BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2013 7:07 pm  #1

Why was Sherlock looking for a flat mate at that point?

In an interview, Benedict Cumberbatch talked about Sherlock perhaps having difficulty in his school years socially.  As a result, he pushed people away.
We know that he had been talking to Mike the morning John talked to him, and mentioned looking for a flat mate.  It was clear that he had lived in 221b Baker Street for quite some time (his stuff was all over the place and Lestrade went there to find him for the case and the "drugs bust").

One possible explanation is financial.  Perhaps he had been relying on Mycroft for a long time and no longer wanted to.

He was leading John to believe that they would both be moving in at the same time.

Sherlock seemed to have a desire to care for someone.  After making his deductons about John, he is quick to accept him as a flat mate.  He knows that John has a psychosomatic limp, and helps him to stop relying on his cane.  He knows that John caves action and takes him along on the case.  Overall, he figures out that John is someone he can trust.

Throughout the series, it's clear that John's opinion matters to Sherlock more that anyone else's.  Sherlock actually looks slightly upset rather than annoyed (as his would with anyone else) when John is skeptical about his deduction theories.

When they laugh together in the episode, I got the feeling it was the for time either of them had geniunely smiled or laughed for a long time. (Sherlock mentioning that people ususally tell him to piss off when he makes deductions; laughing after chasing the cab several blocks, and laughing at the end of the episode).  There was geniune affection in Sherlock's smile when Angelo brought back the cane.

When Sherlock thinks John is asking him out at the Restaurant (I'm glad they changed that scene from the pilot) he's not disgusted, but seems to be trying to spare John's feelings.  In the Blind Banker, he has no problem loaning John his debit card and seems a little upset when he introduces John as his friend to his old University mate and John says "Colleague"

The first two series are about Sherlock discovering his humanity and ability to care for others (he seems to come to realize that he truly cares about Mrs. Hudson, Molly, and Lestrade).  Maybe he had considered caring to be a distraction or maybe he was protecting himself from being hurt.
I don't think that Sherlock and John or gay (even if I do enjoy some good Johnlock videos, art and stories), but there is geniune affection there.  John is probably the first person Sherlock has consciously realized he has affection for in a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

March 29, 2013 10:45 am  #2

Re: Why was Sherlock looking for a flat mate at that point?

I sort of like the idea that Mycroft is pulling the strings here - I read a fanfic in which he's decided that his little brother needs looking after and compiles a list of suitable flatmates/handlers.  Sherlock circumvents him by getting his own flatmate.  There might be a trust fund over which Mycroft has gained control (perhaps during his drug-addict past), and I can see Sherlock putting up with that if it means not having to worry about boring things like taxes and bill-paying.

As stated by Mark Gatiss, 'We join the story at just the right point, when Watson joins Holmes - without him, Holmes is a rather unbearable man. He's going out there as well. He's getting further and further away, like a distant star.'  Mycroft is obviously well aware of this ('I worry about him constantly.')  And though he would never admit it, perhaps he knows that his brother is right and that he has become too isolated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

March 29, 2013 11:10 am  #3

Wonderful post, josabby. Spot on.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 30, 2013 4:51 pm  #4

I'll admit that the flat is a mess, but I think that maybe Sherlock may have been telling the truth about having just moved all his stuff in, chiefly because Mrs. Hudson hugs him when he enters the building. If he'd been living in the same building for months, would she have been so pleased to see him? 

On the BBC-run website, Sherlock gets evicted/kicked out of his old apartments on Montague street. That's another explanation - he was kicked out and saw the opportunity for a change. That would also explain why he was settled in so quickly: because otherwise he would have to pay for a storage unit to keep his stuff in. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

March 30, 2013 9:49 pm  #5

Very good, Josabby, I really like you analysis. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2013 11:34 pm  #6

And for those who haven't read it, please see Susi's very appropos fanfic. Anyone got the link handy?

March 31, 2013 9:21 am  #7

Thanks for recommending, veecee. Here it is. Hope you'll have fun. 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/677237

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2013 5:57 pm  #8

I just read it as, he'd been kicked out of Montague Place and needed help to pay the rent on the new place...;

oh and yeah he might have moved in first but I didn't think it was ages because Mrs H was so happy to see him. He doesn't normally hug her on meeting.

Last edited by beekeeper (March 31, 2013 5:58 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 1, 2013 6:34 am  #9

Very nice view on the whole thing.  Hadn't thought of some of those points, but suppose I just glossed it over in the midst of enjoying them being thrown together and consequently right into a case and friendship.

The fact that Lestrade knew he was there, that he couldn't have gotten that settled in if he had just moved in the previous day (not to mention Mrs. Hudson's comments about the mess and hugging), that he wanted someone who would put up with him/be able to keep the nice place he found/not depend on Mycroft… definitely right on point with wondering about the timing.  I guess I figured Sherlock was previously like John…. living in a tiny cheap place he didn't like (no room for his experiments and multitude of items!) and when it somehow came up recently with Mrs. Hudson, as an old friend, that she had a place (because he quickly needed a new one, as other people's comments remind me?), he grabbed it (and told John just that he 'had his eye' on it), assuming he'd find a flatmate afterwards, despite what he said to Stamford, knowing how he was with people, and being too isolated.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 1, 2013 10:02 am  #10

yeah but why lie about it? That's what I don't get. Why not just say, "I need a flat mate?"

I think its rather that he's deduced that it will work out with John and so for that reason he goes ahead and moves in. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

April 1, 2013 11:07 am  #11

John is probably not the first person that Sherlock has asked to share the flat with him but he's the only candidate that passed Sherlock's pre-moving-in test. I get the feeling that everything that happens in the spisode from their meeting in the lab to when Sherlock says "Mrs Hudson, Dr Watson will take the other room" is Sherlock testing his potential flatmate and seeing if they will go well together. Prior candidates would have been told to go packing but with John, Sherlock invites him to stay.

April 2, 2013 7:15 am  #12

I honestly don't think Sherlock actually 'needs' a flatmate, the way he and Mycroft talk and act, the clothes he wears, I think he comes from money. I think he actually wanted a flatmate. He mentions in one of the episodes something along the lines of 'genius needing an audience', I think it applies to Sherlock himself as well.

Just my 2c. -shrug-

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 2, 2013 10:56 am  #13

Sampy Arctica wrote:

I honestly don't think Sherlock actually 'needs' a flatmate, the way he and Mycroft talk and act, the clothes he wears, I think he comes from money. I think he actually wanted a flatmate. He mentions in one of the episodes something along the lines of 'genius needing an audience', I think it applies to Sherlock himself as well.

Just my 2c. -shrug-

I'm rather in agreement with you, Sampy.  My thought has always been that the Holmes family comes from money and that probably Sherlock has a sizable trust fund lurking in the background and therefore no need of a flat mate; however, I picture him refusing to use it.  I picture him stubborn enough to thwart Mycroft about it; in part, because he knows it will irritate him.  (Mycroft essentially sneers and looks down his nose at unassuming little 221B). I also see him as determined to show Mycroft, and everyone else in the world for that matter, that he can support himself in his chosen profession without any help. It's part of his adventurous, contrary nature to go his own way.  So while he may not have 'wanted' a flatmate, his chosen life-style makes one necessary at this point.  And I also agree with you about genius needing an audience.  That's all part of it too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 2, 2013 12:28 pm  #14

I really like the idea of refusing to use his trust fund out of stubboness. Its stands to reason he has money, assuming he's from old money. I'm guessing that his father at least is no longer alive. The other possibility is that there are conditions attatched to using the trust fund, or that it can only be used for certain things. Or you know, he might have spent it on white powder and now be reliant on Mycroft.

I did read somewhere I am sure (on here?) that the writers wanted to find a way to work in him getting a Christmas card-from his mother. My money has always been on the Holmes brain actually coming from his mother (the Vernet reference). 

The thing is too, if Mycroft has inherited the Holmes estate you'd expect Sherlock to have too. So if he isn't using that money there's probably a reason why.

My assumption is that its kind of canon til proven otherwise that Sherlock's dad had an affair, Sherlock told his mum and thus his troubles began. Its not in the canon but its in other old fanfic (the 7% solution iirc and Young Sherlock Holmes). I HATE this theory, I much prefer the idea that the brothers are just normal siblings writ large. I think Sherlock is the reason for his own angst, he doesn't need a catalyst. But its what I'm guessing is what they'll hint at. Probably with a case involving a kid who squeals on his dad and with whom Sherlok and Mycroft then overemphasise/bicker over

ETA oh the other possibility-Mycroft we assume has control of any trust funds because of the drug habit. So he actually forces him into a situation where he needs to find himself a flatmate, so he's not totally alone, by limiting the amount of money he will give him.

keep saying this too but I much prefer the idea of them not being from old money. I prefer the reason that they are both outsiders to be that they are, that they are from quite an ordinary family really but used their extreme abilities to get to where they are now. But I accept that there is no evidence at all for this in the canon!

Last edited by beekeeper (April 2, 2013 12:35 pm)

April 2, 2013 4:07 pm  #15

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sampy Arctica wrote:

Just my 2c. -shrug-

I'm rather in agreement with you, Sampy.  My thought has always been that the Holmes family comes from money and that probably Sherlock has a sizable trust fund lurking in the background and therefore no need of a flat mate; however, I picture him refusing to use it.  I picture him stubborn enough to thwart Mycroft about it; in part, because he knows it will irritate him.  (Mycroft essentially sneers and looks down his nose at unassuming little 221B). I also see him as determined to show Mycroft, and everyone else in the world for that matter, that he can support himself in his chosen profession without any help. It's part of his adventurous, contrary nature to go his own way.  So while he may not have 'wanted' a flatmate, his chosen life-style makes one necessary at this point.  And I also agree with you about genius needing an audience.  That's all part of it too.

Yes, and Yes.   Again, never really gave much thought to their family background/money situation, but even without looking at it too closely, it's definitely easy to get the vibe of being well off and isolated (despite all their contacts) from the brothers.  I mean - Mycroft basically kidnapped John just to see who the heck this man was, who so easily fell in with Sherlock!  Maybe Donovan's comment threw me off a little when I first started.... she's wondering why John is there too and warning him off, telling him "He's not paid or anything. He likes it. He gets off on it."   Huh... so we know Sherlock takes cases for the thrill, but to not even care about getting paid?  Yeah, definitely must have money to fall back on, and I like the various images you guys are throwing around of Mycroft controlling the trust fund or what have you (perhaps his seniority, perhaps Sherlock's habits), Sherlock breaking away, looking for someone just so he doesn't have to rely on the fund too much, and have a built-in audience to boot.  Especially later, with comments about John being able to hold down a job, you gotta wonder who's paying the bills....  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 2, 2013 4:25 pm  #16

Remembering also that in The Blind Banker Sherlock does not want to accept the cheque from Sebastian. To him it is not all about the money. John's keen though! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 2, 2013 6:45 pm  #17

I think its as much that he's impractical and doesn't think about money

I'd say, to a British and hence highly class system aware mind, it doesn't quite work that they are straightforwardly rich old money. There's something else there. Even Mycroft doesn't quite fit in. Sherlock's acceptance, say with Harry the equerry, is because of Mycroft. There's something odd-they are not quite accepted, I think, somehow....Does anyone else, especially Brits perhaps, get this sense? Its because of this that I've wondered if they are, say, illegitimate, possibly the children of a mistress.

April 3, 2013 1:57 am  #18

erunyauve wrote:

I sort of like the idea that Mycroft is pulling the strings here - I read a fanfic in which he's decided that his little brother needs looking after and compiles a list of suitable flatmates/handlers.  Sherlock circumvents him by getting his own flatmate.  There might be a trust fund over which Mycroft has gained control (perhaps during his drug-addict past), and I can see Sherlock putting up with that if it means not having to worry about boring things like taxes and bill-paying..

It seemed to me that Sherlock was looking for a flat w/ flatmate because he just got out of rehab. ("Still the addict...") I agree that Sherlock wouldn't ke let Mycroft picj k one for him (either flat or mate) so Shelrock contacts Mrs. Hudson. 

By Mycroft seems to have a reather large ampount of information on John at their first meeting.  Perhaps Mycroft found John a likely candidate for someone with some miliarty experience to keep an eye on Sherlock, and told Stamford what route John used we hen he left his weekly therapy sessions. 

Traditionally, the oldest son inherits the bulk of an estate and the younger some sort of trust, at least until he marries, when he may come into more.  But I don't think that's where Sherlock's money comes from, because I don't think he'd take money directly from Mycroft.  I think Sherlock is working for the Bristish government as well, as outlined in this post.

April 3, 2013 1:59 am  #19

beekeeper wrote:

I think its as much that he's impractical and doesn't think about money

I'd say, to a British and hence highly class system aware mind, it doesn't quite work that they are straightforwardly rich old money. There's something else there. Even Mycroft doesn't quite fit in. Sherlock's acceptance, say with Harry the equerry, is because of Mycroft. There's something odd-they are not quite accepted, I think, somehow....Does anyone else, especially Brits perhaps, get this sense? Its because of this that I've wondered if they are, say, illegitimate, possibly the children of a mistress.

Bee, I suppose this might be possible in canon as both brothers are drawn as rather eccentric and a touch bohemian; but in BBC Sherlock, they seem to come from a privledged, highly educated, if not wealthy background. Mycroft is completely accepted in society, is in the highest echelons of the government which he apparently controls, and appears to be a polished gentleman from his head to his umbrella. I'm not feeling quite the "oddness" from this show that you seem to be refering to.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 3, 2013 9:56 am  #20

yeah I watched it again last night (the hardship!) and I know what I mean here but its hard to explain. Its just a sense that comes from him. He does fit in but in order to do so he has to be incredibly carefully controlled. 

I think also-a lot of the time, this is actually how British power works. You have the utter toffs at the top, the queen and so on. But often, your next level down, will be people who have really had to work to get where they are and stay working to tread water, along with duffers who are there because of their rich dad. He's accepted but its a conditional acceptance somehow. In the olden days, he might have been a rich but Catholic family or something.  There's something there and I'll just have to watch a few more times I suppose and try to explain exactly what, <sigh> ....watching again...how will I cope...;-) .

Also, and its a small point, but he does have a slight northern twang. I don't know if this is intentional or if the actor playing him is northern. Sherlock just seems to have a straightforward southern accent.

But also, dramatically, there's something quite uninteresting to me about Mycroft's power being essentially hereditary. I like the idea that he had to work for it. I like the idea that he is trying to reign in Sherlock because these brothers do have to work for their position in society and do have to prove themselves. They are not the children of a Lord, for example (or if they are, they are illegitimate)

It is a little as though he's trying almost too hard, as though every detail has to be perfect. The attention to detail with his experience, his power complex-if he really was from the level of old money implied, he'd probably use that, rather than renting a car park to impress John. He'd have the space to  be a little more quirky and let a little more personality show. Old money basically equates to sophistication and crediility in the UK to some extent (much as I dislike this) and he has the air of someone trying to "pass".

Its subtle this one but I think if you've known a lot of public school educated old money people as I have (my uni was full of them), you can spot something not quite right here.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 3, 2013 10:25 am)

Board footera