BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2012 6:13 pm  #1

Anime or Manga, any Otakus?

I thought, Otakus are all over the world, so there might also be some here on this board!

I for one like Manga more than Anime. I'm not that obsessed but I still love it ^^I also started visiting a convention.

So, are there any other Otakus? Are if there are: What do you read/watch? Let's just talk about it a bit.

MK

P.S.: I didn't know where to put it, I don't know whether it would fit in "books" because you could call them comics and there also is anime and that's more a TV Program so... I think "Other" fits quite well.

December 13, 2012 12:03 am  #2

Re: Anime or Manga, any Otakus?

The first time I watched anime was in the 80s as a kid, when I saw the whole series of GINGA: NAGAREBOSHI GIN. Every kid my age saw that show even though if we didn't really realised what anime was. That show was both scary and touching. The death of Riki still gets me every time I watch that episode. The music in that show is awesome.

I haven't read that much manga, I'm more into anime. One of my favorite directors is Hayao Miyazaki and I think many of his films are magical. Even better than many Disney films. My favorites from him are PRINCESS MONONOKE, SPIRITED AWAY and LAPUTA - CASTLE IN THE SKY. If I had seen it as a kid, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO would've blown my mind. I mean that is a perfect movie for kids and adults as well. There's nothing cuter than the catbus. I've watched several anime series like COWBOY BEBOP, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION and WOLF'S RAIN. I'm a bigger fan of feature films though so movies like AKIRA, GHOST IN THE SHELL, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES and WINGS OF HONNEAMISE (the film that really got me interested in anime) have special places in my heart. I'm not one of those "anime and manga nuts" but I do enjoy watching anime quite a bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 13, 2012 2:02 pm  #3

I looked up GINGA: NAGAREBOSHI GIN and it looks so cute ^^ I'm sure I would have liked it too as a kid ^^
My Neighbor Totoro is so great

I'm not that nuts too... but I've got friends who are and since I enjoy it, I go along... After all the convention (it's not a big one) was real fun!

February 1, 2013 4:48 pm  #4

I grew up with anime and manga, though I am not very crazy about it now. My all time favorites are Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk and Gensomaden Saiyuuki

February 11, 2013 8:25 pm  #5

I wouldn't call myself an Otaku but I like reading mangas sometimes and I'm interested in Japanese culture and language.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

February 11, 2013 8:51 pm  #6

My daughter who's 11 is completely into manga and anime.Some of her favorite are Alice academy, Maid sama, Shugo chara, Fruits basket, and many others.  I used to read quite a lot of shojo manga when I was living in Japan, but not anymore. My favorite are some classic manga of the time, which I read in the early nineties, and probably young people never heard about them. I did buy the first volume of Christie High Tension (Young Miss Holmes in English) but I haven't read it yet.

February 11, 2013 9:13 pm  #7

So who here has seen the 2006 anime THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME and is it as great as everyone says it is?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 21, 2013 11:02 pm  #8

As a child, I loved Japanese anime like Maison Ikkoku, Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, Captain Tsubasa, Pastel Yumi, Sherlock Hound, Little Princess, Little women...

Now I still watch anime sometimes, and also read manga.

My favourite (more recent) anime/Manga are Get Backers, Death Note, Gravitation, Junjou Romantica, Sekaiichi hatsukoi, Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler...

Just like old times...

June 21, 2013 11:44 pm  #9

I used to translate it about 10 years ago for a scanlation group, and my absolute favorites were Full Metal Panic!, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ranma, Juuni Kokki and Fruits Basket.  I used to translate the Full Metal Panic! light novels into English.  But then I had kids and now our anime consists of Miyazaki movies

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 26, 2013 8:23 pm  #10

I draw in a group (a doujinshi circle) called Apocalypze. We go to conventions to sell our books. I'm currently busy with a detective story (what else ;) ) I like reading manga and watching anime altough I'm not really following series right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Wise men talk because they've got something to say, fools because they have to say something ~ Plato

September 3, 2013 12:34 am  #11

Ooh, I love anime and manga! I've watched lots of the Miyazaki films, and have just recently started getting manga books from the local library! I finished my first series just yesterday, and it was really good, although quite sad. It was called Madoka Magica. I also LOVE drawing manga! When I am able to get my dad to help me, I will post some of my manga drawings on here! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

September 7, 2013 6:57 pm  #12

Ewww, that's not my area at all. Although I know quite a lot people that are into animes and the like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera