BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2013 10:04 pm  #1

Instruments

Quite a few people have mentioned that they play a musical instrument of some kind. I thought it might be quite nice to have somewhere to talk about orchestras, bands or any instrument-related things. Maybe we could find some people who play the same instruments as us. I don't know... It just seemed like a nice idea! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 1, 2013 10:07 pm  #2

Re: Instruments

It's a lovely idea and I will envy all of those who can contribute something here!

I only managed the basics of playing the guitar, and I'm not sure I remember much of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 1, 2013 10:10 pm  #3

I've never tried the guitar, I doubt I'd be any good though. I can do a few chords on my ukulele though!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 1, 2013 10:13 pm  #4

Sounds a lot more interesting than playing the guitar anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1, 2013 10:16 pm  #5

I used to play the E flat horn at school (a loooooong time ago) I managed to get grade 3 and used to play in the school band and orchestra, which was fun, even though I tended to do only the oompa oompa bits! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2013 10:21 pm  #6

Ukulele, E flat horn ... See, I'm in awe already!

June 1, 2013 10:28 pm  #7

I know how you feel Davina. On bassoon it's all either oompa semibreves or twiddly-widdly-three-octaves-too-high semi quavers.
I also play piano and I used to play the trumpet/jazz trumpet. I'm grade 5 in all of them (level 3 in jazz; the levels are different. but I've probably already forgotten how to play my trumpet!!

June 1, 2013 11:23 pm  #8

I play the piano, although not very well (took one hour lesson per week from 1997 to 2001 and that's all)

and a bit of chromatic harmonica.

Just like old times...

June 2, 2013 9:16 am  #9

Oh, I wish I could play an instrument, but I'm extremly untalented in it. I'm not even able to read music.
But if I had the time (and the money) to learn an instrument, it would be the violin obviously.

Last edited by Mary Me (June 2, 2013 11:43 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 2, 2013 11:36 am  #10

I play the Violin (like Sherlock! Teehee! Though maybe not quite as good as he does...), Piano, Mountain Dulcimer and the Acoustic Gutiar. 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 2, 2013 11:45 am  #11

What's a Mountain Dulcimer?

June 2, 2013 11:51 am  #12

Dulcimers have such a wonderful sound. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 11:54 am  #13

Molly Hooper wrote:

What's a Mountain Dulcimer?

It's a string Celtic Instrument, there's two kinds, a Hammered Dulcimer and a Mountain Dulcimer. A Mountain Dulcimer looks like this;

June 2, 2013 12:11 pm  #14

Wow, that's so cool, is it played like a guitar?

June 2, 2013 1:45 pm  #15

Molly Hooper wrote:

Wow, that's so cool, is it played like a guitar?

Nope, both the Mountain and Hammered Dulcimers are played differently. I've more taught myself with the Mountain Dulcimer, but the way to play it is by resting it flat on your lap and then strumming with one of your hands and using the other (either with a finger or a special short stick) to press down on the strings. It's not a difficult instrument.

June 2, 2013 6:53 pm  #16

Molly, I cannot get any links to work but if you go on YouTube you can search for dulcimer and can see and hear both kinds being played. Years and years ago there was a programme on TV about making and playing a dulcimer.

June 10, 2013 9:56 pm  #17

Mary Me wrote:

Oh, I wish I could play an instrument, but I'm extremly untalented in it. I'm not even able to read music.
But if I had the time (and the money) to learn an instrument, it would be the violin obviously.

I picked up the violin again after a bit of a hiatus. I can't really read sheet music either but I am in the middle of trying to learn a little so if anyone has any recommended reading for music theory it would be greatly appreciated.

Violin can be a pain because, unlike guitar, there are no frets or markings to show you where to put your fingers. I've had to learn to play by ear. After 4 months I can just happily prat about on it (quite nicely, no ones ears are getting assaulted here.)

It is a beautiful instrument with a sound that can be very human in the right hands.

Mary Me: I can't speak for anyone else here but for me the best way to learn an instrument was to just pick it up and start playing and do your research on it. If you want to do grades or play in public then I would say you might need a tutor at some point. The only thing you really need to play any instrument, which cannot be taught, is a love of the instrument. It will be your love of the instrument that will carry you through the hours of practice you need to put in to become good (when all else fails a well-placed 'f**k you' does the trick. Remember: it is always the instruments fault, never yours. )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 10, 2013 10:25 pm  #18

Here's some of my history with instruments and music. Started playing piano under my father's tutelage at the age of 6. Started playing guitar when I was 14. Have played a bit of bass and drums along the years, not that good at them but I can hold a basic beat on the drums. The bass is pretty close to playing guitar, just harder to manage with your right hand fingers. My buddies bought me a mandolin for my 30th birthday. Haven't played it much except when I recorded that video awhile ago about some of you guys here on the message board. I also have a harmonica but haven't learned that one either. I also like to call a human voice an instrument of sorts so I feel obligated to mention that I sing somewhat. Some day I'd love to learn the basics of the violin or cello, maybe a brass instrument like the flute or a saxophone. The pan drum, the sitar and the theremin all seem like instruments I'd love to try out some day.

I've played in a bunch of bands along the years. Got to release an album back in 2003 via this Italian recording company specializing in progressive rock. The bands have come and gone but I've still got my solo project I started back in 2005 that I'm not planning on putting aside ever.

My advice to people who are thinking of starting on an instrument but won't get to it for some reason: you don't have to be a master on it. You don't have to be any better than you wish to be. To me, it's enough that I play an instrument well enough that I can learn stuff by ear and use it to create my own music. It's art, not the olympics.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 10, 2013 10:27 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 11, 2013 11:27 am  #19

Dramagod wrote:

My advice to people who are thinking of starting on an instrument but won't get to it for some reason: you don't have to be a master on it. You don't have to be any better than you wish to be. To me, it's enough that I play an instrument well enough that I can learn stuff by ear and use it to create my own music. It's art, not the olympics.

Absolute truth right there.

I did not start as young as you. I was in the orchestra as well as acting classes from about 9 years of age (anything to keep me occupied I guess.) I only played violin for about a year but I've stuck with the acting all my life. My parents were not musical. And my sister is so much more musically talented than me but playing an instrument does offer great joy and comfort.

Good luck with your solo endeavours, let us know how you get on. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 11, 2013 6:37 pm  #20

Ugh, I have a concert of saturday and I just out that we have a 5 hour session, and I have two hours of a separate orchestra in the morning! I'm so stressed!! 

Oh and Dramagod, just so you know. The flute and saxophone aren't brass instruments...

Board footera