BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2012 4:31 pm  #1

Guy Ritchie Sherlock Movies

Has anybody seen the two Sherlock Holmes movies done by Guy Ritchie, with Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock? If so, what did you think of them?

I've only seen the first one but I really loved it...I liked the way it was shot and the fact that it didn't seem old fashioned at all even though it was still set in the 1800s. Sherlock was a real tough guy, great at fighting and very clever of course, it was a cool movie.

Haven't got round to seeing the second one yet, but I believe Moriarty makes an appearance which should provide some fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 9, 2012 4:48 pm  #2

Re: Guy Ritchie Sherlock Movies

ive only watched the second one but i hate it!!!!!!!! i prefer this version. its more interesting and has better actors (benedict and martin) 

February 22, 2012 12:51 pm  #3

To be honest, it doest feel like Sherlock at all.
It feels more like "Tony Stark set in victorian London".

While Robert Downey Jr. is a funny guy, he plays the same type of character in whatever he is atm, just riding the wave.

I think however the second film was better than the first one, but that doesnt say much for it either I'm afraid.

I hope you understand that the knowledge I bring
Puts me in a position of a god or a king
//Clawfinger

February 22, 2012 7:38 pm  #4

arkemiffo wrote:

It feels more like "Tony Stark set in victorian London".

LOL...but then, I love the Iron Man movies too so maybe that's why I like these!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 10, 2012 6:39 am  #5

I admit the first movie more interesting than the second one.. but thanks to those movies, new generations start liking Sherlock Holmes (especially in my country) :D

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

July 18, 2012 12:25 am  #6

Really, that's all about the Guy Ritchie movies in this forum? Uh, that's a bit weird. Now I feel stupid for bringing such an old thread up..

Buuuut I just watched the first Sherlock Holmes movie and I feel the need to inflict my opinions on this world! (Yeah, finally.)
So. I went into watching it very sceptical (Sherlock spoiled me!) but I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it. Recommendation, everybody!

I can see how this is less true to the canon than our beloved BBC series and in no way on the same level, but still very good entertainment. I loved Jude Law as Watson and Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes, brilliant. They seemed more on the same level than our John and Sherlock and I loved how they protrayed their friendship (bromance!). They definitely have good chemistry.
I liked the setting, the cinematography. The Victorian London they showed looked pretty neat.
Some of the action scenes were exaggerated (yeah, it's pretty much an action movie) - especially the one with the french guy, I kinda drifted away during that.
I did not like their Irene Adler, I kept picturing Lara Pulver and she is just sooo much better.
I also didn't like how they showed Holmes planning his every move first and then show how it all happens for real... if you know what I mean. Then wasn't really necessary and took way too long. Our Sherlock would have given one knowing look and we would know that he had a plan worked out by then!

It kinda surprised me where they started the story. So "late" in Holmes' and Watson's relationship. I guess I was used for them being introduced first, but those two...
As I said before, I really really loved the way they portrayed their friendship! I actually felt sorry for this Holmes. He seemed so lonely. How can Watson just leave him theeere?
That's where they belong, Watson and Holmes in Bakerstreet.

Well. I guess I'll watch the second one when I find the opportunity.
- rant over -

July 18, 2012 1:37 am  #7

Oh, and: brilliant music!

July 18, 2012 6:27 am  #8

Thanks, Sammy, I also liked the films although I must admit I liked them more before watching Sherlock  . But you're right, I love their relationship and chemistry. If you like the quiet moments - there are some very nice scenes in the second film (beside the action). Sometimes the action is too loud and overwhelming but of course Holmes was a man of action in a way and he knew an Asian martial art. Therefore it's no crime to show it on screen, I think. It's an interesting idea to start at so late a point in their relationship and to show how it affects Holmes when Watson wants to "leave" him for a woman. One of my favourites from the first movie is the scene in the prison yard when he sleeps at Watson's shoulder and they start one of their usual domestic quarrels.
And in answer to one of the above posts I don't think RDJ is the same in all his films but then I really like him. His Chaplin was brilliant.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2012 7:06 pm  #9

