BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2012 8:36 pm  #1

fanfic idea: molecular gastronomy

Musing about Sherlock's kitchen skills, I had the idea of Sherlock discovering molecular gastronomy for Baker Street,
perhaps after John gave him a voucher for such course as a gift?
Sounds funny and promising, but I cannot write it.
Anybody? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 24, 2012 9:15 pm  #2

Re: fanfic idea: molecular gastronomy

Good idea. KP, what do you think? Dangerous chemical and physical experiments involving food. Followed by a candlelight dinner. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 24, 2012 9:29 pm  #3

A bunsenburner light dinner 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 25, 2012 2:04 am  #4

Oh no Susi......writing about molecular gastronomy would be way over my head - unfortunately, not my area or my division . I'm just not that smart.  But I bet you are!

But I love the idea of a bunsen burner light dinner!   Now that I might be able to work in somewhere.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 25, 2012 12:02 pm  #5

Harriet wrote:

Musing about Sherlock's kitchen skills, I had the idea of Sherlock discovering molecular gastronomy for Baker Street,
perhaps after John gave him a voucher for such course as a gift?
Sounds funny and promising, but I cannot write it.
Anybody? 

Sounds like fun. I would like to try. I don't know much about molecular gastronomy, but with some internet research it should work. If nobody else wants to take the challenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

November 25, 2012 12:08 pm  #6

That's great, QE, have a go. Looking forward to reading it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 25, 2012 12:14 pm  #7

I believe, KP, you are smart enough, only of course it is useful to know a bit about organic chemistry.
Looking forward to your burner light dinner story 

QE, brave girl! Good luck with your try! 

As romantic as Sherlock gets ... 

November 25, 2012 12:54 pm  #8

Fine, I'll give it a try then. We'll see how romantic he can really get.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2012 7:32 pm  #9

Would you mind if I also use the bunsen burner idea? It fits so perfectly into the story.

November 28, 2012 7:35 pm  #10

Wow, that sounds promising! Yes, go ahead, pls! 

Last edited by Harriet (November 28, 2012 7:44 pm)

November 28, 2012 7:55 pm  #11

I've finished a rough draft. It's going to have three or four chapters and be completely crazy. But I still have to do the research for the cooking part and get the language and grammar right, that's going to take a while.

November 28, 2012 8:07 pm  #12

How is it going? Do you enjoy writing? 

November 28, 2012 8:55 pm  #13

Yes, very much at the moment. It's fun. Although Mrs Hudson wouldn't find funny what Sherlock is doing to her kitchen.

November 28, 2012 9:04 pm  #14

LOLOL To HER kitchen? Can't wait to read it 

November 28, 2012 10:15 pm  #15

QE, this sounds really great. Very exciting! 

November 28, 2012 10:24 pm  #16

I'm grinning from ear to ear already - can't wait to read it!  Go QE!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 29, 2012 8:35 am  #17

If you can find any links to the chef Heston Blumenthal's work these might prove useful. He is well-known for using high level scientific techniques in his cooking e.g. dry ice/card ice. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 29, 2012 8:44 am  #18

Davina wrote:

If you can find any links to the chef Heston Blumenthal's work these might prove useful. He is well-known for using high level scientific techniques in his cooking e.g. dry ice/card ice. 

Isn't he one of the persons that aren't evil but have evil sounding names? Heeestooon Bluuumenthaaaal … 

November 29, 2012 6:11 pm  #19

Yes, I "used" him for the story also but changed his name to "Vallefiori".

November 29, 2012 6:14 pm  #20

Very good. And it doesn't sound as evil as his real name.

Board footera