BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2013 2:05 pm  #1

Sherlock's Pride in John

There seem to be a lot of little moments where Sherlock shows pride and affection when John shows insight into the mystery, military talent or is able to overcome adversity.  In A Study in Pink when Sherlock helps John overcome his dependence on his caine, the smile Sherlock gives him was the first sign of affection.  I've been wondering if Sherlock saw a quality in John during their first meeting, someone he could connect to.  Most people annoy him at some point, but he always wants John around.  Even when he pouts about John's blog in The Great Game, he's surprised that John gets up and leaves.  Molly even mentioned that Sherlock was complaining about John leaving to go visit his sister during Christmas in Scandal in Belgravia.
There is of course, the end of Study in Pink where he is describing the shooter to Lestrade and realizes it was John.  There is the moment in the Great Game when Mycroft is trying to  get Sherlock to take the Bruce Parkington plans case.  When he's (Mycroft) talking to John and replies that Mycroft wouldn't be there if there wasn't something more; Sherlock gives a little affectionate, prideful smile.  Of course there is also the scene in Baskerville when John pulls rank.  Sherlock can't contain his glee.

Of course, John's opinion matters a lot more to him than anyone else's.  He's surprised and pleased when John is impressed with his deductions about the military career and Harry, but he also seems upset when John has a less than favorable opinion.  Like when he's upset that John mentions that he doesn't know that the earth goes around the sun; he seems more put out that John has a less than favorable opinion rather than being upset *at* John.  He tries to justify his ignorance of the solar system and there is the aforementioned surprise on Sherlock's part when John gets up to leave.  And in Reichenbach Fall, he really loses it when he starts to fear that John may fall for Moriarty's game.

Last edited by josabby (July 28, 2013 2:06 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

July 28, 2013 6:48 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's Pride in John

You're right, those are great moments. I like especially the moment in PINK when Sherlock is making deductions about the shooter, already beginning to admire the "criminal" for his abilities and his cleverness in escaping the police, as Sherlock usually does, and then he suddenly realises that cunning person was in fact his friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

July 28, 2013 7:24 pm  #3

Yeah, I absolutely love all those moments which show Sherlock cares a great deal about what John thinks of him, the way he is proud of John, but also the way he feels all proud of himself when John compliments him, or, on the other hand, the way he sulks when John criticizes him. Makes me smile, for someone who says he doesn't care at all about what people think of him.

One of my all time favourite moment of the show is the one from Scandal, I know this is not a very significant moment, but I adore it, that moment when John tells Sherlock that nobody's reading his website, Sherlock is incredibly upset (to the point he even leaves the room) and I just love it, he looks like a giant sulking kid when he looks up and stares at John with his mouth and his eyes twitching, priceless!

And yeah, I also love that moment you mentioned in RBF... I think Sherlock doesn't care what people think of him (with the exception of John) as long as it's got nothing to do with work. He doesn't care being called a freak, he doesn't care being mistaken for John's lover... etc etc, but I think it hurts/annoys him a lot that people think he's a fake, and that his work was just a bad joke. Still, he manages to stay calm about it. When the police comes to arrest him, he doesn't put any resistance and nearly even calms down John by telling him it's gonna be ok and all.

But when he thinks John may fall for Moriarty's game, he's losing it completely. This video is cut too early and we miss Sherlock's face after John tells him he believes in him. I love that face.

Just like old times...

July 29, 2013 4:10 am  #4

Adding love for the Pink shooter moment.  Sherlock had already liked him and seen something in, however much of a mix it was of 'experiment', 'someone I can stand/who can stand me', 'a good man who could be a friend', but having already somewhat amazingly quickly pulled him into everything, the look on his face with that realization (ha, and yes, admiring the 'cunning', as you said) and saw John…. knew he had a permanent ally who had his back. 

And don't forget at the pool when Moriarty first leaves and they're catching their breath… not one to praise often, Sherlock was telling John 'that was… good, what you did'.     Although the police arrest Punch mentions…..  totally agree about attitude there, but I think it was also simply Sherlock going with a plan (however hasty).  Whether it was to not flare things up inconveniently with the police by fighting, or part of the 'fallen Sherlock' story to draw Moriarty out, he was trying to assure John it was okay.  He planned to get out of it.  And when John joined him, despite the smile at his adorable loyalty, he comments it makes their 'imminent and daring escape' a little more difficult.  ;)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 29, 2013 5:14 am  #5

Oh!  And doesn't he also seem affectionately amused at his 'smart best friend' working on his own deductions (even if a bit slower or incorrect) in the case of figuring out how Westie died on the train, grabbing Sherlock into his own little dupe with Connie's cat and a 'photographer', and especially his face when John notices a few things before he does in TBB with finding the Lucky Cat shop and taking a pic of the wall graffiti.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 29, 2013 6:17 am  #6

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

You're right, those are great moments. I like especially the moment in PINK when Sherlock is making deductions about the shooter, already beginning to admire the "criminal" for his abilities and his cleverness in escaping the police, as Sherlock usually does, and then he suddenly realises that cunning person was in fact his friend.

