BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2012 9:17 pm  #1

Random questions

So I watched the reichenbach fall again and yeah.. I still don't understand it at all :''D I got some random questions. I'm sorry, they are probably already discussed, but here goes:

Those two gifts the tie thing (I don't know what it is called) and the cufflinks. Sherlock said that he doesn't use them and he didn't. Did Moriarty? I mean was he wearing things that are called the same? (sorry my english)

Mycroft mentioned that something happened in 1972 and he wouldn't like that to happen again. What was it? (bad at history too)

What was the meaning of the little blue ball u know? I think there were two scenes Sherlock playing with it!

Who told John that Mrs.Hudson had been shot? Who was the one who called him?

Why did Sherlock said that Moriarty didn't wrote anything down? He did wrote, didn't he?

What was the thing about the dust?

I think I saw I.O.U three times: the apple, windows, and the one with those wings. Is that some kind of secret language or meaning that only I can't understand? :''D And btw. were there more of them?

Many thanks if some one answers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in Sherlock Holmes

✓JohnLocked

December 30, 2012 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Random questions

Shemika, when I read such a long list, I wonder if I will ever be able to finish it 
You are right, most of them have been discussed here already. If you try the search option, you will find quite a lot of possible answers to your questions.
However, I will give it a try and start with number 1: Yes, Moriarty wears such tie pin and cufflinks. In his case, the tie pin (to be seen in TRF) shows a fox.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 30, 2012 10:44 pm  #3

Harriet wrote:

However, I will give it a try and start with number 1: Yes, Moriarty wears such tie pin and cufflinks. In his case, the tie pin (to be seen in TRF) shows a fox.

Perfectly right, Harriet.
Here you are:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 30, 2012 10:46 pm  #4

Number 2: As far as I can recall, there was no event in 1972 that is likely the one mentioned. Sorry 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 31, 2012 3:19 am  #5

Ok, I guess your confusion is mainly about trying to understand the translation of the words. So as far as possible, I shall give you the straight answers, just the plain facts as we saw and heard them. Then you can draw your own conclusions from them.
You can find a copy of the script HERE, done by the lovely Ariane DeVere

Those two gifts the tie thing (I don't know what it is called) and the cufflinks. Sherlock said that he doesn't use them and he didn't. Did Moriarty? I mean was he wearing things that are called the same?
Yes, as answered already tie pins and cuff links. They are just jewellry for men. They are common gifts to give in those formal situations. Moriarty does have them as you can see in the photo. He dresses very well so it is normal for him to wear them. Mycroft probably does too. Just not Sherlock I guess, lol.

Mycroft mentioned that something happened in 1972 and he wouldn't like that to happen again. What was it?
We are never told what it was that happened in 1972. But Mycroft said, 'with so many diplomats and politicians enjoying a drink or two at the club' so we might presume it was some kind of Government secret that was told to the wrong person after too many alcoholic drinks were had. By making a rule that you cannot talk they hoped it would stop that happening again.

What was the meaning of the little blue ball u know? I think there were two scenes Sherlock playing with it!
It has been suggested that he may have used the ball to temporarily stop his pulse after he fell from the building.
Here is a link to how that magic trick works:HERE
The little rubber balls are also used by peole just to bouce around to relieve stress and tension.

Who told John that Mrs.Hudson had been shot? Who was the one who called him?
We don't know, it was never told to the audience.

Why did Sherlock said that Moriarty didn't wrote anything down? He did wrote, didn't he?
Moriarty carved the letters "I O U" into an apple. He never wrote anything with a pen or pencil however.

What was the thing about the dust?
"Dust is eloquent". Sherlock meant dust was a good sign of telling whether something had been moved even a little on a shelf. There would be a fine line of clean surface instead of dust from where the thing moved had been sitting. He was looking to see what had been moved because he thought someone was spying on them somehow.

I think I saw I.O.U three times: the apple, windows, and the one with those wings. Is that some kind of secret language or meaning that only I can't understand?
I O U is a short way of writing "I owe you" .In English, if you do a favour for someone they will often say " I owe you" meaning they will return the favour one day by doing something equal for you.
Moriarty said " I owe you a fall".
There were only 3 IOU signs shown.

There are many threads on these subjects in the forum. If you want some links to some, just ask and we can find them for you.
Once you read them, post in that thread if you don't understand something & one of us will be able to help you.

I guess what you really need to tell us is if it is just a translation you want or are you asking us all for our ideas about what we think happened.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 31, 2012 11:22 am  #6

I was with you until the phone call about Mrs Hudson: John tells Sherlock it was a paramedic on the phone...incidentally, it says something different in The Casebook!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 31, 2012 1:20 pm  #7

A paramedic! It really was, I checked it out.

Thanks ur answers were helpful and real real smart btw

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in Sherlock Holmes

✓JohnLocked

Board footera