BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2013 6:27 pm  #1

"Benedict Cumberbatch is doing an AMA on Reddit on 11th October"

http://inagist.com/all/387507124378423296/

Can anyone explain this to me? Looks..... confusing. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 8, 2013 11:20 pm  #2

Re: "Benedict Cumberbatch is doing an AMA on Reddit on 11th October"

No clue - tweet @Cumberbatchweb and ask her?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 9, 2013 1:51 am  #3

Here you go! Just showed up on my Tumblr feed.

It's a Fifth Estate As Me Anything
http://the5thestate.tumblr.com/post/63500453232/join-benedict-cumberbatch-for-an-ama-ask-me

(Yeah, cause they're going to limit themselves to questions about Fifth Estate!)

edited cause spelling

Last edited by Wholocked (October 9, 2013 1:51 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 9, 2013 6:56 am  #4

Thanks Wholocked. I just don't know how it works. And @cumberbatchweb doesn't know, either. 

October 9, 2013 7:15 am  #5

I'm guessing it's like any Q&A and you have to be on Reddit at the time? Maybe?

No idea. I've never even looked at Reddit before so I don't get it at all

October 9, 2013 1:51 pm  #6

Fear not, guys! I found this on theonering.net. All you have to do is head over here at the appropriate time. It's 2:30pm EDT, which is 7:30pm GMT.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

From the look of it, I guess a new conversation on there will be made for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 10, 2013 5:47 am  #7

Wow.... nice of him!!  (heh.... although, perhaps also maybe just a bit of publicist embracing online social media again, too).  And yeah... no kidding a lot of people won't just be asking about Fifth Estate - part of me kinda hopes for his sake that there isn't too much 'omg ilu ben!' though!    Just... he's obviously so intelligent and aware of popularity, be so awesome getting a chance to use that for some interesting discussion, and not vicariously through a reporter!
This is neat... I had heard of people doing ama/ask-me-anything type things before, and aware of Reddit as a busy place for internet/social/pop culture/entertainment/world news stuff, but didn't realize what a big regular feature it was.  Just look at the link kitty posted... besides getting quite a few celebrities, they seem to focus on the intriguing/unusual, like people who did something/had something happen to them that was unusual, unusual jobs, writers, people in the government, musicians, even criminal types, giving you a chance to grill them on (natch) anything and learn more about.  What are you thinking of asking Ben, then?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 11, 2013 7:09 am  #8

So, ah, anyone planning on being around at that time or jumping in?  Whatcha going to ask?
I'm hoping I will be... have a lunch date and who know how long, probably have plenty of time, but be a bit embarrassing to cut things off if I notice the time flying by from chatting and not exactly wanting to say 'um, sorry, gotta run... this guy I like, Benedict, is going to chat with us online!'   
Aside from Fifth Estate/political thoughts, though, wouldn't it be neat to ask him about most thrilling/embarrassing moments on sets, who he would love to work with, how he feels about fan encounters/mail, how he stays zen (in light of him living with buddhist monks back when), what kinds of stuff /he/ geeks out about, and just other neat non-movie things.  Hopefully get to ask, or maybe anyone else here can?    *hopeful look*

Figuring some of the things I thought about were surely done before, being as no way one has heard all the interviews given by a favorite person, I incidentally found most of them (and an interesting motley mix) from googling... these are old and, sheepishly, probably old hat spam to most of you, sorry, but found them fun, if just for his neat answers and ideas, if not seen before, in light of getting to ask him stuff again... 
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/benedict-cumberbatchs-my-london-6494658.html
http://www.whatsonstage.com/west-end-theatre/news/04-2005/20-questions-with-benedict-cumberbatch_23948.html
http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/londontheatre/questionsandanswers/benedictcumberbatch.htm
plus the whole differently vibed interview I never got around to, of the Harper's Bazaar My Cultural Life thing.  Neat. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

October 11, 2013 2:39 pm  #9

I registered to the site just now, will be asking a question and trying not to hyperventilate if he answers  I registered as benedictfan, so you'll know it's me 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 3:47 pm  #10

Cool... what are you going to ask?   Curious about any of the same things I was?

October 11, 2013 4:38 pm  #11

I think I might ask this, since he's familiar with the canon:

If they were to make a fourth series of Sherlock, which stories would you want to see adapted and why?

October 11, 2013 5:53 pm  #12

kittykat wrote:

I think I might ask this, since he's familiar with the canon:

If they were to make a fourth series of Sherlock, which stories would you want to see adapted and why?

Isn't it only about 5th Estate?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 11, 2013 6:08 pm  #13

It's called Ask Me Anything, yes?

Besides, we're talking about Ben here. We can never focus when it comes to him 

Last edited by kittykat (October 11, 2013 6:23 pm)

October 11, 2013 6:48 pm  #14

1328 questions within 8 minutes, did I just get that right?
(And of course my first attempt to open it was answered with "sorry, you broke the server.) 

October 11, 2013 6:49 pm  #15

1670 as I type...somebody's popular! 

October 11, 2013 6:52 pm  #16

16 minutes - 2010 

October 11, 2013 6:55 pm  #17

Wow! I bet he's overwhelmed at such a response 

October 11, 2013 6:56 pm  #18

kittykat wrote:

It's called Ask Me Anything, yes?

Besides, we're talking about Ben here. We can never focus when it comes to him 

I wasn't criticising, on the contrary- I was disappointed when I read it's only about 5th Estate, but this is much better (though, knowing how long he takes to answer, all these posts are just too much. What was to be expected, poor lamb... he won't even be able to answer 5 % of them!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 11, 2013 6:59 pm  #19

But still with his hands in his pockets. 

October 11, 2013 7:00 pm  #20

I admire him for trying to keep up! 

Board footera