This scene is just wonderful! And I think it is also the final proof needed for Sherlock to completely trust John, and a defining moment in their friendship, showing that with this man Sherlock has found someone who is not merely an admirer or a sidekick who follows along wherever Sherlock leads, but a strong partner he can rely on when things get rough.

The pool scene is another great moment. Sherlock is clearly dumbfounded at the realisation, that John would have been willing to give up his life for Sherlock's escape. I love this moment when Sherlock is trying to come to terms with everything that just happened, scratching the back of his head with a loaded gun, uhhh

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 29, 2013 10:04 am  #7

Yeah, there are so many wonderful moments!

But indeed that look Sherlock gives John at the end of SIP, as realisation washes over him was just incredible. It lasts only a few seconds on screen and yet it means so much, like you all already said. We have to keep in mind that Sherlock's never had a friend at that time, and that no one's ever put their own life in danger for his sake (Mycroft is very protective of course, and wouldn't hesitate to kill to save his little brother but the difference with John is that he would employ someone else to do the "dirty job" for him) and there... He met John the day before, and within 24 hours, John has agreed to become his flatmate, to follow him to a crime scene (and therefore, share his "work life"), and now, he arrived just in time to save him, knowing he was in danger (he could have as well stayed at home and just waited for sherlock to come back), hasn't he didn't hesitate to kill a man (and that was a great shot indeed) to save Sherlock who he barely knew, even if that meant he could be in serious problem afterwards (not only with the police, even if it was out of defence, it still was murder, but for all he knew, Jeff hope could have had an accomplice who would then go for revenge... Well, actually, that's what happened with Moriarty later, even if it's obviously not for the sake of Hope that Jim does it)

I think there is many things in that look Sherlock gives John. Pride, trust, surprise, recognition... and a promise for many other things...

I once had fun making a video called "that look you give that guy" (based on a song of that same name). Don't pay attention to the background story behind this video, it's basically Lestrade's one sided-love for Sherlock, and his jealousy over John's complicity with Sherlock. I don't particularly ship Lestrade/Sherlock, and don't even think Lestrade has sentiments for sherlock other than friendship, but it worked too well not to make it in a video. Anyway, you can just skip to the refrain at 0.40 , 1.21, 2.20,  and 3.03

Just like old times...

July 29, 2013 3:01 pm  #8

Here's one of my favorites...

Last edited by krusta80 (July 29, 2013 3:02 pm)

============================================================
"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221b Baker Street. Afternoon..."

Sherlock: You're a doctor. In fact you're an army doctor.
Watson: Yes.
Sherlock: Any good?
Watson: Very good.
Sherlock: Seen a lot of injuries then. Violent deaths.
Watson: Well. Yes.
Sherlock: Bit of trouble too I bet.
Watson: Of course. Yes. Enough for a lifetime. Far too much.
Sherlock: Wanna see some more?
Watson: Oh god yes.

July 29, 2013 5:30 pm  #9

In Buckingham palace - Sherlock nicks an ashtray, just to make John smile. It has nothing to do with the smoking, really - just for John.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 29, 2013 7:18 pm  #10

Yes, because John says he has an urge to steal an ashtray. Later in the taxi, like a conjuror Sherlock produces it out of his pocket. It is almost as if he has accepted it as a dare or a personal challenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2013 6:47 am  #11

I always thought that Sherlock sort of 'falls in love' with John during their very first taxi-scene in SIP. John compliments Sherlock on his deductions and Sherlock is quite taken by surprise. Because what people normally say to his deductions his "piss off!", right? So, that for me is the moment in which Sherlock realizes that John is different from other people and that John will make a difference for him, Sherlock. Of course, when Sherlock talks about the shooter at the end of the episode and realizes it was John, that realization only makes it crystal clear for him that yes, John will be the most important person in his life from now on.

I really love those 'taking pride in John'-moments because to me they're like Sherlock would be saying "Yes, this is my John, he belongs to me, so hands off!".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2013 8:21 am  #12

SolarSystem wrote:

I really love those 'taking pride in John'-moments because to me they're like Sherlock would be saying "Yes, this is my John, he belongs to me, so hands off!".

Sherlock kind of said that in ASiP when asked who John was: "He's with me". 

I like that Sherlock gives John a credit of trust when he takes him to the first crime scene. They don't know each other and Sherlock has just John's own word that he is a good doctor. John himself thinks that he is not useful with: "What exactly am I supposed to be doing here."
Sherlock has to overcome some obstacles (Sally, Anderson and Lestrade) to bring John in.
This is interesting because of John's trust issues. He must have felt touched that somebody trusts him like that.

August 4, 2013 5:41 pm  #13

SolarSystem wrote:

I always thought that Sherlock sort of 'falls in love' with John during their very first taxi-scene in SIP. John compliments Sherlock on his deductions and Sherlock is quite taken by surprise. Because what people normally say to his deductions his "piss off!", right? So, that for me is the moment in which Sherlock realizes that John is different from other people and that John will make a difference for him, Sherlock. Of course, when Sherlock talks about the shooter at the end of the episode and realizes it was John, that realization only makes it crystal clear for him that yes, John will be the most important person in his life from now on.

Totally agree. :o)

You all have picked out wonderful moments from the series to point out Sherlock's pride in John.

To me it's all about the 'proper, underlying friendship' between these two, as The Moff had named it. :o)

Sherlock an John clicked almost instantly, because they are of the same kind, despite their differences.

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

August 4, 2013 7:08 pm  #14

Best friends for life

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 14, 2013 5:27 pm  #15

Whether you ship them or not, there's no denying that Sherlock and John are completly made for each other.
I especially love the scene in BB (Or "The episode where John is straight for half an episode" as my friend calls it) when he tags along with John on his date with Sarah and says it's for the crime case, but I don't think that's the only reason.

Especially when he occasionaly glares at Sarah, as if he's thinking "Back away from John. He's my John, not yours. He was mine first so go away, stop trying to steal my boyfriend- I mean, my friend. I don't like you, Sarah.. I've never liked you.."

"We do what we like, and we like what we do!" - Party Hard, Andrew W.K

Highfunctioning Digital Fan-artist.

November 14, 2013 9:30 pm  #16

" (Or "The episode where John is straight for half an episode" as my friend calls it) "

I am so totally stealing that from your friend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 11, 2014 5:25 pm  #17

I was watching TGG yesterday and loving Sherlock's proud smirks/chuckles when John was talking to Mycroft about the memory stick case. Here're the quotes (can't find a clip):

Mycroft: Andrew West. Known as Westie to his friends. Civil servant. Found dead on the tracks at Battersea Station this morning with his head smashed in.
Watson: Jumped in front of a train?
Mycroft: It seems the logical assumption.
Watson: But...
Mycroft: But?
Watson: Well you wouldn't be here if it was just an accident.
Mycroft: The MOD is working on a new missile defense system. The Bruce-Partington Program, it's called. The plans for it were on a memory stick.
Watson: That wasn't very clever.
Mycroft: It's not the only copy. But it is secret. And missing.
Watson: Top secret?
Mycroft: Very. We think West must have taken the memory stick. We can't possibly risk it falling into the wrong hands. You've got to find those plans, Sherlock.

I just find it precious how much he enjoys John's part of this conversation.

July 28, 2014 1:49 pm  #18

You all nailed some of my all time favorite moments in this series, the ones I fast-forward to get to.  The establishment of the Sherlock/John friendship makes SIP my favoritest of all the espisodes.

One other moment in SIP that shows Sherlock's developing trust in John is the scene in the apartment where Sherlock is flabbergasted that the pink lady would think about a still-born child in her dying moments.  For one shocked moment, everyone looks appalled, and Sherlock TURNS TO JOHN (whom he barely knows) and asks, "Not good?"  "A bit not good," John replies. 

My heart just turns over at that moment.  You just know they are going to be best friends. Sherlock already trusts John to steer him right, and John already offers that help.

November 7, 2014 5:36 am  #19

I was about to open a "John Watson appreciation" thread when I found this one here. It's way to early over here in Germany to contribute something important (yaaaaawn), but it was a nice read.

Sadly, series 3 is completely unconsidered yet, but hopefully that will change soon ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 7, 2014 7:31 am  #20

I think TSoT is most important here. The best man speech is first and foremost about Sherlock's pride in (and love for) John. Beautiful piece of writing and acting. 

And a sometimes neglected detail - we all remember Sherlock once telling John not to put the unsolved cases in the blog. And now he goes on and on about a case that he has not solved just for the sake of letting John appear in a most favourable light. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera