BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2013 4:03 pm  #1

Sir Ian McKellen to play retired Sherlock Holmes

New Sherlock Holmes adaptation with Ian McKellen based on Mitch Cullen's book "A Slight Trick of the Mind".

Short summary of the book here:
"It is 1947, and the long-retired Sherlock Holmes, now 93, lives in a remote Sussex farmhouse with his housekeeper and her young son. He tends to his bees, writes in his journal, and grapples with the diminishing powers of his mind. But in the twilight of his life, as people continue to look to him for answers, Holmes revisits a case that may provide him with answers of his own to questions he didn’t even know he was asking–about life, about love, and about the limits of the mind’s ability to know."

http://www.ihearofsherlock.com/2013/09/sir-ian-mckellen-is-sherlock-holmes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IHearOfSherlock+%28I+Hear+of+Sherlock+Everywhere%29

This sounds quite wonderful, I love Ian McKellen

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 5, 2013 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Sir Ian McKellen to play retired Sherlock Holmes

Interesting project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 6, 2013 2:50 pm  #3

Sound interesting indeed. I really like this actor, whatever if he plays a villain or a good guy he's great.

Last edited by TicTacToe (September 6, 2013 2:53 pm)

September 6, 2013 2:54 pm  #4

This seems to be an interesting take on SH. I would love to see Sir Ian in the part. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2013 3:21 pm  #5

I approve this. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 6, 2013 3:59 pm  #6

Hopefully we'll see Benedict as an old Sherlock, one day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 6, 2013 4:26 pm  #7

Yeah, but they said they're then gonna write their own stuff.

Last edited by besleybean (September 6, 2013 4:26 pm)

September 7, 2013 3:25 am  #8

An excerpt from a short synopsis of the novel says:

Holmes--"a genius in whom scientific curiosity is raised to the status of heroic passion"--is famous for his powers of deduction. His world is made up of hard evidence and uncontestable facts, his observations and conclusions unsullied by personal feelings, until novelist Cullin goes behind the cold, unsentimental surface to reveal for the first time the inner world of an obsessively private man.
http://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/index.cfm/book_number/1557/a-slight-trick-of-the-mind

I'm very much interested about this. I would like to see SH in an Oscar winning movie for best picture, best actor, best director and more categories!

BTW any one read the book?

September 7, 2013 3:28 am  #9

Awesome, awesome and more awesome.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 7, 2013 6:32 am  #10

This should be really, really good! From X-Men to Sherlock Holmes. An actor's life is certainly not dull.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 7, 2013 12:11 pm  #11

Wow, sounds interesting! I haven't even heard of that book but I'm looking forward to seeing the movie :]

The Road goes ever on and on...

September 10, 2013 10:22 am  #12

OMG skldjgkljsklgjd really excited about that. Any new Sherlock Holmes project causes me near delirious excitement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 19, 2013 9:49 pm  #13

Sir Ian... Gandalf? Am I thinking of the right one?

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

October 19, 2013 9:57 pm  #14

Yes.

October 20, 2013 8:00 pm  #15

Gandalf. Magneto. Yes.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 22, 2013 3:08 am  #16

I like Ian. He's a good actor. I would check this out simpy because I like him. But regradless, the BBC's Sherlock is *THE* definitive Sherlock experience, imo.

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

October 22, 2013 5:52 am  #17

I agree, but an older one will be interesting too..

December 21, 2013 4:43 am  #18

Very much looking forward to this. Love Ian McKellen. His King Lear is beyond unbelievable (immortalized on DVD) and his Macbeth, from back in the day, was pretty darn amazing too.

And. Of course Sherlock would have bees.

Edit: Oops. Did not know Sherlock having bees was an established practice! 

Last edited by ChrisHale (December 21, 2013 4:53 am)

January 10, 2014 12:51 pm  #19

I can't imagine this being anything other than excellent.  With such a great actor and subject I'll be in line to see this as soon as it's out! 

January 27, 2014 12:37 am  #20

SusiGo wrote:

This seems to be an interesting take on SH. I would love to see Sir Ian in the part. 

Sir Ian has played Holmes before:   http://www.nplh.co.uk/2/post/2013/01/what-a-lot-of-hot-air.html

Board footera