BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2013 2:46 pm  #1

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking

This has Rupert Everett as Sherlock Holmes and Ian Hart as Doctor Watson. I have to say I really enjoyed this production. The story is not an original Conan Doyle but is written by Alan Cubitt. It has however many references to and phrases from the original stories. There is depicting of drug use and the murders have  a psycho-sexual motivation. Michael Fassbender gives a great performance..

This  first broadcast by the BBC in 2004.

I liked Rupert's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes very much indeed and Watson was more than a mere cipher. The police are portrayed as being out of their depth, as usual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2013 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking

This sounds good. I like Rupert Everett ever since watching "Another Country" in a London cinema in 1984. OMG, that's nearly thirty years. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2013 3:11 pm  #3

The YouTube link won't work for some reason. If you type the title into the search it will find it for you.

Last edited by Davina (February 28, 2013 3:13 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2013 12:22 pm  #4

I found this to be a huge waste of time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

November 8, 2014 9:03 pm  #5

I love this film so much, it was my "first love" with Sherlock Holmes. Rupert Everett did a very good job and his performance of the latent homosexuality of Sherlock in this movie was so brilliant.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 8, 2014 10:47 pm  #6

I watched the film some days ago and really liked it. Well played, interesting story, and they captured Holmes' loneliness on losing John quite convincingly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2014 11:50 am  #7

Yeah, I really like this one too. I've watched it several times actually. The interchange between Holmes and Watson's fiancee really amuses me. And that bit at the opium den where Watson asks for a tea or something and Holmes speaks to the guy in Chinese and says "don't get him anything".

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera