BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2013 8:16 pm  #1

John vs Mycroft

It seems to me, that John snipes at Mycroft whenever possible.  The bit in Belgravia where Mycroft says their hands are ties regardin Irene Adler, and Sherlock is "I don't applaud your choice of words -  treat her like royalty"  And John snarks "but not like she treats them"
(paraphrasing)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 28, 2014 2:21 pm  #2

Re: John vs Mycroft

Good observation! I have thought the same.

I think there are a couple of things going on here.  First of all, Mycroft tried to intimidate John from the get-go with that elaborate use of spy cameras, mysteriously ringing phones and the empty warehouse.  John doesn't respond well to intimidation, and from the start has been happy to put Mycroft in his place whenever he can.

Secondly, John is entirely loyal to Sherlock.  He can see that Mycroft tries to push his brother around, and as friends should be, he sticks up for Sherlock.  I love especially that grin on John's face (in TGG I think?) when Sherlock practically chases Mycroft on his way out of the flat with a shrill scraping of his violin.

Having said that, Mycroft depends on John to look after his unstable, brilliant little brother, and John accepts that responsibility. In that, they respond to each other as allies.  We see that twice in ASIB, first when Mycroft calls John to keep an eye on Sherlock as it may be 'a danger night', and later when Mycroft gives John the job of telling Sherlock that Irene is dead.

July 28, 2014 2:49 pm  #3

And don't forget, in HLV John did not hesitate to call Mycroft when he found Sherlo0ck was using.

But he just can't help but bring the sass to Mycroft most of the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 28, 2014 4:57 pm  #4

Nobody can really get to Mycroft. That is the beauty of his nearly invisible position. It gives him a sense of untouchability, and I think Sherlock and John's jabs serve to remind him that he isn't invisible and he is just as human as the rest of them. John's teasing grounds Mycroft, which I think is a purposeful act on the writers' parts. It gives Mycroft a little more room to grow. 

It also adds quite a bit of humour, which is perfect in a drama series with such serious themes. 

July 29, 2014 11:58 pm  #5

I just gotta say it:  I LOVE Mycroft.  The show would be missing a lot of its zing without him.  His are the scenes I return to again and again; he is just wonderful.

August 27, 2014 5:12 pm  #6

The scene between John and Mycroft in the Fall of the Reichenbach (I think), when John believes that Mycroft betrayed his brother, is one of my favourite ones. A tense and beautiful confrontation.

All your comments are very relevant. I would just add that maybe John is making with Mycroft what he doesn't with Sherlock. Both brother are prouds, sociopaths, often making a nuisance of themselves.
With Sherlock, John is usually very patient, understanding... But with Mycroft, no need to make any efforts of diplomacy ! He can unwind.

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 27, 2014 7:17 pm  #7

Another Mycroft lover here! I also watch the Mycroft scenes the most. Mark is such a great actor and in HLV I think it shows that Moffat was writing lines for his best friend (are they? in my mind they are). 

I find his relationship with John interesting too. It seems that most of it is implied, it sort of happened off screen. In TGG, John is really intimidated by Mycroft and Sherlock kinda reassures him 'he just has a toothache' but in ASIB, John and Mycroft found common grounds in their concern for Sherlock. I think John doesn't really like Mycroft and Mycroft doesn't like anyone, but they know they can rely on each other when it comes to Sherlock. BTW, I loved that exchange of looks between them at the end of the staircase scene in HLV.

August 27, 2014 7:24 pm  #8

Yes it was a real:  there may be trouble ahead....look.

Last edited by besleybean (August 27, 2014 7:24 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera