BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2012 7:21 pm  #1

The Watson Formula (short stories)

This is my first attempt at a fanfiction story. While I was writing something else, this story just accidentally "happened"  because my own little version of Sherlock appeared in my head and threatened to talk me to death if I didn’t write his story down.

It is a short, thriller-like story, no slash (rather friendship-based), set somewhere between HOUNDS and REICHENBACH, planned as the first part of a series. Inspired by the pilot, James Bond, and this: http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheSteadfastTinSoldier_e.html
Rated M for violence, because there is some shooting and fighting and people die …

Of course it was difficult to write in English for me as a non-native speaker. Please tell me if you find any mistakes.

So here it is: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8697359/1/The-Watson-Formula

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (December 2, 2012 9:13 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

November 12, 2012 9:47 pm  #2

Re: The Watson Formula (short stories)

I´m reading it at the moment (even though I should be in bed already. Poor kids at school, will have to work quietly during the first lesson tomorrow, because their teacher will be tired...), and I love it.

I can SO see Sherlock´s ...direct dating approach at uni. And the fact that HE thinks John´s strange sometimes is lovely!

Geez, I´ve never really wondered what it was that Molly gave him for Christmas.

Okay, I can´t continue to review without creating spoilers, but I really love your story. If you´d like a more detailed praise, I could sent it to you. 

Will review and "fav" it on fanfiction.net as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 12, 2012 10:18 pm  #3

Aw, the poor kids.
Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 13, 2012 1:47 am  #4

Oh I really rather liked that one QE! Let us know when you post more!

(Loo reckons the gift was a mankini)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 13, 2012 3:55 am  #5

Just finished reading this, QE.  Very, very good - and hard to believe you are a non-native English speaker.  I didn't find one thing wrong with the words or grammar. The story kept me very entertained and involved.  Not too many stories are from Sherlock's POV using his voice, so this was a treat. And the tin soldier concept was just lovely to behold.  I can't tell you how perfect that was! Bravo! Friendship-based, yes; but the possibility of perhaps something 'a bit more' was lurking just below the surface and I really, really liked that.  Excellent!  Please write more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 13, 2012 7:15 am  #6

Very good, QE! So much in character (loved the dating approach  ) and very well written. I'd like to read more by you, so keep on going. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2012 5:45 pm  #7

Thank you very much!

Wholocked wrote:

(Loo reckons the gift was a mankini)

I know, but I found my idea a little more romantic.

November 13, 2012 5:54 pm  #8

The idea was so cute. Just had to remove my spoiler. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 13, 2012 5:55 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 16, 2012 5:28 pm  #9

I played around with photoshop elements yesterday and made a little cover for it.

I should have started writing fanfiction earlier. It's fun. But then, there was nothing to write about before Sherlock.

December 2, 2012 1:24 pm  #10

Now the next one is finished.
Well, we all know what Sherlockians do while waiting for series three – get bored and write fanfiction. But what does Sherlock do in the meantime? That’s what this story is about.

We have already seen him drunk in The Watson Formula, now let’s have a look at what he’s like when he’s sober (hopefully) and depressed (very). It’s three years after the fall, and it’s Christmas …
It is a short story once again, post-Reichenbach, absolutely platonic (*cough* ok, that got a little out of hand here ) and slightly AU.
Rated M for the implications.

Here is the story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8757618/1/Snow
As a soundtrack, I recommend this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MhpFF1vv0 (since it was mostly written to the rhythm of it).

December 3, 2012 11:10 am  #11

Oh, QE, this made me cry, how cruel of you. But then … well, don't want to spoil it for the others. Go on, read it, it's brilliant. 

December 3, 2012 12:58 pm  #12

Loved it, QE!  Keep writing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 3, 2012 6:11 pm  #13

Thank you for reading and for your nice comments. Sorry for making you cry, Susi. I hope it was not too bad.

December 3, 2012 6:41 pm  #14

Nooo, a good cry now and then is absolutely fine. 

December 3, 2012 6:51 pm  #15

Oh, well done, QE! I love the deductions Sherlock makes - quite in character. And my fav sentence is: "John has a leg, Mrs Hudson has a hip, and I have a heart." So sweet!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 3, 2012 8:53 pm  #16

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Board footera