I watched RDJ's Sherlock Holmes last night.  Perhaps I would have liked it, pre-Sherlock, but I rather doubt it.  I'm not a fan of special effects taking over a storyline.  There was about 30 minutes worth of plot in that movie.  Similarly, although I am a huge Three Musketeers fan, I wasn't interested in watching the latest one when I saw the special effects.  When they have the kind of detail provided by ACD or Dumas, why in the world do they need to be entirely special effect dependent?  At least give us enough storyline to keep my attention.  RDJ and Jude Law were both very good in the movie, but I was left wanting much more of them.

One thing I did enjoy was seeing little moments that Moftiss took right out of this movie, I'm assuming just for the fun of it.  Short snippets of dialogue or "rhododendron ponticum".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

September 5, 2012 11:49 am  #10

The two falls:

Game of Shadows: Moriarty threatens Watson specifically causing Holmes to push him off the balcony on a joint suicide mission.

Reicenbach Fall: Moriarty threatens John, Hudson & Lestrade causing Sherlock to contemplate jumping but he does not go through with it until Moriarty shoots himself.

It seems like Sherlock from BBC series has a lot more to lose than Holmes from the films.

September 5, 2012 11:58 am  #11

Fetchinketch wrote:

I watched RDJ's Sherlock Holmes last night.  Perhaps I would have liked it, pre-Sherlock, but I rather doubt it.  I'm not a fan of special effects taking over a storyline.  There was about 30 minutes worth of plot in that movie.  Similarly, although I am a huge Three Musketeers fan, I wasn't interested in watching the latest one when I saw the special effects.  When they have the kind of detail provided by ACD or Dumas, why in the world do they need to be entirely special effect dependent?  At least give us enough storyline to keep my attention.  RDJ and Jude Law were both very good in the movie, but I was left wanting much more of them.

One thing I did enjoy was seeing little moments that Moftiss took right out of this movie, I'm assuming just for the fun of it.  Short snippets of dialogue or "rhododendron ponticum".

I really liked the first RDJ Sherlock Homes movie, but I fell asleep during the second. And I agree that the BBC version is superior. What interested me most about the movies was the actual characters of Sherlock and Watson, not the story lines. For the life of me, I couldn't tell you what the plot of either movie was.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 5, 2012 12:08 pm  #12

Banbha wrote:

For the life of me, I couldn't tell you what the plot of either movie was.

Movie 1 = save England (make sure parliament house doesn't get blown up)
Movie 2 = save Europe (make sure WW1 starts in 1914 like it's supposed to & not earlier)

not much mystery.thinking required

September 5, 2012 12:12 pm  #13

saturnR wrote:

Banbha wrote:

For the life of me, I couldn't tell you what the plot of either movie was.

Movie 1 = save England (make sure parliament house doesn't get blown up)
Movie 2 = save Europe (make sure WW1 starts in 1914 like it's supposed to & not earlier)

not much mystery.thinking required

Ah yes. I do remember a lot of explosions and running around and such.

P.S. I didn't care for their Moriarty AT ALL, probably because I'd seen the BBC version already. I was also far more used to Jared Harris being in Mad Men.

Last edited by Banbha (September 5, 2012 12:14 pm)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 6, 2012 10:30 am  #14

The first of these films was my introduction to Sherlock Holmes; I knew next to nothing of him before then. I absolutely LOVED it, and it inspired me to start reading the stories through (I still haven't finished though, two and a half years later! I've only just started on "His Last Bow"). I agree with a PP that the score was fantastic too.

I really liked the second movie as well, not quite as much as the first, but I definitely liked it more on my second viewing.

I don't really think it's fair at all to compare them to the BBC series. They are different genres and obviously very different interpretations. I love them both equally, TBH. I'm just more obsessed with the BBC series, probably because there's more of it to obsess over!

