BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2012 4:10 pm  #1

Doctor Who, Where to start?

Well, i have finally decided to check out Doctor who. I have always been a big Sci Fi fan ( Seen almost all the Star Trek episodes ) and i have heard that Doctor Who is a really good series. But, the problem is: Where to start? Can i just jump into a random episode, or do i have to start watching from the beginning?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

March 11, 2012 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Doctor Who, Where to start?

If you start from the beginning, the real beginning you will need to spend a long time watching because it started in 1963. Difficult to say really. You could start with the series starring Christopher Ecclestone, which was the first of the new series of Doctor Who, after a break of many years, then David Tennant's Doctor and finally the present Doctor, Matt Smith.

Maybe once you've got up-to-date you could then go back to the start of the old Doctor Who, I think you can get them on DVD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 11, 2012 4:32 pm  #3

I think that would still take quite a long time, even just starting from the beginning of the new series...I think in theory you probably could just start with any old random episode because most of them make sense in their own right...but there are some things that you wouldn't understand that are references or continuations from past episodes.

Hard to say really. The Christmas/New Year episodes are always good...and I know a lot of people who ONLY watch them at Christmastime, so they do make sense on their own.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 13, 2012 3:23 am  #4

Well, at the risk of being stoned on this particularly forum, I'm not as big a fan of the Moffatt/Smith combo as I was the Davis/Eccleston and Davis/Tenant episodes. I strongly recommend watching from the beginning of the 2005 series. If nothing else, watch the first and last Chris Eccleston episodes as they go a long way toward explaining the mythology in the Doctor Who universe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 13, 2012 6:23 am  #5

Thank you all! I started at the 2005 series and i love them! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

March 13, 2012 10:40 pm  #6

When I was wandering around Bart's hospital two days ago the following came in sight:

Last edited by tobeornot221b (March 14, 2012 8:26 am)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera