BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2013 4:27 am  #1

which characters r theists & which r atheist?

SaturnR analysis:

Sherlock = atheist (100% sure)
Mycroft = atheist (99% sure)
John = agnostic (he has sense of morals but doesn't go to church - that we know of)
Molly = theist (not actually sure but she works in a morgue - that's gotta get to you)
Irene = atheist (99% sure)
Mrs Hudson = theist (not actually sure but people from her generation are more likely to be theists)
Moriarty = theist (hard to explain but I just think that he is).

January 9, 2013 5:00 am  #2

Re: which characters r theists & which r atheist?

I'm not sure why you think "sense of morals" means "not an atheist". I'm not even entirely sure what you mean by "sense of morals," but I assume you mean it's an ability to determine right from wrong and have empathy for your fellow human.

Last edited by equiraptor (January 9, 2013 5:04 am)

January 9, 2013 5:08 am  #3

**giggles**
Yes I must say the stereotypes are dripping out if that post, being pushed along by sweeping statements .

I'm more bemused by this recent curiousity of characters' religious beliefs. The Earth going around the sun is more relevant that that to these stories.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 9, 2013 5:11 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 9, 2013 7:46 pm  #4

I suppose John to be theist... I don't know why but sometimes I got the impression.
Otherwise he has seen the war... That can ruin your faith.

By the way, I'm atheist, if someone cares.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 9, 2013 8:17 pm  #5

The only thing we know is that Irene and Mrs Hudson both wear crosses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2013 10:02 pm  #6

besleybean wrote:

In case of The Woman... could be blasphemy.

Last edited by Mary Me (January 9, 2013 10:04 pm)

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 4:24 am  #7

besleybean wrote:

Maybe they belong to a cult?
You never know these days, so hard to pick a cultist.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 10, 2013 6:44 am  #8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2013 4:42 pm  #9

Since believing in god is not really a logical thing at all, I'm sure Sherlock wouldn't believe in god. I guess, he considers faith as another sentiment-thing and you know that's not his division.

I think John is not religious, but I can see him believing in some kind of higher power, not openly, but for himself, like many people. He would turn to this higher power in great danger and desperate moments. Come to thinkg of it, he does that in the series: "Please god, let me live."        That's kinda like me. I consider myself to be agnostic, but sometimes I just HOPE there is someone up there, although I don't really believe it.

As for the other characters... I have no idea.

January 11, 2013 5:10 pm  #10

Also, when he has had his big row with Sherlock he is to be found the next morning in the churchyard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2013 5:12 pm  #11

Hera wrote:

Since believing in god is not really a logical thing at all, I'm sure Sherlock wouldn't believe in god. I guess, he considers faith as another sentiment-thing and you know that's not his division.

I think John is not religious, but I can see him believing in some kind of higher power, not openly, but for himself, like many people. He would turn to this higher power in great danger and desperate moments. Come to thinkg of it, he does that in the series: "Please god, let me live."        That's kinda like me. I consider myself to be agnostic, but sometimes I just HOPE there is someone up there, although I don't really believe it.

As for the other characters... I have no idea.

I can only agree with that.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 5:16 pm  #12

Truth is, we don't know.

January 11, 2013 5:17 pm  #13

Maybe things will clear up in the coming season.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 5:19 pm  #14

Or they may choose to stay away from that minefield.

January 11, 2013 5:32 pm  #15

besleybean wrote:

Or they may choose to stay away from that minefield.

Yeah, you are probably right, although I think it's a shame, that it's not possible to discuss such things more openly. But then... this way, as it is now, everyone can see it the way they want to.

January 11, 2013 6:19 pm  #16

I would accuse the writers of being cowards, but we possibly have to accept the issue isn't really relevant.

January 11, 2013 6:23 pm  #17

That's true.  Not for the show, anyway... for us, of course, everything's relevant. :D

January 13, 2013 10:17 am  #18

But Sherlock isn't an atheist if he believes in himself 
Irene Adler would agree with me.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 13, 2013 11:41 am  #19

Just an observation that will tell us nothing after all.
The Holy Bible Sherlock takes from his shelf seems to be a well-thumbed book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 13, 2013 11:44 am  #20

We know Sherlock consults the Bible during BANK.  It is a book that most people in the UK would have in their homes.
I have SEVERAL bibles in my house and also a Koean and a Gita.  
I am atheist.
Sherlock's bible may have been a family book or possibly a school prize.

Board footera