BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2013 5:17 pm  #1

Thor: Dark World

Now I just know that there might be one or two Tom Hiddleston fans here, perhaps, so let me just start by saying that I totally believe Helmsworth is a heck of a Thor. Love it, love it, love it.

But, you know  I do believe Loki stole the show in this one! This time, he is more like the Loki from the original myths and I was blown away. That cheeky little grin? Fantastic!

Have you seen it yet? Thoughts?

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

November 17, 2013 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Thor: Dark World

I already said this in another thread: Just not enough Loki! 

But I agree, Hemsworth is a pretty good Thor, but you just can't win against Tom's Loki - even if there just isn't enough of him in the film.
I especially loved the scene in the holding cell, when Thor finally comes to see Loki and then you suddenly see him sitting on the floor, looking totally battered. This made me shiver, I'm telling you...

(Btw, if you like Tom Hiddleston and haven't seen it yet, I totally recommend "The Hollow Crown" by the BBC. It consists of Shakespeare's "Richard II", "Henry IV Part I and II" and "Henry V", Tom plays Henry V... brilliant! )

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 18, 2013 6:18 am  #3

The Hollow Crown with Tom as the king is stunning. There is a link somewhere on the TV thread, I think.

The holding cell scene in Thor is extremely affecting isn't it. Broken into small pieces like the furniture. Recall his final conversation with his 'mother'.  I hope we have another Loki/Thor film. Not sure if there will be one though (apparently Tom cried in an terrier when it was mentioned to him that this might be the last one because he hadn't fully realised and it had been such fun making it.

Chris does a fine job as Thor (the washing scene springs to mind for some reason). But essentially Thor is just not as interesting and complex a character as Loki. Tom is fantastic in this film (but, then again, I am biased). 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 18, 2013 2:42 pm  #4

*puts hand up* *enthusiastic Tom Hiddleston / Loki fangirl ahead*

Not enough Loki. Not enough Loki. But then there never is.
So I really want to see the movie again. But does my bank account want to see the movie again.
Well, I guess the winner was Loki in that one, wasn't he? I am so proud of my baby. I could barely contain my pride in the cinema. I might have pissed off a few people.

Although I have to admit that the movie has its weaknesses. Nevertheless it was entertaining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 18, 2013 3:34 pm  #5

I have to say that of all the films which had Loki in them, I liked "The Avengers" best. Yes, there wasn't enough Loki in it, either. But the film as a whole was just great entertainment and worked better for me than the "Thor"-movies. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 21, 2013 7:59 pm  #6

Second Thor movie better than first Thor movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 21, 2013 8:07 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

Second Thor movie better than first Thor movie.

All in all - yes. There are still some things that they did better in the first movie. Like the vault scene. This particular scene gives the whole movie a special depth and creates a true tragedy. I wish the second movie would focus more on things like this instead of the comedy. If I was to give advice to the movie makers, I would say: Make jokes for a plot, not plot for jokes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 22, 2013 11:43 am  #8

I agree! Script writes take note.

November 24, 2013 3:35 pm  #9

I saw it yesterday and honestly I cannot say I enjoyed it very much, especially the first half of the movie. The plot was ridiculous and, in spite of loads of special effects, almost boring. They really could have done a  better work with the villain, what a waste of Christopher Eccleston! As it was, the villain was a mere pretext to get some battle scene, no personality, no strategy and ah yes, yet again a mysterious substance that gives you superpower. Natalie Portman seems like she were mightly pissed off to be part of the movie and only thought of getting away from it, Thor was decent at best, but he is no material for a shakespearian hero. Even Anthony Hopkins delivered his lines as if he were thinking "help me out of this ridiculous costume!". The saving grace of the movie is Tom Hiddlestone and his Loki, both as character and - even more so - actor's excellent performance. Once he is on screen, the film comes to life, but as other people here said, sadly there is just not enough of him. (I read somewhere that they kept adding Loki's scenes in postproduction and cutting Malekith's, obviously they realised that Loki was the only winning asset of the movie).

November 27, 2013 12:48 am  #10

I'm always up for more talking about Tom Hiddleston/Loki. This is one Midgardian who would be happy to kneel, say his name, and submit to his benevolent rule, if you know what I mean.

Went to see Dark World on a whim, had seen Avengers and didn't think much of Loki at the time (how was that possible? No one knows). This movie turned me around in a major way. I've now gone back and watched the original, rewatched Avengers, and yes, saw The Dark World in the theater a SECOND time. 

Without rehashing what everyone's already said - bottom line, I adore these movies (high art, no, but super fun and better than most in the genre). And I adore Tom. Loki is a gift of a character, and Tom was born to play him. 

Definitely loved the Loki stuff in this movie the most. He got to be angry, sad, funny, clever, sweet, heroic, and of course devious and manipulative, all at once! Everything Loki should be. I LOVE that they gave him a chance to be with the "good guys" this time, and I love how they constantly walked that line of not making him totally trustworthy but at the same time allowing him to be noble. Kind of like pre-revelation Loki in the first movie, only so much more satisfying because of all he's been through.

Favorite part - the escape. The shapeshifting, the "hero shot" of Loki and Thor walking through the hall, all the Warriors threatening to kill him, his reaction when Jane smacked him, the banter in the ship, aaaahhhhh such cuteness! My affection for Thor is defined by Loki - I don't care about his growth or his relationship with Jane or his taking or not taking the throne, I only really care about his relationship with his brother. I feel like you can really see how much he just wants his brother back, through all the movies. It's very sweet. And inevitably sad.

November 27, 2013 9:20 am  #11

I know, this is German TV, but it is hilarious German TV. Even if you don't understand everything, you shouldn't miss this for the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqUSixz60n4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2x5dGtYJw

November 28, 2013 1:34 pm  #12

Oh yes! I should have thought about posting those! Very remiss of me! They are very funny aren't they and he keeps his good humour throughout! Lecker!  If you know what I mean! 

February 26, 2014 1:38 am  #13

SPOILER ALERT (even though I think nobody would come here if they haven't seen this movie, I still am going to put that there)

Anyways, I love this movie; it is one of my favorites. I love Tom Hiddleston as Loki! He is definitely my favorite character. He is just so much more complex than Thor, and, in my opinion, more handsome as well. I cried so hard at Loki's "death", but at the end I was so happy!! I watched it with one of my friends, and we both enjoyed it a lot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

February 26, 2014 11:44 am  #14

The 'death' was so well done wasn't it. That repetition of 'sorry'. 

June 9, 2014 12:11 pm  #15

I love this movie so much! But I also think that 'The Avengers' was a bit better. I liked Lokis new hair, haha, it was absolutely fabulous, wasn't it? And yes, the death scene, oh my god. I cried so much in the cinema because I thought he was really dead. Well, I'm still excited about what will happen in the next Thor film because there are so many questions left. Unfortunately Tom Hiddleston is not going to be in the next Avenger film but perhaps Thor will say something about Asgard. (?) I really hope so!

Board footera