September 6, 2012 11:44 am  #15

It was nearly the same with me. I read all stories and novels about thirty years ago and forgot about them for many years. Then I watched the films, got hooked on them and discovered "our" Sherlock. They're totally different but both adaptations probably made many people love Sherlock who hadn't known him until then and turn to the books and that's a good thing. Of course the TV series is more intelligent and deeper than the films but they have their merits (and I really like RDJ, BTW). I think it was a nice idea to show Sherlock reluctance - to put it mildly - regarding John's marriage plans. In the canon he's very cool about it but I somehow can't imagine our Sherlock being like that.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2012 1:00 pm  #16

Two Oxford mathematicians helped with the movie getting the mathematical equations accurate on the board for Professor Moriarty.

www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/oxford-mathematicians-help-sherlock-holmes-2.html

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 4, 2012 12:38 pm  #17

Sherlock Holmes is currently showing on Aussie tv and I am watching it as I type. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay money to see it. Actually, I do have more to say (surprise, surprise). I like Jude Law as Dr Watson, nicely underplayed and quite witty, but as for RDJr, can we say, chewing the scenery. He seems to be in a different movie to everyone else. Sorry to RDJr fans, don't hate me. And what the hell is Irene Adler doing, popping up all over the place? Go away  . The music is fab, though.

I did learn something, though. "The game's afoot" is from Henry V. Who knew! Not me, obviously

The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

It made me think of Hiddles.

Last edited by hepzibah (October 4, 2012 1:11 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

October 12, 2012 4:21 am  #18

*shrugs* They are action/adventure movies. I viewed them as such, and held no pre-conceptions of Sherlock Holmes, so I loved them. Some people don't like this type of movie, I get that. But they were very enjoyable for people who do. I am one who is hoping for a third film, to make up a nice trilogy.

October 30, 2012 6:18 am  #19

I  saw the first movie  a week ago.   I  saw it  too when it first came out  on  dvd,  but the BBC  Sherlock made me want to go and rewatch it.   I  liked  it.   Sherlock  (RDJ)  talked too fast,  was WAY  too happy  that watson was with him,  and  it showed that he WAS  jealous that Watson was marrying Mary.  (almost like the canon stories)   Oh,  I  loved those characters.  Throwing Irene Adler into the mix was a brilliant idea, altho at first I  didn't really see why she was there.  Dear Mrs. Hudson had a lot to do,  with keeping Holmes on the straight and narrow.  I  did NOT  like it when Sherlock called her NANNY.   And Gladstone the dog--did you know that Gladstone was one of England's Prime Ministers when Queen Victoria was alive? 

Also--  Jude Law--  Dr Watson in this movie--HE  got his start on one of Jeremy Brett's  Sherlock episodes!!  Yep!!  He was a servant in the "Silver Blaze"  episode.       

Ok  Game  of Shadows  was  better.   Poor Irene, having an untimely end.    Professor Moriarty--  I  didn't think he was EVIL enough . Sebastian Moran...Now HE  was evil to the core.  And MYCROFT!! He calls his brother SHERLY.  Not amusing.    Oh  dear.  well  I  liked MOST  of his scenes.  I'll leave you to your deductions as to WHICH scene I did NOT like.   I  loved the wedding  of John and Mary. I loved the part where John was being a doctor, saving Sherlock's life.   Ok,to fast fwd...I kind of KNEW  it  would end like that. Darn it.  And Watson SAW them  go off the ledge like that!!   Poor Watson.   

A third movie?   They'd better make one,  before the actors get too old, to play their parts.   I  wanna see how Sherlock surprises John that he's alive.  I. Want. It.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

October 30, 2012 7:39 am  #20

I have an idea which scene you didn't like, Skitty.  I think there are men who look slightly better without clothes than Stephen Fry. I had a lot of fun with the films although not enough to join a forum. For this it took Sherlock. 

Board footera