BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2013 8:08 pm  #1

Iron Man 3

Yippee! Off to see Iron Man 3 in 3D on Tuesday (cheap date!) Hoping it will be good!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 7, 2013 3:31 am  #2

Re: Iron Man 3

I got Iron Man II in the mail today, so hopefully I will be caught up in time to see III this weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

May 7, 2013 2:52 pm  #3

Saw it Friday evening in a rare night out alone (wife out of town). Watched in 2D, though, as 3D gives this old codger a headache...

Enjoyed it, which is usually a given these days if RDJ is starring. I simply love his great wit and screen presence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 7, 2013 3:03 pm  #4

I'll catch it on a flight or on TV I'm sure. I, surprisingly, did like both of the prior films in this franchise and as Tantalus has pointed out it's been down to RDJ.

Thor was another which caught me off-guard. Great film aimed at children but appreciated by anyone.

Growing up I was never a Marvel fan but with their crossover into cinema it may seem that as an adult I could be. Is that even anywhere near right?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 7, 2013 9:03 pm  #5

I've got into the Marvel series quite recently as a result of Tumblr peer pressure.

Anyway, I love all the Iron Man movies and went to see Iron Man 3 on the second day it came out, in 3D at the Imax. It was brilliant!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 7, 2013 9:18 pm  #6

I like the new film but not as much as the other two. Don't know if this is a good explanation but to me they have more heart and wit. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2013 10:16 pm  #7

Saw it tonight with Mr. And Miss and we all really, really enjoyed it. The one liners are great. Some spectacular special effects and stunts too. RDJ is...lovely. (Eek! Now I sound a bit like Molly Hooper).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 8, 2013 10:31 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

I like the new film but not as much as the other two. Don't know if this is a good explanation but to me they have more heart and wit. 

I know what you mean. Plus, the fact that I didn't feel the bad guy actually had much of a real genuine motive other than "I don't like Tony Stark".

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 19, 2013 2:21 am  #9

I finally got around to seeing it last weekend. It was good, but not super amazing. (It'd be better if they casted more Brits! )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

May 22, 2014 10:47 am  #10

Just saw it on DVD. Loved it. The PTSD was unexpected but very realistic. And Ben Kingsley is hilarious

Last edited by saturnR (May 22, 2014 10:47 am)

May 22, 2014 1:37 pm  #11

Ben is just great in this isn't he...in a rather scummy, creepy, pathetic way.

June 17, 2014 2:06 pm  #12

I just saw the Chinese version & if anybody's interested to know, the main China-only scene that was cut was one that should have been dubbed in English. Prior to Stark's surgery, the Chinese surgeon & his helper (don't know if she's a nurse or doctor) discuss the dangers of said operation. It actually would have made more sense for it to be included in the English version (which felt rushed at the end).

translated that scene basically went:

Nurse: OMG we can't screw up, we gonna kill a hero.
Surgeon: stop panicking
Nurse: but every computer simulation has the patient dying.
surgeon: it's gonna work.

It was a nice scene. For the purposes of inserting Asian actors that Chinese audiences will respond to, it actually helped with the overall plot. Shame they took it out of the English version.

Board footera