BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2012 11:43 pm  #1

Game of Thrones

A little more than a week until season 2. Anyone else excited? The second book in the series is incredible (I'm currently reading the third).

Last edited by Harry Lime (March 21, 2012 11:46 pm)

March 22, 2012 8:30 am  #2

Re: Game of Thrones

Hey!! I am excited too!!
Though I'm finisihing the second book yet... we'll talk about it when it aires 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 22, 2012 2:38 pm  #3

Irene_Adler wrote:

Hey!! I am excited too!!

That's one of the drawbacks of the series: you have to be careful online for fear of spoilers.

March 22, 2012 3:19 pm  #4

Harry Lime wrote:

Irene_Adler wrote:

Hey!! I am excited too!!

That's one of the drawbacks of the series: you have to be careful online for fear of spoilers.

Yes, you're right. It's been ages since the last time I entered IMDb's forums, for example. They're a mine of spoilers. So I try not to read too much about this series online, because I knew some things about Game of Thrones way before I had (and needed) to.
Anyway, we should comment when the next season airs, it's good to have someone here who likes it too 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2013 5:15 am  #5

Ok  I've  just become interested in this series!!   am  watching season 1,  thanks to a free week  of  watching HBO  and SHOWTIME  and  other movie channels.   I  LOVE  it  so far.  

This is based on a book?   Could someone plz enlighten me as to the tiyles and author of the books?  and are they like the series at all?   thanks!!   wow,  look at  how much tiome has passed between  Irene's post  and mine!!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

March 30, 2013 10:46 am  #6

The books are written by George R.R. Martin. The whole series of books is entitled: A Song of Ice and Fire.
There are five novels published so far and the author is working on the sixth. The correct order of the novels is:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows
A Dance with Dragons

In the US they are published by Bantam Spectra.

If you want me to find out the ISBNs for each just let me know.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2013 9:03 am  #7

Davina wrote:

The books are written by George R.R. Martin. The whole series of books is entitled: A Song of Ice and Fire.
There are five novels published so far and the author is working on the sixth. The correct order of the novels is:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows
A Dance with Dragons

In the US they are published by Bantam Spectra.

If you want me to find out the ISBNs for each just let me know.

I read the books too and in France it's a nightmare because they not publish the entire book first. They publish one book in 2 or 3 for 18 € each (£15). For exemple if you want to buy the entire edition of "A Dance with Dragons" (about 15 € or 16 € probably) you have to wait 2 or 3 years after the original book was published in US (and more for the previous books).  Because of that i still not read the fifth book. 

Last edited by TicTacToe (May 5, 2013 9:13 am)

June 9, 2013 4:49 pm  #8

Possibly my favorite current show on American TV. Initially it was just all about Sean Bean for me. I didn't really care what it was about, I was just like OH MY GOD SEAN BEAN ON TV EVERY WEEK. We all know how that went ;p 

But seriously, it's an incredible show. Of course my favorite character is Tyrion (like pretty much every other sentient being who watches the show), but I also love Dany and her BFF (don't have any idea what his name is...you know, Iain Glen), and Arya, although she doesn't have much to do lately. I've got my fingers crossed that she gets to kick some *serious* behind before it's all said and done. 

Ooooh, almost forgot my other faves - Brienne and Jamie!  I don't care what anyone says, Jamie is awesome. I love me an anti-hero, and he has some biblical-level flaws. As for Brienne, what could you possibly not love there? And together...oh my gosh so wrong and yet so right. Not in a romantic way, that would be dull. Just in a medieval-odd-couple way. They're besties. 

In other news, I might be the only woman in the world who doesn't think John Snow is cute. 

July 19, 2013 2:41 am  #9

So is each season of the TV show representative of one book? I'm onto the 3rd book but want to check out the series but don't want to get ahead on the show before I've read it in the book... if that makes sense.

================================================================

July 19, 2013 6:25 am  #10

Each series covers more than one book.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2013 7:16 am  #11

Davina wrote:

Each series covers more than one book.

Thanks! I'm one of those people that like to read the book first so I'd like to keep my reading self ahead of my viewing self.

================================================================

July 20, 2013 9:13 am  #12

TicTacToe wrote:

I read the books too and in France it's a nightmare because they not publish the entire book first. They publish one book in 2 or 3 for 18 € each (£15). For exemple if you want to buy the entire edition of "A Dance with Dragons" (about 15 € or 16 € probably) you have to wait 2 or 3 years after the original book was published in US (and more for the previous books).  Because of that i still not read the fifth book. 

Oh that's similar in Germany. Here they separate each original book into two German books. So we have 10 books at the moment for 15/16 Euro each (13 GBP/20 USD). But at least the fith book (9 + 10 in Germany) has been already published here. But they mess things up with the translation of the latest book. They choose a new translator who transfers all names into German, whereas in the old books they kept the Englisch names - very confusing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 6, 2014 12:16 am  #13

Since Series 4 is starting tomorrow, is there anyone else as excited as I am?  Would definitely love to see if there are any other fans here ^^

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

April 6, 2014 12:23 am  #14

One big fan here. I can't wait to watch it!

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

April 6, 2014 12:28 am  #15

Pav wrote:

Awesome!  Have you read the books also?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

April 6, 2014 9:00 am  #16

sj4iy wrote:

Pav wrote:

Awesome!  Have you read the books also?

Yes, I have. I read them after Series 1.They're great but I might prefer the series, my favourite characters are Tyrion and Jon.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

April 6, 2014 9:12 am  #17

I'm also a big fan of the TV series. I have the books on my kindle but I haven't got round to reading them yet.

April 6, 2014 1:03 pm  #18

I've read the books, but I think I prefer how the tv show cuts down on the characters, which I would sometimes forget while reading.

Just 12 hours now!  HBO 2 is currently running a marathon with all of the episodes for those who wish to catch up or refresh themselves.

April 6, 2014 3:41 pm  #19

Big fan of books and TV show.  And having read the books (no spoilers) there is an event this season that I am REALLY looking forward to.  As a matter of fact I will dance a little dance of happiness when it occurs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2014 3:48 pm  #20

tonnaree wrote:

Big fan of books and TV show.  And having read the books (no spoilers) there is an event this season that I am REALLY looking forward to.  As a matter of fact I will dance a little dance of happiness when it occurs.

This is probably the first season that I have looked forward to instead of dreading just BECAUSE of that particular event.

Board footera