and who is here in hospital,” she replied and when he did not immediately answer she continued, “He or she has cancer. Am I right?”

“How… how do you know?”

“It’s the way you looked at me. Over the time I have cataloged the different types of looks. Many are curious or sympathetic, sometimes they are disgusted. And sometimes they are like yours.”

“How have I looked at you?”

“As if you wondered whether your friend will soon look like me.”

Sherlock wondered if that's how people felt when he was taking their life apart with his deductions. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling. Sherlock just nodded, remembering the dreadful image of John in his nightmare.

She smiled and continued. “It’s someone you love, isn’t it? Your wife? Oh no, you don’t wear a ring. Your girlfriend?” She tilted her head slightly while she analyzed him.

“My partner.” Sherlock replied. “John.”

“Boyfriend then,” she giggled when she saw Sherlock’s reaction of the word ‘boyfriend’ – a irritated frown, he always despised this term. “I’m Audrey by the way,” she said and held out her hand.

“Sherlock,” he replied. Her handshake was firm.

“Oh, and before you ask,” Audrey said. “No, it’s not after the famous actress.” She ignored Sherlock’s raised eyebrow (Which actress?) and continued. “My parents had a really strange kind of humor naming their daughter after a carnivorous plant.”

“A carnivorous plant?” Sherlock was confused.

“Yeah, Audrey 2 from ‘Little Shop of Horrors’. They always stress that I am named after the plant not after the flower-girl.”

Sherlock just shook his head. Plant? Flower-girl? What is she talking about?

“The musical,” Audrey said truly surprised that there was someone who didn’t know the story.

“Oh. Well, I prefer classical music.”

“Really? Pity! You should watch it, it’s really good. But try the movie. It has a better ending. I like happy endings.”

Sherlock smiled slightly. This girl was truly fascinating. Her eyes had a deep brown color which reflected curiosity and joy, passion and strength. They were full of life and had no resemblance to John’s numb eyes of his nightmare. He also noticed that she was indeed thin but not as emaciated as he thought yesterday.

“Where is your friend?” Sherlock asked, remembering that she hadn’t be alone some moments ago.

“Dave had to go to work. He usually comes by before work, so we can have something like breakfast together, just as we would normally do.”

Sherlock nodded. It seemed a nice idea, keeping some kind of normality. He usually despised this word. Normality was dull.

“It’s the clue, you know. It’s the best you can do. Keeping as much normality and everyday life as possible,” Audrey said and Sherlock felt that she analyzed him again. “That’s what you are brooding about, isn’t it? How you should cope?”

“It’s one thing. I….” he hesitated, unsure whether he should trust this strange woman with the sorrows and emotions he didn’t even understand himself. “I don’t know if I can make it. If I can be the partner John needs if he is actually sick.”

“Actually?”

“We are awaiting the biopsy results today,” he replied and couldn’t help to feel a bit guilty. At least they had still hope that it wouldn’t be cancer while she already has to live with the disease.

“Don’t worry,” Audrey said and smiled warmly. “I don’t begrudge anyone their health.”

Sherlock looked at Audrey dumbfounded. She giggled and seemed to enjoy the whole situation. But then her tone changed again, becoming gently and her face showed a sort of wise expression.”You love him, don’t you?”

“Yes,” Sherlock said and nodded.

“That’s all you two need. Be his friend, his partner, be at his side and try to bring as much normality in his life as possible. And please, at all costs, don’t be overprotective and …”

“No pity,” Sherlock interrupted her, remembering his conversation with John before they left for the hospital.

“Correct,” Audrey replied, determination in her voice. “I can handle anger or sadness. Because people are angry or sad that fate chose me. They are angry or sad for my sake, for me as a person. Pity is much worse than the poison they pump into my body here. Pity reduces me to my illness. But I am still more than the cancer. I am still Audrey.” She felt silent for a moment, giving Sherlock the opportunity to think about her words. “And John will still be John,” she continued. “Do you think he would like to be treated differently than now? Do you think he wants to be treated like a sick person?”

“No. Never!” Sherlock tilted his head, looking in the face of the young woman who gave him a warm and honest smile. “You are an extraordinary person.”

Audrey laughed. “I might appear cheerful to you considering my condition. But don’t get me wrong. There are bad days, really bad days, in which I puke my guts out and drowning in self-pity because everything seemed too much. But Dave and my family are with me. He reminds me that all the fighting is worth it. And sometime he needs to give me a good kick in the ass.”

They both smiled and stayed silent for a while. Audrey was right. John wouldn’t want to be treated differently. He would try his best to keep going on as normal as possible. Sherlock was sure he could handle that. Besides he had never been the type to pity others.

“Now, if you would excuse me,” Audrey said after taking a brief look onto the clock on the wall. “I have to go. I have an invitation to a cocktail party,” she said with a slightly grim smile. Then her face softened. “I hope your friend will be alright.”

“Thank you Audrey. Thank you for… telling me this,” Sherlock struggled. He didn’t really know what to say, but he was grateful.

Audrey seemed to notice Sherlock’s insecurity. She smiled “Just wish me luck,” she said, winked at him briefly and left.

“With all my heart,” Sherlock replied but he wasn’t sure if she had heard him.

December 8, 2013 9:54 am  #12

Everything will be OK

7. Two sides of the coin

After his conversation with Audrey, Sherlock felt a lot better. He was still worried, but he no longer had the feeling of drowning in his sorrow.

John sat upright in bed; the head section of the bed was adjusted to give him a comfortable position. He flipped through a paper when Sherlock entered the room and smiled. “Sorry you had to wait. I’m a man in demand at the moment.”

“So I heard. You enjoyed the morning?” Sherlock said and was relieved seeing John in a joyful mood.

“Oh yes. I had a nice flirt with the radiology assistant. Nice girl.”

“I am sure she is absolutely dull,” Sherlock replied with a tiny hint of jealousy. John’s grin grew wider.

“Compared to you, definately.”

John smiled his warm smile that Sherlock loved so much. He sat down next to John on his bed, softly stroking his partner’s cheeks. John looked a lot better today. His face regained some colour and his posture showed much more energy. “How are you feeling?” Sherlock asked after a proper kiss.

“Better. Still a bit tired, but much better.”

“How were the examinations?”

“Good,” John replied. “Scans were normal, no signs of complications.”

“The biopsy?”

“Sean said he would get the results this afternoon.”

Sherlock nodded. He felt fear rising inside him again by the thought of what they might learn today but tried to remember the things Audrey told him. He met John’s gaze – warm and gentle and soothing. It’ll be alright.

Sherlock looked on the paper John had been reading. “The Sun? Really, John!”

“I am not exactly fit enough for the heavy stuff. I would probably have fallen asleep half way through the first article of ‘The Guardian’. Besides...” John opened the paper again. “It can be quite entertaining.”

Sherlock and John spent the rest of the morning flipping through the paper. Sherlock pointed out (several times) how dull, boring and stupid this sensationalist writing is. (“It’s called yellow press, Sherlock.”). They were bickering and giggling and a few times John had to try really hard not laughing out loudly, because that would certainly hurt.

After lunch, John felt very tired again and wanted to sleep for a moment. “You should try to take a nap also,” he said, the dark bags under Sherlock’s eyes were not gone unnoticed. “You look tired.”

“I’m fine.” Sherlock replied and settled himself in the chair next to the bed to give John space to sleep.

John woke up about two hours later. Sherlock still sat in the chair, looking out of the window, almost apathetic. He was so lost in his thoughts he did not noticed that John had woken up. John watched his partner closely who obviously hadn’t napped. Besides the dark circles under his eyes, Sherlock looked exhausted the way he sat slumped in the chair. Sorrow and pain were written all over his face. John suddenly realized how alone his partner must have felt in the last couple of days and how much he probably had suffered due to John’s state. John cursed inwardly. Yes, they were a couple for a while now. But he knew very well how hard it still was for Sherlock to deal with his emotions. And now he had allowed that his partner went through hell without anybody there to help him. “I am sorry, Sherlock,” he said with a lump in his throat.

“Wha… What?” Sherlock said, turning towards him, trying to regain his composure he let down during John’s sleep.

“I am sorry,” John repeated and reached out for Sherlock’s hand.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Sherlock almost snapped. He felt insecure not knowing what John was getting at. “What should you be sorry about?” he said a bit more gently.

“I left you alone with all of this,” John replied. “You had to go through this emotional chaos all alone.”

“Well, you weren’t exactly fit enough in the last two days to discuss my… emotional state.” Sherlock said, the last two words spoken in slight sarcastic tone. He was angry at himself for letting his defenses down.

“Yeah, true,” John said and smiled sadly. “But I should allow you to talk to someone about it.”

Sherlock shrugged. “I would not have talked to anyone anyway. You know I am not good with this.”

“You would have, at least with Mrs. Hudson.”

Sherlock stayed silent for a moment, remembering the dreadful nightmare and the anxiety attack and how much better he felt after the talk with Audrey. “Maybe,” he finally admitted.

“Well, I am here now,” John said taking both of Sherlock’s hands in his own and looked him in the eyes. “Please don’t shut yourself up. You don’t have to be strong for me. I used to be a soldier, you know. I am used to fighting.” John gave Sherlock a moment to let his words sink in. “We are going through this together, no matter what happens.”

You love him, don’t you?’ Audrey had asked him and he fully understands the meaning of her words now. ’That’s all you two need.’ Sherlock squeezed John’s hands and nodded. “Together,” he replied almost solemnly.

Despite his new found confidence, Sherlock instantly tensed up as soon as Sean O’Mara entered the room. Like the other day, he was not able to deduce anything about the doctor’s mimic or gesture. He smiled, yes, he saw that but he was not able to observe the meaning behind the smile. Sherlock felt blind, as if someone had put an invisible curtain between him and the rest of the world which block off any deductive attempts. His stomach contracts painfully and he felt as if he would be sick again. John on the other hand was calm, completely calm, not even a glimpse of nervousness but, as always he sensed his partners feelings. He took Sherlock’s hand and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Your scans this morning were splendid. No sign of infection. And the wound is healing nicely,” Sean begun.

“What about the biopsy?” Sherlock interrupted in a low voice feeling on the edge of collapsing.

Sean’s smile spread into a wide grin. “Benign. I told you it would be. It was an adenoma, just like I suspected. No further treatment necessary.”

“Thank you, Sean,” John said and took a deep breath. “When can I go home?”

“Well,” Sean hesitated a moment. “Normally, I would like to keep you in over the weekend. But, as you are a doctor yourself AND when you promise to be careful and rest, then I am willing to release you tomorrow afternoon.”

John smiled and nodded. “I promise to behave.”

“He will,” Sherlock said. His voice was husky and his face a kaleidoscope of emotions - shock, relief, exhaustion, joy.

“Come here,” John whispered after Sean had left. Sherlock almost threw himself into an embrace. He nuzzled his face into John’s neck and held him tight. A quiet sob escaped him and he felt tears running down his face. Terrible useless things! Especially now. John was fine! Why did he cry?

“Shhhhh,” John whispered and had to suppress a sob himself as relieve washed over him and he finally understood what he had just learned. “It’s OK, Sherlock. I’m OK! Everything will be OK!”

They stayed silent for a while holding each other in their tight embrace. John occasionally stroking his fingers through Sherlock’s hair.

“Sorry,” Sherlock said when they finally split apart and looked at each other again. His eyes were red and puffy and he felt a bit embarrassed.

“Don’t worry,” John said whipping away some tears from his partner’s as well as his own face. “Sometimes happiness doesn’t go without tears.”

That reminded Sherlock of something John said to him once, after their first big row when Sherlock had difficulties coping with his negative feelings. He was angry and sad about the fight and almost panicked that John would leave him. Then John had hugged him too.

“There is no cherry-picking when it comes towards emotions. You get the whole package – joy and sorrow, happiness and sadness, laughter and anger. Two sides of a coin. They go together like light and dark.”

“Hey!” John said stroking over Sherlock’s cheeks once again. “Stop brooding.”

“I’m not brooding,” Sherlock said and smiled. “I just thought how much I’m looking forward to taking you home tomorrow.”

“Yeah, snoozing on the couch, watching a DVD, sounds like paradise after all this madness.”

“Well, I think I have already something in mind, we could take a look at.”

“YOU want to watch a movie?”

Sherlock grinned “Do you know the ‘Little Shop of Horrors?’”

- The End –

Author’s note:

I have no medical profession. All medical facts described in this story based on an internet research. If anyone noticed serious mistakes, don't hesitate to contact me (well, after you know how I am).

Thank you very much to my two beta-readers
shouldbestudying and kittykat for their help!!!

December 10, 2013 5:57 am  #13

Happy Holidays, Harry!

Author's note: Dear Harry, your prompt was “comedy, maybe also romance, no opposite sex pairings”. I've postulated an established, but still fresh relationship between John and Sherlock and really, really hope you like the result. :-)

Extract from Sherlock Holmes' mental diary

24th November

Christmas is coming – again. Crime rate will drop, people will pretend to love each other, shops will be filled with annoying children and even more annoying parents. Loath it! Glad I can stay away from it like every other year.

1st December

My former assessment turned out to be wrong. Apparently, Christmas is essential when in a romantic relationship, as I have been informed just now. Will have to take part in several Christmas activities. John can be glad that my love for him is endless.

2nd December

221b has been “redecorated”. Tried to be understanding and asked John very concernedly how a bomb could have exploded inside the box with Christmas decorations and if anybody got hurt. Got a slight slap on my cheek for it by Mrs Hudson. And a mince pie.

It took me two hours to find out that there is a Christmas tree underneath the heap of decorations next to the fireplace. Judging from the overall looks of the flat, I am forced to live inside a Lewis Carroll novel now.

3rd December

Humming Christmas melodies out of tune when your flatmate is around is highly disturbing. I tried to do a good deed by pointing that out. Unfortunately, John is not very open to my invaluable effort to improve his social skills. He just hums louder.

4th December

Found out the purpose of mistletoe at an otherwise boring crime scene today. Appreciated it. Appreciated it several times, in fact. John approved.

5th December

Apparently, buying 34 sprigs of mistletoe and arranging them in a pattern so they cover every spot in the flat is cheating. John laughed at me with this strange, touching laugh that does not hurt. Afterwards he appreciated my actions in several different rooms anyway. I could start to like Christmas.

6th December

Been forced to join Lestrade and his minions in a dispensable social gathering the day after tomorrow. Its only purpose seems to be mixing a lack of vocal skills with ridiculous poetry. Flatly refused when first asked, but John used unfair methods to persuade me of going with him.

Note to self: Don't allow him to discuss things like that while he cuddles my head.

7th December

Am not allowed to call it “dispensable social gathering”. Must use term “Christmas Carol Singing” or will incur John's wrath. Spend the whole day saying sentences that include the phrase “Christmas Carol Singing”, always increasing the amount of sarcasm in my voice. Again, John played unfair. How am I supposed to express my disdain with his tongue in my mouth?

8th December

Not sure if the dreaded “Christmas Carol Singing” has been a disaster or not. Hearing twelve people sing out of tune for nearly twenty minutes insulted my skilled musical ears. Commented on that after developing a severe headache. Used non-Christmas words to express everyone's level of incompetence. Donovan challenged me to prove that I could do better. I did. Everybody was silent after my solo performance of O Little Town of Bethlehem and O Come O Come Emmanuel. John was looking at me with a funny expression. Could have been admiration, mixed with heavy feelings. Or maybe he is developing a cold. Every one else was quiet for nearly three minutes afterwards. Don't quite understand why.

9th December

John wants us to write Christmas cards. I objected. He ignored me. Now he is writing a list with people he wants us to write to. I am supposed to do the same. My list so far: Peter Bryan, George Chapman, Thomas Neil Cream, John George Haigh. John is surprised that I am suddenly content with the task.

10th December

Dratted Internet. John found out that I've only written the names of famous serial killers on my list. Have to paint hearts and Christmas trees and little garlands on all fifty-eight cards he wrote now or will not be kissed until Christmas Eve.

11th December

Eggnog is the epitome of evil. Am not going to comment on it any further.

12th December

Apparently, watching Christmas films is another integral part of the Christmas season. Bargained hard with John until I was allowed to chose the films. Wonder if he will like “The Long Kiss Goodnight” better or “8 Women” or “Rocky IV”.

13th December

Been informed that none of them made appropriate Christmas films. So, unfortunately, John was forced to snog me the entire time in order to prevent himself from watching them. I think they made wonderful Christmas films.

Also been informed that Christmas presents have been bought for me. Spend eight hours of deducing what they would be. John spent eight hours pretending that I'm being wrong all the time. Couldn't figure out when he was telling the truth and when not. He's amused now. I'm not.

14th December

Been informed by Molly that I'm supposed to buy John presents as well. Panicked.

15th December

Deduced several perfect presents for John after the panic attack. Feeling better now. Need to buy them soon.

16th December

Banned from Harvey Nichols. Apparently parents don't appreciate strangers telling their six year old daughter about the true meaning of Christmas (Roman Saturnalia, killing an innocent person at random as a scapegoat, and so on).

17th December

Banned from Fenwick's. It might not only be people's reservations against the pagan origins of Christmas, but also their objection against graphic descriptions of how the Roman scapegoat was killed.

18th December

Banned from Harrod's. Apparently parental wrath is inversely proportional to children's age.

19th December

Banned from Fortnum and Mason. This is getting ridiculous.

20th December

John tries to make me talk about why I get repeatedly banned from shops during Christmas time. Suspects a deeper reason than “because people are idiots”. Made up a touching story about getting lost inside Fortnum and Masons as a child. He nearly bought it.

Note to self: Don't force out a tear when lying to John. He might not be a genius, but he has learned to tell faked tears from real ones.

21st December

John has set up several traps to make me “talk about my Christmas feelings”. The first two (“Lull Sherlock with boring stories of other people” and “Talk about your own childhood first before imploring Sherlock's childhood further”) were too easy to avoid. The third one (“Kiss Sherlock until his brain lacks oxygen”) was trickier, but I succeeded in getting away of course. Nearly gave in to the fourth one (“The Puppy Dog Look”). Must be careful not to look at John's face for too long in the near future!

22nd December

John does not play fair. Completely underestimated his wickedness and was hence made to talk about Christmas Past. His method was mean but efficient. He hugged me without warning, dragged me down to the sofa and held me until I felt safe. That bugger. Felt so safe that I've told him about all childhood Christmases I could remember.

Apparently there is something wrong with our fireplace, for it must have been the smoke that made my eyes stingy. When I was finished talking, John was quiet for a long time. His eyes were also affected by the smoke from the fireplace it seemed.

Stayed on the sofa together for an unreasonable amount of time, reluctant to get out of John's arms. He will have a sore back tomorrow, but somehow it is all his own fault anyway.

23rd December

John is unusually quiet today and keeps cuddling me regularly. The former is a bit disturbing, but the later holds many benefits. It could be a trick to make me talk about sad childhood memories more often. If it is, it is working. I loath John's social competence.

24th December

I am in a relationship with the evil master of manipulation. I am not sure yet whether to admire his skills or to detest them. John baited me into a cab under the pretence of taking me to a brutal crime scene, knowing I could not resist that during the Christmas crime recession. Realized too late that we were heading towards Putney Vale Cemetery instead.

But not only did John bait me to Mummy's grave, he invited Mycroft in as well. In the beginning I only behaved because John was holding my hand. Didn't feel like talking. Of course, neither did Mycroft. After a while, John left us alone.

Then, Mycroft might or might not have placed his hand on my shoulder after some time, and I might or might not have accepted that. I also might or might not have leaned closer so we were practically standing arm in arm. Later, I might or might not have told him I was glad he was there with me, and he might or might not have said that he loved me.

25th December

Finally it's Christmas. John attached a colourful ribbon to my hair, claiming me “his most favourite present”. I love him.

No need to elaborate on that day any further.

December 12, 2013 5:37 am  #14

Happy Holidays, Alyxpoe!

Dear Alyxpoe,

This little fic is for you! I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I did enjoy writing it – although I have to admit that Vampires and AU aren’t really what I had expected. ;-)

But nevertheless, you asked for Johnlock, Vampires and AU – and this is it. But be warned: I cheated a bit with those Vampires, and it’s only slightly AU, and it’s also my very first Sherlock fanfic.

Enjoy!

Another First Encounter

When Sherlock arrived at the crime scene, Detective Inspector Lestrade was already waiting for him.

“So, Detective Inspector… you finally decided to invite me in on this”, Sherlock said, his eyes focusing on the body lying before him on the floor.

“Finally, what do you mean, finally?”, Lestrade asked.

“Well, Detective Inspector, four weeks ago a dead Klingon at a Star Trek Convention, two months prior to that a Hobbit drew his last breath at a Lord of the Rings Convention. And now a vampire is lying dead at a Fantasy gathering. I’m sensing a pattern here, wouldn’t you agree?”, the Consulting Detective explained, matter of factly. Before Lestrade could even think of an answer, Sherlock continued: “And who is he?”

With that, he motioned to a short man with blonde hair who was standing in a corner of the otherwise empty conference room. Lestrade indicated for the man to join them, and while he slowly walked towards them with a slight limp, the Inspector explained: “He is with the Paramedics team that’s assigned to the Convention. His name is John Watson, he’s a former army doctor who…”

“Yes, I can see that”, Sherlock interrupted, turned to the doctor and asked: “Have you come to any conclusions yet?”

“I beg your pardon…?”, was John Watsons irritated reply. Sherlock impatiently rolled his eyes and said: “Oh God, you certainly have been here long enough, staring at the body? Any conclusions?”

John Watson swallowed hard, then answered: “Well, the most important conclusion would be: He’s dead, stabbed in the back, no bite visible. Not really a very real vampire, I would say.”

Sherlock couldn’t help but to smirk. He now looked closer at the man, who was in his early forties, who had either been in Afghanistan or Iraq and who had a psychosomatic limp.

“A very accurate observation. Anything else?”, Sherlock asked.

“I thought they specifically called you to find out about anything else.” John Watson gave Sherlock a somewhat quizzical look, but the tall man with the curly hair had already turned back to the dead… vampire. After a few minutes of examining the body, he said to Lestrade: “You and your people will have to talk to every single… vampire out there. Let me know if you find anything of value.”

---------------

A few days later, Sherlock and John Watson met again in Lestrade’s office. Sherlock asked some more questions, John gave some more answers, and Sherlock grew more and more fascinated by the man who seemed startlingly unimpressed be Sherlock’s… Sherlockness. Admitted, John was surprised, fascinated, amazed when Sherlock effortlessly deduced him from head to toes, then again who wouldn’t be? But this was enjoyably (yes, enjoyably!) new: John wasn’t appalled by it or cynical about it, on the contrary. He didn’t hesitate to blurt out: “Extraordinary. Quite… extraordinary!”

It only took Sherlock a few minutes to know everything he needed to know about John Watson – or so he thought. But granted, the most important finding about the doctor right at that moment was: He was looking for a flat. And Sherlock was looking for a flat mate. And John was… well, acceptable, very acceptable. As acceptable a flat mate Sherlock could ever hope to find, even he, who didn’t do emotions and sentiment, realized this in a split second. And curiously he wasn’t so sure – and usually he was sure about everything! – whether or not ‘acceptable’ really was an… acceptable word to describe John Watson.

---------------

They met in front of 221B Baker Street the next evening. When they stepped into the living room, Sherlock took off his coat. John couldn’t help but notice the tight white shirt, the braces stretching across it, Sherlock’s lean and at the same time inviting body.

‘Hell, what’s wrong with you?’, John thought to himself and frantically tried to concentrate on something else, on the fire place (sitting in front of it next to Sherlock…), the leather sofa (being slouched on it with Sherlock…), the kitchen (standing at the sideboard with Sherlock pressing his body against John’s from behind), the bathroom with its washing machine (sitting on it with Sherlock… oh God… Oh God Yes!).

“John, is something wrong with you?”, Sherlock asked and stepped a little closer. Close enough for John to smell Sherlock’s hair, to be tempted to touch those ridiculously curly curls, to unstrap those braces…

“No, I’m fine, it’s all fine”, John somehow managed to answer. Sherlock looked at him closely, and John knew he needed to say something now, or otherwise…

“Uhm… how did you know my limp was psychosomatic?”, he asked.

“Well, for starters, I was pretty sure you hadn’t fallen off a horse”, Sherlock said.

“Pretty sure…? Well, I don’t really know anything about you, but ‘pretty sure’ doesn’t quite sound like you.”

“But no horse.”

“No horse, true. Riding a horse isn’t really… you know… uhm…”

Okay, that was it. John had to get a grip on himself. Whatever it was that was going on here, it had to stop, John had to make it stop. He clearly wasn’t himself, and he had no idea why. Well, that was not entirely true, he had an idea, a pretty good idea, for that matter. But going there probably wasn’t such a good idea, so he simply had to stop…

“John, stop it”, Sherlock said.

“Stop…what?”, John asked, surprised, nervous.

“Stop pretending you haven’t noticed.”

“Noticed? What?”

“Me, John”, Sherlock said, impatience resonating in his voice.

“What about you?”, John asked, breaking Sherlock’s gaze and trying to take a step back. But Sherlock was faster, he wouldn’t let him, he just grabbed John by his arms and drew him in even closer instead.

“I hate to admit it, but I don’t really know, John. I just know it’s because of you. And I know how you just looked at me when I took off my coat”, Sherlock said, his voice being a mere whisper now.

“Sherlock, I didn’t… I mean, I just happened to…”

“John, I know. I also just happened to…”

And with that Sherlock brought up his right hand to John’s face, then slowly, carefully caressed the doctor’s cheek, ear, nose, lips and finally – and later he wasn’t able to determine where he took the courage from to do something so unlike himself – brought his own lips to John’s mouth and kissed him. Kissed him for seconds or minutes or hours, neither of them would have been able to tell. And John kissed Sherlock back, cautiously at first, then more and more demanding, then again tender and hot, then all at once and even more.

When their lips finally parted, Sherlock felt as if he had known John Watson for all of his life. And John felt as if Sherlock had been there with him in Afghanistan, as if he had been there with John all along.

“Quite extraordinary”, John sighed, knowing just too well that those were two of the first words he had ever said to Sherlock.

“Oh god yes”, Sherlock said breathlessly, having no idea that he had just vocalized what John felt deep inside of himself.

“I don’t even know you”, John said. Sherlock smiled and answered: “I’d like to say the same about you, but… well, that would be a lie.”

“Show-off…”, John said.

“My John…”, Sherlock retorted.

“Shut up!”

“Make me…”

And after that, no more words were spoken in 221B Baker Street for a very long time. And it was all fine.

December 14, 2013 11:52 am  #15

Happy Holidays, Marva!

Prompt: John, Sherlock, texting, getting drunk

SUSPECT MET BUYER AT GOLDEN LION. NEED TO INTERVIEW BARTENDER. MEET ME THERE - SH

Sherlock I am at work. Text Lestrade.

LESTRADE WON’T CHAT UP BARTENDER FOR INFORMATION. NEED YOU - SH

Neither will I.

FINE I CAN CHAT UP THE BARTENDER MYSELF - SH

I’d pay to see that

YOU CAN PAY FOR ALL THE DRINKS - SH

Wait, Sherlock, why are you buying drinks? It’s 3 in the afternoon.

JOHN! I DELETED TEQUILA! – SH

APPARENTLY ONE MUST DRINK TEQUILA WITH LEMON AND SALT. WHY JOHN?? – SH

Sherlock, for god’s sake, you don’t need to do shots to get information from the bartender! Just nurse a beer!

WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE BEER? – SH

Huh?

WHY DOES IT NEED A NURSE? – SH

You’re lucky I’m not there right now I’d punch you. Stop texting me I need to work

JOHN! EVERYONE GETS FRIENDLY WHEN YOU DRINK TEQUILA. WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS? – SH

You don’t care about friendly. What did you get from the bartender?

And I said stop texting me I’m working!

SHE DOESN’T KNOW ANYTHING. SHE KEEPS LOOKING AT MY SHIRT. AM INTEGORATING PATRONS – SH

JOHN YOU SHOUD BE HERE SH

GOINGG HOME NOW. YOU THER? SH

JOHNTHESKULLISPLOTIGTOKILUS - SH

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON SH

“Sherlock? SHERLOCK!? Where are you?” John calls as he rushes up the stairs. He hadn’t checked his phone after his last text until he was on the way home. To say he’s concerned would be an understatement – Sherlock never drinks.

“Jhn…room won’t stay schtill,” comes a mumbled reply and a groan from the body half-hidden under the sofa cushions on the floor.

“Jesus, Sherlock, how much did you drink?” John crosses the room to Sherlock and tries to lift him bodily off the floor. Sherlock offers no assistance and flops around like a fish; John barely prevents a flailing fist from making painful contact with his groin.

“Fine you can stay down there. Seriously, what did you drink?”

“Jawn…you were sposed t’be there t’make the people stop…peopling. They made me singggg! I d’no ‘ny shongz.”

“You sang?”

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm”

“….Please tell me someone videoed that.”

“Mmm? Oh yeh, hair-man did, on my phone.” Sherlock fumbles in his pockets for his phone, which is sitting on the floor midway between the kitchen and the coffee table.

“I’ve got it Sherlock” John smirks, finding the video and hitting play. Sherlock is sitting on the bar, singing “My Old Man’s A Dustman” and getting the words, the tune, and the notes completely wrong. None of the other patrons seem to care – they’re all singing along anyway. John quietly emails the file to himself (and Lestrade), knowing Sherlock will delete it as soon as he’s sober.

“John” Sherlock says, quite firmly

“Yes, Sherlock?”

“You’re my besht friend, John”

John smiles, his irritation at the knowledge that Sherlock is going to be impossible with a hangover temporarily replaced with a warm glow at the words.

“John?”

“Yes, Sherlock?”

“Thank… you”

“You’re my best friend too, Sherlock” he replies

The next morning…

COME HOME IMMEDIATELY EMERGENCY – SH

I’m at work again Sherlock, what’s the emergency?

MY BRAIN NO LONGER FITS INSIDE MY SKULL – SH

Ah, yeah, that’s because your old man’s a dustman. Take some aspirin

MY FATHER WAS A DIPLOMAT JOHN, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? WHERE IS THE ASPIRIN?

Aspirin is in the bathroom with all the other first aid supplies. Check the video on your phone.

YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO BE AT WORK WHEN A WITNESS NEEDS TO BE INTERROGATED IN A BAR. – SH

I’VE DELETED THAT INFERNAL VIDEO – SH

That’s okay, I already emailed it to myself and Lestrade

I FOUND THE ASPIRIN. I AM NOW CONDUCTING AN EXPERIMENT INVOLVING CORROSIVE ACID, JAM AND YOUR JUMPERS!

Several weeks later

HOW QUICKLY WOULD A 105KG MAN DEVELOP HYPOTHERMIA? – SH

Well, that depends on a number of factors. Why? I’m out with some mates tonight, do you need me?

WHAT FACTORS? – SH

AND NO - SH

Well, the temperature, type of exposure, how warm his clothing is, if he’s got any shelter. It’s not an equation

NOT HELPFUL – SH

Sue me

Wot kind o name is SHELOCK anyway?

IT’S SHERLOCK, AND IT’S MY NAME. ARE YOU DRUNK? – SH

Prolly. I text you a lot

PROLLY?? HONESTLY, JOHN - SH

Shit, sorry Sherlock. Barry stole my phone.

I SEE – SH

Seriously, Sherlock. You’re my friend. I love your name.

EITHER THIS BARRY STILL HAS YOUR PHONE, OR YOU ARE MUCH MORE DRUNK THAN YOUR TYPING COMPETENCE WOULD IMPLY – SH

Maybe a little yes

cant find my keyspls letm e in?

DO YOU HAVE A VIDEO OF YOU SINGING AT THE PUB ON YOUR PHONE? – SH

No?

THEN NO. – SH

December 15, 2013 11:45 am  #16

Happy Holidays, Solar!

I hope you will enjoy the fluff 

Many thanks to my beta-readers shouldbestudying and teaEarlGreyhot. You both did a wonderful job!

Whatever works

Everything started on that very evening in mid November when I came home from a truly nerve wrecking day at the hospital. I climbed up the stairs of 221B Baker Street, anticipating the five days off ahead of me and longing for nothing more than some quiet time in my armchair. But of course my wish was doomed right from the beginning.

When I entered the living-room, I found Sherlock standing in the middle of it, with a suitcase, staring at a pair of plane tickets. “Go on John and pack your luggage” he said without even looking up at me.

“What?” was all I managed to blurt out. He raised his head in bewilderment. “John” he said slowly as if I was mentally disabled “we will be at a professional conference for three days, so you will need your suitcase. The plane will take off in just a few hours.” 

“Sherlock, please!” I sighed. “I just came home from a disastrous day at work; I am looking forward to enjoying my much deserved days off and now you tell me something about a plane and a suitcase I have to pack?”

“Exactly”

“What?”

“That’s exactly what just happened. You are really getting good in observing.”

I sighed again, more heavily this time. “Yes, but what I need now is context. Context, Sherlock! Why would I pack my suitcase? Where is this mysterious plane heading to? What the hell does that all mean?”  

Sherlock’s eyes which stared at me the whole time in a most scary and penetrating manner softened considerably during my speech.

“Right” he nodded, “I didn’t tell you about the conference yet.”

I rolled my eyes.

“The American Academy of Forensic Sciences has invited me as a guest speaker to their next conference” he explained. “It seems that finally someone has recognized the importance of tobacco ash” he added with a smirk.

I breathed deeply. It seemed that, after all, we got closer to the facts. “Fine, alright, a conference. I see. You were invited. Good for you. But what does this have to do with me?”

“Isn’t that obvious, John? You are going with me. I am afraid of flying!”

And that’s why, instead of enjoying some trash TV and a few pints of beer, I found myself on a plane soon after. Just that I had to hold hands with Sherlock was something that I did not entirely comprehend.

I don’t think I have to explain how uncomfortable I felt, sitting in my Business Class seat next to Sherlock and holding hands with him. A lot of the other passengers were still squeezing their way through the narrow aisle and quite a few of them looked at us, bemused and obviously a little embarrassed too.

“Sherlock, why precisely are we holding hands?”

Sherlock’s forehead was pressed against the little window, he frowned. “I am afraid of flying, John, I already told you.”

“But holding hands will not prevent the plane from crashing” I replied. I can also be smarty-pants, sometimes.

“I think I am going to die, John.”

All of a sudden I felt sorry for that usually very proud and confident man next to me. To show a weakness surely was not easy for him. And his voice was thick of fear; his eyes were wandering around anxiously now as if he was checking that everything was going according to schedule.

“It’s alright, Sherlock” I said appeasing, patting his forearm with my free hand. I also had to confess to myself that I felt somehow flattered: Sherlock Holmes the genius, who usually didn’t even bring himself to shake hands with other people, was soothed by my very presence and more than that by physical contact with me.

So I decided to come to terms with my fate for once and to stand the strange looks we got from our neighbours and even from some of the stewards (homophobic bastards, all of them!).

By the time we finally arrived in Atlanta, USA, my whole body was stiff from sitting in the same position because Sherlock didn’t let go of my hand for the entire flight. He spent the whole time digging his fingernails into his seat (and into my hand), Sherlock looked quite exhausted after the flight, so we just jumped into the first cab we could find and shortly after arrived at the hotel he had booked.

You can imagine that at that point I craved for nothing more than a soft, warm bed and some peace and privacy. Well, while my first wish became reality the second one got spoiled by the fact that Sherlock obviously booked only one room. One double room.

“Sherlock, why on earth would you do that?” I exclaimed when I found out, not being able to hide the huff in my voice. Gosh! Nothing, just nothing could ever be easy or “normal” with this man.

But Sherlock was puffed up. “We are friends!”

“Yes, right, Sherlock” Jesus, I was just so tired, and tired of explaining the most basic rules of social behaviour over and over again. “We are friends, but that does not mean we have to sleep in the same room.”

“Or in the same bed” I added indignantly as I just realized that this was exactly what we were going to do. Sleep in the same bed. 

Not that this is happening for the first time. Of course I remember Baskerville and also some other occasions. Sometimes, I think it is better not to over-analyse or over-interpret these things, making it easier to keep consistent with your (hetero) sexual identity.    

Then, what happened was the following: we changed into our pyjamas, laid down in our bed, each of us tidily wrapped in his own blanket on his own side of the bed, of course, and Sherlock grabbed my hand.

I was surprised, to say the least.

Wow.

I mean: why?

No, I mean: why didn’t I already pull my hand away?

“Sherlock?”

“Hmm?”

“Why did you just do that? Grab my hand?”

“Don’t know. Just felt… good when we did it on the plane.”

“Oh.”

There was silence and I didn’t even know if the situation was awkward or not. I mean, if it is awkward you should also feel awkward, right? But maybe it is also awkward not to feel awkward? Hell, this thought was leading nowhere.

“Problem?”

I cleared my throat.

“Well…no, I guess it is fine.”

That night, although being dead tired, I stayed awake for hours on end, my heart beating in my throat, and my fingertips on Sherlock’s hand prickling with joy.

The next day something seemed to have changed. I got up and I felt strong and energized, in spite of everything that had happened the day before and the whole world seemed to be covered with gleam. I remembered the time in Afghanistan when I got a little too much morphine after my bullet wound. The feeling was quite similar. This time, I blamed it on the slight jetlag.

During our breakfast in the dining-hall, Sherlock kept deducing everything and everyone around us. I hung on his lips, because he is brilliant. He really is, isn’t he? Actually, I don’t remember too much of what he said, but I do remember his face, so full of self-confidence, and pride over my admiration. And his smile, he smiled a lot that morning.

We finally arrived at the conference, the destination of the whole trip. We listened to lectures about new developments in forensic sciences and in the breaks Sherlock met lots of people who all seemed to know him already. He introduced me as his partner and for once I didn’t object, despite the ambiguity. I just followed him around, like I always do.

That’s how the days were passing: Sherlock spent the time impressing me and everyone else with his not deniable cleverness and I felt an immature gratification as I was the only one he let to be in his close vicinity. During the nights we were holding hands. It was perfect.

On the last day of the conference, Sherlock finally held his long-awaited presentation about his 200-something types of ash. It comes with no surprise that he gloriously fulfilled all expectations and that he was praised to the limit afterwards.

But when we came back to the hotel for our last stay there, he seemed to be not only very pleased, but also a little nervous. I explained that with the approaching flight the next day he would be anxious. With hindsight, I was probably wrong.

I woke up in the night after restless sleep. Sherlock was awake too, he was lying on his side facing me and his eyes fixed on my face. I gazed back, too tired and confused to say anything.

“I want to kiss you,” Sherlock said eventually.

His voice was firm, though scratchy, just a little.

“Sherlock…” I started. My heart was beating like a drumfire. My brain was empty. I awaited the feeling of disgust, anger, or even horror.

“Sherlock, we can’t do this.”

“Why not?” He sounded alarmed.

“Because…” I swallowed. “Don’t you understand? We are not gay. At least I’m not. No idea about you. This is just something I can’t do.”

“John” His voice was saturated with sweet tenderness now, letting shivers running down my spine.

“John, I never had the urge to kiss or to be physically close to anybody in the world, except you. I don’t know if that makes me gay or not and I don’t care. It is just a label. All I know right now” he swallowed “is that I want to kiss you, so badly.”

I swallowed too and all of a sudden I realized that the feeling that was growing inside me more and more was not disgust, as I assumed before, but desire. My lips parted as I breathed deeply. I saw Sherlock’s face in front of me; it was closer now than before. I closed my eyes and at the same moment I felt his lips pressing gently on mine. I am quite sure the world stopped turning in that very moment. After we parted, Sherlock beamed at me and whimsically he murmured “You do know, that in fact, I am not afraid of flying, don’t you?” “Oh, shut up” I growled and pulled him back to me.  

And that’s basically where we are now, Sherlock and I. We share the same bed, we share intimacy and we kiss. I can’t think of anything better than hanging around with him, listening to him, seeing his face, being by his side, all the time. I don’t care if you think we are a couple or that he is my boyfriend or even that I am gay. I just don’t think that way. Not anymore. I guess, we just do whatever works.

December 16, 2013 1:11 am  #17

Those were all wonderful!

But I did get espcially excited reading this quote:

"By the time we finally arrived in Atlanta, USA, "

JOHN AND SHERLOCK WERE HERE AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 16, 2013 8:44 pm  #18

tonnaree wrote:

Those were all wonderful!

But I did get espcially excited reading this quote:

"By the time we finally arrived in Atlanta, USA, "

JOHN AND SHERLOCK WERE HERE AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT!!!

It's great that you liked the stories. We agreed on not posting comments in this thread however, since there'd probably be too much hullaballoo, making it harder to scroll from one fic to the next. Therefore, comments should stay in the other Secret Santa Thread.

December 17, 2013 5:47 am  #19

Happy Holidays, SherlockianDE!

For: SherlockianDE, I hope this meets your wish!

"What it Means to be Family"

“One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be family.”

― Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything Is Illuminated

Lestrade fumbled for his flat key, huddling against the biting wind. His gloved fingers finally grasped his key ring, wiggling it free from his pocket in a twisted mess. Behind him, Sherlock loitered, dressed in a coat three times too large and threadbare. Lestrade finally twisted the lock and shoved the water warped door open, trudging into his flat and leaving the door open in silent demand that Sherlock follow. He didn’t have to be looking at Sherlock to see the imperious look he was gifted with as he too entered the flat behind him. Lestrade shed his coat and scarf, depositing them unceremoniously on the back of the armchair as he passed, still decidedly ignoring Sherlock’s huffing and puffing behind him.

Lestrade made his way into the small kitchenette, shoving aside some soiled mugs in favor of the chipped, cleaner ones.

“Do you want a cuppa?” Lestrade called, filling the pot with cool water his pipes always seemed to manage. He got a decidedly loud huff for his trouble. Taking that as assent, he turned to switch the kettle on to boil.

“So,” Lestrade started, wandering into the sitting room. Sherlock had his back to him, still wrapped in that ridiculously filthy coat, and seemed to be scrutinizing Lestrade’s collection of old tomes. “The missus is on holiday at her sister’s-”

“No she’s not,” Sherlock interrupted. “She’s-”

“-So you can take the bed,” Lestrade finished loudly, going to the cupboard to remove some fresh linens to dump on the couch for himself.

Sherlock waited until he was in earshot and finished his thought. “-with the maths teacher at his house in Cardiff. Really, Lestrade, how did you not know that?”

Lestrade studiously ignored him, yanking the afghan off the back of the couch, adding it to his already haphazard pile of sheets. His wife always fussed at him for his lack of patience when making a bed.

Lestrade could feel Sherlock staring at him, deducing him or whatever such nonsense he did to try and unnerve people. When Lestrade could no longer plump the mountain of covers any longer, he turned to go and check on how the tea was getting along, all the while pretending Sherlock wasn’t piercing his soul with those luminous eyes. Lestrade could swear Sherlock took advantage of the lighting and cocked his head at just the right angle to give the creepiest stare.

The kettle decided to take that opportunity to whistle shrilly. Lestrade padded back into the kitchenette and grabbed the kettle, turning to pour the tea. What greeted him was a birds’ nest mess of black curls five centimeters from his face. With a decidedly manly yelp, Lestrade jerked back, sloshing the scalding water on his left hand all the way down to his elbow. It took all of Lestrade’s strength to not abandon the kettle in midair. He only managed because Sherlock’s now bare feet were parked beneath the kettle’s possible path. He swiftly deposited the kettle in the sink with a satisfying metallic thump as he clawed at his jumper sleeve. Then Sherlock was there, capturing his right hand and effectively yanking his left sleeve up in a very precise manner. The skin was a deep, angry red and Lestrade squirmed at the intensity of the burning. Sherlock just grasped his left hand by the fingers, mercifully missing the burned skin, and glared at Lestrade to still him.

Once he seemed satisfied Lestrade wouldn’t move, he went back to studying the arm with an unnerving amount of intensity. Lestrade clenched his eyes shut, knowing that delaying Sherlock would delay any relief he might find. Rough fingers fleetingly stroked his left hand, so softly that Lestrade barely felt it. He opened his eyes and looked at Sherlock, who was still studiously cataloguing his arm and in his “deductive mode” as Lestrade had dubbed it. Lestrade brushed the thought away that Sherlock could have been comforting him, his prickly personality more suited for solving a murder and concocting insults with one breath.

“You’ll live,” Sherlock said dismissively, though he hadn’t relinquished his arm yet. Awkwardly, Sherlock ducked under Lestrade’s right side while still gripping his arm, forcing Lestrade to make a half turn to avoid Sherlock dislocating his shoulder. “Oi-” he began, only to be shushed quite loudly by Sherlock. Lestrade glared, but didn’t make a move to break free. He’d seen Sherlock snap the bones of corpses easily and he didn’t want to add a fracture to his already throbbing arm.

Sherlock ripped a dishcloth from the neat stack his wife had folded, toppling the rest with the applied force. He turned the faucet on one handedly and liberally soaked the cloth, unceremoniously dumping the sopping thing on Lestrade’s burnt arm. Lestrade flinched, surprised by the wet rivulets crawling down his arm. Sherlock looked pointedly at him and released his arm, standing proudly like a child expecting praise.

“Um,” Lestrade said, for lack of any other thoughts. Sherlock continued to stand there, so Lestrade nodded and Sherlock nodded. That was the end of it, apparently, because Sherlock huffed again.

“Honestly. You didn’t have to bring me home with you like some stray. I do have a flat,” Sherlock scoffed.

“Yes, you do. A flat that had the electricity cut and no access to the central heating,” Lestrade countered resignedly, peering under the washcloth at the skin which now had white blisters of varying sizes scattered along the length of his arm.

“That’s what a fireplace is for,” Sherlock responded haughtily. “It’s not as if I am perfectly helpless on my own.”

Lestrade snorted. “Ah yes, picture of maturity, you,” he responded, not looking up from his arm.

Lestrade could practically feel the irritation radiating off of Sherlock. “I take care of myself perfectly fine, thank you. I-”

“Stick needles full of stimulants in your arm when you get bored,” Lestrade finished. Sherlock opened his mouth, presumably to inform Lestrade on just how stupid human beings are, when Lestrade brushed past him towards the loo. Sometimes it was best to let him argue with himself and tune him out, Lestrade had learned. Try to out wait his seemingly boundless manic energy. So far the success rate was inconclusive.

Rummaging in the medicine cabinet, Lestrade located the aloe mix his wife had bought the last time they had gone on holiday. Sherlock had followed him down the hallway, his voice buzzing with indignation that grated on Lestrade’s dull headache. He gave a hefty sigh and began to hum Beethoven’s fifth concerto under his breath while liberally spreading the aloe along his burns. While it drowned out most of the fussing, it was unsuccessful at eliminating the Sherlock’s deep bass altogether.

“Look,” Lestrade turned and faced Sherlock, who had clearly been in the middle of his diatribe, his mouth still open and hands halted in the middle of gesticulating. “You’re brilliant. Probably one of the most brilliant people in the world. But I cannot let you go home to your subzero flat so I can find you frozen with a needle in your arm come morning. God, Sherlock, you’re more important than that!” Sherlock opened his mouth to begin anew, probably the lecture on sentiment that Lestrade heard most often, when Lestrade threw up his good hand. “I know, caring isn’t an advantage, but-” he cut himself off and ran his right hand through his hair, tugging on it lightly. He huffed in frustrated helplessness. God, he was rubbish at this feeling lark.

Lestrade finally caught Sherlock’s wandering eyes and held them there. “I care, God help me. When you were detoxing...” Lestrade bit back the words with an aborted sigh and tried again. “Look. I know this doesn’t make sense, but you are more than just a brilliant mind to me. Mock me all you want, but I care if you end up in some gutter with a needle in your arm.” Sherlock’s eyes were still locked on Lestrade’s, his expression a mix of deductive observation and a tiny bit confused. Lestrade sagged against the sink and broke eye contact, suddenly drained. Silence bloomed between them in the tiny bathroom, his wife’s favorite perfume slowly diffusing from the cabinet drawer where he had disturbed it.

Movement at the door had him glancing up again from the tiles at the floor. Sherlock was very deliberately stripping the tattered coat off his body, exposing a stained jumper three sizes too big underneath. He kept his eyes on Lestrade, an unreadable expression on his face as he removed the jumper as well, but the message was clear. The equally stained undershirt and exposed ribs made Lestrade resist the strangely paternal urge to make a huge Sherlockian blunder by engulfing this brilliant wayward kid in his arms. Instead, he pulled a clean towel from the bureau beside the shower and nonchalantly squeezed by Sherlock, shoving the folded cloth into his arms. Surprisingly, Sherlock let himself be cajoled, but pointedly deposited his filthy garments on the floor in front of Lestrade before making his way towards the shower. Biting back a smile, Lestrade scooped up the pile and quietly shut the door.

----------------------------

An hour later, Sherlock emerged from the bathroom, hot steam billowing in his wake. Lestrade was pleased to see Sherlock had put on the worn pajama pants and shirt he had placed outside the bathroom door, both of which hung askew off his lean frame. His curls were still dripping and he looked more like a sullen teenager rather than a grown man. Lestrade hid his small grin behind a fresh mug of tea and continued to read the paper.

Sherlock padded over to the couch and perched on the armrest, the most self conscious Lestrade had ever seen him. Lestrade nudged a second teacup towards Sherlock, still steaming.

Sherlock raised his eyebrows and accepted the cup, taking a dainty sip. “Ah, a perfect 40 degrees. Interesting.”

Lestrade raised an eyebrow in response, his gaze still on the paper in his lap. “Oh, I’ve been promoted from idiot.”

Sherlock scowled. “I did not say that. I simply remarked on the fact that you were able to produce a decent cup of tea without personal or structural damage.”

Lestrade grinned at that. “Well, you were otherwise occupied, so the tea making went without incident.”

Sherlock wasn’t about to deign to respond to that, judging by the tense silence now blanketing the flat. Lestrade was still grinning when the door buzzed, causing Sherlock to flinch in surprise. Apparently pouting was not an activity that could be multitasked. Lestrade rose and answered the door, coming back with two boxes of Thai and a pair of fortune cookies. He placed one of the boxes of Thai food in front of Sherlock, topping it with one of the wrapped cookies.

Sherlock looked indignantly at the cookie, shoving it aside in favor of the box of noodles.  Lestrade counted that as a win since Sherlock was showing any interest in the food at all. Lestrade opened his noodles in kind and they ate in as close to companionable silence as possible. Before long, the spicy noodles he’d ordered began to look more like something he’d find in a back alley crime scene and less like the comfort food it usually was. After about ten more minutes of halfheartedly poking at the now cold noodles, he gave up and deposited the barely eaten box on the coffee table.

Sighing, he sat back on the couch and closed his eyes, exhaustion and nausea competing for his attention. He knew he should get up and change into his pajamas, probably should even be making sure Sherlock wasn’t nicking his badge or texting rude things to Anderson, but suddenly he just didn’t think he could be bothered to care. Which is why he flinched so violently when cold, slender fingers wrapped cautiously around his wrist right on his pulse point.

When he opened his eyes, he was greeted by Sherlock’s curls close enough to tickle his nose, as he performed a stationary version of his “deductive dance”. Cool fingers were clinically assessing his vital signs, tugging at the buttons of his shirt, peering with that gaze of his into his haggard face. Belatedly, the invasiveness of the gestures registered and Lestrade batted Sherlock’s hands away. Sherlock’s indignant face was similar to that of a child that had just had an interesting game taken away. It was interrupted, however, when a rogue yawn escaped. The glare Sherlock gave the room at large for betraying his exhaustion had Lestrade biting back a laugh.

“Time for bed, kiddo,” Lestrade attempted to ruffle Sherlock’s hair as Sherlock dodged. “The bedroom is right through there. I changed the sheets and turned up the thermostat. And don’t tell me you’re not tired,” Lestrade cut off the protest clearly on Sherlock’s lips. “I know for a fact that you haven’t slept or eaten in almost three days. Sleep, don’t sleep, I don’t care. Go and appreciate my sock drawer, or something.”

“I wasn’t going to argue,” Sherlock responded in an exasperated tone, eyes narrowed. “You haven’t eaten your pad thai, which you like even if it has enough salt in it to raise your blood pressure, your temperature is slightly elevated indicating that your bout of bronchitis you had two weeks ago is lingering, probably because you insisted upon working this triple homicide against doctor orders. You’ve been wearing the same clothes for four and a half days which is the length your wife has been in Cardiff. You’ve been working longer hours than usual, probably because of some incessant need to prove to yourself that you matter to someone as you obviously don’t to your wife-”

“Enough,” Lestrade said in a level voice, pushing Sherlock away as he stood and carefully keeping his expression blank. He was definitely not going down that road right now. He made to go towards his bedroom, determined to end this never ending day once and for all. Let Sherlock sleep on the couch, the prat. Sherlock, ever the stubborn fool, stepped in front of him, his tall form towering over him more than usual and effectively blocking his advance.

“Get outta my way. Just let me have a night in peace where I don’t have to worry about my wife or your lack of self preservation or that crazy brother of yours interfering with my cases. One night where the murderers take a break and every young woman gets home safely and I don’t get there too late. Just one bloody night, is that too much to ask for?”

Sherlock was silent for a long time as Lestrade stood there, beyond caring about his long dead dignity. About five minutes into their silent battle of wills, Sherlock grabbed his jaw and made Lestrade meet his eyes. Calloused fingers gripped his cheeks lightly, tickling his four day old scruff. The invasion of space was startling. Lestrade had never seen Sherlock willingly touch another person, much less for extended periods of time. Sherlock’s expression was one of frustration, but his eyes made Lestrade’s exasperated words die on his lips. Sherlock’s eyes were absent of mocking or annoyance, filled with... something akin to concern, if Lestrade could trust his instincts right now.

“Don’t be so stupid. You are the least moronic Detective Inspector at the Yard. I refuse to work with anyone else; your intelligence is the closest to my level,” Sherlock told him seriously. “Which, admittedly, doesn’t indicate much.” He finished with a shrug.

Lestrade just stared at him, more stunned than insulted, before bursting into laughter at the irony of a world in which one of the most self centered people Lestrade knows is comforting him and not the other way round. Lestrade thought it was lucky his laughing turned into exhausted coughing, sparing Sherlock from the intimate moment that he would have been forced to navigate. Instead, Sherlock guided him to the couch again and fetched him water, tentatively rubbing circles on his back until he controlled his breathing once more.

They sat that way for a while, the weathered Detective Inspector and the freshly minted Consulting Detective, surrounded by warm blankets and the muted sound of early morning London traffic. Lestrade must have dozed off at some point with Sherlock’s ministrations, because when he woke there was a decidedly wrinkled note scrawled on a Tesco’s receipt in the atrocious handwriting of one Sherlock Holmes.

‘Called Donovan. Day off. Take paracetamol. Heat back on. -SH’

Lestrade glanced at the clock on the mantel eyed the bottle of pills on the coffee table, and decided that maybe he hadn’t done so badly by Sherlock after all.

December 19, 2013 5:41 am  #20

Happy Holidays, YukinaKid!

YukinaKid: I hope that this story as short as it is fills your wishes just a little (note from the author who originally was supposed to write fic for you)

Note from Kerkerian: One of the authors found herself inconvenienced, but she found a friend who stood in for her.

*+*
Death warmed over... He'd heard someone use that phrase once in relation to being sick but he hadn't known what it would feel like until now. In fact, before now he'd thought it a complete and unnecessary exaggeration. He had finally settled in bed, medicine finally taking effect and his body starting to relax when the doorbell rang.

Well, rang was the kind phrase for it. By the sixth ring, going straight through his head, Lestrade managed to drag himself to an upright position but it wasn't until the twelfth ring that he made it to the door. "What in the bloody..."

"Ah good, you're awake," Sherlock said, stepping past Lestrade into the apartment. A sheepish looking John Watson was right behind him.

"We're sorry to intrude," John started.

"What are you doing here? I called in sick for a reason."

"Well I certainly couldn't be expected to deal with Anderson and Donovan. Besides, I had information on the case that you might find of interest."

"And it's a waste of time being that I'm not on duty today."

"Then I should think you could bring that in tomorrow. One of my more genius conclusions."

Lestrade stared at the other man for a long moment. "Wait a minute... is this your attempt to cheer me up?" John's expression clearly indicated that it was indeed.

"This is indeed one of the cases you've been attempting to solve for a few years is it not?" Sherlock asked. "That alone should cheer you up."

Lestrade gave a long sigh and would have shot Sherlock a glare, but was interrupted by another fit of coughing.

John winced as Lestrade tried to catch his breath, “That cough sounds really bad. Have you seen a doctor about it yet, Greg?”

The other man shook his head. “No, it's just the flu, mate.” When John looked like he was going into full doctor mode on him, the DI quickly added, “It is the flu I've got. It's been going around the Yard for a few weeks now and I'm just the latest poor sod unlucky enough to catch it, is all.”

“If you're certain that's all it is –“

Sherlock gave an impatient roll of the eyes, “Yes, yes, of course he is certain, John. Even Lestrade is smart enough to make such a simple deduction as this one!”

“And on that note,” John said, as he began to push Sherlock towards the door. “I think it's time we left!”

“But I haven't shared the cold case solutions yet!” The consulting detective fairly whined.

“They've been unsolved for five years. They can bloody wait a few more days for Greg to get well!” John retorted, giving Sherlock one last push to get him out the door before disappearing himself.

A few minutes after they left, Lestrade was awaken briefly by a text alert on his mobile.

Call me if your cough gets ANY worse. – John

Board footera