BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2013 9:25 pm  #1

Gary Oldman interviewing Benedict

Here is a link to the online version of the interview. 

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/benedict-cumberbatch#_

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 11, 2013 9:39 pm  #2

Re: Gary Oldman interviewing Benedict

Ah, thanks for that link, Susi! I read about it somewhere yesterday and completely forgot about it again. I guess I'll try to get a copy at the news agent tomorrow...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 12, 2013 7:37 am  #3

It is nice read to read an interview without Cumberbitches, otters, neutron cream and all that for a change. Just a good talk between colleagues/friends. And I loved Gary's question about which scene Benedict would save from a fire. I think nobody has asked him that before. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 12, 2013 7:58 am  #4

I haven't read it yet, just had a quick glance at it. But I expect it to be an interesting interview... they do not, by any chance, talk about working together again in the future? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 12, 2013 8:06 am  #5

Sorry, but no. On the other hand who knows? In this industry everything is being kept so secret. I am very happy about his answer to the fire question. 
Btw - are we the only ones reading this fine interview??

November 12, 2013 8:09 am  #6

I saved it, but haven't read it yet.
Love Gary.
Oh and I hope it's the scene I would want saving, but I think I know which one it will be!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 12, 2013 8:13 am  #7

Please read it and tell me if you were right. 

November 12, 2013 8:17 am  #8

Okay, even if they didn't talk about it... I read somewhere a while ago that Gary is planning on directing a film and is thinking about casting Benedict in it. Hope that'll happen eventually...
They talked about a scene with Benedict in it, I assume?

edit: Okay, I just had a quick look. So it's not just one scene he mentions... but with the first scene he mentions I was at least partly right, I would have saved another scene from that movie though. But the one he would save... isn't bad, either.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 12, 2013 8:28 am)

November 12, 2013 9:19 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

.... I am very happy about his answer to the fire question. 

Oh, I was quite sure about that when I read that line, Susi. 
And someone else might be happy he didn't say "Little Favour". 

A very nice interview, thanks for posting!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 12, 2013 9:51 am  #10

We did not really expect him to give only ONE answer, did we? There are many beautiful scenes in PE and his choice is of course among them. Another fav of mine is the scene where he tells Sylvia about the war. And of course the roof scene .. well ... 

November 12, 2013 10:18 am  #11

That really is a... sophisticated interview. I guess such interviews only happen when you are in an extraordinary interview situation like this one... one actor (and obviously friend) interviewing the other... perfect combination.

I especially like the fact that Ben choses a scene from TTSS - in my opinion a highly underrated movie. It's too bad it hasn't been more of a box office success, because if it had they might have thought about doing "Smiley's People"...

And I have to say: from PE I'd definitely save a scene with Sylvia in it. It's probably me, but I just didn't really warm towards Valentine...

November 12, 2013 10:33 am  #12

I admire Rebecca Hall, she is brilliant in the role, but all in all I really do detest Sylvia as a character. And in book she is even darker than in the film. To think what she does to ruin Christopher. 
I think what he loves about the scene he chose is that is says so much about Christopher's character. The not being able to express his feelings, the self-imposed moral code that threatens to destroy him. And there is this wonderful moment when he uses the word "respect" instead of "love". 

I really liked TTSS although I usually do not watch spy movies. This Cold War thing is not for me. But the actors are wonderful, such an incredible team of British talent. And of course my favourite scene is another one. 

November 12, 2013 10:46 am  #13

I guess the television version of PE does differ a bit from the literary source, right? Because I found Sylvia amusing as well as pathetic, but I didn't really hate her. As for Valentine... maybe I got her all wrong, but as a character I found her not very interesting... but maybe that would be something to discuss in the PE thread.

My favourite scene in TTSS also is another one, but probably not the one you're thinking about, Susi. Then again, there are a lot of really good scenes...

November 12, 2013 11:03 am  #14

We have a thread of its own for that. Quite interesting. 

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2852

As for TTSS: I think I am obvious as always. 

November 12, 2013 10:07 pm  #15

I read this interview on Tumblr and I loved it. I think an experienced actor like Oldman asking the questions, and a rapport between them that already existed, makes for a really interesting and different interview. Journalists (dare I call most of them pop-journalists?) just focus on the 'thing' of the moment and they all ask the same questions. It must get so boring at those press junkets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 13, 2013 6:31 am  #16

It certainly must for a media whore like Benedict!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2013 5:42 pm  #17

Wholocked wrote:

I read this interview on Tumblr and I loved it. I think an experienced actor like Oldman asking the questions, and a rapport between them that already existed, makes for a really interesting and different interview. Journalists (dare I call most of them pop-journalists?) just focus on the 'thing' of the moment and they all ask the same questions. It must get so boring at those press junkets.

I agree with you, and the visual of Gary out there on a boat fishing? That just takes the cake. I enjoy it when someone can just "drop the act" and be themselves. Excellent interview, it would have "Ben" amazing to hear, lol!

(And this is totally off-topic but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to listen to any of the Cabin Pressure episodes online? Read a superb fanfic that was a crossover the other day and really really want to know more!)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

November 13, 2013 10:26 pm  #18

crazybbcamerican wrote:

(And this is totally off-topic but I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to listen to any of the Cabin Pressure episodes online? Read a superb fanfic that was a crossover the other day and really really want to know more!)

Most, if not all of them, are on YouTube

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 14, 2013 1:53 am  #19

Wholocked wrote:

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Did anyone tell you that are awesome yet today?
Well, I just did!

Thank you :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

November 14, 2013 5:55 am  #20

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Did anyone tell you that are awesome yet today?
Well, I just did!

Thank you :D

I tell myself that, frequently

Board footera